ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Buck was "dropped" from the team may not be known unless/until he decides to reveal it. Although some people don't like any rules or standards they do exist for students and more so for the privilege to play on a college team with a scholarship. The fact Buck is no longer on the team indicates he violated one or more rules. J.J. Avila who at one point was going to attend Richmond did not do so for some reason that remains unknown. He "violated" one or more rules of the Naval Academy and was dismissed from the school. Formerly if that happened one had the "privilege" of serving as an enlisted service member in the Navy. That requirement has been changed. Avila has been referred to as someone whose non admittance to Richmond hurt us. Perhaps his violation of Naval Academy rules was the factor that precluded his admittance to Richmond. In Buck's case glad he remains as a student and it is unknown if his future will be like DWill and he continues his education at Richmond. There have been students in the past who were dismissed from the school and after a year allowed to come back. I have no clue if there is any possibility that Buck could eventually be reinstated to the team. Wish him the best and also without knowing the facts do not fault the school for having standards that have to be followed.

Reactions: Ulla1
I have to believe Mooney fought like hell for the player in question. He saw $13,000,000.00 slipping through his fingers. Bet he got an ear full when he got home too.
The good news is that $13,000,000.00 will be realized and probably even more with extensions.

"Whether it’s the coaches’ fault, the player’s fault, the program’s fault, the academic standards of the school, the transfer culture in basketball, whatever. If you want the current players to stay, find some positivity inside of you and channel it."

and let the bashing of Wallace commence ... now.

Seemed like a long article with very little info. Basically, he said we don't know exactly what happened with Buck, but we should both believe in Buck and stop bashing Richmond basketball. That is all I got out of it.

Reactions: regatw
Andrew's in an interesting position. He's the only local journalist publicly calling for accountability at UR, while he shares a studio each day with an employee of the University who can't be critical of his employer. Come to think of it, Bob's in an interesting position, too.

I'm just tired of the whole thing. It's exhausting. We are where we are. As long as the decision makers are calling what we have "tremendous success" nothing is going to change. We're a CAA/Patriot league team in the Atlantic 10.

"Whether it’s the coaches’ fault, the player’s fault, the program’s fault, the academic standards of the school, the transfer culture in basketball, whatever. If you want the current players to stay, find some positivity inside of you and channel it."

and let the bashing of Wallace commence ... now.

No way. Andrew tweeted that his sources tell him there's more bad attrition news to come, though. Maybe he's walking that back?

He's not a journalist and says so specifically in that column. He's paid to give opinions, and he did so. I appreciate his transparency with things.

Fair enough. I guess I just don't like his style, seemed like there was nothing of substance in there at all.

Reactions: VT4700
Very good points as well Broccoli, I think Moliva made a similar one, we are essentially operating as a patriot league school playing in the A10 - hoping something changes in the near future.

You are correct, Wallace appears to be walking back the more bad news scenario. Many were wondering if that was Nick. I guess he saw what happened when Buck went into talk to Mooney as was like: "hmmmmmm".

Pretty clearly not trying to be a journalist:

I am a talk show host. My job is to try be fair and tell you how I think things are.

I incorporate journalistic techniques in my game, but am not a beat writer, or someone who’s job is to strictly report ONLY the facts and have a relationship with one team.

People are just speculating on what happened. Unless Buckingham or the coach speaks truthfully, we will never know. The loss of KF and Buckingham is going to hurt big time. It’s not many highly rated guys left on the market. Whatever he got suspended for by the school, some school will give him another scholarship. It's all about talent on the Div 1 level,we have seen this story many times. I wish Buckingham well.

Last edited:
Wallace does a Richmond radio talk show. He is not a journalist and he states that. We should be happy that he is actually taken interest in our program as most of the other local radio guys are on the dime of our rival. Burton still has the taint smell of Shaka on his nose.

Reactions: SpiderK and KWeaver
Wallace does a Richmond radio talk show. He is not a journalist and he states that. We should be happy that he is actually taken interest in our program as most of the other local radio guys are on the dime of our rival. Burton still has the taint smell of Shaka on his nose.
Wallace is a simpleton. Really is into whatever he can get noticed. No intellect. No message.

Reactions: SpiderPlant
Are academic scholarships guaranteed for all four years?

No.

Agreed on the conspiracy theories. Wish they'd stop.

Disagree that Mooney is feeling the heat. I don't know how 32 knows, but I believe he does know, that Coach is going nowhere.

Academic scholarships are typically guaranteed as long as you meet certain standards like minimum GPA.

Academic scholarships are typically guaranteed as long as you meet certain standards like minimum GPA.

My point, shouldn't an athlete have to meet certain minimum standards. Many grades are subjective with the Professor, just as performance in the eyes of the Coach.

I have to believe Mooney fought like hell for the player in question. He saw $13,000,000.00 slipping through his fingers. Bet he got an ear full when he got home too.
How hard he fought to keep Buckingham is debatable. On one hand - like you said, he could have seen a really good team in the next 2 years that might have likely scored him another raise an extension, or more lucrative power 5 conference offers if we made the NCAA tourney in 2 years.

On the other hand - he has already made a lot of money, and is owed a lot of money if we fire him. So is there really any motivation and fear of losing your job when you have already made millions of dollars. And I have to imagine - with Mooney being a Princeton Grad - he is smart with money and probably doesn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to. Not to mention - he would likely still show up on a bench somewhere either as an assistant for a few years and/or work his way back into head coaching, just going back to lower conference for now. All in the while collecting a paycheck at the same time.

I would say the chances are 50/50 he tried to keep Buckingham. He is set for the rest of his life at this point and is playing with house money, UR house money - at this point.

Reactions: RVAballing
How hard he fought to keep Buckingham is debatable. On one hand - like you said, he could have seen a really good team in the next 2 years that might have likely scored him another raise an extension, or more lucrative power 5 conference offers if we made the NCAA tourney in 2 years.

On the other hand - he has already made a lot of money, and is owed a lot of money if we fire him. So is there really any motivation and fear of losing your job when you have already made millions of dollars. And I have to imagine - with Mooney being a Princeton Grad - he is smart with money and probably doesn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to. Not to mention - he would likely still show up on a bench somewhere either as an assistant for a few years and/or work his way back into head coaching, just going back to lower conference for now. All in the while collecting a paycheck at the same time.

I would say the chances are 50/50 he tried to keep Buckingham. He is set for the rest of his life at this point and is playing with house money, UR house money - at this point.
50/50 he tried to keep Buck? Wow. I disagree with that a lot!
Mooney loves having a glue guy on the floor and Buck could have been his best one yet. I don't see money as much of, or any of, a factor at all.
This team still has talent but don't see the kind of versatility that Buck had anywhere on our roster.. Without him our players have more of a defined role and less able to easily "go big" or "go small" and an injury to any starter is much more pronounced with his departure So ya, I think he tried his tail off to keep him!

50/50 he tried to keep Buck? Wow. I disagree with that a lot!
Mooney loves having a glue guy on the floor and Buck could have been his best one yet. I don't see money as much of, or any of, a factor at all.
This team still has talent but don't see the kind of versatility that Buck had anywhere on our roster.. Without him our players have more of a defined role and less able to easily "go big" or "go small" and an injury to any starter is much more pronounced with his departure So ya, I think he tried his tail off to keep him!
Agreed...anyone at this level has an ego...he may have gotten lazy but he wants to win....he would not want any of his key guys to leave.

This makes no sense to me.

Tough to keep someone who wanted to leave. You don't think we could have worked with Buck on whatever his transgressions were behind the scenes. Maybe suspended him from the team for a while or maybe the first semester.

But we went with the nuclear option because we knew Buck had one foot out the door.

Tough to keep someone who wanted to leave. You don't think we could have worked with Buck on whatever his transgressions were behind the scenes. Maybe suspended him from the team for a while or maybe the first semester.

But we went with the nuclear option because we knew Buck had one foot out the door.
Seems odd that we would be vindictive...i have to believe policy overrode this and we had to cut ties.

Seems to me like there is no point in discussing what happened since none of us have the facts. People are just making up stories to fit their narrative, and I don't think it is good for Buck, Richmond or the board.

Buck is not going to be here next year, I wish him the best.

Some people do know more than others about what happened, so I think the discussion is relevant. It's also important to understand the timeline of what happened, for some obvious reasons.

Some people do know more than others about what happened, so I think the discussion is relevant. It's also important to understand the timeline of what happened, for some obvious reasons.

I don't doubt that many people have heard a few 2nd or 3rd hand bits of info through the grapevine from one side of the story and filled in the blanks with self-serving details. Each side will obviously want to leak info that puts them in the best light while leaving out info that makes them look bad. I seriously doubt that anybody posting on this board has a full understanding of all the details from both sides. I also don't think that even if there were posters that fully understood what happened, that the board would be an appropriate place to discuss it.

I'm getting second-hand rumors as well from folks I trust (take that for whatever it's worth), but would tell you that @Rivercup and @LongTimeSpiderFan seem to be more right than they are wrong. If these rumors are true, I am of the understanding the dismissal was warranted by the AD.

I think we need to be respectful of the process and let things run their course and, in due time, we will have a much better understanding of what actually happened and the reasons for all of this.

In the meantime, Roll Spides and let's lock up some new recruits.

I know I agreed we should just move on and let Buck move on, but since you want to look at the timeline, let's look at the timeline.

We know he got a 1 game suspension during the season. He sat when we were on a 5 game winning streak, so I would hope we could leave the conspiracy theories out about this event. We can all agree he messed up at this time, and sat a game for it, right?

Now, after the season, look at his twitter and all of the "keep your head up", "hang in there", and "praying for you" posts to him on his twitter on April 17th. Not for several weeks or days in a row, but only on the 17th. Then, a day later, on the 18th, he is dismissed for violation of athletic department policy, not team rules. Not assuming anything as fact, but the timeline sure does say something happened on the 17th, right?

Combine that with our policy of a warning, then a 1 game suspension, then being dismissed and it is fair to think the April 17th mess up could be related to the 1 game suspension. No, it does not have to be, so again, not trying to say I know for a fact what happened, but based on his twitter, it looks like it got out on the 17th that athletic department rules were broken and he was dismissed on the 18th.

Now, if it were just team rules or he did little wrong and we chose to boot him when we did not have to, why wouldn't Buck voice his displeasure and question this? If we did anything at all wrong with rules regarding this, why wouldn't Buck be saying so? What reason would Buck have to stay quiet if the above is not true? Wouldn't he be the first to echo these conspiracy theories if there were anything to them? It would make him look a lot better if he did, especially with the team he is transferring to, so why wouldn't he?

I have no inside info and everything I posted is already out there, so, I guess people can think whatever they want based on the timeline of events. Sorry, I will try again to move on and let Buck move on as well.

I know I agreed we should just move on and let Buck move on, but since you want to look at the timeline, let's look at the timeline.

We know he got a 1 game suspension during the season. He sat when we were on a 5 game winning streak, so I would hope we could leave the conspiracy theories out about this event. We can all agree he messed up at this time, and sat a game for it, right?

Now, after the season, look at his twitter and all of the "keep your head up", "hang in there", and "praying for you" posts to him on his twitter on April 17th. Not for several weeks or days in a row, but only on the 17th. Then, a day later, on the 18th, he is dismissed for violation of athletic department policy, not team rules. Not assuming anything as fact, but the timeline sure does say something happened on the 17th, right?

Combine that with our policy of a warning, then a 1 game suspension, then being dismissed and it is fair to think the April 17th mess up could be related to the 1 game suspension. No, it does not have to be, so again, not trying to say I know for a fact what happened, but based on his twitter, it looks like it got out on the 17th that athletic department rules were broken and he was dismissed on the 18th.

Now, if it were just team rules or he did little wrong and we chose to boot him when we did not have to, why wouldn't Buck voice his displeasure and question this? If we did anything at all wrong with rules regarding this, why wouldn't Buck be saying so? What reason would Buck have to stay quiet if the above is not true? Wouldn't he be the first to echo these conspiracy theories if there were anything to them? It would make him look a lot better if he did, especially with the team he is transferring to, so why wouldn't he?

I have no inside info and everything I posted is already out there, so, I guess people can think whatever they want based on the timeline of events. Sorry, I will try again to move on and let Buck move on as well.
A square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square, and
An athletic department violation is a team rule violation but a team rule violation isn't an athletic rule violation.
I tend to believe when DM sat his one game suspension for violation of a team rule, it may have been a violation of an athletic department rule (what that was we can speculate) and by saying it was a violation of a team rule was simply CMs way of saving Buck some embarrassment.
No conspiracy - simple explanation.

Reactions: Spider2020
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT