ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Gustavson - 2018 Verbal Commit

I am still trying to figure out his shooting. Everything says it is good and looks good in videos, but his stats in the 7 games last summer appear to be 23% from 3, 53% from FT. But I always have trouble with Euro stats, and only see 29 games in 4 years.
I like his wingspan, quickness (instincts) to the ball both offensively and defensively, and his willingness to drive the lane. Seems like shooting, defense, and bulk are areas that need work.

I like his wingspan, quickness (instincts) to the ball both offensively and defensively, and his willingness to drive the lane. Seems like shooting, defense, and bulk are areas that need work.
As always, it if really hard to tell from a highlight video. Who knows. I did not see much explosion to the basket, which concerns me a little. If this was 2011 I would be hyping this guy like Ulla, BUT now we need a top level athlete that can defend to immediately step in and fill some of the void left by Fore and Buck. Not seeing that type of player in this guy.

As always, it if really hard to tell from a highlight video. Who knows. I did not see much explosion to the basket, which concerns me a little. If this was 2011 I would be hyping this guy like Ulla, BUT now we need a top level athlete that can defend to immediately step in and fill some of the void left by Fore and Buck. Not seeing that type of player in this guy.
agreed. this is a skilled combo guard which fills a huge immediate need backing up both guard spots. I don't see the athleticism that's typically required to become a future starter. but who knows.

At least Davidson "showed interest", we can be OK recruiting by picking up some of their recruiting scraps

Reactions: KWeaver
I think I like he covers floor distance with dribbles and can dribble with left hand , not just one two I pick up no matte rwhere . For guard I always watch left hand . Coach will have to let play thru mistakes because sppeed of game but I think he is good fit especially because of offense system and magic defense. He will be able to pick this up. Very nice job Coach there are many players that can fit your system from FIBA tournaments. and teams he played against were not bad teams like my Slovakia Ha. Now we must go to Netherlands and ;look and plan too.
Fezz, can you discuss this level of competition? Are these the definitive 18U best players from each country, or are those guys playing for pro teams. Similar to the Nike EYBL circuit? Other comparison?

The stain of Solly lingers on this one. IMO, any touted foreign players will be taken with a grain of salt because of Solly's underperformance.

The stain of Solly lingers on this one. IMO, any touted foreign players will be taken with a grain of salt because of Solly's underperformance.
“The Stain of Solly”. Is this a condition or a curse akin to “The Scarlet Letter”?

Fezz, can you discuss this level of competition? Are these the definitive 18U best players from each country, or are those guys playing for pro teams. Similar to the Nike EYBL circuit? Other comparison?
this certainly isn't the athletic level of the EYBL.
doesn't mean he can't be a good basketball player though.

Reactions: coachfezz

It looks like almost none of the players have college offers. Besides Andre, there is one player who is going to Coastal Carolina, and one that might be linked to Gonzaga (no offer, maybe interest?). It is hard to tell if the lack of college interest is due to the Euro players not being interested in college ball, or the level of skill in the league not being very high.

Hmm, so these don't look like true national teams then I guess? From some of those countries I would expect some pretty major talent. I tried looking up USA roster for FIBA U18 - but could not find but I believe it would be really loaded. Not bashing here, trying to get an idea on this recruit.

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2017/Finland

I think of course Serbia is best but there are players in A that can help roster depth . I have a coach friend from Czech Republic who likes to say American players look better in turnovers than Europeans but turnover is turnover. I think this player not a star but the type of player that will be comfortable with Coach systems. Adjust to game speed is biggest problem. I have seen xtreme case that can not at all bu with our system is much less a problem and this is a big big step in recruiting in Europe.

I am proud of Coach and staff.

Reactions: Ulla1
We need a guard to replace Kwan now, but let's look at history of foreign recruits
playing quickly: Duinker, Solly, Verbinskys, etc.... Another guard is needed to step
in quickly. JJ is a driver and set shooter, not a jump shooter. Schneider is an unknown
other than in practice. AJ has to learn the system and that is not an easy one week
course.

Ulla , when do the guys start practicing again?
K, not sure when practice starts again. Can say that grades are due by May 7 for seniors, May 14 is the deadline for others; exams safe April 30-May 5. Don't know but suspect practice would begin a week or two after graduation on May 13. I will check with the coaches and let you know.

K, not sure when practice starts again. Can say that grades are due by May 7 for seniors, May 14 is the deadline for others; exams safe April 30-May 5. Don't know but suspect practice would begin a week or two after graduation on May 13. I will check with the coaches and let you know.
Thank you sir

AJ has been here a year, he better have a handle on our systems by now.

This is another thing that I really hope for out of our players. That those who redshirt ARE actually ready to go. The biggest issue that we keep having is that those who redshirt for non-injury related reasons end up being benchriders for the rest of their career, on average.

Reactions: SpiderK
Good get. We can use reinforcements. Have just added Sal, a forward, and two guards (the transfer from Wagner and this recruit). Not bad overall, so far, and we still have time to add more.

Yep. A good recruiting class so far. Add Jake Wojcik and a good class turns into a real good, if not great, one.

You all need to go look at who Dayton, SLU and Rhody are signing for their classes and then compare. Kind of not in the same league as us.

You all need to go look at who Dayton, SLU and Rhody are signing for their classes and then compare. Kind of not in the same league as us.

I am not at all concerned with who they are signing. I am only concerned with who we sign and how they fit our program. Would UVA ever beat Duke or UNC if recruiting rankings were the tell all? Do recruiting rankings in any sport always mirror the final won-loss standings? No, and they are often dramatically different. And, how many higher rated guys already playing in the A-10 are better than Jacob, Nick, and Grant?

Reactions: urfan1
I am not at all concerned with who they are signing. I am only concerned with who we sign and how they fit our program. Would UVA ever beat Duke or UNC if recruiting rankings were the tell all? Do recruiting rankings in any sport always mirror the final won-loss standings? No, and they are often dramatically different. And, how many higher rated guys already playing in the A-10 are better than Jacob, Nick, and Grant?
Well, Rob, you should be concerned with them, because they are who we are competing against in the A-10. UVA is recruiting 4 star players with multiple high level BCS offers, so I don't get the comparison. There are quite a few UVA players playing in the NBA right now.

We are recruiting guys who have 1-2 low mid major offers, while the top level teams in our conference are signing kids with multiple BCS offers and 10-15 offers.

And we have 3 A-10 starter level players that you referenced, we had 5 last year, won 12 games and lost 2 of them in offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT