ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

I am talking about the overall SOS number, but I hear you, and 3 of these is enough, so hopefully, our final 3 games will make the overall SOS number more than acceptable enough.
3 of these is 2 too many. Why are we scheduling sub 300 OOC games? What the hell does that gain us? Nothing. If we don't reload in the portal, than maybe you have somewhat of an argument, but we went out and got some really good players in the portal, but apparently our scheduling philosophy has not adjusted.

Yes, there are 3 games left to be scheduled, they had better be good.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
St. Joe's gets a potential top 5–10 opponent in Houston for the Veterans Classic this year. We obviously weren't even able to beat Utah State in our appearance, but would have been nice to have had a shot at a really big-time opponent.

Here we are...

Home: Duquesne, Fordham, Loyola, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU
Away: Davidson, Dayton, La Salle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU

Here we are...

Home: Duquesne, Fordham, Loyola, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU
Away: Davidson, Dayton, La Salle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU

Wish we had a protected home and home against Davidson in addition to VCU.

St. Joe's gets a potential top 5–10 opponent in Houston for the Veterans Classic this year. We obviously weren't even able to beat Utah State in our appearance, but would have been nice to have had a shot at a really big-time opponent.

Please stop crying over spilled milk. Let's instead look ahead to the games on our schedule this season.

Well, this does very little for our at-large hopes, but it gives us the chance for a lot of Ws, at least. The road schedule overall is not bad, and we get three teams in rebuilds out of our four home-and-homes. Maybe two if you think Mason is completely rebuilt.

Either two or three, depending on whether there is a campus game as part of the Empire Classic. If there is, we haven't identified it yet.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Here we are...

I keep hating our schedule more and more. Not playing a home and home against any of Dayton, SLU and Loyola is extremely frustrating

Here we are...

Ugh. GW and St. Bonnies are in full rebuild mode, Mason seems to be a perennial low to mid-pack team. I get it from the A-10 perspective. Dayton, VCU, SLU, Loyola are your top projected teams this year, so they are going to try and line them up to play each other as much as possible.

Which is all the more reason that we should have been scheduling more aggressively in OOC, our coaches should have seen this coming. Instead, we are lining up Farleigh Dickinson and William & Mary.

Wish we had a protected home and home against Davidson in addition to VCU.
I wonder if everyone got 1 less protected with 4 H&H instead of 5?
And was GMU our second and Davidson our third. But I agree I like Davidson as travel partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: fan2011
They gave the better schedule to vcu, and I’m not exactly sure why. I know they’ll be a top-5 team most years in the end, but they have a lot of question marks this year. I like the way we match up against them, I’ll just say that.

No respect for us, considering what Davidson and vcu lost. That’s fine. We’ll just have to take the easy schedule they handed us, capitalize on it and view it as a very nice path to a double-bye.

Ugh. GW and St. Bonnies are in full rebuild mode, Mason seems to be a perennial low to mid-pack team. I get it from the A-10 perspective. Dayton, VCU, SLU, Loyola are your top projected teams this year, so they are going to try and line them up to play each other as much as possible.

Which is all the more reason that we should have been scheduling more aggressively in OOC, our coaches should have seen this coming. Instead, we are lining up Farleigh Dickinson and William & Mary.

I think historically we get sent to play at Bona more than anyone else not named Duquesne.

We can see who A10 views as the favorites - st louis dayton vcu davidson. vcu got hooked up but not a surprise and they are consistent year to year.

But u r right this is why OOC scheduling is important to us. I said a number of times if we are relying on A10 to help us that's not smartest tactic, bc it will likely either underperform expectations or fall into the roughly 10 spot conference strength wise, and we knew we wouldn't get the stronger H&H matchups. But a # of ppl on here were thinking the A10 was going to carry us schedule wise. Not by these pairings it won't. But we'll have chance to put up better record.

Tho we really should have gotten 1 more good H&H imo. I still think we have an issue w A10 commish and big hat no cattle hardt from the Covid year. We threw A10 under the bus and remember they sided with St. Louis. Doesn't help.

Either two or three, depending on whether there is a campus game as part of the Empire Classic. If there is, we haven't identified it yet.

Can't see any way there is a 3rd game now that u can play 2 game MTEs and still schedule the 31 max. Especially bc our schedule is so light. If there was a 3rd "campus" game as part of Empire we all know it would be a terrible game. Have u seen our schedule...imagine adding another horrible 250+ net home game to that.

Our overall SOS rank per KenPom

2011​
91​
2012​
82​
2013​
106​
2014​
87​
2015​
90​
2016​
83​
2017​
90​
2018​
95​
2019​
220​
2020​
115​
2021​
89​
2022​
83​

We will see what this season is...

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I get it from the A-10 perspective. Dayton, VCU, SLU, Loyola are your top projected teams this year, so they are going to try and line them up to play each other as much as possible.
I know that's genereally been the line of thinking, but I don't see how grouping your best teams together helps the A10 at all. they beat each other up. someone has to lose each of those games. you end up with a bunch of teams with too many losses and we struggle to get more than one at-large bid.

The 4 teams we play twice went 41-27 in the A-10 last year. Let's wait and see how they do before getting all bothered here. And, we don't play any of the bottom 5 teams from last year twice. Loyola and St.Louis at home, road games at Davidson and Dayton along with the VCU home and home should give us plenty of chances for solid wins. I actually like this schedule a lot. We will always play VCU home and home, and the other three teams we play should all be at least mid tier A-10 or better, but all very winnable games.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcarter52
I know that's genereally been the line of thinking, but I don't see how grouping your best teams together helps the A10 at all. they beat each other up. someone has to lose each of those games. you end up with a bunch of teams with too many losses and we struggle to get more than one at-large bid.
I see your point, but I think biggest reason is at the end of the season certain A10 teams don’t have enough Q1 or Q2 wins. By matching these teams up, you give each team a chance to earn one last big win, which might be enough at the end of the season to get at At Large bid.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I see your point, but I think biggest reason is at the end of the season certain A10 teams don’t have enough Q1 or Q2 wins. By matching these teams up, you give each team a chance to earn one last big win, which might be enough at the end of the season to get at At Large bid.
I know that's what they say, but it doesn't seem to work.

the contrarian in me would like to see the opposite. project our top 5 teams. have them play home and homes with the bottom 5 teams. we could end up with 4 or 5 teams going 15-3 in conference. I get that they won't have a ton of Q1 wins, but they won't have losses either. if they do well enough OOC, that's a lot of teams with gaudy records in a league that's ranked pretty high.

the contrarian in me would like to see the opposite. project our top 5 teams. have them play home and homes with the bottom 5 teams. we could end up with 4 or 5 teams going 15-3 in conference. I get that they won't have a ton of Q1 wins, but they won't have losses either. if they do well enough OOC, that's a lot of teams with gaudy records in a league that's ranked pretty high.
That would never work. 1. The committee would see right through that. They already find every reason to penalize non majors, no need to give them another. 2. We will always play VCU twice, and I would think Dayton, St Louis, and now Loyola will play each other twice. I think the bottom line is just win because it is usually a few bad losses, and not the conference schedule, that keeps teams out. Same thing with OOC. Just win.

it could be a consideration...but I think A10 has resigned itself to being a 2-3 bid league. They r protecting the floor instead of the ceiling of 4-5. Think they’ve seen the a10 middling ooc performance for enough years that they don’t envision teams doing as well as possible ooc. If there was more certainty a larger qty of teams would put up those gaudy ooc records like the p6 conferences then maybe u could take the other approach.

Reactions: spiderman
The 4 teams we play twice went 41-27 in the A-10 last year. Let's wait and see how they do before getting all bothered here. And, we don't play any of the bottom 5 teams from last year twice. Loyola and St.Louis at home, road games at Davidson and Dayton along with the VCU home and home should give us plenty of chances for solid wins. I actually like this schedule a lot. We will always play VCU home and home, and the other three teams we play should all be at least mid tier A-10 or better, but all very winnable games.
I would prefer Davidson to GW.
GW's A-10 wins last year - GMU, 2xURI, Fordham, UMass, LaSalle, 2xDuquesne

However it is only one game...
And trying to predict this year from last year?

I would prefer Davidson to GW.
GW's A-10 wins last year - GMU, 2xURI, Fordham, UMass, LaSalle, 2xDuquesne

However it is only one game...
And trying to predict this year from last year?
I hear you, and would also prefer that, but since every team can't just name and get whoever they want, I will take ours.

In general, it should help the good teams with their NET, but I'm not sure if in reality it has helped anyone. Also the issue with projecting good and bad teams in summer is fraught with error. Look at the preseason A-10 ranking every year and then compare it to what actually happens. Usually a lot of difference between the 2.

I still go back to we need to control what we can control, which is our OOC schedule. We can't control our A-10 pairings, so we really need to think long and hard about the right mix of teams to schedule in the OOC.

Meh

Don't like that we don't play Davidson 2x and instead STB. Other than that, I am not going to complain about playing teams close by 2x a year in conference even if they suck. We aren't favored to be in the top 4 on paper so the A10 doesn't have much incentive to schedule us with other big names. Take advantage of the fact we have a better chance of finishing higher in the conference because we don't have to run the gauntlet in whats expected to be a strong year for the conference. Take care of your own business and we won't be as dependent on what other teams do.

Most of the NCAAs our team has made it to have been from winning a conference tournament. This A10 schedule gives us a good chance on finishing in the top 4 and improves our chances of winning the A10 tournament.

Most of the NCAAs our team has made it to have been from winning a conference tournament. This A10 schedule gives us a good chance on finishing in the top 4 and improves our chances of winning the A10 tournament.

If you count the CAA, but not sure why u would because we moved to A10 conference to increase our bid chances. That was a clear institutional reasoning for move. It wasn't to try to go on improbable runs in a harder league tourney. & in our 4 A10 bids, I'd say 3 came without winning tourney. Only last year was different. Yes we won tourney in 2011 too but we were likely still in. The seed we got gives some pause but I think most felt we were in regardless. If you're already in & still win the A10 tourney it doesn't factor.

Can't see any way there is a 3rd game now that u can play 2 game MTEs and still schedule the 31 max. Especially bc our schedule is so light. If there was a 3rd "campus" game as part of Empire we all know it would be a terrible game. Have u seen our schedule...imagine adding another horrible 250+ net home game to that.
Same rule was in place last year and we had a third game. Hofstra played us and Maryland, while Detroit played Lousiville and Mississippi State. And Hofstra and Detroit played each other to round out their part of the MTE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT