ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Purple(4-0,2-0)host #11 UR(3-0) +9.5 Saturday 2pm kickoff NBCSports Wash/FLO

Man, I know the bubble is weak and somebody has to get the bids, but I have a really hard time seeing us getting one. JMU is not deserving of being the #1 team and they handled us pretty easily. And our three wins are nothing to write home about.

So hard with such little data to go on, but I just don't see where we were able to make a case for a bid. We kind of just drifted up the rankings as teams lost while we were missing games, so we somehow find ourselves squarely on the bubble.

I haven't really paid enough attention to this to know but is there enough strong profiles behind us to keep us out? Look at Kennesaw State's profile. Should they be in over us?

I haven't really paid enough attention to this to know but is there enough strong profiles behind us to keep us out? Look at Kennesaw State's profile. Should they be in over us?
Their conference is not as strong as CAA and they got smoked by Monmouth last week, but many are mentioning them as being a bubble team.

Yeah, I mean look at other bubble teams:

- #13 UC Davis: Win over an Idaho team that was #19 at the time but finished 2-4 and unranked, wins over bad Cal Poly and Idaho State teams. Respectable losses to top ten teams Weber and EWU. Despite only being 3-2, I think I'd put them ahead of us. But I guess there are some reports that they may have opted out of playoffs? Haven't really looked into that.

- #16 Kennesaw: Had the advantage of a #8 ranking to start the season, and beat up on crappy teams until getting smacked around in their final game by Monmouth. Is Monmouth any good? Who knows..possibly, but hard to tell from only three games.

- #14 Missouri State: Fascinating one here...5–1 in the MVFC with three wins over ranked teams and their only loss to NDSU. But they also played three games in the fall and went 0-3 in those games. Oklahoma loss obviously doesn't count against them, but the other two losses were to a middling Central Arkansas team that only played a fall schedule. But with spring wins over SD, UNI, and SIU, I think you have to put Missouri State in.

- #18 Southern Illinois: Speaking of SIU, they're only 5-3, but have four wins over teams that were ranked at game time, including top 5 NDSU and UNI. Losses to ND and SDSU shouldn't hurt too bad, and their other one was to Missouri State. But can the MVFC get 5 in?

Murray State? ETSU? I have no idea. What a mess.

Last edited:
I’m not saying we are deserving of a bid. But the NCAA owes us after the screw job they did to us in 2012 when we went 8-3 and left us out.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I don’t see the selection committee putting in five MVC teams. So that rules out SIU. I think Missouri State is in as the 4th MVC team. Then it’s down to Richmond, Kennesaw, Murray State and ETSU. All lost their last game of the season but Richmond was ranked higher in most polls going into last week’s game and lost to the #1 ranked team.

Looking at rankings and resumes I think it’s either Richmond or Murray State for the last at large spot.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I don’t see the selection committee putting in five MVC teams. So that rules out SIU. I think Missouri State is in as the 4th MVC team. Then it’s down to Richmond, Kennesaw, Murray State and ETSU. All lost their last game of the season but Richmond was ranked higher in most polls going into last week’s game and lost to the #1 ranked team.

Looking at rankings and resumes I think it’s either Richmond or Murray State for the last at large spot.

if so,here’s hoping we get either Davidson or Sacred Heart in the 1st round.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
Welp. JMU a 3 seed and SIU just got an ALB. And when they said "which teams will get snubbed" and played a clip of our team leading into commercial. Not looking good.

Not really surprised at how it played out…MVFC got all the respect. JMU fans incredulous that they didn’t get the top seed, but SOS was a killer for them.

My observations from the selection show are that it seems teams that played more games got at large bids and you can’t really argue with that. They also said you had to play 4 games at minimum to make the playoffs but you had a 3 and 0 Monmouth team get in with an auto bid, in my opinion they shouldn’t have gotten a bid. They talked about how the MEAC couldn’t get an auto bid because they didn’t play enough games, so if that’s the case then why was Monmouth and their league allowed a bid? But at the end of the day it all boils down to the fact that we don’t take football or athletics in general seriously at UR. If we did we would have scheduled additional games to make up for some of the lost games or would have played some semblance of a fall schedule so we could get more games in hopes of setting up for the playoffs.

As some of us thought, committee selected a total of 5 MVFC teams and 2 CAA teams.Which meant 4 of the 6 available at-large selections went to the MVFC.That kept UR out.

SDSU whipped up on NDSU in the FargoDome yesterday which lofted them into the #1 seed.That likely dropped JMU in the eyes of the committee which further didn’t help us.

Last edited:
MEAC wasn’t able to get an auto bid because they only had three teams playing and they couldn’t all play each other due to travel restrictions, so they couldn’t meet the NCAA requirements. It wasn’t just about number of games played.

Yes - William and Mary 1-2 record
Elon 1-5 record, who ironically beat Davidson for their one win with Davidson winning the Pioneer League and getting a bid to the playoffs.

My observations from the selection show are that it seems teams that played more games got at large bids and you can’t really argue with that. They also said you had to play 4 games at minimum to make the playoffs but you had a 3 and 0 Monmouth team get in with an auto bid, in my opinion they shouldn’t have gotten a bid. They talked about how the MEAC couldn’t get an auto bid because they didn’t play enough games, so if that’s the case then why was Monmouth and their league allowed a bid? But at the end of the day it all boils down to the fact that we don’t take football or athletics in general seriously at UR. If we did we would have scheduled additional games to make up for some of the lost games or would have played some semblance of a fall schedule so we could get more games in hopes of setting up for the playoffs.
The 4 game rule was for at-large bids. Monmouth won their conference AQ.

Why couldn’t we have scheduled vmi for example when we were missing games? We easily could have made that happen or scheduled any number of regional teams to help get more games in and improve our resume. Could have scheduled nova, delaware, vmi, Davidson, mercer, or even someone like murray state who was also a bubble team. We knew the schedule we had wasn’t going to cut it and should have adjusted to help get into the playoffs. Once again proving my point that no one at UR cares about winning in athletics. 3-1 with wins over respectable schools like William and Mary and Elon are fine with the higher ups. What a joke.

The CAA did us a disservice by scheduling us against JMU this week. While winning that game would have locked up a bid for us, we were a clear underdog. Getting us a game against a decent opponent where we had a higher likelihood of winning would have been better for us, as any decent win likely would have been enough.

That said, I know JMU also needed a game for at-large eligibility and teams were bowing out of the season left and right, so options for getting both of us games were limited.

Why couldn’t we have scheduled vmi for example when we were missing games? We easily could have made that happen or scheduled any number of regional teams to help get more games in and improve our resume. Could have scheduled nova, delaware, vmi, Davidson, mercer, or even someone like murray state who was also a bubble team. We knew the schedule we had wasn’t going to cut it and should have adjusted to help get into the playoffs. Once again proving my point that no one at UR cares about winning in athletics. 3-1 with wins over respectable schools like William and Mary and Elon are fine with the higher ups. What a joke.
nothing changes. Next fall I look around for excuses as well. We didn't schedule enough opponents. We couldn't win the big games. Athletics is more of a social event here!

One of the games we missed was because between injuries and covid we could not field a team, so that week was out.

One of the games we missed was because between injuries and covid we could not field a team, so that week was out.
There were at least 2 other weeks we could have tried to find someone to play. Getting to 6 games would have gotten us in the playoffs.

The first JMU game was canceled the Monday before, so there was definitely time to find an alternate opponent. I recall reading that they tried but couldn’t work anything out. In retrospect, they should have tried harder, but they didn’t know they’d end up missing two more games.

The second JMU cancelation was due to us being in protocols, so no chance for anything there.

The W&M cancelation came on Friday…basically impossible to get a new matchup set up on such short notice, even if you pushed it back to Sunday.

Reactions: urfan1
So essentially, when we won games this spring, they were meaningless scrimmages, but when we lost to the No. 1-ranked team on the road, it's proof our program is going nowhere. Amirite?

Reactions: Spiderwiz
Had the second WM game not been cancelled bc of Covid, we likely end the season 4-0 and in playoffs. The Saturday JMU game would not have occurred,

Ironic, Covid issues likely prevented Spiders from dancing in basketball last season and playing in football playoffs this season.

Well, that might be your take.
Seems pretty accurate.

The first time we beat Elon the game thread said it was because their QB didn't play. When we beat W&M, the game thread said no big deal, because they sucked. Then we beat Elon again, more of the same from the previous Elon thread. Then we lose to JMU, the third seed and on the road, and the sky is falling.

Hard to see it otherwise.

Seems pretty accurate.

The first time we beat Elon the game thread said it was because their QB didn't play. When we beat W&M, the game thread said no big deal, because they sucked. Then we beat Elon again, more of the same from the previous Elon thread. Then we lose to JMU, the third seed and on the road, and the sky is falling.

Hard to see it otherwise.
Sorry you feel that way.

I'm proud of the way we performed, particularly the defensive front.
It's been a while since we finished .750 or better.

Sorry you feel that way.

I'm proud of the way we performed, particularly the defensive front.
It's been a while since we finished .750 or better.
Come on we played two weak opponents and got manhandled by JMU 26-6 that is hardly playoff worthy. We need a passing game or the fall won’t be any better

I agree Fans. No denying the defense is much improved. They played a solid game against JMU. Offensively, we have got to get better. 6 points against quality teams is not good enough even with a stout defense.

My hope is Mancuso decision making improves like Kyle Lauletta‘s did his last year.
It is either the play calling on passes or poor reads by the QB.

Not really surprised at how it played out…MVFC got all the respect. JMU fans incredulous that they didn’t get the top seed, but SOS was a killer for them.
I never thought we were deserving of the #1 seed - but it is surprising we we were listed BY THE COMMITTEE as the #1 seed 3 weeks ago, beat the #11/12 team handily, and dropped to 3. If we had been #2 I wouldn't have batted an eye, but putting Soft Houston above us? Not sure what they did to jump them over us - their SOS is worse than ours.

I never thought we were deserving of the #1 seed - but it is surprising we we were listed BY THE COMMITTEE as the #1 seed 3 weeks ago, beat the #11/12 team handily, and dropped to 3. If we had been #2 I wouldn't have batted an eye, but putting Soft Houston above us? Not sure what they did to jump them over us - their SOS is worse than ours.
As we all know the AD of Missouri State is the Chairman of FCS selection committe.Let that sink in,

FCS selection committee chair weighs in on playoff system​

Kyle Moats, the Missouri State athletic director, is installed with guiding the playoff as chair of the FCS selection committee. Like everyone else in the sport, he's hoping schools can make it through the spring semester without major problems.

Yeah, I mean look at other bubble teams:

- #13 UC Davis: Win over an Idaho team that was #19 at the time but finished 2-4 and unranked, wins over bad Cal Poly and Idaho State teams. Respectable losses to top ten teams Weber and EWU. Despite only being 3-2, I think I'd put them ahead of us. But I guess there are some reports that they may have opted out of playoffs? Haven't really looked into that.

- #16 Kennesaw: Had the advantage of a #8 ranking to start the season, and beat up on crappy teams until getting smacked around in their final game by Monmouth. Is Monmouth any good? Who knows..possibly, but hard to tell from only three games.

- #14 Missouri State: Fascinating one here...5–1 in the MVFC with three wins over ranked teams and their only loss to NDSU. But they also played three games in the fall and went 0-3 in those games. Oklahoma loss obviously doesn't count against them, but the other two losses were to a middling Central Arkansas team that only played a fall schedule. But with spring wins over SD, UNI, and SIU, I think you have to put Missouri State in.

- #18 Southern Illinois: Speaking of SIU, they're only 5-3, but have four wins over teams that were ranked at game time, including top 5 NDSU and UNI. Losses to ND and SDSU shouldn't hurt too bad, and their other one was to Missouri State. But can the MVFC get 5 in?

Murray State? ETSU? I have no idea. What a mess.
SFspidur spent more time on his analysis than the committee did.

Come on we played two weak opponents and got manhandled by JMU 26-6 that is hardly playoff worthy. We need a passing game or the fall won’t be any better
I never said we were playoff-worthy.
I see progress. On defense. Those guys are a joy to watch and they're impressive in their press interactions.

I was responding to Wood Hall's assertion that our wins don't count but our loss means the sky is falling.

I'd rather be 3-1 than 1-3 in this weird season.

I never said we were playoff-worthy.
I see progress. On defense. Those guys are a joy to watch and they're impressive in their press interactions.

I was responding to Wood Hall's assertion that our wins don't count but our loss means the sky is falling.

I'd rather be 3-1 than 1-3 in this weird season.

That was not intended to be the attitude one should have taken from my post. I said it was the feeling of the board in general, after reading the negativity after the JMU game, which had been preceded by many people simply writing off our wins as nothing more than glorified scrimmages. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I never play catch and release with a win. They are all worthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT