ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Non-Conf Schedule

They're both large state schools
Not sure why that should be particularly relevant. It's about the quality of the basketball, not the size of the schools.

The Robins Center and Siegel Center hold about the same number of fans, so it's not like VCU is hosting them in a giant arena where UVA can pull in tons of alumni and fans.

Also we r doomed if BC has more “committee value” than UNI. I respect BC my dad went there but it’s not really close. BC hasn’t been good in a while. Why even have a committee if they r THAT biased.[/QUOTE]

I love Philly's analysis and takes, but agree with GKiller here. The home wins over BC and Vandy last year did nothing in the eyes of the committee. They were bad P-6 teams and that is that. Had we lost either one of them, we probably wouldn't have been on the bubble, it would have been a bad loss.

Assuming UNI is what they are projected to be, that UNI game is way way better than either BC or Vandy.

Our OOC last year was OK, but even with that, we were still a team that was going to get an at large on the basis of one really good win (Wisconsin on a neutral court), only had one bad loss (Radford) and then just won the games we needed to win in the OOC.

Feel our OOC schedule this year is going to be better than last year.

Not sure why that should be particularly relevant. It's about the quality of the basketball, not the size of the schools.

The Robins Center and Siegel Center hold about the same number of fans, so it's not like VCU is hosting them in a giant arena where UVA can pull in tons of alumni and fans.

Lots of political pressure can be used to match the state schools. remember the pressure on UVA to vote for VT to enter the ACC?

So if UNI finishes 46 in Net just like last year, I think its a game that helps us numerically with our NET because of the algorithms at work etc. I don't think it moves anyone on the Committee in the least (even if it should). Still a good game to get on the schedule though. The schedule I think IS slightly tougher with a chance to be even better, but the remaining games are crucial because if they end up as 3 home games against rubbish, the schedule might actually be worse. The part of it for me that is mildly troubling is there are only 2 chances so far for a real quality name brand win and both are on the road. We certainly don't have to have a marquee win to get in, but without one, we don't have a ton of room for error anywhere else. I don't think this last year we are feeling too good about our chances without the Wisco win. I'd really like to see 2 good solid P6 games and at least one of them on a neutral floor.

JMU ooc schedule is out and we are not on it. This wouldn't be news, except I was kinda thinking we may give them a H&H with their new arena opening up. We'd host this year, possibly even as home opener, then go to their place next year. I could see them making a push to get us into their new arena given old history at the Convo Center & us also being receptive. usually schools are a little more open to games for new arena openings. For instance UVA is playing at JMU this year. Oh well. Maybe we'll see W&M back instead.

A10 pairings still not out, hopefully we'll see those soon.

Reactions: plydogg
Was really surprised to see a couple of D-III schools out of PA that no one's ever heard of on their schedule...Bryn Athyn (enrollment 330) and Clarks Summit (enrollment 667). And they aren't exhibitions.

Occasionally they'll play a counting game against Bridgewater or Eastern Mennonite right down the street, but I don't understand the games this year. Schedules may be wonky this year due to restrictions and wariness, but I have no idea why they're bringing in two D-IIIs from 300 miles away.

Was really surprised to see a couple of D-III schools out of PA that no one's ever heard of on their schedule...Bryn Athyn (enrollment 330) and Clarks Summit (enrollment 667). And they aren't exhibitions.

Occasionally they'll play a counting game against Bridgewater or Eastern Mennonite right down the street, but I don't understand the games this year. Schedules may be wonky this year due to restrictions and wariness, but I have no idea why they're bringing in two D-IIIs from 300 miles away.
Because JMU basketball is a D3 program.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
I wonder why they’ve never been able to get their program going? Lefty left them heading in the right direction years ago, but that’s where it seemed to end.
Right now Longwood and Radford seem to have better bb programs.
I don't know either. They have a lot of the things you would want: big student population, ability to enroll most any athlete, strong support of sports in general. They remind me of what UVA football was for a long time – an outlier in their own athletic department.

It may be as simple as a few bad hires and enough down years that recruiting became untenable.

It's hard to climb out of the hole once you are down (especially for a prolonged time) think about how long our MBB was down before Coach T.

Scheduling a home and home against JMU is a hard no for me. I get the rivalry, but until that program shows they can win, we should stay away. Playing JMU would only hurt our resume win or lose.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Scheduling a home and home against JMU is a hard no for me. I get the rivalry, but until that program shows they can win, we should stay away. Playing JMU would only hurt our resume win or lose.

No doubt they've been bad for long time but is it any different then playing VMI, Longwood, Hampton, etc. which I think many of us still anticipate adding a game like that? I'd rather play JMU as a better regional rivalry game and sometimes u gotta to get ahead of the curve. If we added a game like that.

Maybe we won't be though...I listened to recording of Noah on radio today with BB and BB indicated Hofstra is on home schedule. Haven't seen that reported anywhere else. Plus with BB and how wrong he was last year reporting on schedule he may have misspoke and meant ODU or Bucknell. Have to give him benefit of doubt & he clearly said Hofstra. Link here...

https://espnrichmond.com/79292/spid...h-goldberg-joins-bob-black-wednesday-morning/

Hofstra has been a solid, consistent mid major especially under Milhalich who is a good coach. Unfortunately Hofstra graduated their two best players and high scorers so a dip is definitely expected. But better on paper than our average home ooc game, if they can be near their last 5 years performance which is tbd. This one is on you Bob.

Found this tweet from a few days ago:

Home
Dec. 2: Northern Iowa - 48 (Q2a)
??: Hofstra - 118 (Q3)
Nov. 18: ODU - 173 (Q4)
Dec. 20: Bucknell - 239 (Q4)
Nov. 13: Hartford (Bluegrass Showcase) - 246 (Q4)
Nov. 15: Detroit Mercy (Bluegrass Showcase) - 307 (Q4)

Away
Nov. 23: Kentucky (Bluegrass Showcase) - 21 (Q1a)
Dec. 22: Cincinnati - 51 (Q1b)
Dec. 5: Colorado State - 106 (Q2b)
??: Vanderbilt - 142 (Q3)
??: Charleston - 152 (Q3)

Reactions: GKiller
Found this tweet from a few days ago:

Home
Dec. 2: Northern Iowa - 48 (Q2a)
??: Hofstra - 118 (Q3)
Nov. 18: ODU - 173 (Q4)
Dec. 20: Bucknell - 239 (Q4)
Nov. 13: Hartford (Bluegrass Showcase) - 246 (Q4)
Nov. 15: Detroit Mercy (Bluegrass Showcase) - 307 (Q4)

Away
Nov. 23: Kentucky (Bluegrass Showcase) - 21 (Q1a)
Dec. 22: Cincinnati - 51 (Q1b)
Dec. 5: Colorado State - 106 (Q2b)
??: Vanderbilt - 142 (Q3)
??: Charleston - 152 (Q3)
Assuming the tweet is incorrect about the location of the Northern Iowa game.

I am going to make a formal request for the UNI game - if fans are able to attend.
During halftime, can they show the 4th quarter of the 2008 football game at the UNI-Dome? That would be sweet.

I know we all love to hate vcu and their fans. But anyone around here remember how terrible the trolls of their fan base were? Make vcu fans look like straight gentleman. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed beating a team no where near us geographically.

I know we all love to hate vcu and their fans. But anyone around here remember how terrible the trolls of their fan base were? Make vcu fans look like straight gentleman. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed beating a team no where near us geographically.
Agree Ferrum, I cannot remember the ID for one particular jerk from UNI but he was a chicken and never came back on to acknowledge the winner and be a sport about it and take his medicine. They were as cocky as it gets.

I am going to make a formal request for the UNI game - if fans are able to attend.
During halftime, can they show the 4th quarter of the 2008 football game at the UNI-Dome? That would be sweet.

Invite back as many of the team as possible, give them seats of honor while being shown.

Reactions: VT4700
Doesn't directly affect our hoops team, but in case people aren't checking the football board, numerous sources reporting the Ivy League will announce no sports at all until at least January 1. There goes the non-conference portion of their hoops schedules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT