ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Empire Classic

We'll see. If no contracts r signed & Mooney is canned then his agent Rick Giles will probably replace us as the 4th team.

And I guess we'll lose our top seed spot in the CBI too!

While this one looks good, half of the stuff the Gazelle Group throws at us is garbage. That has been a shady little connection with Mooney's agent for a long time. Maybe we can finally get in some other tourneys with a new coach.

Reactions: SpiderK
If that is the tourney for next season, its not terrible, but def not something you can rely on for 2 reasons. These are teams that not strong, so we will be hoping they are better next season and have good years. And we typically don't win these games anyways. We would need 2 strong power conference opponents along with this tourney to have a solid OOC schedule.

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
man, tough crowd. to me that's a fun tournament with 3 name programs from good conferences.
those of you clamoring about moving down to the CAA or SoCon certainly can't have a problem with these teams.
I got to go with you on this one. Could be a lot worse. All 3 programs in better conferences and expect better from them next year. Cuse has good class coming in. John's will have no doubt be athletic but will they play smart? And Temple if Battle comes back will be better.

Though if Mooney comes back (still here) deflates the level of enthusiasm for everything Spider b-ball these days!

I got to go with you on this one. Could be a lot worse. All 3 programs in better conferences and expect better from them next year. Cuse has good class coming in. John's will have no doubt be athletic but will they play smart? And Temple if Battle comes back will be better.

Though if Mooney comes back (still here) deflates the level of enthusiasm for everything Spider b-ball these days!
Wasn't "See Ya Cuse!"* Final Four 2016, Sweet Sixteen 2018 & 2021?

Will this be the 4th season for the coach at both of the others?

* trademarked 1991

Reactions: 64Spider
Remember I’m sure we’ll get 2 absolute dogs as the 2 on campus prelim games too.

but easy on the Cuse. I’d still consider them a top tier team. Maybe less consistent than some other blue bloods & certainly down this year. But still s16 last year & a couple F4’s in last 8.

That's fair. Syracuse is like the anti-us. They can play badly or mediocre most of the year but then sneak into the tournament and are a very tough matchup for teams that aren't used to their style, and before you know it they've won a few games.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
man, tough crowd. to me that's a fun tournament with 3 name programs from good conferences.
those of you clamoring about moving down to the CAA or SoCon certainly can't have a problem with these teams.
Its not a terrible tournament. But the issue I have is that this will likely be the biggest games of our OOC schedule and that can't be the case. You need to schedule, outside of these tourney - 2-3 big games as well. And I think that has been the case lately - we take the scheduling approach of HOPE. We hope we get invited to big name tourneys. We hope the lower level teams we schedule go on to have great years. We hope, we hope, we hope - but in scheduling - you can have a few of those games, but you also need to schedule games you know will be good and HOPE you win them.

Some easy examples.
2004 team - played in Guardians Classic - which really one got 1 good game us South Carolina. But also got Wake, South Florida, Providence, Kansas, and Colorado.
2010 NCAA Team - played in South Padre Invitational with wins vs. Miss. St. and MIssouri. BUT - we also got games vs. Wake, Florida, and South Carolina.
2011 Sweet 16 team - played in Battle at Atlantis, but only 1 game - Loss to Ga Tech. Also played in Chicago Invitational Tourney - where we beat Purdue and Wright State. BUT - we also scheduled on our own - Arizona State, Wake, and Seton Hall.

I just think the staff will sit back and rely on this tourney to carry us as they do most years. Or schedule some good low mid-major teams and hope they win their leagues.

We scheduled tough tournaments those years because we expected to be good and competing for at-large bids. That's not the case next year.

We typically schedule down in these tournaments in years where we have lower expectations...whether that's intentional on our part or dictated by tournament organizers looking at our projected performance, I'm not sure, but it's probably a combination of the two.

Looking at what we're losing roster-wise after this year, what at-large quality team would want to be paired up with us in one of these events? We're likely to be a middling team that would be a landmine for potential opponents...all risk, no reward.

You should already know it is impossible for a high quality big-man transfer to Richmond. Those guys only go to P-5 schools, except when they don't, but they clearly can't come here, because math.
Don't be absurd. I was talking to a Big Man yesterday. He is the leading scorer and rebounder on a Top 20 P5 team and wasn't thinking of transferring.

But since Richmond asked (in a non violation sort of way) now he is coming here next season...

• Haha
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Remember beating a top 10 Purdue team in an early season tournament in the sweet 16 year? Seems like forever ago. It was because I was in 8th grade then, I’m almost 25 now.

Kwesi would have been fantastic, if he could have shot the ball or rebounded. Amazing that his 3 years at Hofstra where he averaged like 2 points and 2 rebounds a game didn't clue us into that.
He was at Northeastern. And he averaged 1.2 points and 1.4 boards per game there. That's significantly better than the 0.3 points and 1.0 boards he averaged in a Spider uniform. Seemed like a super nice guy with a good voice, but obviously not a contributor on the court.

He was at Northeastern. And he averaged 1.2 points and 1.4 boards per game there. That's significantly better than the 0.3 points and 1.0 boards he averaged in a Spider uniform. Seemed like a super nice guy with a good voice, but obviously not a contributor on the court.
Thanks for the correction. I was in the ballpark with a CAA school from the Northeast and I guess I overstated his contributions at Northeastern. Sadly, Kwesi was not our worst all time transfer, I think that badge goes to JMA from Chicago State.

If Mooney is retained be prepared for another one of these big time transfers coming in this year, don't be fooled.

Kwesi would have been fantastic, if he could have shot the ball or rebounded. Amazing that his 3 years at Hofstra where he averaged like 2 points and 2 rebounds a game didn't clue us into that.
We all thought Mooney would make him an all American rebounder. 🙄

Fun to look back on this thread from six weeks ago when we were foundering.

Anyway, Rothstein shared his list of early-season tournaments for next year (no, we haven't been replaced in the Empire Classic after firing Mooney), so thought it was a good chance to see at a glance what the rest of the conference is up to. I also cross-checked against the excellent Blogging the Bracket tracker.

- Dayton: Battle 4 Atlantis (Kansas, Tennessee, USC, NC State, Wisconsin, Butler, BYU)

- Davidson: Charleston Classic (Charleston, Colorado State, Furman, Old Dominion, Penn State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech)

- SLU: Hall of Fame Tip-Off (Maryland, Miami, Providence)

- VCU: Legends Classic (Arizona State, Michigan, Pitt)

- UMass & Loyola: Myrtle Beach (Boise State, Charlotte, Colorado, Texas A&M, Tulsa, and one TBD) - still haven't heard if one of them (presumably Loyola) will need to be replaced or if there's an exception to the rule about one team per conference

- Mason: Paradise Jam (Boston College, Belmont, Wyoming, Howard, Buffalo, Weber State, Drake)

- Bona: Gotham Classic (Notre Dame, others TBD)

- Rhode Island: Cayman Islands Classic (LSU, Kansas State, Nevada, Akron, Illinois State, Tulane, Western Kentucky)

- GW: Diamond Head Classic (Hawai’i, Iona, Pepperdine, Seattle, SMU, Utah State, Washington State)

- St. Joe's: Sunshine Slam (Georgia, UAB, South Florida)

- La Salle, Duquesne, Fordham: TBD

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT