ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

Oh, and Golden should be added on Odell Hodge's wiki page. Can anyone spot where?

Interesting, Mooney seems open to getting ODU back on the schedule in the future.

And agreed...Bucknell, W&M, and FDU is a trifecta of some of the worst teams in the country. Do not like. W&M had better not be a home-and-home arrangement.

Edit: Rumor was that the ODU move might be an A-10 directive, with both VCU and UR dumping them, but Teel says it doesn't appear to be case. A-10 spokesperson also claims it's not true.

I wonder if this reply is true

Yeah, it would be pretty difficult for 15 teams to schedule 4-6 road games apiece and have all of them be teams in the top 100. But generally speaking I like the idea of a directive like that. And that might have been the gist of it but with some wiggle room.

Just so SF won't get bored, I wonder what are the 10 teams (or so) we played the most in basketball from 1976-1977 to 2000-2001?

Without looking, I would guess W&M, VCU/ODU, JMU/GMU would be in that group...

VMI? Wake? Navy?
Quick hand count, so I might be off by a bit here and there, but obviously it's mostly a list of our CAA conference mates.

53: VCU
53: W&M
50: ECU
50: GMU
49: JMU
45: ODU
43: UNCW
42: American
28: Navy
24: VMI
20: VT
20: Wake
15: Radford
11: UVA

Clearly this is a geopolitical move by the imperial A10 to subjugate ODU, an athletic department they once desired, and their basketball program to a second class status. Let us not forget that it was once a desired program for this conference and endorsed by several on this board as an attractive A10 expansion candidate.

The A10 hoped that it would wait out ODU football leaving CUSA to become independent and bring the rest of ODU athletics into the A10 sphere of influence. Since plan A failed its on to plan B, refusing to play them and starving the program of notable opponents. This is a lesson to any of the other future A10 expansion candidates to play ball with their future overlord Commissioner McGlade or there will be consequences.

Once ODU decided to go FBS, there was zero chance they would join the A-10.

Unless your name is UConn, you're not sacrificing your FBS football program in the name of basketball.

Well, we're playing at Charleston, which was 144 last year and unlikely to break into the top 100 anytime soon.
There definitely has to be wiggle room for grandfathered past contracts and future predicted NETs.
But I wonder if this was at least a memo of "suggested" level of road OOC games?

Quick hand count, so I might be off by a bit here and there, but obviously it's mostly a list of our CAA conference mates.

53: VCU
53: W&M
50: ECU
50: GMU
49: JMU
45: ODU
43: UNCW
42: American
28: Navy
24: VMI
20: VT
20: Wake
15: Radford
11: UVA
This is over 25 seasons (and yes I picked CAA (or after SoCon before A-10). and just trying to see how ODU fit in.

Didn't remember ECU, AU & UNCW being there so long for H&H...Conference Tourney affected the numbers as well.

2025-2026 will be 25 seasons in the A-10, I believe.

The A-10 has long had scheduling guidelines...here's what they were as of 2017–18 (Appendix III). Note the third bullet point *cough* Bucknell, FDU, W&M *cough*.

- Teams should avoid scheduling non-Division I opponents; however, in the rare event that this is unavoidable, the approval of the commissioner must be received.

- Institutions should schedule a balance of opponents in the RPI range of 1-50, 51-125, 126-175, and 176-274. In addition, institutions should strive to achieve an average opponent RPI in the range of 86-145.

- Scheduling non-conference opponents with an RPI of 250 or higher is discouraged.

- Teams shall not schedule more than one guarantee game at an away site. Games played on national television do not count toward this limitation.

- Teams shall have a goal of winning 70% of their non-conference games.

Clearly this is a geopolitical move by the imperial A10 to subjugate ODU, an athletic department they once desired, and their basketball program to a second class status. Let us not forget that it was once a desired program for this conference and endorsed by several on this board as an attractive A10 expansion candidate.

The A10 hoped that it would wait out ODU football leaving CUSA to become independent and bring the rest of ODU athletics into the A10 sphere of influence. Since plan A failed its on to plan B, refusing to play them and starving the program of notable opponents. This is a lesson to any of the other future A10 expansion candidates to play ball with their future overlord Commissioner McGlade or there will be consequences.

I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.

I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 8legs1dream
The A-10 has long had scheduling guidelines...here's what they were as of 2017–18 (Appendix III). Note the third bullet point *cough* Bucknell, FDU, W&M *cough*.

- Teams should avoid scheduling non-Division I opponents; however, in the rare event that this is unavoidable, the approval of the commissioner must be received.

- Institutions should schedule a balance of opponents in the RPI range of 1-50, 51-125, 126-175, and 176-274. In addition, institutions should strive to achieve an average opponent RPI in the range of 86-145.

- Scheduling non-conference opponents with an RPI of 250 or higher is discouraged.

- Teams shall not schedule more than one guarantee game at an away site. Games played on national television do not count toward this limitation.

- Teams shall have a goal of winning 70% of their non-conference games.

I wonder if it was even stronger worded in 2001-2002 to 2005-2006.
The top half of the A-10 seemed to have Top 75 OOC schedules.

I don't know who this Lanston guy is (just an ODU fan I believe) but I'm confident he made up that "no road games over 100 NET" idea.

as if we wouldn't be ok with going to FSU, Stanford, Minnesota, Butler, Louisville, NC State, etc...

more than half of our own conference is over 100 but we won't play anyone like that?

Ok, I'll guess it said "Avoid 136 or worst NET games as true road games" :)

my mortal lock prediction of W&M back on schedule came true.

Along w confirmation we have also dropped ODU or pausing it temporarily. While W&M is a home game I expect it's not a buy game but part of a series. W&M has not given us buy games in past.
From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a multi year deal with W&M. Starting with a game in Williamsburg this coming season. I think it's great to play UR regularly again. No reason long time rivals and peer universities shouldn't face each other yearly. Makes too much sense.

Actually, the reason not to play is that W&M is one of the worst programs in the country, and we gain nothing by winning, while a loss eliminates us from at-large consideration.

I just realized our Charleston road game must be the return game of the one we played in the RC in 2019. The return got canceled the following year with the COVID reduced scheduling mess, and I guess it just didn't work out to do it this past season.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I just realized our Charleston road game must be the return game of the one we played in the RC in 2019. The return got canceled the following year with the COVID reduced scheduling mess, and I guess it just didn't work out to do it this past season.
Not too bummed about the away game at Charleston .. still sort of think of Charleston as potential new A10 school at some time.

I get that UR has been in a better place program wise and the negative implications for post season play when facing a CAA team. It made little sense to face W&M pre 2020.
Post-covid in the world of conference realignments and transfer portals, you will see much more regional scheduling in all sports. All universities are feeling the pinch and are looking to trim budgets. UR is rebuilding. W&M is rebuilding. Realistically, neither is an at large team. Like it or not, we are long time rivals with common alumni demographics. Right now, It's good for both programs and I hope it continues beyond the 4 or 5 years of this deal.
It's fine to doubt me on the venue. I'll have a beer waiting for you when you make the drive out 64.

I don't view this year as a rebuilding year at all. We absolutely are aiming for an at-large, and we need to schedule like it. Nothing against W&M -- all things considered, I'd love to play them every year if they were a top-150 team. The drive over to the burg is easy and one I like making. But right now it doesn't make sense for us.

I get that UR has been in a better place program wise and the negative implications for post season play when facing a CAA team. It made little sense to face W&M pre 2020.
Post-covid in the world of conference realignments and transfer portals, you will see much more regional scheduling in all sports. All universities are feeling the pinch and are looking to trim budgets. UR is rebuilding. W&M is rebuilding. Realistically, neither is an at large team. Like it or not, we are long time rivals with common alumni demographics. Right now, It's good for both programs and I hope it continues beyond the 4 or 5 years of this deal.
It's fine to doubt me on the venue. I'll have a beer waiting for you when you make the drive out 64.
Welcome to our forum .. last time I had a beer on your campus was a pledge trip in '93 ... went to our away game in '12 but no beer yet on campus arenas. As an aside, Tyler is looking forward to putting up 30+ plus when we face off.

Last edited:
I don't view this year as a rebuilding year at all. We absolutely are aiming for an at-large, and we need to schedule like it. Nothing against W&M -- all things considered, I'd love to play them every year if they were a top-150 team. The drive over to the burg is easy and one I like making. But right now it doesn't make sense for us.
Well, that was the irony. It didn't matter when we were winning 20+ games and were sub 150 rpi or if we only won 8 games. Richmond wouldn't or couldn't schedule W&M. I get it. It's a lose - lose. A win doesn't necessarily help your standing and a loss would be crippling.
Welcome to our forum .. last time I had a beer on your campus was a pledge trip in '93 ... went to our away game in '12 but no beer yet on campus arenas. As an aside, Tyler is looking forward to putting up 30+ plus when we face off.
I'm not here to talk crap. You should have the better team and I have no idea what the W&M squad will look like with so much change. We have talent, but it truly is a brand new team. I just stopped in to correct some of the things I read here re: the scheduling

I'm not here to talk crap. You should have the better team and I have no idea what the W&M squad will look like with so much change. We have talent, but it truly is a brand new team. I just stopped in to correct some of the things I read here re: the scheduling
ok .. wow .. as folks know on this board, I'm not really one that has a reputation of "talking crap" .. so if my comments rubbed you the wrong way, my apologies. Thx for stopping in.

• Haha
ok .. wow .. as folks know on this board, I'm not really one that has a reputation of "talking crap" .. so if my comments rubbed you the wrong way, my apologies. Thx for stopping in.
I wasn't really trying to target you even though that's the way it came off. I have no allusions right now that we can pull off the upset. We return 2 starters, but have brought in some promising transfers to fill in holes and upgrade. Lots of lineup and chemistry questions. Given last seasons struggles, I'm taking a believe it when I see it stance. Hopefully, we can hold Tyler down to a manageable output. If not, we just need to hold everyone else down. Looking forward to this matchup and hopefully we surprise this year and are up to the task.

we'll always have a few weak games on the schedule. W&M bothers me less than FDU. at least there's history with W&M.
there's no reason to play FDU ... even as a buy game.

agree. Our prob is we were at the max or even higher of those dog games already & now added W&M. I did try to warn W&M was a series. But why we took fdu idk.

I expect dizzee is right about starting in the Burg bc if not that would be 4 horrid q4 home games. Vmi won’t be nearly as good as last season. R we not trying to avoid too many bad q4 games? I thought that was 1 of the narratives out there. I do think it’s ok to get some winnable road games as it helps net maybe u get lucky & it sneaks into q2 bc it was on road. And road w/l can be a committee metric too.

Don’t think u can say never to a HH w W&M bc if we don’t ever do it it’s hard to then expect a uva or vt to do a HH w us. There is still a hierarchy until we elevate our program more & go to ncaa consistently. Our prob is we don’t get the HH with the uva or tech to offset this. But it def looks like we wanted easier game than odu.

I wasn't really trying to target you even though that's the way it came off. I have no allusions right now that we can pull off the upset. We return 2 starters, but have brought in some promising transfers to fill in holes and upgrade. Lots of lineup and chemistry questions. Given last seasons struggles, I'm taking a believe it when I see it stance. Hopefully, we can hold Tyler down to a manageable output. If not, we just need to hold everyone else down. Looking forward to this matchup and hopefully we surprise this year and are up to the task.
Sounds good … i would love to see W&M do well next year - pretty much I root for all Virginia schools with one exception … thx for your comment back.

Actually, the reason not to play is that W&M is one of the worst programs in the country, and we gain nothing by winning, while a loss eliminates us from at-large consideration.
I agree we maybe gain nothing, but a loss to a single team will not eliminate you. That is only if you have a questionable resume with very few good wins and several other losses out there. Give me 10-3 OOC, 14-4 IC, and I will feel pretty good about my chances with 1 bad loss out there. I don't have a problem at all with the W&M game. Every team has games like this. I still think there's room for a couple more solid games to make the schedule acceptable overall, and I think our OOC SOS number will be fine. You just want to avoid the really bad OOC SOS numbers, like the 200 and up ones. Those are the ones, maybe even higher at 250 and up, the committee talks about when deciding why a team gets left out.

You just want to avoid the really bad OOC SOS numbers, like the 200 and up ones. Those are the ones, maybe even higher at 250 and up, the committee talks about when deciding why a team gets left out.
There's only 358 teams.

can't drag down your SOS much more than by signing up to play last years #334 (Bucknell), #339 (W&M) and #349 (FDU).

I don't think the bottom of our schedule should be that close to the bottom of all D1.

If I had to guess, I'd put our current OOC SOS rank at around 200. That's obviously super rough just based on the average of last year's NET rankings (not accounting for game location) and where that would have ranked last year. Average of last year's NET for those teams is around 174 (averaging the three Empire Classic opponents and counting that figure twice).

Still a few slots left to potentially bring that up, so we'll see how it plays out.

There's only 358 teams.

can't drag down your SOS much more than by signing up to play last years #334 (Bucknell), #339 (W&M) and #349 (FDU).

I don't think the bottom of our schedule should be that close to the bottom of all D1.
I am talking about the overall SOS number, but I hear you, and 3 of these is enough, so hopefully, our final 3 games will make the overall SOS number more than acceptable enough.

I am talking about the overall SOS number, but I hear you, and 3 of these is enough, so hopefully, our final 3 games will make the overall SOS number more than acceptable enough.

4. vmi will probably be a 300ish Net team or worse w what they lost. I do think W&M and Bucknell will improve upon last year numbers but nothing crazy. But that’s minimum four 250+ net teams already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT