ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

I thought we had 11 before Coppin ST, Now we have 11 with Coppin ST?

Unless we get 2 really nice games with our last 2 games, this schedule is suiting up nicely to absolutely screw over our chances of an at large bid. 5 Quad 4 games out of 11, my god. You could have put my 14 year old in charge scheduling and come up with something better than this.

how old is Lunardi?

Do I have this correct?

Location/Team/Last Season NET/Quad

Home/Drake/85/Q3
Home/UNI/98/Q3
Home/VMI/175/Q4
Home/Coppin ST/301/Q4 (by 141)
Home/Bucknell/334/Q4 (by 174)
Home/Fairleigh Dickinson/349/Q4 (by 189)

Away/Toledo/86/Q2
Away/Charleston/144/Q3
Away/W&M/339/Q4 (by 99)

2 of
Neutral/ST John/64/Q2
Neutral/Syracuse/83/Q2
Neutral/Temple/111/Q3

Last year, Davidson had an OOC SOS over 200, went 9-1 against Q3 and 11-0 against Q4. So, it's pretty simple really. Just go 15-3 in the A-10. 😀

Reactions: urfan1
So without knowing the last 2 OOC games, the scheduling has left no margin for error. Minefields abound and the lack of premium opponents makes each conference game similarly high-pressure to win. I don't know what is going on so far but without something like a top 5 game vs Kansas or UNC or something similar, I'm not very happy. We always drop some games where the offense doesn't click or a team shoots 65% from 3 - against this schedule we cannot afford that. I agree with the person who said just go 15-3 in conference. It may well be necessary just bc of one bad game in November.

Maybe looks bad on paper, but there is still a chance for a good schedule. Let's see what the last 2 look like. We have 5 likely top 100 games with possible bubble teams. If the final 2 games are against top 100 teams, that could be 7. We could have 4 300+ teams if the ones from last year do not improve, so that is not good, but we could still have a good enough overall OOC SOS where it won't hurt us if we win enough. Bottom line is just win. And, we will have plenty of chances for Q1 wins in conference. I think regardless of OOC schedule, if you win enough of them (10-3 or 11-2?), we would still likely need 13 or 14 wins IC anyway because you don't want to be behind other A-10 bubble teams.

The only *good* thing is that the bad teams are seemingly so bad that it would take a Herculean effort of ineptitude to lose to one of them, so it doesn't appear that there are actually any really awful landmine games from that perspective.

Think they’re banking on the Barclays teams being better this year & they might be incrementally. But they’ve been down. Maybe a couple r bubble teams but very hard to see more than 1 as Ncaa.

vmi & UNI r projected to be much worse than last year. The Q4s will stay Q4s. Toledo & charkeston idk likely middle of pack but as true road games not easy.

Drake is the best game.

Memphis knows how to develop a schedule. Maybe we should send Gipe out to spend a few weeks with Penny.

I noticed they have 2 exhibition games on the schedule - I know this is something UR really never does, but has anyone ever got an explanation on that? I like the idea of maybe playing Randolph-Macon, just down the road in an annual exhibition. Easy fan interest. Gets new guys, either transfers or FROSH - used to game-like atmosphere for 1 game before season, and gives fans a little preview. Why not have 1 of these games - all tickets $5 - first come first serve on seats.

Trend for exhibition games has been to call them a "scrimmage" game with no fans............

But couldn't UR play one scrimmage behind closed doors, and then play 1 exhibition with fans?

Yes I believe u get 2 and they can be combined any way u want, 2 closed scrimmages, 2 exb, 1 of each. Does seem many like the scrimmage route. Some schools, such as a Memphis, can sell more tickets to exhibitions and want the $. Pros/cons to each but I agree with u Trap, I think 1 scrimmage and 1 exhibition against a Randy Mac would be better. I think there is some benefit to going through the motions of a real game rather than only a scrimmage that is often set up differently. Even it is low pressure exhibition there r fans etc. Obviously good for fanbase to get early opportunity to see the team too. I get why coaches want a more competitive game but just 1 of those scrimmages seems fine. And Randy Mac is always a top D3 team.

I've noticed lots of teams are adding the exhibition games to their OOC schedule releases. Not sure if this is new or are they are just adding them to their published scheduled now.

Frankly with William and Mary, FDU, VMI, Coppin State, and Bucknell on the schedule, we kind of got a bunch of exhibition like games already scheduled.

Really need these last 2 games to be really good games.

We have no idea what kind of point guards we are going to have. Until we see if that is a solid position, we don’t know if we can beat anybody. We need a weak OOC schedule this year to let this totally new team gel. We will have to win the A-10 tournament either way.

Agreed - PG position is the biggest ??? on our team and it is a position under Mooney that usually needs to be our best player or 2nd best in order for us to succeed. I have no reason to believe Nelson will not be a good player - the question really is - will he be good enough this season, or does he need a year under his belt of playing big minutes before he really blossoms.

We have no idea what kind of point guards we are going to have. Until we see if that is a solid position, we don’t know if we can beat anybody. We need a weak OOC schedule this year to let this totally new team gel. We will have to win the A-10 tournament either way.
If Mooney didn't like our PG options, he would have gone after one in the portal. "We" don't know, but he does and likes what he sees.

Clemson 81 in NET last year, 17-16. What are they returning? As an away game I can understand this as an equivalent to what we thought the NCSU game was last year (which turned into a dog as NCSU bombed out all year.)

Doesn't move the needle for me as we still need a really good game on the OOC schedule.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
If Mooney didn't like our PG options, he would have gone after one in the portal. "We" don't know, but he does and likes what he sees.
I agree - like I said, he has good luck or been good in getting good PG's during his tenure. I think the biggest question is since Nelson has not played, does this upcoming year act like a frosh year where he experiences ups and downs, and growing pains, which could lead to some unfortunate losses - or does he step right in, ready to go, and take over - and not be up to Gilyard standards - but provides a solid PG who we can count on for 30+ minutes a night.

I agree - like I said, he has good luck or been good in getting good PG's during his tenure. I think the biggest question is since Nelson has not played, does this upcoming year act like a frosh year where he experiences ups and downs, and growing pains, which could lead to some unfortunate losses - or does he step right in, ready to go, and take over - and not be up to Gilyard standards - but provides a solid PG who we can count on for 30+ minutes a night.
I am going to remain optimistic that we have sufficient experience here: 1) Dji - not a ton of game minutes, but does have game experience and two years in the system. 2) Nelson - no game experience but a RS year in the system and practicing vs all time Spider great and all time D1 steals leader daily.

So I am going to go glass half full here and think these guys will be a positive.

Solid neutral site game. Now, let's get a good road game for the final one. A top 50-75 type quad 1 would be perfect.

Neutral. eye roll. Greenville is 30 miles from Clemson. At least NC State was in Charlotte. I swear some of these schools do this so they don't get dinged as much for NET and/or as way to not return a game as part of H&H..."see this is a 1 off neutral game we aren't asking u to come to our place". And honestly Clemson is type of P6 game we legitimately could get a H&H. Their students will be gone we might as well play at Clemson it would be the same difficulty but we get the better NET slot. Playing in Greenville gets them out of comfort zone a bit but I would say negligible. Now if students were not gone it's different. Whatever...we have to play this game sometimes it's just too bad not a H&H like it should be imo.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Clemson 81 in NET last year, 17-16. What are they returning? As an away game I can understand this as an equivalent to what we thought the NCSU game was last year (which turned into a dog as NCSU bombed out all year.)

Doesn't move the needle for me as we still need a really good game on the OOC schedule.
True but my group of friend and I had a great time in Charlotte and like the potential Sat scheduling for this so pretty sure we would go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT