ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 - Update

Yep. Believe Jacob is part of another outstanding class of recruits for the Spiders.

The Ulla has been doing great lately, maintaining a solid footing in reality, but was it just me who sniffed a bit of a getting carried away again mentality peaking in?

Not sayin that you are not correct, but I think a wait and see approach is more appropriate for the others. None has anywhere near the accomplishments of Jake.

Does anyone know if he goes by Jake or whether he prefers Jacob? I'll call him whatever he prefers, but Jake has a nice ring to it for a point guard. Jake and bake. Jaking and baking in the RC. I think that mayhaps we could do something a bit more creative with Jake.

Reactions: gcarter52
If you go to MOKsports.com you can ON DEMAND and watch the entire Barstow-Summitt game. Sped through it quickly but saw a very fast player in Jacob who scored most of his points with layups. Was extremely good (especially late in game) at the FT line. Getting 10 steals is big but doesn't always equate to a great defensive player. Allen Iverson comes to mind. Hopefully Jacob will get taller but more importantly stronger ASAP.

Watch the entire game and see what you think. Jeremiah Horne 6'7" from Barstow a year earlier went to Nebraska as a HS guy rated higher than Jacob and is getting 15 minutes per game in conference play. Averaging 5 points 3 rebounds a game. From what I saw no way he starts above JJ or even Solly especially if size is needed. Was going to say remote possibility he starts at PG if KF is a disaster but today's game should put that thought to rest.

Khwan is our starting PG next year. I don't think there is any doubt about that. Gilyard will get plenty of time because we are losing all of SDJ's minutes.

I believe the first reference to Jet came from visitors from KA's home area -- they came on to tell us how much we would love him

I believe the first reference to Jet came from visitors from KA's home area -- they came on to tell us how much we would love him
Don't doubt it, but first I saw it was Coach Fezz on here.

Are these the kind of things people from KA's home said about him:

Is this actually documented? I recall Jesse came in here supposedly having shot either 57 or 59% from 3 in high school.
According to the stats at time Jesse shot 57% one year after shooting 25% all other years. What we didn't know, was it 13 of 23 for an entire season?

Right, the Jesse 3-point shooting percentage was obviously not based on enough shots to be even remotely reliable or predictive. I remember seeing that % and immediately wondering what was wrong with the number. If JP was a legitimate 50% 3-point shooter he would be sniffing more than 0-1 minutes per game for us. Obviously, the 25% figure, based on many more shots, was the figure to believe.

However, Jacob has taken quite a few 3-point shots, so he is likely to be a legitimate excellent outside shooter, more along the lines of Nick, who in my mind qualifies as a GREAT outside shooter. Once Nick starts taking enough 3-point shots, and builds up his confidence, he will make a huge difference for UR. I just hope he can "catch fire" real soon, since we could really use his offense in the A-10 tourney, and hopefully in the dance, if we are allowed to dream...

Realistically though, if we get a full-team effort like the one this past Saturday, AND Nick starts to light it up, it is not dreaming to believe we can take down VCU, URI and/or Dayton. We will have more firepower and talent than any other A-10 school if all of our starters are playing to their potential, and we even get a "respectable" performance by our as-yet-unproven bench. It happened Saturday and lightning can strike twice.

Right, the Jesse 3-point shooting percentage was obviously not based on enough shots to be even remotely reliable or predictive. I remember seeing that % and immediately wondering what was wrong with the number. If JP was a legitimate 50% 3-point shooter he would be sniffing more than 0-1 minutes per game for us. Obviously, the 25% figure, based on many more shots, was the figure to believe.

However, Jacob has taken quite a few 3-point shots, so he is likely to be a legitimate excellent outside shooter, more along the lines of Nick, who in my mind qualifies as a GREAT outside shooter. Once Nick starts taking enough 3-point shots, and builds up his confidence, he will make a huge difference for UR. I just hope he can "catch fire" real soon, since we could really use his offense in the A-10 tourney, and hopefully in the dance, if we are allowed to dream...

Realistically though, if we get a full-team effort like the one this past Saturday, AND Nick starts to light it up, it is not dreaming to believe we can take down VCU, URI and/or Dayton. We will have more firepower and talent than any other A-10 school if all of our starters are playing to their potential, and we even get a "respectable" performance by our as-yet-unproven bench. It happened Saturday and lightning can strike twice.

Nick already takes 3s at a really high rate. In conference play he is taking 7.3 per 40 minutes, which leads the team by a healthy margin (TJ is taking 5.5 per 40, SDJ 4.6, and DMB 5.3). He isn't on Steph Curry's level, he was taking 11-12 3s per 40 minutes while he was at Davidson, but I also don't expect Nick to become the NBA MVP and singlehandedly change the way the game is played.

Last edited:
Once Nick starts taking enough 3-point shots, and builds up his confidence, he will make a huge difference for UR. I just hope he can "catch fire" real soon, since we could really use his offense in the A-10 tourney, and hopefully in the dance, if we are allowed to dream...

Fwiw, Nick has taken the 3rd most three point shots on the team (99) behind only TJ and SDJ (he's taken about 25% fewer than those two). He's 4th on the team in 3pt% at 32.3%. So I don't think he's not taking enough shots, he just needs to hit some more. Right now, both Julius and Marshall are shooting better from 3 than Nick. Where Nick is really effective is on 2pt shots, he's hitting 58% of those. The only person better is TJ at about 62%. JoeK is actually highest but his sample size is very small.

Nick's confidence has been growing immensely over the course of this year. Buck may be a better overall player right now but by the time their 4 years are up Nick will be the higher scorer of the two by a large margin.

#youhearditherefirst

In conference games only - since Nick has really solidified his playing time and position - Nick is shooting 36%. This is pretty solid and I believe he will only improve the rest of this year and beyond.

+1
BUT, if I had to find 5 guys to start a team with Buck would be my #1 pick because of his extreme versatility (the highest quality, most versatile player we may have ever had), unselfishness, confidence and will to win.

+1
BUT, if I had to find 5 guys to start a team with Buck would be my #1 pick because of his extreme versatility (the highest quality, most versatile player we may have ever had), unselfishness, confidence and will to win.
Agree 1000000000%.

Guys, let's be careful with talking about real life people. Allow people to out themselves if they choose.

It's not my place to tell everyone that Moliva is actually Mooney and Spinner is Dr. Cooper.
Whoops. #Catouttathebag

Guys, let's be careful with talking about real life people. Allow people to out themselves if they choose.

It's not my place to tell everyone that Moliva is actually Mooney and Spinner is Dr. Cooper.
He included his own tweet in his message, so he self outed if that is the case. BTW, I'm Rob Jones.

He included his own tweet in his message, so he self outed if that is the case. BTW, I'm Rob Jones.
He did that because there is a RPI professor named Mike with a wall full of photos connected by string that after 4 years determined his identity.

So this was Jacob as a freshman in high school; been honing these skills for several years now.

We are so fortunate to get a guy who is not only a great dribbler, but who never ever misses a shot. I have seen 6 videos now and Jacob makes every single shot he puts up. He is most definitely a day-one impact player.
The only real question (concern) that I had when I first became of aware of his shooting accuracy was why in the world would we ever let anyone else take a shot while Jacob was in the game. Then, to my great relief, I looked at videos of the other recruits and noticed that they all make every basket as well. I must say that I just can't wait till they arrive and watch them perform in the RC.
If we can just take more shots than our opponents, we will never lose.
How could we? It would be mathematically impossible.

JK, Ulla. Great find. Good work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT