ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

I think a combo of 5 Q1/Q2 games would be enough, as long as we get some good wins in there. I realize the argument might be play 7 of them and that gives you more chances for Q1/2 wins, but I just wouldn't want to risk almost playing yourself out of an at large before IC play starts. In 2020, we only went 1-2 against Q1/2 OOC, and I think we were in good shape for an at large at 24-7. So, 5 should be plenty, especially if we win 2 or 3 of them. Do that, go 9-4 or 10-3 OOC, then get some more Q1 and Q2 wins while going 13-5 (if 10-3) or 14-4 (If 9-4) IC, and we would be in great shape at 23-8 with more than enough Q1/2 wins. I just think we need to be very smart with our OOC schedule because we all know how hard it would be to get an at large with 10+ losses. Just look at the all the love for the Big Ten out there. The A-10 got 1 at large last year, the Big Ten got 8.
I’m not sure I agree with your point above, but that’s not why I’m disappointed in the schedule.

As a fan, coming out of an NCAA appearance, I was hoping to see a few more quality P5 opponents. These are the games I want to watch and gets me excited about the team. It’s also these games that the more casual fans will watch.

Besides the tournament at the Barclays, there’s not much quality / interesting storylines in this schedule so far. Hope Mooney has a couple of cards to play.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I feel like the higher-profile games (other than the MTEs) frequently come together late. Buy games are easy...offer up a check to whoever is willing. Home-and-homes are frequently already in place from prior seasons or at least have required some advance negotiation.

It's the one-off games against bigger names that are trickier...we don't want to just be a buy game for them (and they hesitate to pay for a potential loss), but they won't do home-and-homes and we try really hard to find some way to do a neutral site matchup. Not going to go back and look, but I feel like the NC State game was a late add, Utah State too.

So hopefully that means we're still working on some options.

yeah, I'm fine with where it is so far. yes we do need a couple more high end games. but all of the games better than 150 are good to me. losses hold us back more than SOS.

Reactions: VT4700
I feel like the higher-profile games (other than the MTEs) frequently come together late. Buy games are easy...offer up a check to whoever is willing. Home-and-homes are frequently already in place from prior seasons or at least have required some advance negotiation.

It's the one-off games against bigger names that are trickier...we don't want to just be a buy game for them (and they hesitate to pay for a potential loss), but they won't do home-and-homes and we try really hard to find some way to do a neutral site matchup. Not going to go back and look, but I feel like the NC State game was a late add, Utah State too.

So hopefully that means we're still working on some options.
Fair. It was raised earlier but the fact we don’t have a Wake forest or a team on the caliber as a regular on our schedule right now is disappointing. I used to love going to this game around the Christmas break every year.

I believe our official schedule gets released around Labor Day, so I don’t intend to be dramatic. But even the tournament we are playing in this year is underwhelming.

I’m not sure I agree with your point above, but that’s not why I’m disappointed in the schedule.

As a fan, coming out of an NCAA appearance, I was hoping to see a few more quality P5 opponents. These are the games I want to watch and gets me excited about the team. It’s also these games that the more casual fans will watch.

Besides the tournament at the Barclays, there’s not much quality / interesting storylines in this schedule so far. Hope Mooney has a couple of cards to play.
I see your point as a fan, but it's about scheduling smart. I think that is more important than giving fans an extra nice looking game or two.

I think a combo of 5 Q1/Q2 games would be enough, as long as we get some good wins in there. I realize the argument might be play 7 of them and that gives you more chances for Q1/2 wins, but I just wouldn't want to risk almost playing yourself out of an at large before IC play starts. In 2020, we only went 1-2 against Q1/2 OOC, and I think we were in good shape for an at large at 24-7. So, 5 should be plenty, especially if we win 2 or 3 of them. Do that, go 9-4 or 10-3 OOC, then get some more Q1 and Q2 wins while going 13-5 (if 10-3) or 14-4 (If 9-4) IC, and we would be in great shape at 23-8 with more than enough Q1/2 wins. I just think we need to be very smart with our OOC schedule because we all know how hard it would be to get an at large with 10+ losses. Just look at the all the love for the Big Ten out there. The A-10 got 1 at large last year, the Big Ten got 8.
I also feel Winning Percentage is important against Q1&Q2, with a minimum total of games vs those two.
But that includes Con and Non-Con, so what you expect to get in conference is a part of it.
And that expectation changes some year to year.
Evenly spread OOC against the 4 quads is a good starting point, but conference in general and each season plays into scheduling as well.

Reactions: VT4700
For as good as the player side of the offseason went, the opposite happened on the coaching side of the coin.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I look at this schedule in two ways, Chris thinks we may not be as good as we hope, or he thinks the A-10 will be very strong this year.
This is the type of “rebuilding schedule” I expected to see, but nonetheless is still disappointing. The conference schedule will be the better part, but as we know it could just be OK depending on which opportunities the Spiders are given. I don’t recall how the addition of Loyola Chicago changes the scheduling mix.

We still have 4 games to schedule. No need to be disappointed at this time. This could still be a pretty solid schedule.

Confirmation that VCU is ending their rivalry series with ODU. Nothing about our series with the Monarchs, but looks like that may be toast as well.

I went to the away ODU game back in Dec 2019 ... nice arena and loud fan base .. Gilly if I recall correctly talked a bit of trash in the 1st half to their high roller fans sitting courtside .. then, we almost found a way to lose it in the last minute but overall good experience.

I’m going with the A10 is going to be tough this season. I think anyone that disagrees with the A10 being strong isn’t paying attention.

Kenpom pays close attention and he has A10 predicted as 10th best conference next year.

That is where we have trended down as a conference recently into roughly the 10 spot. For a while we were more like #7. outliers up & down some years but A10 seemed to be in the #7 range on average for years. Would like to get that back but it may be Fool's Gold.

A10 definitely has potential to be stronger this year, and I hope it is. top heavy w 5-6 teams but typically a few of those top teams underperform by a good margin, Spiders have done it ourselves. So I would not bank on the A10 to carry our schedule, if that is part of our OOC strategy it is not a good one imo based on trends & predictive performance (kenpom). A few on here swear by kenpom.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Confirmation that VCU is ending their rivalry series with ODU. Nothing about our series with the Monarchs, but looks like that may be toast as well.

I don't get the argument that ODU is a bad game and will hurt VCU's NET, when they then turn around and schedule Morgan State and Northern Illinois.

no, article says buy games. is going on the road to ODU the issue?
I wouldn't be surprised if VCU wanted to change it to a buy game and ODU refused.
I wonder if we will go through the same process?

Kenpom pays close attention and he has A10 predicted as 10th best conference next year.

That is where we have trended down as a conference recently into roughly the 10 spot. For a while we were more like #7. outliers up & down some years but A10 seemed to be in the #7 range on average for years. Would like to get that back but it may be Fool's Gold.

A10 definitely has potential to be stronger this year, and I hope it is. top heavy w 5-6 teams but typically a few of those top teams underperform by a good margin, Spiders have done it ourselves. So I would not bank on the A10 to carry our schedule, if that is part of our OOC strategy it is not a good one imo based on trends & predictive performance (kenpom). A few on here swear by kenpom.
We are not a P5 conf. and I’m not a Ken Pom guy. But I can recognize talent. I personally do not care about being 10 toughest conf. To base it solely off that is short sided. This conf has talent, Dayton, VCU, St Louis, Davidson, Loyola, GM and UMass. I just believe this conf will be pretty solid 1-8ish and there will be some tough battles with some of the rebuilding teams simply bc the staff was upgraded.

no, article says buy games. is going on the road to ODU the issue?
I wouldn't be surprised if VCU wanted to change it to a buy game and ODU refused.
I wonder if we will go through the same process?

Agree w Mite. VCU would play it as a buy game. Road games can help w Net but they probably view ODU as too hard a road game because it is a rivalry game. And ODU's poorer numbers recently don't reflect that difficulty. Tho they've beaten ODU w some regularity here just like they do to us, so personally I think they should have kept the game.

We'd play W&M as a buy game too, but they have always required a H&H for us, no doubt ODU won't give vcu a buy game.

We are not a P5 conf. and I’m not a Ken Pom guy. But I can recognize talent. I personally do not care about being 10 toughest conf. To base it solely off that is short sided. This conf has talent, Dayton, VCU, St Louis, Davidson, Loyola, GM and UMass. I just believe this conf will be pretty solid 1-8ish and there will be some tough battles with some of the rebuilding teams simply bc the staff was upgraded.

Talent and tough battles r always there in A10, u could say that about any conference. The context was about scheduling. That we may be scheduling weaker bc the A10 will be tougher. The numbers - SOS, NET etc. r important & I never said anything about talent. Ken Pom btw would factor in talent essentially in tempo, and in player efficiency numbers. I think the A10 could be better this year too, but if we r relying on it for OOC scheduling that is what seems very short sighted to me.

I don't get the argument that ODU is a bad game and will hurt VCU's NET, when they then turn around and schedule Morgan State and Northern Illinois.
I was a little surprised at the number of buy games VCU plays. How many buy games do you think UR typically plays?

Usually we do one to three buy games I think. Last year we had NC Central and Georgia State for sure. I assumed Bucknell was one as well, but we're playing them again this year, so I'm not sure whether we're buying them two years in a row or we gave them a 2-for-1. VMI is a buy game this year, and FDU presumably is as well unless they're a campus game for the Empire Classic.

Buying lots of home games is what the big boys do. That way you're not giving home-and-homes to the likes of Hampton, South Alabama, and Oral Roberts as we have in recent years. VCU has had the rabid fan support to be able to do it, though that seems to be faltering.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Usually we do one to three buy games I think. Last year we had NC Central and Georgia State for sure. I assumed Bucknell was one as well, but we're playing them again this year, so I'm not sure whether we're buying them two years in a row or we gave them a 2-for-1. VMI is a buy game this year, and FDU presumably is as well unless they're a campus game for the Empire Classic.

Buying lots of home games is what the big boys do. That way you're not giving home-and-homes to the likes of Hampton, South Alabama, and Oral Roberts as we have in recent years. VCU has had the rabid fan support to be able to do it, though that seems to be faltering.

FDU is in Dec, after the Empire. If it was part of that MTE it would be b4 it. But didn't the rules change on MTEs. U can now play in a 2 game MTE and still play 31 reg season games. It eliminates some of these terrible on campus games required as part of MTE. I assume we don't have other games as part the Empire, that it's just a 2 game MTE. If not our schedule will get much worse.

Yes, you're right, it would have to be closer to the other Empire Classic games in order to be part of it. It wouldn't have to be before it, but all three games would have to be played within a 10-day window.

And yes, you can do 29 plus a 2-game MTE, though it seems like events are still leaning toward doing 3 games per team. But that's just the sense I get...haven't looked at it in detail.

Yes, you're right, it would have to be closer to the other Empire Classic games in order to be part of it. It wouldn't have to be before it, but all three games would have to be played within a 10-day window.

And yes, you can do 29 plus a 2-game MTE, though it seems like events are still leaning toward doing 3 games per team. But that's just the sense I get...haven't looked at it in detail.

The good 3 game MTEs are ideal. But I don't think we've ever played in a single site 3 game MTE, at least not under Mooney. Is that right SF?

Prior to the MTE rule revamp a few years ago, you needed to play four games in order to take full advantage of an MTE.

That 2017 Cayman Islands Classic had three games on-site, but the fourth game was us hosting Jax State, who embarrassingly destroyed us.

Reactions: GKiller
And in case there was any doubt, FDU's MTE is at Longwood. VMI will be there too.

my mortal lock prediction of W&M back on schedule came true.

Along w confirmation we have also dropped ODU or pausing it temporarily. While W&M is a home game I expect it's not a buy game but part of a series. W&M has not given us buy games in past.

Regardless it's a another horrible Q4 game.

W&M would be ok if we didn't have vmi bucknell FDU to go with them. But overall I really don't like what we're doing w the ooc scheduling. Too weak.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/teel-vcu-richmond-ending-series-versus-odu-a-reminder-that-few-college-rivalries-are-sacred/article_b3046f45-62d7-5e48-b4dd-b41d815f978e.html?utm_source=richmond.com&utm_campaign=/newsletter-templates/breaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=a37b05e40ea8e48d53a66330954255e43024ce27

Interesting, Mooney seems open to getting ODU back on the schedule in the future.

And agreed...Bucknell, W&M, and FDU is a trifecta of some of the worst teams in the country. Do not like. W&M had better not be a home-and-home arrangement.

Edit: Rumor was that the ODU move might be an A-10 directive, with both VCU and UR dumping them, but Teel says it doesn't appear to be case. A-10 spokesperson also claims it's not true.

Last edited:
Have we ever had a "rivalry" with ODU in anything? Dead serious. This is a ho-hum for me.

Just so SF won't get bored, I wonder what are the 10 teams (or so) we played the most in basketball from 1976-1977 to 2000-2001?

Without looking, I would guess W&M, VCU/ODU, JMU/GMU would be in that group...

VMI? Wake? Navy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT