ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Gustavson - 2018 Verbal Commit

I am not at all concerned with who they are signing. I am only concerned with who we sign and how they fit our program. Would UVA ever beat Duke or UNC if recruiting rankings were the tell all? Do recruiting rankings in any sport always mirror the final won-loss standings? No, and they are often dramatically different. And, how many higher rated guys already playing in the A-10 are better than Jacob, Nick, and Grant?

If Jacob, Nick and Grant were the best players at their positions in the A10 we would have won a lot more than 9 A10 games last year, especially considering we had Buck and Fore on the roster as well. It may be hard to step back and be objective, but none of these guys are the best at their position in the A10 right now. They are young and may be at one point, but there are a ton of really talented players in the A10. Recruiting has been and still is a huge problem at Richmond. We will not have sustained success until Jacob, Nick and Golden are our average recruit, not special recruits.

If Jacob, Nick and Grant were the best players at their positions in the A10 we would have won a lot more than 9 A10 games last year, especially considering we had Buck and Fore on the roster as well. It may be hard to step back and be objective, but none of these guys are the best at their position in the A10 right now. They are young and may be at one point, but there are a ton of really talented players in the A10. Recruiting has been and still is a huge problem at Richmond. We will not have sustained success until Jacob, Nick and Golden are our average recruit, not special recruits.

Jacob, Nick, and Grant ARE special recruits. Yes, we went 9-9 in the A-10 with them, but players that are good when young get even better. You said there are ton of really talented players in the A-10? A ton? Can you name even 5 that are clearly better than our top 3?

I am not good at remembering all the players on the other A10 teams, but I would be willing to bet there are at least 10 really talented players averaging about 200 lbs. There's your ton.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I am not good at remembering all the players on the other A10 teams, but I would be willing to bet there are at least 10 really talented players averaging about 200 lbs. There's your ton.

Funny comment, but you still might not find 10 that way. I am really happy we have Jacob, Nick, and Grant, and am so excited about landing Wojcik that I really don't feel like spending any time debating this silly topic right now.

Jacob, Nick, and Grant ARE special recruits. Yes, we went 9-9 in the A-10 with them, but players that are good when young get even better. You said there are ton of really talented players in the A-10? A ton? Can you name even 5 that are clearly better than our top 3?

Grady
Cunningham
Pipkins
Livingston
Dowtin
Gudmundsson

among others. If you include seniors from last year the list is much bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97spiderfan
I'll go:
1. Kellen Grady, Davidson
2. Fats Russell: Rhody
3. Mike Lewis: Duquesne
4. Eric Williams: Duquesne
5. Pipkins: UMass
6. Livingstone: Mason
7. Brown: St. Joes
8. Gudmenson: Davidson
9. Stockard: St. Bonnie
10. Cunningham: Dayton

I just want to point out that Gilyard, Sherod and Golden are all really good players, but as freshmen and sophomores they are not yet the BEST at their positions in the A10. They might get there one day, but they are not there yet. There is a ton of talent in the A10, need to watch some other teams to get a feel for it.

I just want to point out that Gilyard, Sherod and Golden are all really good players, but as freshmen and sophomores they are not yet the BEST at their positions in the A10. They might get there one day, but they are not there yet. There is a ton of talent in the A10, need to watch some other teams to get a feel for it.
Agreed. I think some of us just watch what is going on here in a vacuum and don't see that the A-10 is full of good players and other programs particularly the top dogs of the conference are consistently bringing in really highly regarded talent.

Agreed. I think some of us just watch what is going on here in a vacuum and don't see that the A-10 is full of good players and other programs particularly the top dogs of the conference are consistently bringing in really highly regarded talent.

Some of those players on your list barely got offers. For example, Eric Williams didn't sign until April 20 and DUQ was by far his best offer. Others got mostly CAA offers (Charlie Brown), MEAC (Livingstone). Grady was/is a stud but most of his offers were A10ish. So of your list of 10, maybe 2 or 3 were highly regarded when they left HS.

The all rookie team only included 1 of our 2 freshman noted above, although Gilyard was definitely deserving of a spot:

Kellan Grady, Davidson
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton
Eric Williams, Jr., Duquesne
Grant Golden, Richmond
Hasahn French, Saint Louis

Some of those players on your list barely got offers. For example, Eric Williams didn't sign until April 20 and DUQ was by far his best offer. Others got mostly CAA offers (Charlie Brown), MEAC (Livingstone). Grady was/is a stud but most of his offers were A10ish. So of your list of 10, maybe 2 or 3 were highly regarded when they left HS.

Exactly. Which was whole point. I. originally said I did not care who the other teams recruited and simply asked how many higher rated players in the A-10 are better than our top 3. Your research showed it to be very few

I then asked who was CLEARLY better than our top 3, and it is definitely all opinion and very debatable how many of the ones named are clearly better anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcarter52
Exactly. Which was my whole point. I said I did not care who the other teams recruited and simply asked was how many higher rated players in the A-10 are better than our top 3. Your research showed it to be very few, and it is all opinion and very debatable how many of the ones named are clearly better anyway.

A lot of highly rated players on other teams don't get to play as much as freshmen and sophomores because they have other highly rated players in front of them that are very good. If you look at the best players in the A10 any given year, almost all of them are seniors. Last year there were highly rated seniors on good teams who were better than our players. This year, highly rated players who were on the bench behind them may very well get their turn to shine and perform better than our players. The fact that our team started 4 freshmen and sophomores is a testament to our recruiting failures not a recruiting triumph.

Seniors like Payton Aldridge, Jared Terrell, EC Mathews, Newkirk, Demery, and Tillman were all highly sought after recruits, and they were all arguably better players than our returning starters.

We are talking this season and on because the poster said I should worry about who other teams are recruiting this year. Seniors should have nothing to do with this debate. Ooops. I earlier said I was done debating this one, and then posted again. Sorry about that.

If you want to me to do a list of highly recruited A-10 players who are also good players, I can do that as well. Suffice it to say, I think the number and quality of offers is probably the best correlation with a player turning out to be a good college player.

We have our own list of players who didn't have a lot of offers who turned out to be really good players for us. Our list of players who didn't have a lot of offers and didn't turn out to be really good college players is much much longer though.

Reactions: keefusb
If you want to me to do a list of highly recruited A-10 players who are also good players, I can do that as well. Suffice it to say, I think the number and quality of offers is probably the best correlation with a player turning out to be a good college player.

We have our own list of players who didn't have a lot of offers who turned out to be really good players for us. Our list of players who didn't have a lot of offers and didn't turn out to be really good college players is much much longer though.

what are you talking about? You put a list together (which I am assuming you say are 10 players better than ours) and I pointed out that only 2 or 3 were highly recruited.

According to Rivals, Jacob Gillyard offers were Richmond, American, Long Island and Missouri State. Using your "correlation", he didn't have quality offers, outside of us.

I prefer to actually watch them play basketball vs. actual college players.

Everyone misses that is why there are 700 transfers a year. and yes, we need more GGs/JGs and NSs

impressive athlete. he just caught my interest.
not many players can do that ... much less point guards.

I have become a bit skeptical of "one-shot" video highlights like the one above. We had some similar ones on P Ford, and we all know how that turned out.

However, if this was a standard-sized ball, and a regulation basket height, and if it did not take 50+ tries to get this one video, then maybe it tells us that he will not be vertically challenged, which would be nice! Welcome to the family!

I have become a bit skeptical of "one-shot" video highlights like the one above. We had some similar ones on P Ford, and we all know how that turned out.

However, if this was a standard-sized ball, and a regulation basket height, and if it did not take 50+ tries to get this one video, then maybe it tells us that he will not be vertically challenged, which would be nice! Welcome to the family!
Nice backhanded compliment. Coach mentioned that Andre is strong and a good athlete.

what are you talking about? You put a list together (which I am assuming you say are 10 players better than ours) and I pointed out that only 2 or 3 were highly recruited.

According to Rivals, Jacob Gillyard offers were Richmond, American, Long Island and Missouri State. Using your "correlation", he didn't have quality offers, outside of us.

I prefer to actually watch them play basketball vs. actual college players.

Everyone misses that is why there are 700 transfers a year. and yes, we need more GGs/JGs and NSs
Regardless of our top 3, the rest of our team is made up of benchwarmers. We will have another bad season because 3 players can’t carry a team without any help, unless they’re 5 star recruits.

Heard Andre and Sal may be really good. Check Andre out and recall that he attended a basketball school as well as plays on his national team.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
Heard Andre and Sal may be really good. Check Andre out and recall that he attended a basketball school as well as plays on his national team.
Its not my thing to agree with the Ulla but this looks like what we need with Khwan gone and (hopefully) 3 competent shooters on the floor...someone to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hole through contact. I think the holes will be there and also have to believe he has a better 3 point shot than KF. Offensively we'll be good.

Its not my thing to agree with the Ulla but this looks like what we need with Khwan gone and (hopefully) 3 competent shooters on the floor...someone to put the ball on the floor and take it to the hole through contact. I think the holes will be there and also have to believe he has a better 3 point shot than KF. Offensively we'll be good

Reactions: KWeaver
terrific off the bounce. love how he gets in the lane. nice body control.
would expect more outside shooting highlights for a guard, but it's a short clip. something to keep an eye on, though.

A
terrific off the bounce. love how he gets in the lane. nice body control.
would expect more outside shooting highlights for a guard, but it's a short clip. something to keep an eye on, though.
A friend watched Andre play with our guys for two days during his visit to UR; said he is an amazing passer and ball handler.

Reactions: SpiderK
I am not at all concerned with who they are signing. I am only concerned with who we sign and how they fit our program. Would UVA ever beat Duke or UNC if recruiting rankings were the tell all? Do recruiting rankings in any sport always mirror the final won-loss standings? No, and they are often dramatically different. And, how many higher rated guys already playing in the A-10 are better than Jacob, Nick, and Grant?
Since im hyoer focused on Richmond hoops im not always cognizant of the other teams' best players.. So i would really like some names of current players in the A10 who you would consider:
1. A better shooter than Nick Sherod? (i do not believe we have even seen his best shooting performances yet as he can score from anywhere and the offense already gets him quality looks from right behing the 3 point line...and i have no doubt that he has far deeper range)
2. A better overall center than GG. (could potentially be the best player i have seen in a UR uniform in 30 + years)
And while they MAY not have been the best players at their "position" in the A10 last year, i think GG is already one of the Top 5 pkayers in the A10. And there's no one (that i can think of) that i would rather have as the centerpiece of a team than GG. I see NS as a Top 10+ player this year.

Reactions: UR80sfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT