ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 - Update

Given CM program history, Khwan is going to be our starting PG. We will see Gilyard doing spot duty like Ced did for Kevin Anderson, and like SDJ did for Ced. Only scenario where I see Gilyard starting is if there are injuries to our current big 3 (KF, DMB, NS).

So, if he starts, do we move Khwan to the shooting guard, because Khwan is still starting in any scenario I see. I would not mind seeing that.
yeah, agreed. Khwan's a starter for sure. Gilyard can get a lot of time even if he's off the bench. if or when he becomes a starter, Khwan's the 2. that would make us small, but a lot depends on the unknowns at the 4 and 5.
I just can't see Gilyard not starting until his junior year, so I expect Khwan and him to man the backcourt together a lot.

there was talent on the floor, but it was an all-star game showcase. 112-101. nobody was killing themselves defensively.

Gilyard's a stud anyway.
Agree, but he still made 17 out 25. How long since we have seen something like that? He will be fun to watch.

So, if he starts, do we move Khwan to the shooting guard, because Khwan is still starting in any scenario I see. I would not mind seeing that.
Yes, we do. Khwan is incredibly valuable with his defense and athleticism, he's one of only a few guys recently who has shown an ability to get to the rim for us, and that's without top-drawer ballhandling skills. It sounds like those two would make for a very speedy and troublesome backcourt, particularly against bigger/slower guards.

"The Richmond University commit, a lightning-quick 5’8” point guard, dropped a tournament-record 50 points in the title game of the Missouri Challenge."

I guess we don't have a ton of name recognition in the flyover states.
With KU (Kansas University) nearby, people out there have this mindset. Moreover, the game was played at Drury University.

With KU (Kansas University) nearby, people out there have this mindset. Moreover, the game was played at Drury University.
Perhaps, although this would suggest that no one A) asked him where he's going to play next year or B) bothered to look it up on any of the recruiting sites.

I wonder if the author would have gotten it right had they played at the University of Drury...

Agree, but he still made 17 out 25. How long since we have seen something like that? He will be fun to watch.
I guess...
13 of 16 from 2
4 of 9 from 3
12 of 13 from 1
...is ok...

It's actually the University of Kansas, which makes the whole "KU" thing even more ridiculous. The only answer I have ever heard for that is that the University of Kentucky was UK, so Kansas just flipped it. Incredibly stupid.

Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska all do the same thing.

I guess Iowa doesn't because Illinois & Indiana already have both ways covered.

"The Richmond University commit, a lightning-quick 5’8” point guard, dropped a tournament-record 50 points in the title game of the Missouri Challenge."

He shrunk down to 5'8" ? Nice to score 50 points in the final of the Missouri Boat Ride.

Last edited:
was always 5'8". probably the #1 reason he's a Spider.

Which probably means in reality, he is more like 5'7" or 5'6" ala Kendall Anthony. If Gilyard is anything like K0, he will get time on the floor his freshman year.

seems a ton like Kendall. crazy quick and incredible shooter. sounds like he has more ball skills. Kendall was always an under sized 2 guard. Jacob seems more like a point that shoots/scores.
and yeah, both were listed at 5'9" and both probably aren't.

Reactions: urfan1
seems a ton like Kendall. crazy quick and incredible shooter. sounds like he has more ball skills. Kendall was always an under sized 2 guard. Jacob seems more like a point that shoots/scores.
and yeah, both were listed at 5'9" and both probably aren't.
Hope he has Kendall's floater

I realize it's the internet and everything on there is true haha. But I did see a tweet that said he was hurt. Anyone know if it actually is true? He did RT it as well. If true, wonder how bad he is hurt

I realize it's the internet and everything on there is true haha. But I did see a tweet that said he was hurt. Anyone know if it actually is true? He did RT it as well. If true, wonder how bad he is hurt
13, saw this tweet. I am assuming if he is injured in some way that he will recover very soon.

Agreed. Kinda felt nothing major, but hope it's not one of those lingering things.

Just like the Barneys who constantly refer to us as RU on their boards. What a bunch of Dillweeds, led by the supreme JMU Dillweed HyperDuke!

Initially thought Jacob might get 15 minutes max next year but now reading this thread looks promising that it could be more than that. Although with KF getting his 33-35 minutes, Spiders lineup once again would be small. Good that Buck and KF play bigger than their size.

Initially thought Jacob might get 15 minutes max next year but now reading this thread looks promising that it could be more than that. Although with KF getting his 33-35 minutes, Spiders lineup once again would be small. Good that Buck and KF play bigger than their size.
He may still only get 15 minutes...Get his 48 points, 11 steals in that time and then sit the rest of the game...

Reactions: SpiderK
Nice young man just like his teammates and former Spiders; a major reason the Ulla adamantly supports our Spider teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Spiderman and I seem to both believe that Jacob will start at some point this season, but so far we don't seem to have a lot of company. At this point I believe that Jacob would win the PG competition if it is truly "open." If given the chance to compete for the starting spot, Jacob can absolutely win the job. As noted earlier, I just hope he is installed as the Day-1 starter now, along with Solly and Grant, so that the team can develop its chemistry and rotations before the out-of-conference season even tips off. Last season some believe that we were too slow in getting Buck and Nick in the starting line-up, and getting Wood out of it.

Hopefully, we can project the end-of season line-up in the next week or so, and get those guys lots of reps playing together.

Oldie, not necessarily disagreeing but just curious - who of Nick, Buck, Khwan would you like Gilyard to replace as starter?

Edit: just saw your answer on other thread

That would likely be Khwan.

Would probably start Buck at the 2-G (even though he could start at the 2, 3 or 4 last season), due to his great passing, and start either Nick or JJ at the SF spot. That would leave Khwan and either JJ or Nick as first off the bench, and an amazing bench that would not skip a beat when we rotated the starters. And, the top 7 guys could likely get close to equal numbers of minutes, so no player would feel "left-out." With this rotation there would not be more than 1-2 other teams in the A-10 that could rival our overall talent or bench.

I've revised my thinking, oldie. I think Jacob is good enough to start and I think he and Khwah together would be an incredible backcourt. but I don't see how it happens. he'll play a lot. but we're guard rich.

that's why I don't think we'll go as deep as some think. in order to get our starters and the 1st 2 off the bench enough minutes, there won't be many minutes left. one big guy to be determined will get them. we'll go 8 deep.

"got off to a slow start that game ... think I missed my first two shots".
LOL.
seems like another great guy I'll enjoy rooting for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT