ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think to flunk three drug tests is a problem. A stupid thinking problem , above any basketball.
Get help because you are not a superman. You are a young man who gets applause for the bouncing ball, goes to college for free, has helpers and still makes the stupid thinking problem, Get to the mirror because this is what is real . Not applause and headbands. You have a young life and you are making bad choices, THREE TIMES. Get to the mirror and what s to see now. You can begin again, there is time , good things can happen for the future . But for now , but superman you are not,to remember this. Make a smart choice not another stupid choice. Because it is only YOUR CHOICE>

I do not agree. Marijuana is highly addictive. It is a gateway drug that leads to greater use. With the prevalence of drugs on campus, I suspect he was using other drugs. He clearly has an addiction problem. Instead of being dismissed he should be rehabilitated. Don't just cut him loose. He should not be alone through this.

Reactions: Eighth_Leg
I do not agree. Marijuana is highly addictive. It is a gateway drug that leads to greater use. With the prevalence of drugs on campus, I suspect he was using other drugs. He clearly has an addiction problem. Instead of being dismissed he should be rehabilitated. Don't just cut him loose. He should not be alone through this.
that's what his family and friends are for.

This really sucks. I was really looking forward to two more years of Buck, Oh well, got to move on. All this speculation about weed and him shopping for other schools is pointless. I'd like to see some honest explanation from the coach or player, but I doubt we ever get that, which means the details are embarrassing for the player, coach or program. No reason to make this worse by airing that.

This is just speculation, but I doubt it was other drugs as well. I don’t think Buck is a bad guy, just needs to make some changes in his life. That might actually be easier for him to do at a school farther away from home.

Reactions: KWeaver and urfan1
Well, here is a blast from the 1980's drug war. Marijuana is not "hightly addictive" nor is it a gateway drug.

I have no idea if Buck was using marijuana or any other drug. Buck is 19-20 years old, probably not doing anything different than what most of us did at that age. Whatever he did broke the athletic department "rules" which Jim Miller the other day only giving one example as to what those rules were was multiple failed drug tests.

We all make bad choices and Buck is a big loss. I will miss his hustle and smile, but I believe he struggled with being a leader on this team this season. Pressure can be a life changer for anyone.

Reactions: plydogg
Loved Buck as a player and really felt he wound up being a great glue guy during his freshman season, which was very admirable. He brought an attitude and approach to the game that made the team better during his first year. Think he tried to do too much 2nd year and put too much pressure on himself. Had a feeling at the beginning of the season that the Buckingham Palace banner was indicative of everyone putting too much on his shoulders, just too soon for a sophomore. Administration: Please don't ever produce something like that again, especially for someone so young.

Some interesting stuff over on lamb nation from folks claiming to know how things went down.

Some interesting stuff over on lamb nation from folks claiming to know how things went down.
Yes, as much as I hate to admit that guy is right, he has had insider information on Richmond in the past that has been on target - and he seems pretty confident in this case. Again, the timing of this makes very little sense. I just cannot and will not believe that the staff was convincing him to stay and even dropping his highlight video in the middle of this if there was a third drug test awaiting results that they were aware of and would cause his dismissal. This smells rotten. And now I am still waiting for Fore's replacement, and now Buck's. We needed two guards that can play A10 level defense and at least one that can handle the ball vs. A10 level pressure. Still waiting.

The University actually has an amazing resource on campus for this type of thing in CAPS (Can't remember what the acronym stands for). It is absolutely free to use and any student can go for any reason.

The University actually has an amazing resource on campus for this type of thing in CAPS (Can't remember what the acronym stands for). It is absolutely free to use and any student can go for any reason.
Counseling and psychological services I believe

Buck was a hell of player for us and is no longer. I think pure speculation will do nothing to help him or us. Strongly encouraging people to use best judgement with discussing him.

I do not know the answer to this but since some people are thinking things seem fishy I have a question about NCAA policy.

A team cannot dismiss a scholarship player from the program without cause right? Since they are on scholarship and that cannot just be revoked without reason?

I've seen a few conspiracies here and elsewhere that the University dismissed him instead of releasing him to save face, and it seems like that would violate NCAA regulations but I ask because I do not want to make that statement when I do not know if it is actually true.

My mom was a scholarship athlete at Colorado State and when she blew out her knee that was the end of that scholarship. I know the NCAA has since changed/adjusted rules but I have no idea in regards to this scenario what the rule would be.

I do not know the answer to this but since some people are thinking things seem fishy I have a question about NCAA policy.

A team cannot dismiss a scholarship player from the program without cause right? Since they are on scholarship and that cannot just be revoked without reason?

I've seen a few conspiracies here and elsewhere that the University dismissed him instead of releasing him to save face, and it seems like that would violate NCAA regulations but I ask because I do not want to make that statement when I do not know if it is actually true.

My mom was a scholarship athlete at Colorado State and when she blew out her knee that was the end of that scholarship. I know the NCAA has since changed/adjusted rules but I have no idea in regards to this scenario what the rule would be.
I do not know about and do not want to talk about this situation.
But I do believe most scholarships are for 1 school year, not 4.

Last edited:

You are simply mistaken in every one of your assertions. Cannabis is not any more of a gateway drug than caffeine or nicotine, and certainly not as much as alcohol. Studies have shown that only 9% of users develop any dependency yet 15% of alcohol uses become addicted.

"Marijuana “does not appear to be a gateway drug to the extent that it is the cause or even that it is the most significant predictor of serious drug abuse,” the Institute of Medicine study said. The real gateway drugs are tobacco and alcohol, which young people turn to first before trying marijuana.
"Marijuana isn’t addictive in the same sense as heroin, from which withdrawal is an agonizing, physical ordeal. But it can interact with pleasure centers in the brain and can create a strong sense of psychological dependence that addiction experts say can be very difficult to break." (See below)

Buck does not need rehabilitation any more than you need deprogramming from your beliefs that cause you to ignore scientific data, and you should stop attempting to perpetuate such myths, especially when they can have an impact on someone's life. If you do not believe what I say, please do some research yourself. It's all out there and easily accessible. If nothing else, take to the Internet where you will find an abundance of scientific evidence evidence on the topic.

Though I suspect that you meant well, sweeping false generalizations are counterproductive to a meaningful discussion and your post could do more harm than good as far as Buck or anyone similarly situated is concerned. I do not know your credentials or what you base your diagnosis and treatment plan upon, but I can tell you with certainty that both your assumptions and your assessment are wrong. They are not merely unsupported, they are contradicted by scientific data. If you're interested in the facts about cannabis, you could start with reading the three articles below.

1. What Science Says About Marijuana
2. The Federal Marijuana Ban Is Rooted in Myth and Xenophobia

3. Experts Tell the Truth about Pot - Scientific American

F6600BC9-3E48-4A73-B77FC534BD1C5BA5.jpg

You are simply mistaken in every one of your assertions. Cannabis is not any more of a gateway drug than caffeine or nicotine, and certainly not as much as alcohol. Studies have shown that only 9% of users develop any dependency yet 15% of alcohol uses become addicted.

"Marijuana “does not appear to be a gateway drug to the extent that it is the cause or even that it is the most significant predictor of serious drug abuse,” the Institute of Medicine study said. The real gateway drugs are tobacco and alcohol, which young people turn to first before trying marijuana.
"Marijuana isn’t addictive in the same sense as heroin, from which withdrawal is an agonizing, physical ordeal. But it can interact with pleasure centers in the brain and can create a strong sense of psychological dependence that addiction experts say can be very difficult to break." (See below)

Buck does not need rehabilitation any more than you need deprogramming from your beliefs that cause you to ignore scientific data, and you should stop attempting to perpetuate such myths, especially when they can have an impact on someone's life. If you do not believe what I say, please do some research yourself. It's all out there and easily accessible. If nothing else, take to the Internet where you will find an abundance of scientific evidence evidence on the topic.

Though I suspect that you meant well, sweeping false generalizations are counterproductive to a meaningful discussion and your post could do more harm than good as far as Buck or anyone similarly situated is concerned. I do not know your credentials or what you base your diagnosis and treatment plan upon, but I can tell you with certainty that both your assumptions and your assessment are wrong. They are not merely unsupported, they are contradicted by scientific data. If you're interested in the facts about cannabis, you could start with reading the three articles below.

there are plenty of surveys/studies that say Marijuana is addictive, There are all kinds of addictions mental/physical etc
I really don't care about the debate, I'm mixed about legalization etc...... but if someone is told they can lose a $50k a year scholarship if they don't stop the activity and they can't/don't stop what would you call that? Addictive or not it's illegal and I don't believe Donte is of age, is he?

Listen Ive smoked my share and it isnt all roses. It certainly has some strange effects on people. The idea that its "all good" isnt reality.

This guy who lived in my neighborhood was a good athlete then started smoking weed. A few months later he quit all sports, let his hair grow to his elbows, and bought a pair of wood chucks that he would practice with alone in the woods behind our houses. His entire personality changed and he became completely antisocial. This went on into his twenties.

Then one day he comes up to me in a bar and I couldnt recognize him. Clean cut, smiling, girlfriend, hanging out w a bunch of friends. He had gottenna job at the post office and couldnt smoke weed anymore. He should be a clinical study on the effects of marijuana. And I think many of you guys have similar stories. It might not kill you and it diesnt make u violent, but it can do some psychological damage to some people.

reefer madness. Agree 100%. marijuana is 1,000 times safer than alcohol or any other drug. If it was a gateway drug, I should be a heroin or crack addict haha

My wife and I were discussing this topic. First, I don’t think it’s definitive that he was dismissed for drug violations. But if so, I don’t get it but don’t have a problem with it. If you’re getting a scholarship to a four year college and can’t be at least smart about your drug use, if not withhold, then that’s on the athlete.

But again, I’m not sure if anyone other than the insiders know if this is the case.

My wife and I were discussing this topic. First, I don’t think it’s definitive that he was dismissed for drug violations. But if so, I don’t get it but don’t have a problem with it. If you’re getting a scholarship to a four year college and can’t be at least smart about your drug use, if not withhold, then that’s on the athlete.

But again, I’m not sure if anyone other than the insiders know if this is the case.
Tbone, I really think we would be wondering what the heck happened if not for Jim Miller's interview. Buck could have cheated on a test, or accidentally fenced stolen property, or got in a fight and charged with assault (case sealed) or a bunch of things. But Jim Miller conveniently laid out this scenario of failed drug tests. So thanks for launching this discussion Jim.

Tbone, I agree with you and Fezz and others saying this is on Buck - TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. If Jim Miller's scenario is true, it does seem obvious that the school was willing to work around this without any real consequences. In fact, knowing he had asked for his release they were still trying to woo him back despite the fact that they would have known he failed the test. It was only when he really was going to leave did they enforce this drastic action. Unreal.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Tbone, I really think we would be wondering what the heck happened if not for Jim Miller's interview. Buck could have cheated on a test, or accidentally fenced stolen property, or got in a fight and charged with assault (case sealed) or a bunch of things. But Jim Miller conveniently laid out this scenario of failed drug tests. So thanks for launching this discussion Jim.

Tbone, I agree with you and Fezz and others saying this is on Buck - TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. If Jim Miller's scenario is true, it does seem obvious that the school was willing to work around this without any real consequences. In fact, knowing he had asked for his release they were still trying to woo him back despite the fact that they would have known he failed the test. It was only when he really was going to leave did they enforce this drastic action. Unreal.
I don’t think that’s what really happened based on what I know. But again, I suspect only insiders really know the specifics.

Reactions: Spider2020
Buck could have cheated on a test, or accidentally fenced stolen property, or got in a fight and charged with assault (case sealed) or a bunch of things.

Buck was dismissed from the team NOT the school. These are things that would result in dismissal from the school as well as the team. He is still attending classes and is still enrolled at the school. So I think it is very unlikely any of these are the case.

It was only when he really was going to leave did they enforce this drastic action. Unreal.

Or Buck knew he would fail a drug test so tried to get out in front to save face. Or the failed drug test happened after he asked for his release (much less plausible).

I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but I don't think the school is going to commit a crime when it comes to dealing with a player on the basketball team.

Buck was dismissed from the team NOT the school. These are things that would result in dismissal from the school as well as the team. He is still attending classes and is still enrolled at the school. So I think it is very unlikely any of these are the case.
Oumar Sylla was I believe convicted of theft. Mooney did not kick him off the team - fought to keep him on the team. Also, he was not kicked out of school.

I do not know about and do not want to talk about this situation.
But I do believe most scholarships are for 1 school year, not 4.
Scholarships are 1 year and not 4 years. As mentioned - some conferences are trying to change this. But a coach does not need a reason to revoke your scholarship, they can do it just simply to free up space for more players if they want. But in reality - majority of coaches either push a player to transfer because then it looks like the kid wants to leave, or the kid gets kicked out for some reason (breaking AD policy, team rules, etc). You dont want to be a coach who revokes scholarships for no reason - because no kid would want to go to your school, they would be scared at any moment you might not like them and just cut them off.

Reactions: KWeaver
Scholarships are 1 year and not 4 years. As mentioned - some conferences are trying to change this. But a coach does not need a reason to revoke your scholarship, they can do it just simply to free up space for more players if they want. But in reality - majority of coaches either push a player to transfer because then it looks like the kid wants to leave, or the kid gets kicked out for some reason (breaking AD policy, team rules, etc). You dont want to be a coach who revokes scholarships for no reason - because no kid would want to go to your school, they would be scared at any moment you might not like them and just cut them off.

The so called power five conferences do not do 1 year scholarships anymore, and guarantee 4 years. This means they cannot be simply revoked.

Do we have confirmation that Richmond has not followed this model, and still bases their scholarships on the previous one year renewable model? If so, we as fans/alumni/human beings should be pushing Richmond to adopt the 4 year model. It is simply the right thing to do for our athletes.

As for the rest, yes coaches under the one year renewable model (and now especially in the 4 year model) push kids to transfer/explain the limited or non-existent playing time they’ll be receiving.

They don’t/can’t fabricate team rules or AD rules violations. They may however not back the athlete when he or she does violate said rules, instead of fighting for them/supporting their rehabilitation as a player/person at the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT