ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Gustavson - 2018 Verbal Commit

Wow this came out of nowhere. Funny since there have been complaints that things have been silent and then this comes out. Surprised since there weren't even rumors about this.

6'5" with 6'6" wingspan. I like it.

Our coaches are very busy; it ain’t over yet, believe me.
Ulla I watched football and baseball today. Had to take a break from basketball. I asked a few questions today and it seems the tourniquet is holding. Let us know if you find out anything else about the big Finn.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
I think Davidson had to back off because by rule you cannot have more than 70% of your team from foreign countries. We got lucky.

Good get but note that the article lists him at 6’3” and not 6’5”.
It has been rare to see him listed at 6’5”
RTD, 247, and FIBA list him at 6’4”
The article was Last August, so who knows? Certainly not I...

19 two weeks from Monday, so some growth is possible I suppose...

It has been rare to see him listed at 6’5”
RTD, 247, and FIBA list him at 6’4”
The article was Last August, so who knows? Certainly not I...

19 two weeks from Monday, so some growth is possible I suppose...

I saw him listed at 6'2" on the FIBA site I went to. Wouldn't be surprised if there was just a mistake on converting him from centimeters over to feet.

Did he actually have any other D-1 offers? Saw Dayton and Davidson were interested. We all know the difference between being interested and actually extending an offer.

Whatever, the case we obviously need some guards and he is one, so there is that. Hope he is ready to play come November because we got a big ole Mooney sized hole at the guard position.

Reactions: coachfezz
Agree, nice get if for nothing else a big NEED to give JG a rest in handling the point. Though if he gets redshirted, won't ever be a productive A10 player IMO.

Looks like he handles the ball pretty well and uses those long arms to clog the passing lanes.

Agree, nice get if for nothing else a big NEED to give JG a rest in handling the point. Though if he gets redshirted, won't ever be a productive A10 player IMO.

I am thinking (hoping) Bryce Schneider giving Jacob some rest makes the most sense.

I am thinking (hoping) Bryce Schneider giving Jacob some rest makes the most sense.

If he can DRIBBLE? I would tend to agree on him handling the point chores. His size for defense would be a big plus like K suggested from the Finn also.

Last edited:
Anybody know when the "verbal" gets turned into an official LOI? Would love to get this one confirmed, and keep looking, since he appears to be a very positive addition to our program and team.

Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
Just had a chance to review his highlights tape, posted at the start of this thread, and am impressed. First, the person who did the highlight video did a really nice job, since it highlights shooting (nice form!), passing (nice court-vision), ball-handling (he can handle with both the right and left hand), and defense (those long arms may surprise with far more steals than we would expect). The quality of the competition is a bit hard to judge, but the video really does effectively sell this recruit's skills! I see him being able to help as a freshman, and we will probably need him to contribute too.

Anybody know when the "verbal" gets turned into an official LOI? Would love to get this one confirmed, and keep looking, since he appears to be a very positive addition to our program and team.
When he signs an LOI.

I think I like he covers floor distance with dribbles and can dribble with left hand , not just one two I pick up no matte rwhere . For guard I always watch left hand . Coach will have to let play thru mistakes because sppeed of game but I think he is good fit especially because of offense system and magic defense. He will be able to pick this up. Very nice job Coach there are many players that can fit your system from FIBA tournaments. and teams he played against were not bad teams like my Slovakia Ha. Now we must go to Netherlands and ;look and plan too.

Was impressed with his ability to take defenders off the bounce, and speed in transition. Shooting looked solid, but hard to tell from a highlight video.

I’m a little suspect about his defense though. If that’s highlight defense, which I didn’t think was great, I’m a little worried about day in day out defense.

Only time will tell, but I like the addition overall. For Mooney’s offense to work effectively, we need shooters on the perimeter. Also, the inside out game from Golden, or the ability to give Golden one on ones in the post instead of a full collapse on him (due to respect of shooters) will be highly beneficial.

Welcome aboard Andre!!!

Was impressed with his ability to take defenders off the bounce, and speed in transition. Shooting looked solid, but hard to tell from a highlight video.

I’m a little suspect about his defense though. If that’s highlight defense, which I didn’t think was great, I’m a little worried about day in day out defense.

Only time will tell, but I like the addition overall. For Mooney’s offense to work effectively, we need shooters on the perimeter. Also, the inside out game from Golden, or the ability to give Golden one on ones in the post instead of a full collapse on him (due to respect of shooters) will be highly beneficial.

Welcome aboard Andre!!!
I am still trying to figure out his shooting. Everything says it is good and looks good in videos, but his stats in the 7 games last summer appear to be 23% from 3, 53% from FT. But I always have trouble with Euro stats, and only see 29 games in 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT