ADVERTISEMENT

2023–24 NET Ratings

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
First ones are out, and the Spiders check in at #85. Colorado is #54, Wichita #88, and BC is #96.

UNI is #212, and Florida is #65. Charlotte is #110, Buffalo is #360, and Lafayette is #331.

Siena is dead last at #362.

42. Dayton
62. Mason
79. St. Joe's
85. Richmond
86. GW
91. Duquesne
94. UMass
121. Davidson
125. Loyola
127. Bona
138. VCU
181. La Salle
186. Fordham
192. Rhode Island
258. SLU

I'm sure the other NET tracking sites will have things prettied up shortly, but here's what I've got for our schedule. Obviously there will still be a lot of movement throughout the season.

Q1: 0–0 (1 game remaining)
Q2: 0–3 (7 games remaining)
Q3: 1–0 (11 games remaining)
Q4: 4–0 (4 games remaining)

VMI (323: Q4) - W
Siena (362: Q4) - W
at BC (96: Q2) - L
vs Colorado (54: Q2) - L
vs UNLV (197: Q3) - W
Queens (260: Q4) - W
at Wichita (88: Q2) - L
W&M (297: Q4) - W
at UNI (212: Q3)
vs Florida (65: Q2)
Charlotte (110: Q3)
Buffalo (360: Q4)
Lafayette (331: Q4)

Bona (127: Q3)
at Loyola (125: Q2)
Mason (62: Q2)
at Duquesne (91: Q2)
at Davidson (121: Q2)
GW (86: Q3)
Dayton (42: Q2)
at Fordham (186: Q3)
at VCU (138: Q3)
La Salle (181: Q4)
UMass (94: Q3)
at GW (86: Q2)
at URI (192: Q3)
Davidson (121: Q3)
at SLU (258: Q4)
VCU (138: Q3)
St. Joe's (79: Q3)
at Mason (62: Q1)

Pleasantly surprised we are where we are. NET confirms what we thought, we beat up on the cupcakes, lost to 3 Top 100 NET teams.

Looking at the remaining games, we can not afford a slip up against Northern Iowa because that would be a bad loss. We aren't realistically beating Florida and if we can get the Charlotte game at home, we should end the OOC 9-4. Still think we are going to split the Charlotte-Northern Iowa duo and go 8-5.

But, it is nice to start out the NET in the Top 100. Last year at this time, we were already out of consideration for any meaningful chance of an NCAA bid.

I don't know why, but I'm very amused that the best game on our schedule according to quadrants at the moment is the season finale at the Goo Moos.

I don't know why, but I'm very amused that the best game on our schedule according to quadrants at the moment is the season finale at the Goo Moos.
Lol. Right. I was looking at VCU's NET and they are getting credit for a Quad 1 home loss for their opening game loss to McNeese State. Fat chance that stays a Quad 1 game once we enter conference play.

Lol. Right. I was looking at VCU's NET and they are getting credit for a Quad 1 home loss for their opening game loss to McNeese State. Fat chance that stays a Quad 1 game once we enter conference play.
I don't know, McNeese's resume is looking pretty solid. After beating VCU, they went out and dominated College of Biblical Studies, Champion Christian, and LeTourneau in a span of five days.

really needed to be 2-1 in Q2 games at this point, or 1-2 at worst. The quality win opportunities are not really there to bolster an at large case if your best win is a road win at the GooMoos and you're (let's say at best) 7-4 in Q1/Q2 games, with barely any Q1 games. Would need a very large volume of wins plus a top 2 finish in the A10 to overcome it, IMO. Razor thin margin of error at this point, and Moon's history of tightrope walking that line is not so encouraging.

I don't know, McNeese's resume is looking pretty solid. After beating VCU, they went out and dominated College of Biblical Studies, Champion Christian, and LeTourneau in a span of five days.
Ok, so I just looked at McNeese's resume and there has to be a glitch in the matrix. They are 4-2 against D-1 opponents, with 3 Quad 3 wins and 1 Quad 4 win. How in the hell do you get to be 30 in the NET with that resume. They have beaten no one good, there losses are to Western Carolina (Quad 2) and Louisiana Tech (Quad 1).

I know all of this will get corrected eventually with when the enter Southland play where every team is ranked 199 and below.

First ones are out, and the Spiders check in at #85. Colorado is #54, Wichita #88, and BC is #96.

UNI is #212, and Florida is #65. Charlotte is #110, Buffalo is #360, and Lafayette is #331.

42. Dayton 76
62. Mason 73
79. St. Joe's 50
85. Richmond 58
86. GW 144
91. Duquesne 70
94. UMass 64
121. Davidson 116
125. Loyola 122
127. Bona 128
138. VCU 135
181. La Salle 210
186. Fordham 176
192. Rhode Island 140
258. SLU 255

Added Torvik no preseason in bold to see if there was correlation. Not as much as I would think...at least on the top 7.

Last edited:
Ok, so I just looked at McNeese's resume and there has to be a glitch in the matrix. They are 4-2 against D-1 opponents, with 3 Quad 3 wins and 1 Quad 4 win. How in the hell do you get to be 30 in the NET with that resume. They have beaten no one good, there losses are to Western Carolina (Quad 2) and Louisiana Tech (Quad 1).

I know all of this will get corrected eventually with when the enter Southland play where every team is ranked 199 and below.
McNeese is 69 on Torvik.

I still say a short hand way to determine NET is "How much did you beat the spread?"
I know it isn't directly calculated that way, but seems to end up effectively that way.

Reactions: urfan1
As it stands right now, McNeese has a Q2 at Michigan and a Q3 at Nicholls left on their schedule. Their other 19 D-I games are currently Q4. (Plus they've got one more non-D-I game for a total of four this season.) 💀

that NET site is a mess.
here's the NCAA one.
We will see in a week how that site looks and works.
Right now too many things not loaded, too long to load each page, and too many ads.

They have done better in the past and would not be surprised if they improve shortly.

Meanwhile how do you see just the A10 on the NCAA site or an individual team. Seems a bit static...

We will see in a week how that site looks and works.
Right now too many things not loaded, too long to load each page, and too many ads.

They have done better in the past and would not be surprised if they improve shortly.

Meanwhile how do you see just the A10 on the NCAA site or an individual team. Seems a bit static...
agreed ... totally static. I just searched "A10" and scrolled through. but I'd like to click on a team and see who they played.

The official one I linked in the first post lets you click through and see the schedules. You can also sort on the conference column to get all A-10 teams grouped together, or there's a menu at top right where you can filter to just A-10.

The official one I linked in the first post lets you click through and see the schedules. You can also sort on the conference column to get all A-10 teams grouped together, or there's a menu at top right where you can filter to just A-10.
yeah, I just didn't like all the wrong data on each teams' record home and away and vs each quadrant.

Feels like the highest we've started in NET for some time, maybe ever? And makes you wonder what it would look like if we'd finished the Colorado game.

Feels like the highest we've started in NET for some time, maybe ever? And makes you wonder what it would look like if we'd finished the Colorado game.
Looks like we were #22 in the first NET of 2019–20 after we beat Vandy and Wisconsin and lost to Auburn and were 9–1.

ah, that one works. thanks, SF. I was talking about the bracketologists.com site that was linked above.

NET seems to penalize you for playing (and losing to) good teams. TCU is #41 going 7-0 with 6 Q4 wins and 1 Q3 win ... all but 1 game at home.

• Sad
Reactions: gospidersgo
Also: We seem to have really awful luck every year with a couple of these OOC teams. Like who would have expected Siena, typically a solid-ish program, to be the WORST in all of D1? Really? And Buffalo too, just total garbage. Lafayette, some decent history there, but this year, complete trash. UNI, should be much better by now but instead, horrible. VMI and W&M, not helping things either but probably a little more expected.

Reactions: 97spiderfan

42. Dayton
62. Mason
79. St. Joe's
85. Richmond
86. GW
91. Duquesne
94. UMass
121. Davidson
125. Loyola
127. Bona
138. VCU
181. La Salle
186. Fordham
192. Rhode Island
258. SLU

It is very impressive the A10 has 7 top 100 teams. It is going to be a great watching conference play.

ah, that one works. thanks, SF. I was talking about the bracketologists.com site that was linked above.

NET seems to penalize you for playing (and losing to) good teams. TCU is #41 going 7-0 with 6 Q4 wins and 1 Q3 win ... all but 1 game at home.
I still feel like if you play all Q4 but win all of them by 40 points a game you get a good NET early. May not stay, and any loss is devastating.

I still feel like if you play all Q4 but win all of them by 40 points a game you get a good NET early. May not stay, and any loss is devastating.
does point differential count?

(never mind ... I see the answer in another thread)

perhaps a dumb question, but are there defensive efficiency metrics, and are those included in any/many of the ranking systems often cited?

perhaps a dumb question, but are there defensive efficiency metrics, and are those included in any/many of the ranking systems often cited?
Yes, net efficiency is one of the two main components of the NET.

The basic forumula is points per possession (which involves accounting for field goal attempts, offensive rebounds, turnovers, and free throw attempts) for both offense and defense. Subtract defensive efficiency from offensive efficiency and you have net efficiency. That then gets adjusted based on game location and in a black box sort of way to account for opponent strength.

Many other rating systems also include it in some form.

Yes. It includes margin and it should. I built my own ranking system long before NET which included margin. A team in a lower conference who plays mostly bad teams but destroys them should get some credit. Likewise, a team in a higher conference should lose some points for squeaking out a victory against VMI.

GW slipped to #92 after needing OT to beat Navy yesterday.

With their final D-I OOC games being against #359 Coppin State, #325 Alcorn State, and #332 UMES, gonna be hard to set another "best NET in program history" anytime soon.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I love how Eastern Washington is 0-6, yet ranked ahead of like 80 teams, most of which have at least one win.

But they're quality losses! Brutal schedule for them so far.

They are not 0fer.
They wona wona vs walla walla…
From the famous "We know you like watching your team win by 50 points; it's fun but NET doesn't care about these games" tier.

Another big opportunity coming up against Portland Bible College next week.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
But they're quality losses! Brutal schedule for them so far.
Their bracketologists.com page doesn’t show their NET OOC SOS that high. I wonder if it includes the games they haven’t played yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT