ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Purple(4-0,2-0)host #11 UR(3-0) +9.5 Saturday 2pm kickoff NBCSports Wash/FLO

I never thought we were deserving of the #1 seed - but it is surprising we we were listed BY THE COMMITTEE as the #1 seed 3 weeks ago, beat the #11/12 team handily, and dropped to 3. If we had been #2 I wouldn't have batted an eye, but putting Soft Houston above us? Not sure what they did to jump them over us - their SOS is worse than ours.
The committee seemed to put a good amount of emphasis on just getting games played...only getting in one game down the stretch seemed to hurt JMU.

my observation, e have made progress, but have farther to go to get to being a playoff team

Agreed. I know our fanbase is somewhat on edge because of how basketball season ended and a lot of negative comments being made but we can agree that our front 7 on defense is much improved (especially against the run) but our offense... and passing game in general need major improvement if we are going to compete for the CAA title. I do think our 3-0 record was pretty watered down this Spring. Elon missing a very good veteran qb and having to start a freshman qb is a big deal and the Tribe have been pretty average of late. Our front 7 acquitted themselves well against JMU which bodes well for next Fall but I'm really worried about this staff's ability to coach up and scheme an offense which can score enough points to compete with the best teams in the league and ultimately FCS.

By the eye test, from what I saw this year, we seemed improved. But who knows. We played three games against teams we should have beaten and we did. We played one game against a team that should have beaten us and it did. Those games didn’t really tell us much about where we actually are other than to say somewhere between pretty bad and really good.. A full CAA schedule would have made it clearer.

And especially with the divisions where we only had the opportunity to play a small number of opponents, we just didn't have a good measuring stick.

The relative lack of non-conference play also hurt. The MVFC had the benefit of a lot of respect coming into the season with a bunch of highly ranked teams, so when they beat up on each other they had lots of opportunities for quality wins without bad losses. There's no doubt the MVFC deserved respect, but without much non-conference play we didn't really get to confirm it on the field in the regular season.

And especially with the divisions where we only had the opportunity to play a small number of opponents, we just didn't have a good measuring stick.

The relative lack of non-conference play also hurt. The MVFC had the benefit of a lot of respect coming into the season with a bunch of highly ranked teams, so when they beat up on each other they had lots of opportunities for quality wins without bad losses. There's no doubt the MVFC deserved respect, but without much non-conference play we didn't really get to confirm it on the field in the regular season.
Its always good to have an AD as the Chairman of the FCS Selection Committee from a member of the MVFC that was a selected bubble team and which has Bobby Petrino as your head coach.

The defense did enough to win this game. Holding jmu to 23 points should be enough to win a game like this. We need more creativity offensively and that is by far our biggest problem. I am getting into high school coaching and am a member of several spread offense coaching circle Facebook groups and a lot of the stuff I’ve seen on there is fascinating. An offense I would look to trying to emulate is Davidson’s triple option offense out of the shotgun. It’s an option offense run in the gun instead of the typical wishbone under center style that the option is usually run out of. It is also a lot faster paced and uses the passing game more than most option offenses you would see. Davidson’s head coach is Scott Abell who as some of you remember had a son that played at UR. He would be a guy I would consult if I were Huesman and would also be a guy we should try to hire when Huesman is gone, along with VMI’s head man.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT