ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Non-Conf Schedule

I'd sign up for Dayton too. They were 34 non conf SOS. They did have a good 3 game MTE that kills us regularly. But they had 7 games better than our 3rd best OOC game (and 2nd win)...which was miserable Vandy. UD had Kansas, Va tech, Georgia, Colorado, St. Mary's and two other solid mids in Indiana St. and North Texas.

We have long way to go. Last year too weak and we needed an elite W/L, 2nd in A10, marquee Wisc outperforming expectations & while we were IN it was still the bubble. A Davidson loss in quarters would have petrified us. I think we're trending better this year, but that is factoring we actually add a couple more good games which is highly presumptuous given the Lunardi blueprint.

We should be targeting a top 50ish non conf sos, it's the only way to our highest seed ever.
I would change that slightly. Vandy was our 4th. Wiscy, Bama, and Auburn were Top 3.
And the two solid mids for UD were at home so Quad 3.
Still, I would certainly use the UD OOC as a blueprint.

I would change that slightly. Vandy was our 4th. Wiscy, Bama, and Auburn were Top 3.
And the two solid mids for UD were at home so Quad 3.
Still, I would certainly use the UD OOC as a blueprint.

Sorry my bad 4th hardest, 2nd best win.

If reasonable to think committee breaks down the quads further like SF is doing like 2a etc. those quad 3s for UD were good while our Vandy was close to bottom. Idk if they do it but certainly there is a difference btw beating a 161 team vs 350+ team at home, for instance.

Regardless of quad the better the NET of teams u beat helps your underlying #s such as SOS.

Mooney is being very careful of how he describes the schedule making this year - no more toughest in A10 type talk & he reads the boards - but this would be the year to do it.

Last edited:
Sorry my bad 4th hardest, 2nd best win.

If reasonable to think committee breaks down the quads further like SF is doing like 2a etc. those quad 3s for UD were good while our Vandy was close to bottom. Idk if they do it but certainly there is a difference btw beating a 161 team vs 350+ team at home, for instance.

Regardless of quad the better the NET of teams u beat helps your underlying #s such as SOS.

Mooney is being very careful of how he describes the schedule making this year - no more toughest in A10 type talk & he reads the boards - but this would be the year to do it.
The way I view it (without any basis to substantiate how the committee views it) is:
Quad 3&4 are all of negligible value as a positive and mainly ignored (except for your total record) unless you lose, which becomes a significant negative.
Then I look for having the minimum required games against Quad 1&2 (much easier in P6)
Then I look at the winning percentage against those Quads
Further breaking those Quads down into Top & Bottom half (like is done on the team sheet given to the committee)
So you have record vs Quad 1&2 combined, Quad 1, Quad 2, and finally half Quads 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B
The one additional item I look at is your record in Road/Neutral games combined

I am not sure how much better beating a NET 94 at home is than beating a NET 142.
Other than it improving your own NET (not your resume), and giving your opponent a better chance to improve their own NET (which would improve your resume).

Looks like our rumored MSG event isn't the Jimmy V Classic, not that anyone should have expected that, but figured I'd mention it as official elimination of the possibility.

Reactions: plydogg
Looks like our rumored MSG event isn't the Jimmy V Classic, not that anyone should have expected that, but figured I'd mention it as official elimination of the possibility.

Maybe they got that wrong and it is was another #15 RU? :):p

Last edited:
Man it’s too bad we don’t get Cincy at home first with this team we’ll have!

Boom. Likely Q1 game with it on the road.

Home
Dec. 2: Northern Iowa - 48 (Q2a)
ODU - 173 (Q4)
Nov. 13: Hartford (Bluegrass Showcase) - 246 (Q4)
Nov. 15: Detroit Mercy (Bluegrass Showcase) - 307 (Q4)

Away
Nov. 23: Kentucky (Bluegrass Showcase) - 21 (Q1a)
Dec. 22?: Cincinnati - 51 (Q1b)
Dec. 5: Colorado State - 106 (Q2b)
Vanderbilt - 142 (Q3)
Charleston - 152 (Q3)

Last edited:

Hey Villanova UVA 12/19 at MSG. Maybe we can be the undercard. Or the overcard. Like we were vs. Manhattan in 2003, we played after Duke & Texas game, then MSG cleared out, and u basically sat courtside. We'd expect & need a much stronger game tho.

We need to get Spiderdogg back on this msg rumor. The schedule is working out - UK and UC on road r great but also more difficult - your bread is still buttered in getting neutral site chances. We have a team that can win big games on road and obv if you win those it's ultimately better however it would still be really odd and a mistake imo if we don't have neutral shot too.

Boom. Likely Q1 game with it on the road.

Home
Dec. 2: Northern Iowa - 48 (Q2a)
ODU - 173 (Q4)
Nov. 13: Hartford (Bluegrass Showcase) - 246 (Q4)
Nov. 15: Detroit Mercy (Bluegrass Showcase) - 307 (Q4)

Away
Nov. 23: Kentucky (Bluegrass Showcase) - 21 (Q1a)
Cincinnati - 51 (Q1b)
Dec. 5: Colorado State - 106 (Q2b)
Vanderbilt - 142 (Q3)
Charleston - 152 (Q3)

Cincy game tentatively 12/22. U let Rothstein beat u by 20 mins on the game scoop but good job here Noah. Keep at it I like your work, just stay away from the predictions. 5th place A10 as Spiders ceiling last season. lol can't forget that.

Reactions: urfan1
Well done! Great looking schedule. All 5 road games are good ones. With 2 games left, I would try to add a home game and a neutral site game.

Well done! Great looking schedule. All 5 road games are good ones. With 2 games left, I would try to add a home game and a neutral site game.

4 games left. Or are u anticipating A10 will move to 20 games?

4 games left. Or are u anticipating A10 will move to 20 games?

Yes, maybe 4 games left. I was thinking 20 game A-10, but nothing has been decided there. I think 11 OOC is plenty, and it would make sense to play 20 conference games. Hope they do.

I am going to give a shout out to Marcus Jenkins here. He is putting together a really solid schedule for us. A home and home with Cincinnati is a huge get. It seems to be obvious that our coaching staff sees the possibilities for next season and is setting up a challenging schedule to put us in a good position schedule wise for at large consideration.

Dayton's doing fine. They've got Mississippi State in Holiday Hoopsgiving in Atlanta, @Nevada in the MWC challenge, and hosting SMU. Myrtle Beach invite isn't the greatest field, but some decent teams in there like Mizzou and Utah State.

Dayton's doing fine. They've got Mississippi State in Holiday Hoopsgiving in Atlanta, @Nevada in the MWC challenge, and hosting SMU. Myrtle Beach invite isn't the greatest field, but some decent teams in there like Mizzou and Utah State.
Not in Dayton fans opinion. But yes, I think their schedule is not the dumpster fire their fans think it is. They did just announce the SMU game, which I think will cool their jets a bit. I think they also have Ole Miss on their schedule.

At Kentucky and at Cincinnati are both better games than anything on their schedule though. They've got what is shaping up to be a whole bunch of Quad 2 type games.

We need to finish out our schedule with a couple solid Quad 2 games (and no for the record, Vandy is not something we should point to other than a game we can't lose) and they probably need to add a signature game to theirs.

I am going to give a shout out to Marcus Jenkins here. He is putting together a really solid schedule for us. A home and home with Cincinnati is a huge get. It seems to be obvious that our coaching staff sees the possibilities for next season and is setting up a challenging schedule to put us in a good position schedule wise for at large consideration.

Brannen the Cincy coach was a VCU assistant for 3 years under Grant. Props to Jenkins tho Moon may have a relationship there, and certainly a lot more goes into it to close these deals.

Also watching Dayton fans complain on Twitter about Dayton's lack of a good OOC schedule and continually referencing our schedule is nice to see.

Man Dayton has one great year and all of a sudden they think they’re Gonzaga

They also will play Ole Miss at a neutral site event in Chicago. Looks like a pretty good schedule.

Hope the neutral site game comes through and is a good one...maybe it's the rumored MSG game?

Hope the neutral site game comes through and is a good one...maybe it's the rumored MSG game?

Mooney alluded to it during bob black interview (link in Bailey thread), they r trying to secure neutral but that it's hard and thru third parties (like his agent Rick Giles!) and needs to be strong enough team too. But hopefully he's just playing cards close to vest and they're actually lot closer on it esp given previous msg rumor. It didn't sound like any more true road games given we have 5 which is a good amount. 7 home, 5 road, 1 neutral I'll take it. I hope we can get 1 more solid home game though out of the 3. What was odd was mooney was acting like 2 remain, not 4, and w A10 staying at 18 there are 4 games out there. But possible two games are low major regional games already set but not announced. Your VMI, longwood etc. They tend to hold those back from public consumption. May be time to get W&M or JMU back on schedule but those teams won't do a buy game with us.

It would be fun if we scheduled Butler this year. Golden vs. Golden. If it was late in the OOC schedule and both teams are doing well (possibly both ranked) it could definitely be an easy one to sell to the public and have on ESPN (normal espn not espn3)

It would be fun if we scheduled Butler this year. Golden vs. Golden. If it was late in the OOC schedule and both teams are doing well (possibly both ranked) it could definitely be an easy one to sell to the public and have on ESPN (normal espn not espn3)

Butler was my prediction for the possible neutral site game. Probably wishful thinking but would be fun.

Just realized...
How can we be in Cindy 12/22? Aren’t we already scheduled to be In Anacostia 12/22? ;););)

Last edited:
what i really want with this last game is a shot at UVA. close school so dont have to travel much and would garner a good amount of attention.

Reactions: SpiderK
what i really want with this last game is a shot at UVA. close school so dont have to travel much and would garner a good amount of attention.
But who are you taking in coaching match-up of Mooney vs. Bennett. UVA is such a tough out, we would undoubtedly be playing there. I get the fact that they are local and all, but see this as an "L" for us, so I would avoid it.

Here's another A10 team getting into one of the better MTE's for 2021. I don't know how we can't hit on just 1 of these - the good 8 team MTE's all at neutral site - in the entire Mooney era.

Auburn, Wis, Ala are a wash with Ky, Cin and Colo State and the A-10 is going to be weaker- Still a bubble schedule
Don't forget Northern Iowa...that's a better Alabama comparison than Colorado State. Panthers should be really good next year.

We only had a total of three Q1/Q2 OOC games this year. We're shaping up to have four already if Colorado State can hold it together, so hopefully we've got one more good one yet to come, and that'll make for a solid OOC schedule.

Not sure what to think of A-10. Dayton won't be as good, but still definitely a very solid team. SLU probably better than last year. Rhode Island tough to tell with all the transfers, but potentially very good with Fatts returning. Davidson probably takes a step back without Gudmundsson, but they've still got Grady and some other pieces. Dukes and Bona should still be decent. VCU on shaky ground, but could easily go either way with the fresh faces.

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
Auburn, Wis, Ala are a wash with Ky, Cin and Colo State and the A-10 is going to be weaker- Still a bubble schedule

My goodness, some people will complain about anything. You forgot about Northern Iowa, and 2 neutral and 1 road game is not a wash with 3 road games. And, it matters that 5 of the OOC games are true road games.

My goodness, some people will complain about anything. You forgot about Northern Iowa, and 2 neutral and 1 road game is not a wash with 3 road games. And, it matters that 5 of the OOC games are true road games.

I mean the man is allowed to have his opinion. Him having a different opinion than you doesn’t mean he is complaining. It is called constructive criticism.

I mean the man is allowed to have his opinion. Him having a different opinion than you doesn’t mean he is complaining. It is called constructive criticism.

Fair enough. I read it like he was complaining about the schedule. If not, I apologize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT