ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 Schedule News

I agree we should have the attitude and approach that we'll play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Except we should not play a game in DC right before Christmas.

I also agree that it's probably incredibly difficult to get good teams to answer the phone when we say, "we have probably the most experienced team in the history of CBB, and we'd like to play you in November or December." So it's not like just snapping fingers and games appear.

We may need to play as many of the Buffalos, Drakes, Loyola Chi, and St. Mary's of the world as possible to bump up the NET.

The "getaway" game!! Maybe not refer to it like that and the players will react accordingly. Tho actually we went 1-1 in those DC games, of course the radford loss was important and then last year we lost to Hofstra at home in the getaway game. So I think it's the date less than venue. Granted I went to both DC games so I kinda like the venue. Terrible location. You'd go there and think u r lost. but hopefully it helps that area. Plus Anacostia is hot its coming back. Right on the water. That arena is not Anacostia but very close, & not far from national harbor.

I'm sure I've told this story so bear w the redundancy but I'd say I was one of 5-10 U of R fans not related or connected to the players at the 1st game high point. HPU had more fans and the game was in DC. But great empty arena for saying whatever u want. At the Radford game there were more but still low. Got tix front row had a bar area right behind me. That was great. Real fan Matt Smith was sitting close. did not converse. Tho I'd say I'm the realer fan bc I paid for my tickets he probably got his comped. All good I'm not above the comped hook up if it comes.

Besides "getaway" I call that one the Jeb Bush game. Low energy.

EL,
If I told you we were playing Wake, NC St, No. Iowa, ODU, JMU, and Northeastern OOC this year, and all we had to do was go 1-5 or maybe 2-4 against them to get an at large, would you take that, or would try to change the schedule?
I would ask what happened to the other 30-something teams that normally occupy at-large spots, because going 2-4 against that crew would not get us a bid.

My whole point is only that the more obviously bad games we schedule, the greater the likelihood we will lose one. If we played Gonzaga 10 times and beat them once, it would be a better schedule and better resume than going 9-1 against a bunch of sub-200 teams.

I realize you can't predict everything, and some teams were think will be good won't, and vice versa. But W&M and teams like that really can only hurt us.

Reactions: plydogg
Uh. Yes, I agree and that is pretty much what I said. I said 2 Q1s, 3 or 4 Q2s, 3 or 4 Q3s, and 3 or more Q4s is what we should shoot for. But, then you replied and said 6-8 Q3/Q4 games is too many. Glad you are coming around a little here and don't expect a super tough schedule. If we played as little as 5 Q3/Q4 games, we would have one of the toughest schedules in the country. I don't care what experience we have returning, and how good we might be, that would not be smart scheduling for a mid major.
I can’t believe this is even a debate. You want up to 8 games in Q3/Q4? That makes it almost required you win one or both of those Q1 games, where you’re giving us two shots, and then hoping we don’t lose any of those low end games.

And again, what’re you saying, that this crew can’t handle a couple more tough games? I mean come on. I’m not getting excited about the chances that #293 College of Charleston is going to wow anybody. I doubt the team is either.

I think that's exactly what some are asking for. and it would be fun. and maybe it would work. but we could lose our way out of the tournament in December too.
Who’s asking for that? I explicitly said we don’t have to do that. I don’t see anyone else asking for an unreasonably hard schedule. But can we please agree that this team is capable of more than some Q3/4 loaded schedule.

Who’s asking for that? I explicitly said we don’t have to do that. I don’t see anyone else asking for an unreasonably hard schedule. But can we please agree that this team is capable of more than some Q3/4 loaded schedule.
? 97 literally quoted Temple's "play anyone, anywhere", and his post got multiple likes.

Reactions: VT4700
? 97 literally quoted Temple's "play anyone, anywhere", and his post got multiple likes.
Noted, saw that after I posted.

My opinion, not many people are asking for a toploaded schedule. Just make it reasonably good mix of Q2/3 games, and give ourselves at least a few chances at marquis wins.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli

My opinion, not many people are asking for a toploaded schedule. Just make it reasonably good mix of Q2/3 games, and give ourselves at least a few chances at marquis wins.
I'm all for that. I think it's too early to complain about a percentage of the schedule.

Reactions: VT4700

And, I agree with this, and keep agreeing with this, yet you keep replying to my posts as if my opinion is dramatically different than what you are saying.

And, I agree with this, and keep agreeing with this, yet you keep replying to my posts as if my opinion is dramatically different than what you are saying.
Your original post had us taking up to 8 games in Q3/4. We can’t take that many games in those quadrants. If that’s not what you meant then fine, just reacting to what you posted.

I can’t believe this is even a debate. You want up to 8 games in Q3/Q4? That makes it almost required you win one or both of those Q1 games, where you’re giving us two shots, and then hoping we don’t lose any of those low end games.

And again, what’re you saying, that this crew can’t handle a couple more tough games? I mean come on. I’m not getting excited about the chances that #293 College of Charleston is going to wow anybody. I doubt the team is either.
In 2018-19, VCU played 8 Q3/Q4 games at home, went 7-1 against them losing to 107 NET Charleston, split their Q2 neutral games, lost at 100 NET ODU, lost to UVA and beat 38 NET Texas to go 9-4 OOC. This smart scheduling gave them the #2 OOC schedule, allowed them losses to 100 ODU and 107 Charleston, while only going 1-1 against Q1 and 2-3 against Q2, and put them in great shape for a bid going into conference play.

Some mid majors that year with good nets:
Buffalo, 15 Net, 1-1 Q1, 3-0 Q2, 2-1 Q3, 5-0 Q4. 6 seed
Cincinnati: 25 NET, 1-1 Q1, 1-1 Q2, 4-0 Q3, 5-0 Q4. 7 seed.
Utah St: 29 Net, 2-1 Q1, 0-2 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 5-0 Q4. 8 seed.
UCF: 30 Net, 0-0, 1-1, 5-0, 4-1. 9 seed.
St Mary's: 32 Net, 1-3, 0-2, 3-1, 5-0. 11 seed.
VCU: 34 Net, 1-1, 1-2, 3-1, 4-0. 8 seed.
New Mex St: 40 Net, 0-1, 0-1, 2-1, 8-0. 12 seed.
Furman: 41 Net, 1-1, 1-0, 0-0, 6-0.
Murray St: 44 Net, 0-2, 0-0, 2-0, 5-0. 12 seed.
Memphis: 46 Net, 0-3, 0-1, 3-1, 5-0.
Temple: 56 Net, 0-2, 2-0, 3-1, 5-0. 11 seed.

Notice the number of Q3s and Q4s. As I said earlier, a schedule with only 5 Q3s/Q4s would be one of the toughest in the country. It would very much be "top loaded" (which you said you were not asking for) with 8 Q1/Q2 games. If I am an AD who is trying to get a team in the dance, I would schedule smart, not extra tough. My 2 Q1, and 3 or 4 of every other quad strategy would give us at least a tough or tougher schedule than nearly everyone listed above. No reason to go harder than that.

Last edited:
Your original post had us taking up to 8 games in Q3/4. We can’t take that many games in those quadrants. If that’s not what you meant then fine, just reacting to what you posted.
Actually, we can, and still do all the things you are asking for. Once again, using the 2 Q1 and 3 or 4 of every other quad strategy, will accomplish your goal of a few chances at marquis wins and give us a good mix of Q2/Q3 games. You earlier said you hoped for 8 Q2/Q3 games, and that is not far from I said, and with 2 Q1s, this would lead to 7 or 8 Q3/Q4 games. And, if you schedule smart with a lot sub 160ish NET games, and avoid having multiple 250+ games, you can end with a good looking SOS as well. It looks like we agree here for the most part, but you just can't seem to accept or agree that you can still play a good OOC schedule and put yourself in position to make the dance even if you have 7 or 8 Q3/Q4 games, even though what you are asking for would lead to just that, and history obviously shows you can and most teams out there play at least that many.

Last edited:
Look, like I have always wanted as mentioned was a John Cheney type schedule. Win or lose you get so much national exposure from doing so. Done with concerns with strong/weak OOC schedule. Win every game you're the fav and lose every game as a dog. No surprises and if 8-5 or 11-2 so be it. Conference my priority and no subjective reasoning behind getting that NCAA bid. Love numbers but my head is spinning these days.

Off the top of my head feel St Bonny has to be the fav to win regular season? Haven't looked into other teams. Finish second alone behind them and make it to the finals and lose to Bonny. Seriously I can't believe anyone with this Mooney talented, experienced group doesn't expect that finally to be a reality. Mooney literally has a rookie seasoned pro team to guide. Would most posters here think a second place for both the A10 regular season + tournament puts the Spiders in tourney? I believe so.

And would I be out of line to say if no NCAA bid, this year would be the perfect year to ask Mooney to go. So many players lost and a fresh strategy from a different source for the completely new group. Of course PQ and money might have something to say about that.

Buffalo, 15 Net, 1-1 Q1, 3-0 Q2, 2-1 Q3, 5-0 Q4. 6 seed
Wow, you really can't stop yourself from making stuff up to push the company narrative.
Buffalo didn't play 8 Q3/Q4 games, and they didn't lose any.
They got that NET from going 31-3, and going 11-1 OOC (including 4-1 Q1/Q2). Their OOC SOS was outside the top 100.

That's the point many are trying to make - limit us to 5 quality games OOC, we have to go 4-1, 3-2 at worst.

UCF indeed only played 2 Q2 games that year. But they were in the AAC, and that afforded them fifteen Q1/Q2 games that year (13 in conference). They finished with a winning record in those quality games.

VCU we've already beat to death, (except of course on the court) but again Wichita State wound up in Quad 2 when the season was over. All of the Quad 3 and Quad 4 home games they had were "high" in the quad and would have moved up had they been road games. We already have 3 teams on our schedule that project lower than the worst team VCU played in 2019. And Rhoades wasn't out on some rehabilitation tour before that season proclaiming how great his team was.

Mooney said this team should be "great." We should schedule where we set the bar.

I'm all for that. I think it's too early to complain about a percentage of the schedule.
In the two full seasons under the NET/Quad system, we have scheduled a grand total of four Quad 1 and Quad 2 games, combined. Over two years. Two of them were from a tournament.

It may be early, but our track record is surely cause for concern. Four quality games over two seasons? Who does that?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Off the top of my head feel St Bonny has to be the fav to win regular season? Haven't looked into other teams. Finish second alone behind them and make it to the finals and lose to Bonny.

Bona is the clear A-10 favorite. They're us from last year...highly experienced team popping up in many preseason top 25s. I expect they won't finish 8th in the A-10 like we did though.

Feels like a three-team battle for that #2 spot in the expectations: us, VCU, and SLU.

VCU obviously got the job done last year (as they do most years) despite low expectations. Bones is a huge loss, but they have other pieces and just keep bringing in highly rated guys. If they mesh, they'll be dangerous again.

Perkins is back for an extra year at SLU, but French and Goodwin are gone. Still expect them to be right there.

We'll be penalized for our finish last year with this same group. The question is whether it was a COVID anomaly, because it still looks like this group ought to be great.

Dayton and Rhode Island could also contend. Dayton has of course been pulling in incredible recruits, but with Crutcher and Chatman gone they'll be very young. Believe Watson still hasn't said whether he's coming back or not.

Rhode Island losing Fatts obviously, though you'll get mixed feelings here on how big of a blow that is. Sheppard is coming back, but it's always hard to tell with them. On paper, they've got some guys thanks to all the transfers to rebuild last year, but they need to put it all together.

My question is why are you all treating this season like any old season. The whole 2 Quad 1, 2 Quad 2, 8 Quad 3 and 4 scenario should be our OOC goal every season. That is how we should challenge our team and get exposure for our program every year. Play a couple big boys, a couple really good mid majors, and then some lower conference opponents.

However, with what we have returning, why would be advocating for that? We literally have a once in a generation team in terms of depth, experience, and talent returning and some of you are advocating that we try and thread the needle with an your typical OOC schedule.

I'll tell you the reason is because while you puff you chest about everything Mooney does is awesome, internally, you know its Mooney and he is going to **** something up.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
There is no doubt that UR has had trouble making a quality schedule. They even “hired” an expert (St Joe’s Joe) to assist.

I am sure that Jenkins departure plus the “surprise” return of all the 5/6 yr players has further complicated things. The plan probably was the classic “rebuild” schedule and now it is suddenly the need for the “best available teams”. We all know how that worked out last year.

It definitely is a big deal because I don’t see how this most experienced team ever is going to be able to focus with a bunch of Q3/Q4 teams on the non-conference schedule.

good point. most of us voted that we expected none of the seniors to come back. the confirmed teams on the schedule so far might reflect that.

you do need home games but big teams don't come to mid major arenas often. neutral site tournaments offer our best shot at getting big games, and those tournaments seem filled up. we'll have to go on the road, but even those won't be easy to get. Calipari said (before we beat him) that he scheduled stupidly. he joked that his boosters wanted a tough schedule and now they're going to pay the price for it. his team was too young to play experienced teams.

as for focus, I can't imagine that being a problem. these guys put off life for a year with one goal in mind. shouldn't matter who they're playing. this is why they're here.

I can't understand why we're always so late in getting on board with neutral-site events. So far 6 of 14 A-10 teams have been announced for next year, so we're not super late yet, but it's an ongoing theme where even middling A-10 teams are lining up their stuff well in advance while we always seem to be last-minute. VCU, Bona, Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, and St. Joe's have all been revealed for next year.

I can't understand why we're always so late in getting on board with neutral-site events. So far 6 of 14 A-10 teams have been announced for next year, so we're not super late yet, but it's an ongoing theme where even middling A-10 teams are lining up their stuff well in advance while we always seem to be last-minute. VCU, Bona, Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, and St. Joe's have all been revealed for next year.
It's how our program does business. We are a day late, a dollar short, on most everything we do. Successful programs, like VCU, already have their neutral site, have already announced ticket plans for next year, have their coach in front of the media during the offseason

Reactions: SpiderK
It's how our program does business. We are a day late, a dollar short, on most everything we do. Successful programs, like VCU, already have their neutral site, have already announced ticket plans for next year, have their coach in front of the media during the offseason

seriously, look at the participants in some of those tournaments that other A10 teams are in. VCU could lose every game of theirs and still probably come out looking better rankings/metrics wise than whatever we plug in the schedule

My impression is that getting into good MTEs is probably highly dependent on some combination of your ability to market yourself to the organizers along with networking in to them. I don’t think we’ve demonstrated we are terribly good at either, probably in part because our coaching staff is not terribly experienced and comes from one family tree for the most part. Maybe that’s where Lunardi would actually help.

Reactions: plydogg
in reality the only benefit we have gained from Lunardi is he seems to always mention us as his "Last Four In" or "First Four Out" which keeps us in the general college basketball pubic eye for far longer than we deserve.

pubic eye gave me a good laugh, that was one of the funnier typos I’ve seen here. Totally agree with you here though

sarcastic-yay-awesome-supernatural-dean.gif

Rothstein and Goodman are both clowns, but in defense of Rothstein, his tweet did say "mid-major," while Goodman cited a "low-major" AD as an apparent denunciation of Rothstein's info.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Not sure what Goodman is trying to prove. Of course low majors will take 90k for a game. That had nothing to do with what Rothstein said. Why copy a tweet about mid majors and then quote an AD from low majors? That's a bad job of reporting on his part.

Reactions: Eight Legger
If the players are committed to the coach and the coach is committed to them, they will stay. Not like the players here or at VCU are busting down the door to transfer to another school. Now if you are at a sh!tholes like UMASS or Duquesne, it might be a different story.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT