ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 - Update

Where is that school, Chicago? Is he wearing a bullet proof vest? Kidding, I have never seen anyone practice with a weight vest on.

The guard in this video was our backup in case Jacob did not sign with us despite the fact that he makes only 99% of his shots. He no longer dribbles like this because he was given a "T" by the official. Anyone know the rule which causes such dribbling to constitute a technical foul?

Nebraska freshman Jeriah Horne, a 6'7" kid from Gilyard's HS who we recruited, just announced he is transferring..

Imagine if we had a couple of guys who were not happy with their PT and were to decide to transfer. And, imagine if Horne were a friend of Gilyard and were to decide to transfer to UR along with the kid from Randolph-Macon, who scored 17 PPG and 8 RPG this past season.

In this hypothetical world, these two events just might make a difference in our depth and prospects for the next couple of years... However, we need the openings before we can effectively fill them... It is interesting to speculate though, as the season comes closer to an up-beat ending.

Reactions: iSpider
Well, in all fairness it would seem like someone is leaving based on all the grad transfer chatter. Of course this is all speculation from message board posters.
What grad transfer chatter do you refer to? If it's the chatter on this board, I think you shouldn't equate wishful thinking to rumor, much less fact.

He is also now a 3* on verbal commits, like Buck and Sherod were. I don't remember if he was a 3* earlier or not.

He is also now a 3* on verbal commits, like Buck and Sherod were. I don't remember if he was a 3* earlier or not.
He was definitely a 3 star on either verbal commits or 247, but can't remember if both before, definitely is now.
Finishes high school career 103-14...

Jesse P was a 3 star and TJ Cline was a 2 star so ultimately it(the star system) is pretty non-indicative of future success.

On the aggregate, the star system is generally a pretty decent indicator. On an individual level, of course there's a lot of volatility and it's impossible to absolutely project how guys will develop in school.

Exactly, there will always be busts and overachievers at every level. The more stars a player has the more likely they are to be good, but it is not a guarantee.

Here is a graph I posted here last year I believe. It shows how the average star rating of recruits on a team translates to on-the-court and post-season success. If you want to consistently make the NCAA tournament your average recruit needs to be ~3*.

This was an earlier post by the Ulla. Yep, 48% from three point range.
Jesse's stats showed 25%, then 25%, then 57% over 3 seasons.
I doubt that Jacob has that disparity, so I would think his stats are much more reliable.

Let's hope moving back a foot in college doesn't drop that too much.

averaged 33 ppg this year. he's a 5'9" one man show on an average team facing box and one and even triangle and two defenses focused on him. no way the 48% is on a small sample. you've seen his workout videos. he can shoot the lights out.
Kendall was really a small shooting guard. Jacob is a real PG ... who can shoot like Kendall.

averaged 33 ppg this year. he's a 5'9" one man show on an average team facing box and one and even triangle and two defenses focused on him. no way the 48% is on a small sample. you've seen his workout videos. he can shoot the lights out.
Kendall was really a small shooting guard. Jacob is a real PG ... who can shoot like Kendall.
Not sure how average that team is at 21-6 (and this seems to be there worst year since he has been there). Besides Gilyard there is another Horne on the team plus maybe another player or two that get mentioned.
Not that I am concerned about his shooting or that I think anyone else should be.

I don't know the team. never seen a HS team that had one kid average 33 and had other great players with him though. and lose 6 games. could be a heck of a league.

I don't think he had much support around him this season. Prior to this season he was more of a distributor because he had guys around him like Horne. Horne was a year older and played at Nebraska this past year.

This year he was the main scoring option this year. His team averaged just under 71 points and he scored ~33 of them (nearly 50%). He scored about 900 points this year and over 2000 for his 4 year career.

Congratulations to Gilyard on your latest award. I predict him to be the next Frank Mason of the University of Richmond!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT