ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Non-Conf Schedule

On second thought, maybe MSG and the Kentucky tournament are unconnected.

Kentucky headlined the BBN Showcase last year, which was also a five-team round-robin. All games were played on campus sites, with Kentucky as headliner getting all four games at home. UAB was second in the pecking order with three home games plus traveling to Kentucky, and then Lamar, Utah Valley, and Mount St. Mary's each got one home game among that group.

A similar thing this year would explain our trip to Kentucky and then we'd probably be the #2 team getting three home games against lower-tier teams, unfortunately.

Not sure where that leaves the MSG thing, which Dogg said was a tournament, but could possibly be a non-exempt tournament like just a four-team thing where each plays two games.

Interesting, and somewhat confusing. Says it's a round-robin MTE, so those are usually five teams, and you play everybody. I guess the good news is that if we're not getting Kentucky at MSG, then there's at least one other top tier team in there as a headliner that we'd get to face in another game, although presumably on the road instead of neutral.

In fact, sounds like similar setup as Gotham Classic, although ordinarily only the headline game gets to play at MSG in that one.

On second thought, maybe MSG and the Kentucky tournament are unconnected.

Kentucky headlined the BBN Showcase last year, which was also a five-team round-robin. All games were played on campus sites, with Kentucky as headliner getting all four games at home. UAB was second in the pecking order with three home games plus traveling to Kentucky, and then Lamar, Utah Valley, and Mount St. Mary's each got one home game among that group.

A similar thing this year would explain our trip to Kentucky and then we'd probably be the #2 team getting three home games against lower-tier teams, unfortunately.

Not sure where that leaves the MSG thing, which Dogg said was a tournament, but could possibly be a non-exempt tournament like just a four-team thing where each plays two games.

Yeah we'll see but agree more likely the latter. Or the thing at MSG may just be a 1 game neutral site game, part of a doubleheader and not a tourney at all. Can you play in two tournaments in 1 year, an exempt one and then a non-exempt? Not sure that is possible, haven't heard of it. Or possible we aren't playing at MSG but I trust Dogg on that.

The first scenario with UK on the road and still part of a MSG tourney had me intrigued but confused too. Round robin caught my eye, but figured possibly a mistake, and it could be a 8 team tourney like we had last year that was not round robin. However I just couldn't see us going to UK, then another good headliner on the road, 2 neutral games, with road games already scheduled at CSU, Charleston, and Vandy. Plus we could also be at BC. That was reported as a 3 game deal to get out of the football game, a 2 for 1 with 2 at BC to recoup a little of lost football cash for the 1 extra buy game on road. That would give us up to 6 road games and 2 neutral, seemed implausible but refreshingly bold.

Getting 3 low tier dogs as part of BBN Showcase seems more our speed unfortunately. But if we're maxing out on only those 3 dogs as part of our OOC then u could live with it especially getting the shot at Rupp. And if we have presumably a good game at minimum at MSG separately.

Last edited:
Yes, you can do an exempt and a non-exempt in the same year. It’s not super common, but programs definitely do it.

Three dogs in exchange for UK would be unfortunate, but it seems most likely. They’re frequently scattered all around the country, so it’s likely we’d still schedule some local low-ish opponents for fan/travel reasons.

If were playing Kentucky as part of a tournament, it would have been announced as such and the game wouldn't be at Rupp. The only reason you play dog meat games like CSUN, McNeese St, etc.... that we played this past year was to get Wisconsin and Auburn in Brooklyn. To just schedule teams like that for no other reason makes no sense, particularly when we have a team that is gonna be a team is gunning for an at large.

Our scheduling department needs to come through. They are paying Lunardi, it is apparently one of Jenkins primary responsibilities. Kentucky was a great start but we need way more than 1 really high caliber game to make a complete OOC at large worthy schedule. Vandy is a shit stick, so lets not count them, as anything more than a bad away game, that we now have to win. Whoever signed that series last year, should have to donate a weeks worth of pay to some charitable cause.

See what I mean? Definitely should have the "chemistry" advantage. Though depending who they grab on transfers, they may not be as good a game as normally? Big name recognition obviously, but as noted by others we need to do some work on the rest of the OOC still.

If were playing Kentucky as part of a tournament, it would have been announced as such and the game wouldn't be at Rupp. The only reason you play dog meat games like CSUN, McNeese St, etc.... that we played this past year was to get Wisconsin and Auburn in Brooklyn. To just schedule teams like that for no other reason makes no sense, particularly when we have a team that is gonna be a team is gunning for an at large.

Our scheduling department needs to come through. They are paying Lunardi, it is apparently one of Jenkins primary responsibilities. Kentucky was a great start but we need way more than 1 really high caliber game to make a complete OOC at large worthy schedule. Vandy is a shit stick, so lets not count them, as anything more than a bad away game, that we now have to win. Whoever signed that series last year, should have to donate a weeks worth of pay to some charitable cause.
Well, when you've already missed out on all of the other exempt tournaments, sometimes you end up playing three dogs in order to get Kentucky on the road and max out your scheduling.

Would love for that to not be the case, but it's not looking good.

Well, when you've already missed out on all of the other exempt tournaments, sometimes you end up playing three dogs in order to get Kentucky on the road and max out your scheduling.

Would love for that to not be the case, but it's not looking good.
Were we asleep at the wheel when it came time to sign up for the exempt tourneys? I mean we have pretty much played in one every year and now it gets to the year when we really need one and we can't get in one. This is so peak Mooney if it goes down like this. He could screw up a 2 car parade.

Reactions: Hanca

Obviously that was FRS. He will always schedule the 'Dores...

Reactions: urfan1

97 the UK game is definitely part of a tourney. It takes some luster off this game. Playing at Rupp is top 3 place to play in country so there's that but taking on 2 or possibly 3 really low major dogs to get it...ugh. I mean in past like last year u take on 2 bad teams to get shot at a couple strong ones at NEUTRAL site. Now we might be taking on 3 bad teams to play 1 on ROAD? Hey UR staff....we're going the wrong way. When I first heard of this game & thought stand alone game I was like wow we r picking it up.

You're right this was year to shoot for best possible exempt tourney, one of those exempt 8 team ones with 3 solid or better games, but we never ever pull those off. Mooney has said we want best possible schedule for this year and he's right, problem is I don't know what that means to them. And then with Lunardi the way they're still slurping him all over social media including our own PR interview that was more about Dayton than UR, and this was all after he treated us poorly during the year, gotta assume he's still involved. why for f*cks sake I have no idea.

CSU and Vandy aren't bad road games (Charleston I expect way down) but they won't move needle in any way. We need those move the needle games. 1 UK game won't do it. And u know we'll add at least another regional low major like vmi/hampton/longwood. May be good time to get W&M back instead. But at least those u control. The ones from this UK tourney are forced on us. We'll always have some low major dogs like anyone but need to limit esp with our prospects. I know I was in minority but NCAA expectations were right to have last year, & this year we have highest seed ever as rightful expectations. But imo to accomplish that you need to schedule accordingly. Still time to sort out but this MSG game(s) and others need to be strong.

Last edited:
97 the UK game is definitely part of a tourney. It takes some luster off this game. Playing at Rupp is top 3 place to play in country so there's that but taking on 2 or possibly 3 really low major dogs to get it...ugh. I mean in past like last year u take on 2 bad teams to get shot at a couple strong ones at NEUTRAL site. Now we might be taking on 3 bad teams to play 1 on ROAD? Hey UR staff....we're going the wrong way. When I first heard of this game & thought stand alone game I was like wow we r picking it up.

You're right this was year to shoot for best possible exempt tourney, one of those exempt 8 team ones with 3 solid or better games, but we never ever pull those off. Mooney has said we want best possible schedule for this year and he's right, problem is I don't know what that means to them. And then with Lunardi the way they're still slurping him all over social media including our own PR interview that was more about Dayton than UR, and this was all after he treated us poorly during the year, gotta assume he's still involved. why for f*cks sake I have no idea.

CSU and Vandy aren't bad road games (Charleston I expect way down) but they won't move needle in any way. We need those move the needle games. 1 UK game won't do it. And u know we'll add at least another regional low major like vmi/hampton/longwood. May be good time to get W&M back instead. But at least those u control. The ones from this UK tourney are forced on us. We'll always have some low major dogs like anyone but need to limit esp with our prospects. I know I was in minority but NCAA expectations were right to have last year, & this year we have highest seed ever as rightful expectations. But imo to accomplish that you need to schedule accordingly. Still time to sort out but this MSG game(s) and others need to be strong.
Would love to see us pick up a good in state team like VT or UVA. We used to play UVA a lot but I dont think we have scheduled them once in the Mooney era. That combined with Kentucky Vandy and hopefully a decent tourny should be an ok OOC but not good enough for the team we have this year.

Would love to see us pick up a good in state team like VT or UVA. We used to play UVA a lot but I dont think we have scheduled them once in the Mooney era. That combined with Kentucky Vandy and hopefully a decent tourny should be an ok OOC but not good enough for the team we have this year.
When Uncle Fessor was at VaTech we had a couple games, then we beat them twice in a row and
Uncle Fessor said he would not schedule UR any more.

Fascinating. I guess they’re banking that he’ll blow up?

I think at this point, they are only trying to field a team. They have lost almost everyone. They are hurting right now, but Cal will probably bring enough guys in to move Toppin down on the depth chart.

I don't think he has graduated, so is there any realistic chance he will play next year instead of sitting a year?
If the NCAA passes the new transfer rule next month, he and everyone else should be eligible next year.

Otherwise no...he was a freshman this season and there doesn’t seem to be a case for a hardship waiver.

This really really looking to be an intriguing match up. According to one recruiting site, they have 6 of the top 47 h.s. recruits coming in, which includes two top 7 players (6'6 and 6'7 SG's).
This would look to be a classic Talent Vs Experience match up. We would seem to have an advantage with a team of decorated seniors, but reality is they will have the length/athleticism edge at likely every position.

If Toppin gets eligible this year (depending on the vote, and if it applies to 21 or 22 season) it will be very intriguing to see how he fares for PT vs these recruits. On one hand, if he had prepped another year, maybe he would have been a top 50 recruit. And he has a year of D1 experience vs these guys. But on the other hand, maybe these guys are just better as the rankings would indicate?

So Rhody counting on Jacob to follow in Obi's footsteps - a pipe dream................maybe that was why Kentucky wants Jacob ...first hand knowledge of what it is like to lose to the Spiders............

Meanwhile, VCU already locking in their 2021 exempt tournament.

I can't figure out the status of the NCAA's multi-team event proposal that would have reduced the maximum number of games from four to three, but I see a lot of the round-robin events for next season are only involving four teams with three games each. So in that case, maybe ours will be the same and we'll only need to face two dogs in exchange for UK.

Reactions: plydogg
Meanwhile, VCU already locking in their 2021 exempt tournament.

I can't figure out the status of the NCAA's multi-team event proposal that would have reduced the maximum number of games from four to three, but I see a lot of the round-robin events for next season are only involving four teams with three games each. So in that case, maybe ours will be the same and we'll only need to face two dogs in exchange for UK.

2 other games definitely better than 3 if you can still schedule the max 31. New rule if this is accurate. The VCU 2021 MTE is exact kind we never get in.

2 other games definitely better than 3 if you can still schedule the max 31. New rule if this is accurate. The VCU 2021 MTE is exact kind we never get in.
Yeah, the new proposal was supposed to be max three games in an MTE, but you could still play 31 total with either a 3-game or 2-game MTE. I didn't think they'd voted on it yet, but I'm seeing lots of round-robin MTEs for next year with only 4 teams. And yet there some of the other main event style MTEs still seem to setting up for 4 games, so maybe there's an overlap or a grandfathering for previously arranged MTEs that still offer 4 games.

Yeah, good timing following my other post. No sign of any grandfathering, so the 8-team MTEs next year are going to be three games for each team. No campus games against dogs. Makes those destination MTEs even more appealing.

And here we are hosting Detroit and another crappy team in exchange for a shot at UK in Rupp. Pretty pathetic.

Anybody know if Wake is supposed to be back on the schedule next season?

Anybody know if Wake is supposed to be back on the schedule next season?

They’re not. Mooney was asked that & he basically said they talk to Wake & think the series will pick back up in future but gave impression unlikely next season. Perhaps w new staff that could change but I doubt it.

15 million dollar payout to fire him. Not to mention what they will have to pay the new coach - guess Wake is not asking people to take pay cuts.

I'd be surprised if that high. I know there have been some reports of his contract, but I believe he was actually making around 2 million not 3. Wake being private doesn't disclose but there are 990 Forms. So 10 total left not 15 and imagine it's over the length of his remaining contract, not a lump sum. But yeah still a lot & Wake employees r probably celebrating, as pay cuts or furlough would look really bad now. Another example of why we need a buyout baked in for the Moon. Wake reportedly didn't have one even though buyouts are fairly common. Unless they negotiated something over the last month or so. Being private harder to find out contract details, and for private schools the sports writers often rely on the word of the agents who have reason to push inflated numbers.

Yeah, good timing following my other post. No sign of any grandfathering, so the 8-team MTEs next year are going to be three games for each team. No campus games against dogs. Makes those destination MTEs even more appealing.

And here we are hosting Detroit and another crappy team in exchange for a shot at UK in Rupp. Pretty pathetic.

I don't understand the complaining about this. If we do get the two home games along with the road game at Kentucky, we still have eight other OOC games available. I would take a set up like this every year if it means having a game against a team like Ky.

As cool as the opportunity to face UK in Rupp is, I would much rather be in something like the Maui Invitational. Davidson's in it next year, and they bring less to the table than we do.

Guaranteed three neutral site games from the group of Alabama, Indiana, UNC, Providence, Stanford, Texas, and UNLV. With the squad we have, we'd have a good chance of winning at least two out three against name teams rather than putting all of your eggs in one basket for a very difficult road game at UK. And having two NET killers at home that don't even offer a regional crowd draw benefit.

We could be a great team and still lose the UK game, and then we've done nothing for our résumé. I want the most number of shots at decent P6 teams as I can get, preferably on neutral courts.

As cool as the opportunity to face UK in Rupp is, I would much rather be in something like the Maui Invitational. Davidson's in it next year, and they bring less to the table than we do.

Guaranteed three neutral site games from the group of Alabama, Indiana, UNC, Providence, Stanford, Texas, and UNLV. With the squad we have, we'd have a good chance of winning at least two out three against name teams rather than putting all of your eggs in one basket for a very difficult road game at UK. And having two NET killers at home that don't even offer a regional crowd draw benefit.

We could be a great team and still lose the UK game, and then we've done nothing for our résumé. I want the most number of shots at decent P6 teams as I can get, preferably on neutral courts.
Key to a good non conference is having multiple shots at resuming enhancing wins. Kentucky is one shot right now. I would suspect that given our squad next year, we will have several other good opportunities at some big wins, but am growing a bit concerned about that.

Reactions: plydogg

But, we would still have 8 other games to build the resume. We should wait till the final schedule is revealed before worrying about a couple games.This would allow us to play 31 games, and would give us a solid name game at Ky. Who cares if we host 2 teams that we should beat that won't help the resume? Every team out there will have at least 2, if not several more, home games against teams like this that will not build the resume. Several neutral site games against P6 teams would be great, but the tourneys and teams have to want you in there. Maybe we can land in one of those 8 team tourneys loaded with P6 teams in the near future if we keep winning. For, now @ Ky. is a great addition.

But, we would still have 8 other games to build the resume. We should wait till the final schedule is revealed before worrying about a couple games.This would allow us to play 31 games, and would give us a solid name game at Ky. Who cares if we host 2 teams that we should beat that won't help the resume? Every team out there will have at least 2, if not several more, home games against teams like this that will not build the resume. Several neutral site games against P6 teams would be great, but the tourneys and teams have to want you in there. Maybe we can land in one of those 8 team tourneys loaded with P6 teams in the near future if we keep winning. For, now @ Ky. is a great addition.
Colorado State, Vandy, ODU, Charleston...none of them are moving the needle much. CSU probably the best shot, but I haven't looked to see if they're expected to be up or down next year.

Home opener will almost certainly be against a dog (that hopefully won't require OT).

We're running out of slots for true impact games, and at this point, I'm really hoping SpiderDogg is onto something with his MSG claim.

I'm on the record as saying this year's schedule should have been stronger than it was, and it had three bubble-or-better teams on it. We should be aiming even higher for next year, and so far all we've got is UK and a fingers-crossed MSG rumor.

Could we fill our remaining slots with solid teams and end up with a great schedule? Sure, but there's nothing wrong with being a bit concerned that we're not seeing it yet.

Kentucky is definitely a great game to have. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

The problem is that based upon recent history we are surely going to have some Hamptons, Longwoods, etc. in our schedule to go along with the 2 likely stinkers we apparently will get from playing Kentucky.

All of a sudden we will have four likely 300+ teams and a handful of other mediocre teams (e.g. ODU) on the schedule and running out of time/space for impactful games.

Next year's group has a chance to be a once in a generation type of team and we need a serious schedule to match.

We need to add games where winning actually helps us. These games against cupcake are high risk/low reward. The reward from winning is zero and if we lose (like to Radford) it’s the type of loss that is so bad it could keep us out of an at large bid

ADVERTISEMENT