ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Purple(4-0,2-0)host #11 UR(3-0) +9.5 Saturday 2pm kickoff NBCSports Wash/FLO

Just spotting them some points to make it a more even game.

Loss had to be closer than 17 in order to make playoffs.CAA reps will be UD and JMU with AQ going to UD.2 FGs arent gonna do it in any game.Leaving those 8 points off the board plus missing a 1st down from JMU 33 yd line resulted in a missed 50 yd FG.

QB played as though he had been partying all last night.Offense had no sustained drives.JMU ran 20 more offensive plays and had the ball for an additional 16 mins.

Our D was on the field for way too long.

Last edited:
Loss had to be closer than 17 in order to make playoffs.CAA reps will be UD and JMU with AQ going to JMU.2 FGs arent gonna do it in any game.Leaving those 8 points off the board plus missing a 1st down from JMU 33 yd line resulted in a missed 50 yd FG.

QB played as though he had been partying all last night.Offense had no sustained drives.JMU ran 20 more offensive plays and had the ball for an additional 16 mins.

Our D was on the field for way too long.
And those are the highlights.

How many years do we need to read the same story? Defensive line is strong. Secondary a little shaky. Offense MIA? To my eyes there is a lot of talent, but without a QB that can take advantage of the rules that benefit passing...we just seem like we’re 20 years behind the trends.

I dont like sounding like a bit of a "moral victory" guy but, lets be honest about a few things:
-The last few times we have played the Pukes, we lost by 50 or 60 and it would have been worse if the Pukes did not call off the dogs. Losing by 17 is progress.
-If you'd have told me before this Spring season that we would go 3-1, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

We definitely have some things to build on for the Fall. Lets do it.

But this is the weakest No. 1 team I've seen in a long time. Better than us, for sure, but that's not the No. 1 team.

Reactions: WP02alum
I dont like sounding like a bit of a "moral victory" guy but, lets be honest about a few things:
-The last few times we have played the Pukes, we lost by 50 or 60 and it would have been worse if the Pukes did not call off the dogs. Losing by 17 is progress.
-If you'd have told me before this Spring season that we would go 3-1, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

We definitely have some things to build on for the Fall. Lets do it.
Agree, just a couple of high points

I like the D front 7 and missing one component this spring. Lot of depth that now has even more experience. The Stonewall seems to have been rebuilt. Defense held JMU to under 40 yards rushing for 3 quarters and 149 total for the game, with one play being 31 of those yards. They were averaging 250 rushing per game coming into today.
Secondary is young, they will probably have learned more today than the whole season and it will pay off I hope next week, but surely in the fall.

The RBs are all young and back for at least two years. just hope they stay healthy.

The OL also was missing a component to start the year and lost another in the first game. The depth there should be fine in the fall.

I am pretty encouraged about the progress during the spring, hope we get good news tomorrow at 11:30, but if not feel like we are back to being able to better compete in what will be a tough conference in the fall.

Going down by 10 early in the game set the tone for the rest of the game. Yes we played them closer than we have recently but their dominance continues....................

Going down by 10 early in the game set the tone for the rest of the game. Yes we played them closer than we have recently but their dominance continues....................
Our defense played admirably. It’s good enough to at least compete for a conference title. Offense right now is not able to give us the ability to play complementary football against the better teams in the league. I haven’t seen this head coach or staff do anything over the past few years that shows that we will be an explosive, creative offense. I’ll gladly eat a ton of crow if we come out averaging 45 points next Fall but I don’t foresee a lot of points against our better competition.

Don't worry next year the future looks brighter. However, we fail to meet higher expectations....

Don't worry next year the future looks brighter. However, we fail to meet higher expectations....
Maybe we can build football an indoor practice facility as well before justifying a decade missing the playoffs.

I do think our defense is strong enough to really make waves. It’s been way too long since we’ve had a decent QB. It’s unbelievable that this staff can’t develop one.

Maybe we can build football an indoor practice facility as well before justifying a decade missing the playoffs.

I do think our defense is strong enough to really make waves. It’s been way too long since we’ve had a decent QB. It’s unbelievable that this staff can’t develop one.
Just wait a bit longer! It just might happen. Still waiting after 10 years.

Front 7 really looks good but without a qb you are a car without an engine. I honestly think our better offenses under Rocco would have won this game today or at least taken them to the wire. JMU is good and talented but they are not special this year at qb. This isn’t a Rocco/Huesman debate...just saying that we are not dynamic enough on offense.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Front 7 really looks good but without a qb you are a car without an engine. I honestly think our better offenses under Rocco would have won this game today or at least taken them to the wire. JMU is good and talented but they are not special this year at qb. This isn’t a Rocco/Huesman debate...just saying that we are not dynamic enough on offense.
Is Mark Sanchez still available at QB?

I told y’all this could turn into the one sided rivalry that is Tech and uva. The losing streak is now at 5...

If you have a Defense like we will have this Fall, absent turnovers, Spiders should be in every game. Offense just needs to be efficient, not necessarily prolific (but we'd take it!).

Mancuso's decision making is improved, remains a huge run threat, but gotta get the accuracy down on routine routes

Disappointed we lost, but feel the football trajectory is positive.

Last edited:
Since there is a reduced playoffs this year. Does Hardt give Huesman credit for making it just like he gave Mooney credit for last year?

Since there is a reduced playoffs this year. Does Hardt give Huesman credit for making it just like he gave Mooney credit for last year?

I don't feel like whether we make the playoffs this spring or not is a big factor in the evaluation. That said, our performance this spring should be a pretty strong indication of how we might perform in the fall. If we can carry some momentum from this Spring into the Fall and earn a playoff bid then, i would be supportive of a couple-year extension.

Here is one more with us in.

HeroSports has us in as well.

Man, I know the bubble is weak and somebody has to get the bids, but I have a really hard time seeing us getting one. JMU is not deserving of being the #1 team and they handled us pretty easily. And our three wins are nothing to write home about.

So hard with such little data to go on, but I just don't see where we were able to make a case for a bid. We kind of just drifted up the rankings as teams lost while we were missing games, so we somehow find ourselves squarely on the bubble.

Agreed. If we make it, it's solely because of where we were ranked. And we were only ranked there because we won three games against bad teams. I hope we make it, but not sure how we could possibly be one of the best at-large options.

Here is how the top 40ish teams fared today.
Columns K and L are their W/L records. Some have opted out of the remainder of spring. I do not know if we make it or not,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT