ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson McGlothin - 2024 Signee

Well how about that!? Another versatile wing-type guy.

San Francisco and Mason probably his best other offers.

Based on his Instagram, six weeks ago we were in his top 7 with Rice, Holy Cross, Mason, San Francisco, Montana State, and UT Arlington, and he's coming off visits to Holy Cross and UTA in recent days.

Reactions: MDspider8
Watching his HUDL highlights. Lot to like about this guy. Tall shooter, can get up a bit too. Very nice!!

I guess Gipe and company don't want us to get any work done today :)

let's go!!!
nice high release. doesn't need much room to get it off.
same home town as TJ.
Great to see the former players pitching in and helping out. Sounds like TJ gave a pitch, according to JOC's article, and Grant with Mikkel. Good of them to help and good work by Mooney and staff to use all resources available.

Curious (I don't need to know $ amounts) to know if we were able to utilize some NIL $ to help seal the deal. Both these guys look like players that could possibly have some P6 interest if they waited a little longer (could be wrong on that), so maybe at this junction in time we were able to make attractive offer. Or maybe not a factor at all, but I wonder. We know St Johns and St. Mary's offered Soulis, so guessing we had to be competitive there.

In any case I do like the looks of '23 and '24 classes. They have to do it on the court but seems very likely a few of these guys will end up being very good players.

Both these guys look like players that could possibly have some P6 interest if they waited a little longer...
waiting is so risky to me. arguably we're done with wings now (?). Caden and Noah may have both loved us but didn't pull the trigger. they let others make (part of) their decision for them.

if it's me, as soon as I find the right team, I'm making the call. especially after AAU is done. right now you don't get the chance to impress anyone until December.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
I would absolutely still take either Noah or Diggs, but probably not both unless Jaylen is planned to slot in as a true big.

Reactions: urfan1
I would absolutely still take either Noah or Diggs, but probably not both unless Jaylen is planned to slot in as a true big.
I would love one more also. play all 3 some day as 2/3/4.
Jaylen can't go bigger than the 4 though.

I would love one more also. play all 3 some day as 2/3/4.
Jaylen can't go bigger than the 4 though.
Yeah, didn't really mean him as a 5, but if he still had the potential to grow an inch or two and put on a bit more weight, I was thinking about him being a main man at the 4, leaving 2/3 available for McGlothin and one more.

Reactions: spiderman
Brief interview with McGlothin...UR "checked all the boxes" for him.

Brief interview with McGlothin...UR "checked all the boxes" for him.

loved his answers!

Reactions: spiderman
Why do these recruits like Coach Mooney and half of you want him fired. Don’t they know
what you know?

You are aware that every head coach at every school in college basketball history has been able to get recruits right? Have they all been superstars in your opinion then? That's a pretty low bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
Why do these recruits like Coach Mooney and half of you want him fired. Don’t they know
what you know?
Actually what you should have cited was the quote about the “stability” and Mooney being at UR for 19 years as being one reasons he signed. That is different than liking the coach.

Reactions: gcarter52
One other note on McGlothin, when I was looking at one of his HUDL season highlights again, I thought hmmm he does not look as strong or as explosive as I first thought. Then I realized was looking at his soph year highlights. I know there are some tapes of him doing box jumps and he has spoken in interviews about getting stronger and more explosive. I thought it really shows when you compare soph to junior year highlights. Hopefully keeps that improvement coming, looks like he could be monster by the time he arrives.

Do you think with the transfer portal the way it is - this means we, and other mid-majors like us could possibly be in line for some better HS recruits that historically were on the fringe or P6 interest, or possibly would get some late interest if they wait and play well? Just thinking - if I am a P6 recruiter, why not just let the kid go to a mid-major, get playing time, show what he can do, and then maybe in 1-2 years - I swoop in and recruit them to transfer up now that I see what they can do. Rather than I take the kid - he sits on our bench for 2 years, and then maybe plays if he develops, or he leaves cause he is upset not playing. Just goes back to the feeder system that smaller schools may become for bigger schools. But the result is we get better HS recruits early on, and if they can play well and play right away - you could have something with them for 1-2 years.

I don't think so. I think P6's will recruit HS just as they always did and fill all the slots they can. they know they can't play 13 guys anyway. they'd like to develop talent.

but with the current portal, they'll lose some guys in April that aren't playing and don't see upcoming playing time. they'll replace those with transfers like the kind you describe above. some that are leaving other P6 programs. others that outperformed the level of program they signed with.

Not what I've read sman. I agree w Trap here. High majors r holding more ships open for transfers. Now u could argue they really don't have to because they'll continue to lose transfers in the spring opening ships back up. But less r still going to hs recruits right now. I guess we'll have to see the data. Maybe someone has that data, or we need to wait a few more years for larger sample.

in theory that should get the mid majors more shots at better hs recruits. Outside the top 100. The coaches don't have to project as much w hs recruits bc they can rely on proven transfers. I don't think those borderline P6 guys r getting the qty of offers in the same way they were pre-portal. So I think there is opportunity there, the issue will be keeping them. And of course a school like Richmond will still have to use the portal well too.

Agree GKiller - and that might be where a strong NIL helps keep a kid or two. Burton is a good example. He played well at UR, certainly helped his stock from when arrived as a Frosh. But then he leaves for Villanova - cause the NBA Is not an option anymore. Would he have stayed with UR of the NIL Collective could have paid him 500K or more? Maybe not. But that has to make a good think twice before leaving.
Now the bigger question - would our NIL collective be willing to pay out big money north of 500K for one kid? I am going to say NO.

Agree GKiller - and that might be where a strong NIL helps keep a kid or two. Burton is a good example. He played well at UR, certainly helped his stock from when arrived as a Frosh. But then he leaves for Villanova - cause the NBA Is not an option anymore. Would he have stayed with UR of the NIL Collective could have paid him 500K or more? Maybe not. But that has to make a good think twice before leaving.
Now the bigger question - would our NIL collective be willing to pay out big money north of 500K for one kid? I am going to say NO.
I would say no as well. But if we were to pay out a lot of money for one kid, it would have to be on a player for fit a need on a team that was ready to compete for an NCAA bid.

That was not the situation we had this year with Tyler. To me, it would have been foolhardy to pay big bucks to Tyler to bring him back to the squad we have assembled for this year, who even with Tyler is probably at best a mid-pack A-10 team.

Now, if you have a team like we had in 2020-2021 and we could use it on a big time player, I would have a different approach. I hope whomever runs this thing takes things like this into consideration and doesn't just spend to spend. You have to spend wisely and timely.

I thought we were rumored to have offered a big NIL to Tyler.
just not Villanova big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT