ADVERTISEMENT

2023–24 NET Ratings

Almost all of our games and any A-10, Mountain West game are on TV, lots of opportunities if you are on the committee to see games on any teams close to the bubble. If we win out and they keep us out after going 20-2 over our last 22, playing in the 8th hardest conference, it will be because of looking at things like the NET which clearly many of the BCS programs have figured out how to make their number look pretty in that.
I think he means CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, and espn1&2.

Don’t agree with expanding at all. Just the current set up needs to be restructured. First step is what you said; a max margin of victory because you’re right, there really isn’t any difference between winning by 20 and 40. Next would be to cut out a lot of the autobid leagues. No more meac, swac, big sky, probably CAA as it currently sits, c-usa, maac, nec, summit league, patriot league, Ivy League teams need to automatically make the field. If they can qualify as an at large then great. Last step and I realize a lot will disagree with this but it’s the most logical would be to have something automatic for at large bid teams in power 5 leagues. Simplest way to do this is if you’re a power 5 team and win 20 regular season games you should automatically be in. Nothing is perfect but this is better than what we have now.
We can agree on a cap for margin credit, but I don't agree with your other proposals. I think allowing every league champion to earn a bid is part of what makes March Madness fun. I also don't agree that a 20 win season should automatically qualify some leagues to a bid but not others. We need to stop using terms like power 5 or mid-major, etc. If your league on a given year has played their way to a top 5 league, great. No extra credit for that, and no guarantee you are always a top 5 league.

hate your idea of reducing auto bids. why? to get the 5th best A10 team added? like they earned it?
our auto bid when we were the 15 seed beating Syracuse would never have happened under your proposal.
But is he reducing auto bids, if P6 teams that are 20-13 get an auto bid?

lol, 20 wins. Syracuse would play 13 buy games at the Carrier Dome - likely every one of them against a team 300+ in ratings, win them all, then go 7-11 in ACC, beating the dregs of the league (or 6-12 with plans to win an outbracket ACC tourney game. Think about the stakes of that 6-12 vs 3-15 Tuesday matchup - March Madness at its finest!)

So would St. John's, G. Tech, Minnesota and every other team that doesn't perform regularly bc their program hasn't adapted. No one would ever schedule the A10 OOC. Like ever.

A 20-13 P6 team on the bubble is always more deserving than any champ from a lot of those leagues. Another thing I’d like to see is add an extra weekend between the conference title games and the first round of the tournament and have all the bubble teams play each other for the final few bids. So basically expand the first 4.

So start the tournament 12 days after the conference tournaments end (13 days for most, 20 days for smaller conferences)?

This is also a terrible idea.

EDIT - if you want to expand, everything has to be played on that Tuesday/Weds where the current outbracket games are played. There has been talk of having a first 4 in each region - which is actually a decent idea in my opinion - but only if they kept those same days of playing those games. The b2b weekends of college hoops is so exciting, they have zero reason to change those. They own the sports landscape with brackets coming out, everyone making picks, games all day for 4 days in a row...it's perfect.

Reactions: gospidersgo
lol, 20 wins. Syracuse would play 13 buy games at the Carrier Dome - likely every one of them against a team 300+ in ratings, win them all, then go 7-11 in ACC, beating the dregs of the league (or 6-12 with plans to win an outbracket ACC tourney game. Think about the stakes of that 6-12 vs 3-15 Tuesday matchup - March Madness at its finest!)

So would St. John's, G. Tech, Minnesota and every other team that doesn't perform regularly bc their program hasn't adapted. No one would ever schedule the A10 OOC. Like ever.
My solution to that is have more games like the acc sec challenge and have multiple of those a year so these teams can’t just schedule a bunch of buy games. Imagine how cool that could be. Tv networks would eat that up.

at 20 wins, you'd have 90% of every big conference get in. They all would schedule terribly OOC bc there would be zero incentive to play anyone good, ever. Just play the worst 13 teams you can OOC and then win 7 games in league + league tournament.

at 20 wins, you'd have 90% of every big conference get in. They all would schedule terribly OOC bc there would be zero incentive to play anyone good, ever. Just play the worst 13 teams you can OOC and then win 7 games in league + league tournament.
Which is why I’m saying put a cap on those kind of games and schedule more cross conference challenge type of games. Even do something like the acc A10 challenge, that would be awesome.

A 20-13 P6 team on the bubble is always more deserving than any champ from a lot of those leagues. Another thing I’d like to see is add an extra weekend between the conference title games and the first round of the tournament and have all the bubble teams play each other for the final few bids. So basically expand the first 4.
We can agree to disagree. This school has made its name being the underdog, the Giant Killers.

Teel does not seem to think JMU will make it.
JMU has an impressive record and a win over Michigan State and they may not make the dance with a 28-3 record. They have a Net ranking of 52. No Sun Belt team has received an at-large bid since 28-5 Middle Tennessee State in 2013...

Spiders on a roll​

He thinks our humble Spiders may have a better shot...
"Richmond (22-7, 14-2 Atlantic 10) has not lost to anyone outside the NET’s top 150, and if the Spiders defeat either Saint Joseph’s or George Mason this week, they will earn their first A-10 regular-season title....
The most recent A-10 team to at least share the regular-season title and not make the NCAA tournament was Massachusetts in 2007....

But the Spiders are 70th on the NET, and since the NET’s 2018 inception, only three teams ranked in the 70s received an at-large bid..."

Eye test not kind to UVa​

Beyond North Carolina, Duke and Clemson, no ACC team should feel secure about its Selection Sunday prospects....

Virginia (21-9, 12-7) need only defeat Georgia Tech at home Saturday to secure a top-four seed and double-bye in the ACC tournament, but scoring fewer than 50 points four times in the last five games and losing seven times this season by at least 16 points has imperiled the Cavaliers’ chances....

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Gonna have to rant a little bit about net here. I’m in a group chat with a lot of my tech basketball friends so we talk about this stuff quite a bit. Net might actually be the most backwards metric I can think of. In what world does it make sense that beating poopy joes day care academy by 50 makes you a better team than beating an actual good team even by a small margin. This whole margin of victory thing it’s based on is stupid because once teams get up by a certain amount garbage time results really don’t matter so no need to take them into account. needs to be a cutoff with the system once you’re up by a certain amount.

The A10 is actually a prime example of how stupid the net is. You have Dayton who I’m not denying is a good team but is somehow in the top 40 of the net when we’re 70th or whatever??? Dayton played the same group of teams we did and lost more games oh and also lost to us head to head but somehow is 30+ spots better???!!! That makes ZERO sense. If that’s the case then why even play the games? Just put 68 teams in the field at the beginning of the season and go from there. No system is perfect but the old rpi was better because it was more about who you played and who you beat, which is how it should be. Instead we value all these efficiency metrics, bpi, kpi, spi, fbi, HPV, whatever other gobbledy gook they throw at us.

Don’t believe me that the net is stupid? Go look at the net rankings the last few years and the teams all these metrics love typically haven’t fared very well in the tournament. College basketball and sports in general were fine the way they previously were. We just had to let these nerds who eat sunscreen for breakfast and haven’t came out the basement in 15 years come in and ruin sports for us. Games aren’t played on a math worksheet. I could go a lot further into this like how the acc really isn’t that bad a league but is viewed by the net and all these other metrics as a trash league. I’ll sum it all up by saying we need to just bring rpi back; this really isn’t meant to be super complicated.
Mannnn….I felt that 🙌🏼

My solution to that is have more games like the acc sec challenge and have multiple of those a year so these teams can’t just schedule a bunch of buy games. Imagine how cool that could be. Tv networks would eat that up.
My solution is to keep all the autobids, and require a greater than .500 regular season conference record to be eligible for an at large…

Reactions: urfan1
My solution is to keep all the autobids, and require a greater than .500 regular season conference record to be eligible for an at large…
Just don’t think you can do that because I think we’ve had teams finish with .500 or less records in their power 5 league and make the final 4/win it all. I believe Uconn may have been under .500 in the big east the year they won it with Kenna walker.

One basic principle is that you probably should have at least a .500 record in conference to qualify. If the argument is tough conferences deserve more consideration that seems fine, but it also means you should at least be above the line against your equal competition.

Just don’t think you can do that because I think we’ve had teams finish with .500 or less records in their power 5 league and make the final 4/win it all. I believe Uconn may have been under .500 in the big east the year they won it with Kenna walker.

No, they were .500 in BE conference (9-9) and they also won the auto bid so their qualification as an at large under a hypothetical rule would not have even applied. Plus I think it should be .500 in reg season and in league tourney combined. Uconn was well over if u add in BE tourney. They won like 4-5 games in a row.

Uconn isn't the exception but u can usually always find one. Fact is the teams under .500 in league play have historically performed poorly in NCAA.

It would be a great rule, thus we'll never see it.

Gonna have to rant a little bit about net here. I’m in a group chat with a lot of my tech basketball friends so we talk about this stuff quite a bit. Net might actually be the most backwards metric I can think of. In what world does it make sense that beating poopy joes day care academy by 50 makes you a better team than beating an actual good team even by a small margin. This whole margin of victory thing it’s based on is stupid because once teams get up by a certain amount garbage time results really don’t matter so no need to take them into account. needs to be a cutoff with the system once you’re up by a certain amount.

The A10 is actually a prime example of how stupid the net is. You have Dayton who I’m not denying is a good team but is somehow in the top 40 of the net when we’re 70th or whatever??? Dayton played the same group of teams we did and lost more games oh and also lost to us head to head but somehow is 30+ spots better???!!! That makes ZERO sense. If that’s the case then why even play the games? Just put 68 teams in the field at the beginning of the season and go from there. No system is perfect but the old rpi was better because it was more about who you played and who you beat, which is how it should be. Instead we value all these efficiency metrics, bpi, kpi, spi, fbi, HPV, whatever other gobbledy gook they throw at us.

Don’t believe me that the net is stupid? Go look at the net rankings the last few years and the teams all these metrics love typically haven’t fared very well in the tournament. College basketball and sports in general were fine the way they previously were. We just had to let these nerds who eat sunscreen for breakfast and haven’t came out the basement in 15 years come in and ruin sports for us. Games aren’t played on a math worksheet. I could go a lot further into this like how the acc really isn’t that bad a league but is viewed by the net and all these other metrics as a trash league. I’ll sum it all up by saying we need to just bring rpi back; this really isn’t meant to be super complicated.
Thanks for joining the choir. This has been discussed for a long time now on this board. Its the dumbest system ever invented. And its two fold because it not only ranks teams stupidly but then uses those ridiculous rankings to determine quality Quad wins.

hate your idea of reducing auto bids. why? to get the 5th best A10 team added? like they earned it?
our auto bid when we were the 15 seed beating Syracuse would never have happened under your proposal.

UMBC over UVA
FDU over Purdue
Saint Peters over Kentucky ...

the greatest upsets in NCAA history don't happen without autobids.
Totally agree. A horrible idea but wont be surprised if the money hungry ncaa lets it happen.

Silly to even debate this idea. Its absolutely ridiculous.

UR: 70 -> 69 (Drunk John Hardt will be thrilled)
Bonnie 68 -> 75 after their choke session last night which I am bummed about. Would have much rather played Bonnie over Mass or VCU in the semis.
Agree. Mass and VCU the only 2 conf teams we lost to, and I’d like to think those 2 games are anomalies, and we were in temporary funks at that period of the season. Seems we’ve corrected that ship. Of those two, I’d rather play Mass as I just think VCU presents a tougher matchup. On the other hand, a win over VCU gives more satisfaction. Once the tournament begins, you have to run through the teams playing best basketball - so we just need to take care of business, play like we’ve been playing, and win tournament. Then no bull$hit NET hanging over our neck.

Buffalo and VMI seasons end with a whimper. 4 wins each. My god.

UNI beats Belmont to move to the MVC semis with a chance to get to 20 wins. They take on (likely in) Indiana St. in the semis. Ugh. Drake won on the other side of that bracket.

Can someone explain how Drake is highly regarded? Best win OOC is Nevada, no other notable OOC wins at all, got absolutely steamrolled OOC by a SF Austin team that has about 13 losses and went 16-4 in the MVC including a loss to 15-17 Illinois St and another to 17-16 Missouri St. Split with Indiana St. How is that a NET of 48? Talk about scheduling - they played exactly ZERO P6 teams this season!!!

Wichita St. up two at the half on Tulane.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Buffalo and VMI seasons end with a whimper. 4 wins each. My god.

UNI beats Belmont to move to the MVC semis with a chance to get to 20 wins. They take on (likely in) Indiana St. in the semis. Ugh. Drake won on the other side of that bracket.

Can someone explain how Drake is highly regarded? Best win OOC is Nevada, no other notable OOC wins at all, got absolutely steamrolled OOC by a SF Austin team that has about 13 losses and went 16-4 in the MVC including a loss to 15-17 Illinois St and another to 17-16 Missouri St. Split with Indiana St. How is that a NET of 48? Talk about scheduling - they played exactly ZERO P6 teams this season!!!

Wichita St. up two at the half on Tulane.
The WS score didnt age well

most scores don't (except final scores.)

but yeah, they are playing defense at same pace as first half, but playing offense at 1/2 the output.

DeLonnie's old team upset top-seeded CCSU yesterday and is playing Merrimack tonight for a bid. Wagner does have another lefty guard this year.

Wagner is indeed going dancing after winning the NEC tourney as a 6-seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT