ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

A-10 schedule doesn’t matter. Lose 7 or less for the whole season or have to win the tournament. Only way in for us.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Same rule was in place last year and we had a third game. Hofstra played us and Maryland, while Detroit played Lousiville and Mississippi State. And Hofstra and Detroit played each other to round out their part of the MTE.

its possible. Think trend will be to get rid of those required campus site games for most part as schools want greater flexibility w own scheduling. Also since these tourneys r scheduled in advance may take a year to ween off them idk.

but mainly hard to see us adding another bunny to schedule. Hofstra is on the high end of type of game u get in those, more likely it would a much worse game. Unfortunately maybe that’s what we want.

A-10 schedule doesn’t matter. Lose 7 or less for the whole season or have to win the tournament. Only way in for us.
Our last three OOC games are at Duke, at Kansas and at Gonzaga, so we’ll have some chance to make hay.

• Haha
Reactions: WCUR11
Most of the NCAAs our team has made it to have been from winning a conference tournament. This A10 schedule gives us a good chance on finishing in the top 4 and improves our chances of winning the A10 tournament.
Glass half full. I wonder how much the A-10 H&H pairing actually increases our chances of getting a Top 4 seed, which in turns increases of chances of winning the A-10 tournament versus playing a tough schedule and getting an at large. 2011 might be able to help us here, but I would say neglible.

On a broader scale, do fans want to see and players want to play and challenge themselves to play the best, or is everyone cool playing a bunch of cupcakes.

Glass half full. I wonder how much the A-10 H&H pairing actually increases our chances of getting a Top 4 seed, which in turns increases of chances of winning the A-10 tournament versus playing a tough schedule and getting an at large. 2011 might be able to help us here, but I would say neglible.

On a broader scale, do fans want to see and players want to play and challenge themselves to play the best, or is everyone cool playing a bunch of cupcakes.
The last point is the only one I care about. As a fan, I want to see the marquee teams play us.

it makes some sense now with bloated conferences meaning you don't play everyone twice any more.
but no, I don't like it. the conference tournament should be based on conference play only to me.

I have no problem playing William and Mary every year and maybe adding 1-2 other local VA schools as well. The problem is what you do around those games. Everyone has cupcakes, but just like in real life - you can't have too many.

In the A10 - I think there are 2 ways to schedule.

1) Play anyone, anywhere. Almost a JW style of scheduling. Take any game you can get against the best opponents, even if it means 1 game on the road and no return. This might result in losses, but they can easily be overcome with some wins. People forget in the Kansas year of 2004 - we were 7-5 when our OOC ended. We go 7-5 now and people will jump off cliffs. But with wins on the road against San Francisco, South Florida, and Colorado - we were in the mix, barely - but in the mix. Then of course beating Kansas doesn't hurt. But you schedule big - you will likely lose some games, but you hope you get the right amount of BIG wins to offset.

2) Strategic/Hopeful - This is probably the route most mid-majors take. Schedule the right amount of cupcakes, but try to make sure they hover just under the 200 mark. Get 2, maybe 3 BIG games, and hope you win one of them. Then schedule a bunch of "hopeful" games. Games against other mid-major or lower teams in power conferences. Hope you not only win these games, but that these teams go on and win in their league as well. Teams like a Utah State, you know they are good, but can they win enough and crack the top 100 for your resume if you beat them. Either way - you gonna need to rack up a good amount of wins, and hope you have the right mix.

But overall - we likely need to keep our total losses in the single digits to have a shot in any year for NCAA bid with how we schedule. 7-9 losses puts us in the conversation for NCAA bubble any year.

Us with W&M, SBU with Canisius & Niagara.

Any other A-10 historical home & homes with routinely 200 NET plus teams?

Maybe Fordham or LaSalle?

Last edited:
I think the SOS has ruined to some extent the natural rivalries. I would love to see
us play W&M, VMI, VT and UVA. These games produce great crowds and excitement among the alumni.

But let's not play the cupcakes on the road where we increase our chances of losing to them.
They are cupcakes - it should not matter where you play them. When its local - I have no problem. If our guys can't handle a 1 hour bus drive to W&M to beat them by 20 points - then lets be honest, we are not an NCAA team.

Agree though - I would not be flying across country to play a cupcake or take a road trip to do so - they should come to us in those examples.

Us with W&M, SBU with Canisius & Niagara.

Any other A-10 historical home & homes with routinely 200 NET plus teams?

Maybe Fordham or LaSalle?
Remarkable to say this, but Charlotte has become one of those teams for Davidson. Even worse, Charlotte has won two out of the last three.

Fordham has Manhattan in the annual Battle of the Bronx, but of course, Fordham itself is usually 200+.

Remarkable to say this, but Charlotte has become one of those teams for Davidson. Even worse, Charlotte has won two out of the last three.

Fordham has Manhattan in the annual Battle of the Bronx, but of course, Fordham itself is usually 200+.
UNCC 97-141 over last 8 seasons? Geez!

But let's not play the cupcakes on the road where we increase our chances of losing to them.
But, doing this would usually help from a quad standpoint. More times than not you would get a Q3 instead of Q4 if you played 1 or 2 of these on the road. I have no issues at all with this game. We can't want and hope for home and homes with a Wake Forest, and then turn around and say we should never do home and homes with a CAA team.

W&M was one of the absolute worst teams in D-I last year. It's going to take a significant bump for them to become a Q3 even as a road game.

We've at least been Wake's peer over the past decade...average KenPoms: Wake 93, UR 100, W&M 194.

Reactions: urfan1
But, doing this would usually help from a quad standpoint. More times than not you would get a Q3 instead of Q4 if you played 1 or 2 of these on the road. I have no issues at all with this game. We can't want and hope for home and homes with a Wake Forest, and then turn around and say we should never do home and homes with a CAA team.

right I agree & I’ve made those same points b4. & also due to local history w W&M. Fact is W&M won’t give us a buy game that’s their right. Maybe we could get a 2 for 1 eventually but we need more ncaa consistency to earn it. Now SF is right it absolutely makes game harder on road but one we should still win regularly unless W&M improves to some of their later Shaver years.

tho I would not say Wake is the equivalent. We know the history of why we’ve had that series. UVA or VT would be the real equivalent imo and we don’t get H&H’s w them.

my main issue with this game isn’t W&M in a vacuum but because right now our schedule is too damn weak. We need some good news re: ooc schedule.

Reactions: VT4700
Fact is W&M won’t give us a buy game that’s their right.
W&M won't "give us" a buy game? lol.

it's not like you have to beg a crappy program to take your $75k to come play. 200 teams would accept if offered.

personally I have no need to play W&M with their program in the state it was in last year.
and maybe my memory is too long, but some of you forgive and forget more easily. wasn't all that long ago when we moved to the A10 when W&M publically stated they wouldn't schedule us to give us a local game ... they wanted our travel costs to hurt.

I'm not opposed to many home and homes with the CAA. just not with the absolute worst team in the CAA.

If my simplistic assumptions were correct, and to some (perhaps great) extent they are not...

1) All Q3 & Q4 wins are ignored, all Q3 & Q4 losses are exaggerated.
2) All home games give you a 70% chance of victory, all road games give you a 30% chance of victory.

Would it make any sense to play #225 on the road?

I know it is much more nuanced then that.
And I know W&M/UR is not just some random game and has significance outside of the sport.

But to me the games that you want to flip from home to road are the #76-#135 games...not the #240+ games.

Would anyone be upset if we collected $75k to switch the Fairleigh Dickinson game to an away game?

Last edited:
W&M won't "give us" a buy game? lol.

it's not like you have to beg a crappy program to take your $75k to come play. 200 teams would accept if offered.

personally I have no need to play W&M with their program in the state it was in last year.
and maybe my memory is too long, but some of you forgive and forget more easily. wasn't all that long ago when we moved to the A10 when W&M publically stated they wouldn't schedule us to give us a local game ... they wanted our travel costs to hurt.

I'm not opposed to many home and homes with the CAA. just not with the absolute worst team in the CAA.

well it was 20+ years ago, time tends to do that. But I get your take overall. & I was just stating that a W&M buy game is not an option for anyone who maybe thought it was.

200 teams? I assume u were being hyperbolic on purpose. It's really not close to that. We are more limited at UR with who we can get for buy games. When was the last time we played a buy game with a team outside the eastern time zone? I cant remember. Has to be extremely rare. Those OOC buy games for a UR are going to be pretty universally regional.

I'm definitely not hung up on playing w&m but it doesn't bother me & I expected it. This is not even our first H&H with them in Mooney era post A10 move. What bothers me is playing W&M when u also have games against FDU and Bucknell. And Bucknell is someone we've played on road b4 too. That's 4 really bad NET games when u add VMI. I dislike FDU & Bucknell more.

Also who knows maybe we paid our boy Lunardi to tell us to give W&M a home & home! don't discount our illustrious scheduling consultant.

When was the last time we played a buy game with a team outside the eastern time zone? I cant remember. Has to be extremely rare.
Jacksonville State a few years ago when they destroyed us by 30+? God, that was embarrassing.

Reactions: SpiderK
200 teams? I assume u were being hyperbolic on purpose. It's really not close to that.
you might be right. I have no idea how many it would be. most teams would prefer a home and home, but I'm not sure many turn down buy games when offered. many schools with big endowments have limited athletic budgets. Ivy's with mosterous endowments take buy games all the time.

you might be right. I have no idea how many it would be. most teams would prefer a home and home, but I'm not sure many turn down buy games when offered. many schools with big endowments have limited athletic budgets. Ivy's with mosterous endowments take buy games all the time.

idk if it were that easy to get a Harvard Princeton penn Yale I’d think we’d be offering them a buy game all the time yet it doesn’t happen. Maybe our staff has to work the ooc connections harder. I do remember a game vs Harvard in Beilein or wainwright era b4 Harvard elevated their program and the school marketed a game picture with Jeff Myers & a Harvard player for years in our publications so UR would eat that up. Those schools have plenty of options regardless. The other half of the Ivy sure but what they do for us? they r similar to W&M except w/o the local ties.

I don't think buy games ever do much for your resume. it in theory is a home win against a lesser opponent.
probably right about upper Ivy. looks like they play a lot of PL, CAA and lower teams for competitive games with maybe one buy game against a high major. so i guess our buy games will continue to be NC Central types.

We should not be playing William & Mary. They are not a rival, maybe at one point a long time ago they were, but no one under the age of 60 considers them a rival. Their program is a laughingstock, literally one of the 5 D-1 program who has never been to the tournament.

Scheduling them only hurts us. We lose, our at large resume is cooked even a win is a hit to our resume. This is scheduling 101 for teams that want to be in consideration for the tournament and we have scheduled a bunch of them now.

I just don't understand our need to shoot ourselves in the foot before the season starts.

If we can’t beat W&M next year. We should fire Mooney afterwards. Tired of lame excuses we are young

I’ve always been of the belief that if a team wins the state, even transitorially (as we know who avoids who), that team would secure a bid to the tourney.

Impossible to do that. One, every team won't play every other team, so you can't decide who won the state based on so few games. Two, if the state of Virginia got a bid this way, other states would need one too.

Impossible to do that. One, every team won't play every other team, so you can't decide who won the state based on so few games. Two, if the state of Virginia got a bid this way, other states would need one too.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Collegiate basketball in the state of Virginia is strong enough for the top team to be able to secure an at large bid every year. And yes the teams do not play each other, hence my transitory statement. I would rather us play in state teams no matter what their strength to fill in OOC games, than out of state cupcakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT