ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Gustavson - 2018 Verbal Commit

I thought Andre had a nice game, seems aggressive which we can always use more of. Their D had some switching man going on too I noticed.

I think now Coach sees there are players outside North America that can play for him and come from systems not like AAU defnese offense. I think Coach is good coach and has turned around the corner.
There are many players at these games that can play for us. The players also appreciate a coach who knows a little things about their culture and a few words of the language , like hello how are you , thank you, and how to say My (language) is very bad you know. I know this for fact.

Keep open the door for these type players Coach , you soon to do very good winning!

Reactions: Ulla1
I have no idea about the level of U20 Europe but if this was his average Vs D1 I wonder what 2011 would say?

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20b/2018/player/Andre-Gustavson

3 games, 69 minutes, 6/16 from 2, 4/11 from 3, 1/2 FT, 13 Rebounds, 9 Assists, 4 TO,
4 Steals, 1 Block, +/- +34

First, plus/minus is a completely useless metric.

The other stats look solid, but nothing spectacular. Hard to tell with such a small sample size and not knowing the level of competition. Richmond being his only offer is concerning to me.

The other stats look solid, but nothing spectacular. Hard to tell with such a small sample size and not knowing the level of competition. Richmond being his only offer is concerning to me.
Yeah, it's not like college coaches aren't mining European talent these days. Andre sat there with no offers until late Spring when we came calling. To me, the kid is a complete unknown. He might have untapped potential or he might find his way onto the dreaded Mooney redshirt and find himself back in Finland this time next year. Time will tell.

I will not completely disagree about your +/- being useless, but i diaagree with you more than not.
This stat, and more important variations of It, will be seen more often. I also believe some of these +/- variation metrics will be more meaningful (or will continue to be tweaked until they are) and will more accurately show what is happening on the floor when a certain player is in the game. I can tell you from a players perspectve they "feel" what its like when their team is - 5 when theyre in the game.
I think your statement that theyre a completely useless metric is short sighted. Id be curious if CM views it that way. Didnt UR employ some Princeton stat guy a few years ago? Is he still around?

I will not completely disagree about your +/- being useless, but i diaagree with you more than not.
This stat, and more important variations of It, will be seen more often. I also believe some of these +/- variation metrics will be more meaningful (or will continue to be tweaked until they are) and will more accurately show what is happening on the floor when a certain player is in the game. I can tell you from a players perspectve they "feel" what its like when their team is - 5 when theyre in the game.
I think your statement that theyre a completely useless metric is short sighted. Id be curious if CM views it that way. Didnt UR employ some Princeton stat guy a few years ago? Is he still around?

While more advanced plus/minus metrics may have more merit, the basic plus/minus stat is worthless. Consider the following:

Let's say there is player who contributes the exact average to his team, if he is in the game or out of the game his team plays exactly the same. Imagine, now, that in a game this team scores 2 points every minute like clockwork, and that their opponent scores 1 point every minute. A contrived and unlikely situation, I know.

If this player plays for 20 minutes then they will have a plus/minus of 0.
If they play for 10 minutes they will have a plus/minus of -10.
If they play for 30 minutes they will have a plus/minus of +10.

However, no matter how much they played, being in or out of the game actually had no effect on their team. For this player, if plus/minus was a useful metric it should be 0 in every scenario since the player being in or out of the game did not actually have any effect on their team. Instead, the different amounts of playing time result in very different plus/minus scores. The team was not better when the player was in, and was not better when the player was out, so why should different playing times result in different plus/minus metrics? This is one example of why it is a bad metric.

This problem may be solved by calculating a per possession plus/minus, which should result in a plus/minus of 0 in the three situations outlined above. That is a somewhat better metric. However, in practice even this adjustment does not make plus/minus that much more useful due to the huge variance in college basketball play. Teams do not score like clockwork, they score in spurts and droughts that are mostly outside of the control of a single player. The signal to noise ratio is very small, and the plus/minus metric is almost entirely noise, especially over just a few games. Kenpom discusses this here: https://kenpom.com/blog/a-treatise-on-plusminus/

Last edited:
lost me 2011,
if his team scores 2 points every minute and the other team scores 1 point every minute, the players +/- is:
+10 in 10 minutes
+20 in 20 minutes
+30 in 30 minutes

lost me 2011,
if his team scores 2 points every minute and the other team scores 1 point every minute, the players +/- is:
+10 in 10 minutes
+20 in 20 minutes
+30 in 30 minutes

You have just calculated the 'on court' half of plus/minus. What happens when the player is 'off court' is the other half. You have made me realize it should be -20, 0 and +20 though.

When the player plays for 10 minutes his team scores 10 more points than the other team over that stretch (+10). When he is off the court for 30 minutes his team scores 30 more points than their opponent (+30). His plus/minus is therefore +10 - (+30) = -20.

When he plays 20 minutes his team wins by 20 when he is on the court, and 20 when he if off. 20 - 20 = 0.

When he plays 30 minutes his team wins by 30 when he is on the court, and 20 when he if off. 30 - 10 = 20.

Last edited:
2011 ... I think you're looking at some other stat that I've never seen.
the standard +/- only factors in the team's results while you're on the floor.

2011 ... I think you're looking at some other stat that I've never seen.
the standard +/- only factors in the team's results while you're on the floor.

After some research it seems that there are a few different definitions of plus/minus floating around. The plus/minus you are referring to is sometimes called 'on court plus/minus', while the one I was referring to is sometimes called 'net plus/minus'

I was more interested in today’s game against Georgia, since that win means more games to come.
He has done well in 3 wins, fouled out in the loss.
http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20b/2018/player/Andre-Gustavson
Finland beat Georgia 71-56. Andre played 26 minutes with 6 points (2 of 5 = 40% from 3-point range), 4 rebounds and 4 assists. +/- 26, efficiency 8. Seems like Finland is consistently better when he is on the court.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u20b/2018/game/1707/Georgia-Finland#tab=boxscore

After some research it seems that there are a few different definitions of plus/minus floating around. The plus/minus you are referring to is sometimes called 'on court plus/minus', while the one I was referring to is sometimes called 'net plus/minus'
yes, but you're miscalculating the net +/-.
net +/- does measure the +/- while in the game vs the +/- when out of the game like you said ... per 100 possessions.
in your scenario, there is no difference in how the team performs when the player is on the floor or not. his net +/- is 0 regardless of how much time he plays.
https://www.nbastuffer.com/analytics101/net-plus-minus/

Each time I think I'm starting to understand this I read the next couple new posts and get confused again.

Really nice to have the full-game tape posted for our recruit. I like several things about him, including that he starts the game, stays in after the first round of substitutions, takes the shot that puts Finland up 9-7, etc. He does not do anything that is "splashy" in this game, but he also seems to know the systems well, and makes an effort to fight through screens and be in position to rebound (a rare talent indeed). If anyone can share additional game film or results, please do. Things are pretty slow this summer (as we all know) so taking 2 hours to watch a full game or two may not be a bad idea for our more die-hard fans...I like what I see overall, and look forward to his arrival in Richmond.

Reactions: coachfezz
It’s interesting that they list him as a PG, he definitely wasn’t playing point in the tournament, he was playing SG. Which is also a little curious since he shot 28% from three during the tournament. I’m going to hope that was an aberration.

It’s interesting that they list him as a PG, he definitely wasn’t playing point in the tournament, he was playing SG. Which is also a little curious since he shot 28% from three during the tournament. I’m going to hope that was an aberration.
Andre guarded the other team’s point guard each time the ball was brought up the court. Could this mean he is quick and a good defender?

28% but streaky, 3 games total 1/16, other 4 games total 8/16.
Same from 2, 3 games 4/15, other 4 games 15/21.

In these 7 games his per 40 minutes stats were 4.1 assists/1.9 turnovers/ 2.4 steals.

Andre guarded the other team’s point guard each time the ball was brought up the court. Could this mean he is quick and a good defender?
It could mean that. I thought he played pretty good defense. They also did a decent amount of zone, so he was moving around a decent amount, but he was definitely the press man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT