ADVERTISEMENT

Bethune Cookman

Remember the name, but not much else. Wasn't he a highly regarded recruit that may not have ever unpacked his suitcase?

In November 1988 he wore number 4 for us, not sure for how many games vs exhibition games.

And as I said about Bethune, it appears they are number 7 nationally in 3 point percentage this year. If so, this would be a good game to work on our perimeter defense.

He played a total of 42 minutes in 8 games for us, before he got ruled academically ineligible after his first semester. Wanted to transfer to Marquette, but that didn't pan out and he ended up at Cleveland State.

He was part of the trio of Pittsburgh area stars along with Herndon and McCoy that committed to UR that year and which we got nothing out of. McCoy reneged on his UR commitment to join Calipari at Mass, and Herndon followed him after a semester.

These two teams average about 95 points a game. Should be a barn burner!!

I certainly hope this game is not a barn burner. BCU generally finishes in the bottom 50 of D1. Their first game was not against a D1 school. They do have some transfers, so, we'll how they do. They don't have good size, so maybe a chance for us to rebound better. I hope we get quality minutes for our freshmen.

Reactions: SpiderK
DT 6/8 from FT. Career high, and trey hits his second 3 of the game. Defensively still not where we need to be

Why do y'all think Moran was in during the first half? To make sure we kept others out of foul trouble?

I'm curious to see the rebound stats because it does appear we did better this game.

I have a minor concern about fouls. Shawndre, Kwan and Marshall had four fouls apiece tonight. Shandre had four against Wake; Marshall had three. We need to be a little more efficient with the refs calling more fouls in situations this year. We lost Terry at Wake with five - but he was guarding bigger guys. Just hope we are careful without losing our aggressiveness. Pistokache looks like he can help us at the guard spot - a good thing, indeed.

Reactions: urfan1
DT must be working on his FTs! 3/4 thus far

After 4+ years....
Good all around games by Taylor recently, he certainly seems to be doing a better job of understanding his role and playing within himself. I'm still not sure why he gets the minutes that he does, but I love the deep bench Mooney has used so far, even giving Moran meaningful time. I know the bench will shorten, but I love the freer style of play and hope it continues for the next four game stretch.

Reactions: spiders13
Nice win overall. I really love to see Terry Allen driving aggressively to the basket, often for reverse lay-ups that cannot be blocked. Cline had another extremely solid game. Shawndre had another excellent first half and then disappeared in the second half again, as happened against JMU. I hope it is a short-term virus or something, and not overall conditioning, which might take longer to work through. I was most impressed with the way the coaching staff brought in the newcomers, and gave them quality minutes. I also really like what I have seen of K Fore, who now has two of the top 3 plays for UR this season, both on emphatic dunks. It is great news that we will have him around for a full 4 years, because he is fun to watch. Jessee P (The Pistol) also looks like he will be a long-term contributor. I love his stroke, and he made two 3's tonight. He makes a few "freshman" errors, that probably do not please the coaches, but I hope we will be patient with him, because he and K Fore look like a really nice future back-court. Marshall Wood had a decent game, and got quite a few minutes. His shot was off tonight (0-5 form 3), but he provided some quality minutes and helps our depth in the front-court. Finally, major kudos are due to Deion, for playing within himself, and going mostly for dunks, but also for sinking 6 of 8 FTs. If he can keep us the solid FT shooting, and continue to take 80% dunks, he will have an excellent senior year, and really help the team. The biggest disappointment was that Kovien D, our freshman with a "burned" red-shirt, had not even gotten into the game when I left, with one minute left. This was his big chance to get major minutes, if they were going to happen. This is looking like a Darrius Garret type freshman year (not productive) for Kovien.

Khwan already looks and plays like he's a junior. Can't imagine how polished he will be by the time he is a fifth-year senior (assuming he doesn't transfer to Pitt, of course). In 22 years of following UR basketball, I have never seen a point guard or even a shooting guard of ours with a follow slam like he turned in tonight. Wow. This kid has the best hops maybe ever for someone his size in our program. Hell, maybe for someone of any size.

Reactions: spiders13
Shouldn't have give up even 60 to BC tonight, but way too many TOs tonight and sent them to FT line with a lot of touch fouls. Easily 10-15 they shouldn't have had. Taking our guys time to adjust, but it's annoying that refs blow whistle for touching a guy but don't blow one when opponent climbs up the back of our guy going for rebound. Really hope we can keep the O going into this stretch of games coming up, which are going to be tough. Nice rebounding tonight. And kudos to DT on his FTs and hoping it becomes a trend. No matter what, great weekend to be a Spider and will take the W any way we can get it.

2 thoughts about our next upcoming game. It appears WVU is 1st in the nation in offensive rebounding and second in steals. Hard to take anything away from stats this early in the season but that definitely presents a different challenge than our schedule to date.

Bethune Cookman won the turnover battle and had more steals than UR. That was a surprise. We won the rebounding battle because they lacked size, and played as UR often does, with no rebounders anywhere near the basket after a shot on basket.

A plus, Terry had a very active, productive game, yet picked up no fouls.

12 players saw court time, including John Moran and Joe Kirby. But not KoVien. This reminds me of Tim Singleton's freshman year. I'm sure the coaches have been talking to KoVien, and hoping he is able to win some time on the court.

I think we will be decided underdogs in the next 3 games. It would be big, we could win one or two of those games. To do that, we will certainly have to reduce greatly, the turnovers.

Kov is at the far end of the bench talking to the other walk on it seems he knows his status. He is in same boat as singleton and Siena transfer who only got time because injury to Kwan. Look for a transfer at season end. Staff made a mistake think they realized it thus no pt.

I thought most here on this board were in agreement that KD was a recruiting gamble and a project player at best. I'm not sure I understand why so many are surprised and/or disappointed by the current state.

I thought most here on this board were in agreement that KD was a recruiting gamble and a project player at best. I'm not sure I understand why so many are surprised and/or disappointed by the current state.

Yes, many thought it was a gamble, but 3 mins in one game out of 30 games will seem puzzling if it ends that way. Long way to go, but seems like losing a year of eligibility for that would not be the best option for either our team or him.

Not sure why we are writing this guy off after four games. Good grief, give it a chance.

Wasn't going to comment on this, but all this negative talk about Kovien and his chances at UR is certainly not called for and is pure speculation. Hope he doesn't read this silly message board. OSC

Actually, Ulla, CM has already publicly commented on KoVien, so it's not silly speculation. As for KoVien reading this board, I think he understands that he is supported here, but nothing said here, is news to him.

So, Bethune Cookman defeated UT-Martin. Now UT-Martin beat James Madison last night. OSC

Sometimes it's all about match ups.

I think this is more about us just playing really poor defense and JMU taking advantage of it. JMU doesn't match better against us than against bottom tier teams, they just happened to shoot well against us when we gave them the opportunity. JMU is starting to look like a bad team, we need to get some wins against good teams to balance out what is turning out to be a pretty big blemish on our resume.

Last edited:
JMU beat us on our home court without Dalembert. UT-Martin beat JMU on Dukes' home court, with Dalembert. That game is going to hurt, as I predicted. We need a good win, like in one of the next 3 games.

Is it just me, or does it seem in both football basketball that we don't adjust well against someone who is new to their current team or hasn't played much but suddenly has to?

Such as Shakir Brown or Birdsong...

JMU brought there "A" game when they played us and we showed up not ready to play defensively. I thought perhaps that meant JMU had a decent team this year, but turns out, they still suck as they always do. I think the JMU loss will go down as a bad loss, but we have lots of good wins on our schedule to more than offset our opening season loss to JMU.

I would be inclined to think that the Wake win just about balances out the Barneys loss.

If we can win one or perhaps two of the next three games, that would be HUGE for us.

I think this is more about us just playing really poor defense and JMU taking advantage of it. JMU doesn't match better against us than against bottom tier teams, they just happened to shoot well against us when we gave them the opportunity. JMU is starting to look like a bad team, we need to get some wins against good teams to balance out what is turning out to be a pretty big blemish on our resume.

Fan...I was talking about the UT-Martin vs JMU game. Totally agree on the UR vs JMU game.

Really surprised to see San Diego State fall at home to Little Rock in their first Las Vegas Invitational opening round games...49-43. Ugly.

They've got ECU today before heading to Vegas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT