ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 - Update

Nathan really can do a little bit of everything. Interesting that he is listed on the video as a SG/PG. Does quite a bit of ball-handling in that piece.

We all know that Jacob is absolutely exploding in his senior year, with a scoring average now of close to 33 points. He definitely reminds me of Kendall Anthony, in both size and explosiveness. Can't wait to have him on-board.

Re-watching Nathan Cayo's video highlights provides hope that he may be the second guy from our 5-man class to contribute immediately. He certainly has some nice height, some "hops," and some ball-handling ability. Also love the passes and the 3-point stroke. I wonder if any of our "in-the-know" posters may have his stats so far this year (especially his overall shooting %, his 3-point shooting % and his FT %). Those stats tend to tell a lot. His rebounding #s and assists and steals would also be great, if available.

The scoring #s I had seen so far on our center candidate (6-8 AJ Ford) had been sounding very encouraging too, with at least a couple of recent games in the 20-25-point range). I hope that whatever injuries he may have had will be short-lived. Would love to see him "blow-up" like Jacob has clearly done in his senior year.

Anybody know if Shneider and Verbinskis are showing progression in their senior years? Early results were suggesting that both were in the 10-14 points per game range, and without great shooting %s, indicating that they may be having less than stellar senior years so far...

It would really help us next season, I believe, to have a bit more high-quality depth on the roster than we currently appear to have.

I'm not saying some of the other guys won't develop into great players, but im pretty excited to see a lineup of Gilyard, Sherod, Buck, Cayo, and Golden in 3 years...

A gentle reminder that AJ Ford is also 6'8" and can also handle. Both Nathan and AJ will be major contributors, but AJ may have a little more upside in the long term.

AJ shoots right handed but is very solid dribbling with his left. Good sign.

I'll be surprised if Ford or Cayo plays more than 5 minutes a game for us next year. If I'm wrong, it means Golden is not playing.

Gilyard, on the other hand, may play 20 minutes a game.

He won't start right away, but it would be nice if he could grow into that role at some point. It wouldn't shock me to see Buck start at point for us next year, with JJ and Sherod on the wings, Solly and Grant up front.

It will be interesting to see if we end up playing as much of a 4-guard lineup next year with Solly and Golden in the mix. If Solly is more of a 4 and can defend 4s and 5s better than Buck can we may see him and Golden out there together a lot. Even so, unless they are really good, I doubt Solly and Golden are getting more than 33 minutes a game each, which leaves ~15 for either the incoming forwards or buck/sherod at the 4. If Gilyard's game translates well to college and he can make the transition quickly I can see him getting 25-30 minutes at the point, probably more as the year goes on and he adjusts (like we have seen recently with SDJ, Fore, Buck and Sherod in their freshmen seasons).

If I was going to guess minutes for next year I would say:

1/2/3:
Gilyard~30 <- not super certain, could play a lot less if he needs time to adjust
Khwan~30
Buck~20
Sherod~20
JJ~15
Other~5 <- it would be very hard for someone else to earn significant time in the backcourt

4/5:
Grant~30 <- hope he is healthy, really the only option we have at the 5 unless AJ really surprises or we somehow get a grad transfer.
Solly~30 <- really big question mark here, if he can't contribute on both ends of the court as a 4 we may see Buck eat into his minutes here
Buck~10
Other~10 <- the front court has some question marks. If we found some diamonds in the rough with Cayo, Verbinski or Schneider they may eat into Buck's or Solly's minutes at the 4. That would be a good thing, but I don't think it is very likely.

If we have a 4 good enough to keep Buck at the 3 we might have a good team next year. With Gilyard, Fore, Sherod, Buck and JJ confined to the 1-3 spots I think we could have one of the top 4 backcourts in the A10, and possibly the deepest set of quality guards. It kinda sucks that we don't have a real 4 this year, if we did and Buck could play the 3 I think we would be an NCAA team. Another year where it looks like we are just 1 player away.

He won't start right away, but it would be nice if he could grow into that role at some point. It wouldn't shock me to see Buck start at point for us next year, with JJ and Sherod on the wings, Solly and Grant up front.
That is true, Mooney won't start him out of spite (freshman), but it won't be long. Without SDJ and TJ we will need a ball handler and distributer badly.

Buck is too careless with the ball currently to play the point for us. He needs to improve his ball handling if he wants to play the point while he is here. Fore is not a great ball handler either. I don't think we have any elite ball handlers besides SDJ on our team this year, and since he is leaving next year I think it is possible Gilyard starts at the point for us day 1 next year.

Unless we get a good grad transfer I suspect we will be getting ~70% of our minutes from freshmen and sophomores next year, and 30% from juniors. We may be the youngest team in the country next season.

Last edited:
That is true, Mooney won't start him out of spite (freshman), but it won't be long. Without SDJ and TJ we will need a ball handler and distributer badly.
No reason to think mooney won't start a freshman if he's good and fills a need. We have been starting buck or nick or both all season.

Reactions: Ulla1
Buck is too careless with the ball currently to play the point for us. He needs to improve his ball handling if he wants to play the point while he is here. Fore is not a great ball handler either. I don't think we have any elite ball handlers besides SDJ on our team this year, and since he is leaving next year I think it is possible Gilyard starts at the point for us day 1 next year.

Unless we get a good grad transfer I suspect we will be getting ~70% of our minutes from freshmen and sophomores next year, and 30% from juniors. We may be the youngest team in the country next season.
Hey!!! We agree on something!!! :)

Way too early prediction for next year but by the time conference play begins I see Fore and Gilyard starting in the backcourt, Buck and Sherod the wings and Golden at center. JJ, Solly and Kirby off the bench.

I think there is a good chance one other freshman besides Gilysrd plays significant minutes --- will have to see how things evolve during the offseason.

Reactions: SpiderK
We may have to prepare ourselves for the possibility that Golden may not come back. It may be a small percentage, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Some may recall that Chris Chiozza (SP?) was a Spider recruit who "almost" came here before the call from Florida. My guess is that he was even leaning our way, but the attraction of the SEC got his attention.

Jacob and Chris definitely have a lot in common, including their size, ball-handling skills, and speed. We are fortunate to have a guy like Jacob arriving at the same time that SDJ graduates. We will be able to use the extra ball-handler (and shooter) for sure... Welcome Jacob!

Chris Chiozza with a triple double for Florida tonight. Gilyard reminds me a lot of Chiozza.
You're right. According to the Rivals site, both were 5'9" and ca. 170lbs. in high school. Note that Chiozza is now listed on the UF site as 6' (right!).
Chris Chiozza highlights:

Jacob Gilyard highlights:

That's what I said earlier and got my A chewed by all the omniscient ones on the board. Ha!
Yeah I mean anyone who looks objectively at fore, buck and sherod will realize they are not gifted ball handlers. Gilyard will show up for the first day of practice next year and be the best ball handler on the team. We will need him to fill shawndre's roll next year. He may not "start" right away but he will be playing starter's minutes

Love the look of Gilyard's game and skill level. Really think he will do well at UR.
On a cautionary note, I really liked the looks of Chiozza and Stevie Taylor too. Stevie i believe turned down offers from us and Dayton, going to Ohio U. Had a solid career, but nothing spectacular - averaging 7.5 points as a senior. Chiozza doing fine at Fla, but only averaging 6 points on low %. The question always is, does the ability in h.s. convert to the high D1 level that is the A10?
On the flip side, we have been able to utilize the diminutive guards well and they have thrived. Maybe Chiozza and Taylor would have been stars at Richmond. I certainly was very hopeful that we would get Taylor, his h.s. and AAU video looked pretty darn good too.

Reactions: urfan1
Mooney is great with recruiting and developing guards, so I think Gilyard is going to have a really nice career here. He is a bit taller than Kendall Anthony but that comparison is what I am seeing. A guy with a great handle but also a prolific scorer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT