ADVERTISEMENT

2022–23 Schedule Updates

ODU, JMU and others have devalued hoops in favor of the almighty bowl game dollar. Which doesn’t make sense, because JMU just built a nice new arena for hoops and the Ted is a decent basketball arena.

We’re not going to play the school of Nancy Lieberman. A school that I watched us play us in the old arena, in the late 60’s.
A state school, where there is always a lot of whining on here about not playing all of the State schools.
A team that always draws well when they play at Robins.
That school?

guess that's the going rate for a buy game. seems like a lot though. what do you think our net income for a game like this is?

ODU does nothing for me. They're irrelevant, and whether we ever play them again or not, I don't care. We have nothing in common with them, I hate that part of the state and have no desire to really drive over there to see us play, the school is a glorified commuter school, and they play in a league no one cares about.
I would say the same thing and more about William and Mary. Long time rival, but we are on different planets in the world of college basketball. Time to move on. If either of these schools start winning in the court again, than sure but until then these games do nothing for us, other than maybe put a couple hundred extra fans in the seat for that game.

Reactions: WCUR11
ODU, JMU and others have devalued hoops in favor of the almighty bowl game dollar. Which doesn’t make sense, because JMU just built a nice new arena for hoops and the Ted is a decent basketball arena.

Just paying more to lose more when they move up a level. Big boys are never gonna let them play ball in their league so to me its useless to chase that FBS money. ODU should of just gone independent in FBS football and join the A10 for all sports years ago and likely would of found themselves as a more attractive option during expansion. JMU has no market and no basketball program to speak of. They had to pull the FBS trigger sooner or later but they will find its not all its cracked up to be when you're not having double digit win seasons. As good as they are in most sports, JMU isn't going to be in any more desirable conference than they are currently in so long as their basketball program is trash.

JMU's basketball arena is pretty legit, I have to give them credit there. Night and day from the old one. We'll see if they put an added emphasis on that sport now that they have some sweet digs.

Reactions: urfan1
Toledo doing a good job lining up multi-year deals with similar teams.

ODU does nothing for me. They're irrelevant, and whether we ever play them again or not, I don't care. We have nothing in common with them, I hate that part of the state and have no desire to really drive over there to see us play, the school is a glorified commuter school, and they play in a league no one cares about.
That’s the way I feel about most of the A-10. Glorified commuter schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Their NEC Rookie of the Year Anquan Hill just transferred to Bona today. Seven other guys have also transferred out as they change coaches.

Reactions: plydogg
Does positioning within a Quad matter for NET ranking (ie playing a medium or high Q4 vs a bottom Q4)?

Does positioning within a Quad matter for NET ranking (ie playing a medium or high Q4 vs a bottom Q4)?
NET doesn’t directly use the quad system in its own calculations as far as I know. Only time the quads are used is to simplify understanding a schedule for humans.

what this means is that NET doesn’t care if you lost to the worst quad 3 or the best quad 4, that loss will essentially have the same impact on your NET everything else being equal. The committee probably cares though.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Gipe? Has been doubted as a recruiter, maybe scheduling is his niche. ;)

Of course, none of of us know squat, just speculating. What else is a message board for in the off season?

Sometimes I wish you weren’t so good at bringing these things to our attention. SLU has a loaded home schedule and so far UR has FDU. Maybe the next question to be debated is whether we need an assistant coach that is good at scheduling…..
Hey, we're also hosting UNI and should be hosting Drake.

And VMI.

JOC with a schedule note at the end of today's piece recapping our end-of-season run. New games are hosting Bucknell again and at Charleston. No mention of our VMI game, oddly.

UR at home next season will play Bucknell, Drake, Northern Iowa and Fairleigh Dickinson. On the road, Charleston and Toledo. UR will play along with Syracuse, St. John's and Temple (first-round match-ups TBD) in the Empire Classic Nov. 21-22 at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, where next season's A-10 tournament will be held.

Reactions: plydogg
JOC with a schedule note at the end of today's piece recapping our end-of-season run. New games are hosting Bucknell again and at Charleston. No mention of our VMI game, oddly.

Hope the Charleston game is on a weekend - good excuse for a trip to one of my favorite cities ..

Kind of a blah schedule to date. Not very exciting. Too many bad quad4’s. Only 3 or 4 left & could still see 1 of either W&M or ODU on it. Hope we pick it up with what’s remaining.

Kind of a blah schedule to date. Not very exciting. Too many bad quad4’s. Only 3 or 4 left & could still see 1 of either W&M or ODU on it. Hope we pick it up with what’s remaining.
just Bucknell and FDU, no?
the rest looks good.

FDU and Bucknell are putrid. VMI will probably be terrible as well after the coaching change and everybody transferring out.

Drake should be very solid, probably Toledo. Can usually count on UNI being good (except for the COVID year we played them) but no more Green. Charleston likely to be middling at best.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
I assume we would want 3xQ1, 4xQ2, 3xQ3, 3xQ4 if we want a reasonable path to an At-Large.

I wonder what last year's NET of those opponents would look like as Quads?

Even though we know each season is different...

The rest of our games had better be awfully good if we're going to reach that goal. We'll only play two of the three starred teams and I'm assuming St. John's would count as neutral. If by some chance it counts as a road game for us, they would be Q1, but I don't think that's the case.

Q2:
*64. St. John's (N)
*83. Syracuse (N)
86. Toledo (A)

Q3:
85. Drake (H)
98. UNI (H)
*111. Temple (N)
144. Charleston (A)

Q4:
175. VMI (H)
334. Bucknell (H)
349. FDU (H)

The rest of our games had better be awfully good if we're going to reach that goal. We'll only play two of the three starred teams and I'm assuming St. John's would count as neutral. If by some chance it counts as a road game for us, they would be Q1, but I don't think that's the case.

Q2:
*64. St. John's (N)
*83. Syracuse (N)
86. Toledo (A)

Q3:
85. Drake (H)
98. UNI (H)
*111. Temple (N)
144. Charleston (A)

Q4:
175. VMI (H)
334. Bucknell (H)
349. FDU (H)
Maybe mooney knows something about this team that we don’t. He’s scheduling like he doesn’t expect much.

Reactions: wr70beh

Q2:
*64. St. John's (N)
*83. Syracuse (N)
86. Toledo (A)

Q3:
85. Drake (H)
98. UNI (H)
*111. Temple (N)
144. Charleston (A)

Q4:
175. VMI (H)
334. Bucknell (H)
349. FDU (H)
Bucknell and FDU looking fairly bad. Can’t get much lower than those.

I don’t know, but I would bet that it is hard for us to get OOC games. The Power conference teams
don’t want to have to play us, if they don’t have to; and the mid-majors may get more money elsewhere.
What happened to Wake? We played Kentucky and Maryland, but neither of those programs want to play
us. We used to go out west and play teams.
I just think we’re in a limbo situation with ooc games.

I assume we would want 3xQ1, 4xQ2, 3xQ3, 3xQ4 if we want a reasonable path to an At-Large.

I wonder what last year's NET of those opponents would look like as Quads?

Even though we know each season is different...
I think a combo of 5 Q1/Q2 games would be enough, as long as we get some good wins in there. I realize the argument might be play 7 of them and that gives you more chances for Q1/2 wins, but I just wouldn't want to risk almost playing yourself out of an at large before IC play starts. In 2020, we only went 1-2 against Q1/2 OOC, and I think we were in good shape for an at large at 24-7. So, 5 should be plenty, especially if we win 2 or 3 of them. Do that, go 9-4 or 10-3 OOC, then get some more Q1 and Q2 wins while going 13-5 (if 10-3) or 14-4 (If 9-4) IC, and we would be in great shape at 23-8 with more than enough Q1/2 wins. I just think we need to be very smart with our OOC schedule because we all know how hard it would be to get an at large with 10+ losses. Just look at the all the love for the Big Ten out there. The A-10 got 1 at large last year, the Big Ten got 8.

Q2:
*64. St. John's (N)
*83. Syracuse (N)
86. Toledo (A)

Q3:
85. Drake (H)
98. UNI (H)
*111. Temple (N)
144. Charleston (A)

Q4:
175. VMI (H)
334. Bucknell (H)
349. FDU (H)
Looking at this breakdown, I don't think all of our remaining games need to be strong. We still have 4 games to schedule. Let's see what those look like before worrying too much. I think all we need to do is add a neutral Q1/2 type game like we did with NC St last year, maybe find a Q1 road game if we can, and have the other 2 be Q2 or Q3. We just want to survive the OOC schedule with a couple Q1/2 wins, avoid bad losses, and not play a lot of 250+ teams so we can keep the OOC schedule number good. That will put us in good shape going into A-10 play, which I think, as I usually do, is more important than our OOC record. We will have plenty of chances for good wins IC. We win enough of those, finish with a good record ( this is where I usually say 14-4, but maybe even 13-5 if the A-10 is good enough), and that should keep us in good shape ahead of other A-10 at large hopefuls.

Reactions: spiderman
Gipe? Has been doubted as a recruiter, maybe scheduling is his niche. ;)

Of course, none of of us know squat, just speculating. What else is a message board for in the off season?
From UR's website:

Gipe was promoted to assistant coach in April 2022 following six seasons on the Richmond staff. At 28, Gipe became the second-youngest assistant coach in the Atlantic 10. In addition to focusing on recruiting, scouting, and player development, Gipe directs the team's non-conference scheduling process

Hopefully his recruiting prowess is better than his non-conference scheduling prowess.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT