ADVERTISEMENT

2020-2021 Non-Conf Schedule

Kentucky game will be on Monday November 23rd. I am also hearing we are in a tournament at MSG, not sure when or who the opponents are yet.

Reactions: plydogg
Not sure what the MSG tournament could be.

- Empire Classic is held there, but the headliners have already been announced for next year: Baylor, Michigan, NC State, and Villanova.

- Gotham Classic has a showcase game at MSG, but that's already announced as Syracuse-LSU.

- Jimmy V Classic is just a showcase doubleheader. Don't believe anything's been revealed yet for 2020, but they always attract the cream of the crop.

Kentucky game will be on Monday November 23rd. I am also hearing we are in a tournament at MSG, not sure when or who the opponents are yet.

"Hey Mimi, me, the wife and kids want to come celebrate your 94th birthday and Thanksgiving with you. Yeah, we'll be getting in on Sunday the 22nd. Weird, I know..."

Honestly I'm a little worried about or midseason tourny this year. These are the teams not yet tied to a tournament.
A10 (5/14): Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s

ACC (3/15): Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

American Athletic (3/11): East Carolina, SMU, Tulane

Big Ten (3/14): Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers

MW (4/11): Air Force, Fresno State, San Jose State, Wyoming

Pac-12 (1/12): Washington

SEC (2/14): Georgia, Kentucky

WCC (4/10): Loyola Marymount, Pacific, Pepperdine, San Diego

We cant play Kentucky so I think the best we could hope for is maybe Maryland and VT but other than that there are very few options.

There are a couple of spots open in some otherwise announced events. One is the Las Vegas Invitational with New Mexico, Santa Clara and Depaul. That would be a solid get! And the Music City shootout in Nashville still has 3 spots so that could still work out with some of the teams from your list.

But maybe Kentucky is what we get instead of a tourney. The tourneys give you multiple games that only count as one against the games played limit. So maybe Kentucky and UR settled for each other for the one game we were each were holding open?? Solid game for both - - - maybe viewed as better than any tournament options??

Is there no longer the rule about how you can only be in an exempt tournament every other year?

You can be in an exempt tournament every year. it used to be a limit of two every four years, but that was scrapped over a decade ago after court challenges.

There’s still a rule that you can’t participate in the same tournament more often than once every four years.

Las Vegas Invitational would be a disaster...two Q3 and a Q2 based on this year’s NET. Yuck.

Reactions: VT4700
This would be good. Eliminate some scheduling headaches by eliminating two OOC games, and also making the league schedule more balanced. Some years who you only play once, or only play once at home, makes for unequal scheduling between teams competing for the same prize.
I disagree I think this could be bad for the a-10 as a whole. Less of a chance to get signature power 6 wins in ooc and gives a bigger advantage to power 6 teams

Last edited:
I disagree I think this could be bad for the a-10 as a whole. Less of a chance to get signature power 6 wins in ooc and gives a bigger advantage to power 6 teams
I agree. I honestly don’t like playing A-10 teams anymore than we have to. There is still very little rivalry feel in those games. It’s a crying shame we don’t play either UVA or Va Tech every year. I would rather play Liberty or ODU than play UMass or LaSalle twice.

Twenty games is only a good idea if we know there will be at least 5 league teams in the top 75 or so, and they can match up twice against each other. In general, we already get penalized as a league every year for beating each other up, though, so it seems like this would only make things worse.

I think going to 20 would be a good idea. Every team plays at least 2 easy OOC games. Just replace those 2 with the 2 A-10 games and everyone's schedule should improve. 20 conference games still leaves 11 OOC games, so there would still be plenty of room to schedule some quality OOC games.

You don't eliminate those games. You eliminate the current worst two OOC games. The A-10 going to 20 games does not impact the ACC or any other conference. The Pac-12 is doing it too.

In theory, maybe you do eliminate the worst two OOC games. But in reality? More conferences going this route makes it harder to get better OOC games. And we all know that in the P6 leagues, they get rewarded for beating each other and not penalized. The opposite is true in the A10.

Twenty games is only a good idea if we know there will be at least 5 league teams in the top 75 or so, and they can match up twice against each other. In general, we already get penalized as a league every year for beating each other up, though, so it seems like this would only make things worse.
I think the bonus scheduling introduced by CUSA should be considered if the A10 goes to 20 games.
It's not working for CUSA because their top tier of teams isn't even at-large bid-worthy.

Not sure what the MSG tournament could be.

- Empire Classic is held there, but the headliners have already been announced for next year: Baylor, Michigan, NC State, and Villanova.

- Gotham Classic has a showcase game at MSG, but that's already announced as Syracuse-LSU.

- Jimmy V Classic is just a showcase doubleheader. Don't believe anything's been revealed yet for 2020, but they always attract the cream of the crop.

Dont count out Gotham. We were the undercard at MSG for Gotham back in 14' I believe. That may have been our worst tourney in a decade. Not sure what it would be either but let's hope it's not the Gotham. Also run by Mooney's agent right, the Gazelle Group. We r often in Gazelle group tourneys. We've been in a few good ones but never get in the really good tourneys like some other A10 teams. Gazelle's are more like the CBI which coincidentally the gazelle guy ran too & we were in a lot too. I'd tell Mooney to get a new agent but he does so well on that front this might be part of his agent fee.

With our expectations we have to be in something we can't be rolling 29 games deep. I'm a little worried though given the limited availability remaining.

Great road trips possible in Lexington, Charleston, Nashville tho.

I agree. I honestly don’t like playing A-10 teams anymore than we have to. There is still very little rivalry feel in those games. It’s a crying shame we don’t play either UVA or Va Tech every year. I would rather play Liberty or ODU than play UMass or LaSalle twice.
We can't cry over spilled milk, let just play the hand dealt us!

We've been in a few good ones but never get in the really good tourneys like some other A10 teams.
They usually are lesser tourneys, but I wouldn't say "never." This past season we got the #1 seed in the Big Ten and the #2 seed in the SEC. Pretty....pretty....pretty good.

Yep this is exactly what the power conference teams want us to do. Don't give in. I'd rather go back to 16 then up to 20. This is where the NCAA could actually do something beneficial to game at large and not special interests like the p5. Mandate some equity in scheduling like # of league games and required OOC away games. If not then no sub .500 teams make the dance as at large.

Dont count out Gotham. We were the undercard at MSG for Gotham back in 14' I believe. That may have been our worst tourney in a decade. Not sure what it would be either but let's hope it's not the Gotham. Also run by Mooney's agent right, the Gazelle Group.

That was a weird year for the Gotham. It's always a five-team round-robin tournament with two headliners and three bottom feeders, and the headliner matchup is at MSG. In 2014, it was us and Pepperdine as the headliners and Howard, IUPUI and South Alabama as the bottom feeders. Our headliner game was so lame that they added NC State-WVU as a one-off game to make a doubleheader at MSG to try to draw somebody, anybody to buy tickets.

Next year's lineup is LSU and Syracuse, with Green Bay, Mercer, and Jacksonville State filling things out. So with that lineup, they've got their marquee matchup and no place for us unless somebody drops out.

I mean, the arrogance of Kentucky. “Yeah, we’ll probably get this guy, even though he is on a great team and has never once suggested he’ll transfer.”

Yeah whatever. Go eat some more sugar cubes.

I read a few UK tweets about how this game was some kind of trade for Golden. That they're scheduling the Spiders because Grant is coming to UK. Oh ok? Yeah it always works that way dingleberrys. wtf it's the exact opposite. If Grant was going there we wouldn't be playing them AT ALL.

I read a few UK tweets about how this game was some kind of trade for Golden. That they're scheduling the Spiders because Grant is coming to UK. Oh ok? Yeah it always works that way dingleberrys. wtf it's the exact opposite. If Grant was going there we wouldn't be playing them AT ALL.
Exactly. It would be like another guy stealing your woman, then inviting you to join them for dinner at his place. Uhh, no thanks.

P6 teams in the top 100 of this year's NET that are not yet linked to an exempt event for next year:

- Maryland (18)
- Kentucky (21)
- Rutgers (30)
- Iowa (34)
- Washington (58)
- Georgia Tech (72)
- Georgia (91)
- Virginia Tech (92)

And essentially all of the good events are already filled, so no good open single slots for us. Here's what I see...

- Paradise Jam has a spot open after Colorado withdrew, but Bona is already in there, so we can't be in it.

- Jamaica Classic has a spot open, but UMass is already in there, so we can't be in it.

- Las Vegas Invitational has a spot open, but DePaul, New Mexico, and Santa Clara is a very unappealing group to be in.

- Portland Thanksgiving Invitational has two spots open with Idaho and Portland. No thanks.

- Music City Shootout has three spots with only Towson announced. That's a possibility, but it's a new tournament and Towson doesn't bode particularly well for their ability to draw high-end teams.

- Washington State Tournament has one spot available after San Francisco dropped out, but Washington State, Idaho State, and CSUN are not a good group.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/...rnaments-mte-thanksgiving-holiday-tournaments

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
SF - think for now we should defer to SpiderDogg re: MSG. He knew the UK date, & I think may have been first on here to mention that the UK game was in the works. Might be a new tourney not announced, or you do get some switches in these things. You are right what's out there is unappealing.

No doubt SpiderDogg seems to have good info...just trying to figure out what that MSG tournament might be. I mean, if one of the headliners in the Gotham Classic or 2K Empire Classic wants to drop out, by all means put us in.

I think this list overlooks the Robins Center Roundball Rodeo in December, featuring Maryland, Kentucky again and Iowa.

Reactions: MrTbone
They usually are lesser tourneys, but I wouldn't say "never." This past season we got the #1 seed in the Big Ten and the #2 seed in the SEC. Pretty....pretty....pretty good.

It was good & one of our better ones over the years. Mainly bc we beat Wisco to get auburn. Two teams that also outperformed expectations a little too. & we still had to take on 2 dogs to get them. While nobody was complaining about that tourney going into it nobody would also mistake it for the really good tourneys. The ones w 8 teams at 1 site like Charleston Maui Orlando myrtle beach etc. there r 5-6 strong tourneys each year w 8 teams that u get all pretty good games or higher. A10 teams seem to be in them regularly but never us. Of course I don’t expect that regularly but once in a while we should get in. Don’t think that’s asking too much. Last years worked out but u r still rolling the dice much more than those other ones.

Absolutely...like Dayton in Myrtle and VCU in Charleston. I get why they get those choice spots with their histories, but we should be in the mix for spots like those in our good years.

But look at La Salle in the Caymans and Davidson in Maui and SLU in Orlando. Solid 8-team fields and absolutely the type of thing we should be in.

Bona’s got the Paradise Jam, but that group isn’t super-strong.

Good point G; I'm discounting CSUN and McNeese St.
Hopefully our success this season (and next?) gets us invited to the cooler parties.

As long as we steer clear of the Gotham Classic or anything else run by Mooney's snake oil salesman agent.

As long as we steer clear of the Gotham Classic or anything else run by Mooney's snake oil salesman agent.
I thought we all agreed this year's event with Wisconsin and Auburn was great. He ran that.

And I'd take the 2K Empire Classic in a heartbeat...Villanova, Michigan, Baylor, and NC State lined up for next year's edition.

I thought we all agreed this year's event with Wisconsin and Auburn was great. He ran that.

And I'd take the 2K Empire Classic in a heartbeat...Villanova, Michigan, Baylor, and NC State lined up for next year's edition.
But I wouldn't be excited if we were one of the "other four".

Edit: On second thought, are they changing the format? I thought the other four only played each other? But Howard plays Nova & NC St?

SF - think for now we should defer to SpiderDogg re: MSG. He knew the UK date, & I think may have been first on here to mention that the UK game was in the works. Might be a new tourney not announced, or you do get some switches in these things. You are right what's out there is unappealing.
Nothing new to report bark bark. Will woof woof once I get a scent of something new.

Our UK game is not a stand alone game but part of a multi-team tourney per D1Docket. Detroit also in it. Presumably, based on how MTEs have worked in past, that means 2 games prior to MSG, 2 games at MSG. If a normal 8 team event. Traditionally we've been a campus host site for these kind of MTEs, of course vs. low major teams. If we finish at MSG that could mean we are getting the undercard treatment up there vs the lesser teams. For instance we wouldn't have chance at playing UK twice, wouldn't be set up that way. Maybe MSG is just 1 game, not 2 games. In past like last year the 4 "host" sites move on, but we are not a host site unless it's for 1 game. Will be interesting how it shakes out. Would be nice to get all strong to decent games but that's unlikely.

Interesting, and somewhat confusing. Says it's a round-robin MTE, so those are usually five teams, and you play everybody. I guess the good news is that if we're not getting Kentucky at MSG, then there's at least one other top tier team in there as a headliner that we'd get to face in another game, although presumably on the road instead of neutral.

In fact, sounds like similar setup as Gotham Classic, although ordinarily only the headline game gets to play at MSG in that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT