ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Gilyard - 2017 - Update

Speaking of point guards, why is it that with when we have the ball with less than 30 seconds left, we let the clock run down to 9 or 10 seconds, spread the offense, then without fail give Dre the ball to drive to the rim? I have seen this happen time after time. It never works. Everyone in the area knows what is coming. Shouldn't we look into another play? Maybe have him drive and pass it out for a 3 pointer?
I realize it worked in the past with other PGs, but it just does not work with Dre. Why would Mooney continue with this play?

Last edited:
Speaking of point guards, why is it that with when we have the ball with less than 30 seconds left, we let the clock rung down to 9 or 10 seconds, spread the offense, then without fail give Dre the ball to drive to the rim? I have seen this happen time after time. It never works. Everyone in the area knows what is coming. Shouldn't we look into another play? Maybe have him drive and pass it out for a 3 pointer?
I realize it worked in the past with other PGs, but it just does not work with Dre. Why would Mooney continue with this play?

Agreed. I'm all for holding for the last shot because I like the situation of us having a chance to score and them having no chance. But we run this same iso play for Shawndre almost every time and I cannot remember it working once this year.

Agreed. I'm all for holding for the last shot because I like the situation of us having a chance to score and them having no chance. But we run this same iso play for Shawndre almost every time and I cannot remember it working once this year.
I would simply like to see us start our offense when the clock starts, period. The whole "wait until there's only ten seconds" creates fewer quality options to score, just run your offense and be mindful of the clock.

No doubt his numbers are impressive but only viewing the one vid saw mostly blowing by defenders for layups with few jumpers? Wondering also about the competition? Maybe he still gets by college defenders but can he score over opponents big men protecting the rim?

KF hopefully gets better at the point but with CM's offense it appears just as important GG takes over adequately for TJ. KF can score, play D and rebound. No way I see Jacob starting over him. Hopefully Jacob is good enough to get 15 minutes a game.

And if say JG does start with KF, Buck, Nick, and GG then being able to rebound well enough to compete night-in night-out will be an issue. Bad wording in saying previously team was SOFT but probably appropriate to say team will be UNDERSIZED.

No doubt his numbers are impressive but only viewing the one vid saw mostly blowing by defenders for layups with few jumpers? Wondering also about the competition? Maybe he still gets by college defenders but can he score over opponents big men protecting the rim?

KF hopefully gets better at the point but with CM's offense it appears just as important GG takes over adequately for TJ. KF can score, play D and rebound. No way I see Jacob starting over him. Hopefully Jacob is good enough to get 15 minutes a game.

And if say JG does start with KF, Buck, Nick, and GG then being able to rebound well enough to compete night-in night-out will be an issue. Bad wording in saying previously team was SOFT but probably appropriate to say team will be UNDERSIZED.

It doesn't matter who is starting, we are not going to be a good rebounding team. This year in the A10 the shortest team is the best rebounding team (GMU) and their 2nd shortest player is their best rebounder (Moore).

It doesn't matter who is starting, we are not going to be a good rebounding team. This year in the A10 the shortest team is the best rebounding team (GMU) and their 2nd shortest player is their best rebounder (Moore).

I understand that but don't want the team to so BAD at rebounding (defensively) that team can't reached it's maxed potential. GM situation is such a rarity and if CM was their coach we both know they wouldn't be close to the best A10 rebounding team.

This year in the A10 the shortest team is the best rebounding team )

Went further into your above stat and maybe put too much blame on CM's lack of teaching how to box out in my post. Coach Paulsen it appears should get the credit for GM's rebounding success.

Nationally last season GM was ranked #2 in defensive rebounding while being #185 in height. Presently in 2017 they are #34 while being a short team at #328 nationally. Great job Dave or possibly we need to steal an assistant coach from them?

Doesn't someone need to take over for SJ? If JG replaces SJ, does that makes us much more undersized than we already are?

Doesn't someone need to take over for SJ? If JG replaces SJ, does that makes us much more undersized than we already are?

1) KF is the guy and like I mentioned previously in CM's system GG taking over for TJ might have greater priority.

2) If JG replaces SJ, then UR continues to get manhandled on the boards by P5/6 squads along with the A10 teams possessing strong front court personnel.

Kwan Fore has a lot of work to do. His ball handling and passing are both below par if you want to win against decent competition. He is not a pure shooter either. More explosive and quicker on defense than Jones yes, but he is going to have to improve substantially to be considered one of the best guards in the A-10.

I suspect that Gilyard is going to get a lot of time early. I won't be surprised if he plays starter minutes shortly into the season.

Speaking of point guards, why is it that with when we have the ball with less than 30 seconds left, we let the clock rung down to 9 or 10 seconds, spread the offense, then without fail give Dre the ball to drive to the rim? I have seen this happen time after time. It never works. Everyone in the area knows what is coming. Shouldn't we look into another play? Maybe have him drive and pass it out for a 3 pointer?

I agree double ball screen never fouble creates more difficulty to guard i suggest sherod and cline to screen

Kwan Fore has a lot of work to do. His ball handling and passing are both below par if you want to win against decent competition. He is not a pure shooter either. More explosive and quicker on defense than Jones yes, but he is going to have to improve substantially to be considered one of the best guards in the A-10.

I suspect that Gilyard is going to get a lot of time early. I won't be surprised if he plays starter minutes shortly into the season.
Good points. If KF takes the point full time, he will have to learn to shoot free throws. I think he is still in the 50's% and Davidson was looking to foul him tonight. His form is not that bad, just needs to concentrate. I see JG playing a lot by the middle of the year.

Won't it be nice to have two guys, both very good, who can give one another respites during the game. Let's hope our other guys will be really good and Coach can freely substitute. That's what is lacking now.

Reactions: SpiderK
If KF takes the point full time, he will have to learn to shoot free throws. I think he is still in the 50's% and Davidson was looking to foul him tonight.

Yes he will but plays so much bigger than his actual size. Got stuff a few times last night going all the way to the basket, just needs to learn to stop for a 10' jumper at times. And he's at 61% for the year but in A10 play his FT% is at 71. Showing improvement already.

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
What still has me confused is that if this year we start Fore, Jones, Buck, Sherod, Cline,
And next year Golden replaces Cline, while Fore replaces Jones...

It will look odd starting Fore, Fore, Buck, Sherod, Golden...

Which is why I think Gilyard, Johnson, or Stansbury replaces Jones in the starting lineup.

Good points. If KF takes the point full time, he will have to learn to shoot free throws. I think he is still in the 50's% and Davidson was looking to foul him tonight. His form is not that bad, just needs to concentrate. I see JG playing a lot by the middle of the year.
KF is shooting about 61% at the stripe now, which is a vast improvement from OOC. His form is fine, I think he was just in his head earlier this year.

His ballhandling is not optimal. His turnovers are actually relatively low considering how much he handles the ball but his A/TO rate is not what one might expect of a true PG. Of course in our system he is in reality a secondary ball handler to our "2G" who in fact has more turnovers.

The thing I like about khwan is that he is one of few UR guys who can really get to the rim. Shawndre handles it better and is more clever about stutter steps and ballfakes when he gets to the paint but khwan has much greater capacity to actually get to the rim and is more likely to draw fouls. This is really critical if we are facing a quality 4/5 that we want to get in foul trouble or otherwise soften up.

Whiling a way the hours...dreaming of success....
And then I drank some of the Ulla's kool aid and thus:

The lineup I see next year by midseason has a rotation of 8 players.
The starters will be Jake, Kwan, Buck, Nick, and Grant.
Early off the bench and contributing substantially will be JJ, Solly, and Nathan.

JK will be a contributor not only because he will be a senior, but also because of the spark he brings to the game. He will be the only true player on the team who has demonstrated that he can bring us back on course when we are down. And his skill set is pretty good as well. A friend mentioned him as a "Bobby Ukrop" type, and that Ukrop also came off the bench as our 6th man and was often the critical spark to our victories back in the day.That was before my time, but my friend was insistent upon the analogy. You older gentlemen can make your own assessment as to the validity of the analogy. FRS, even your remembrance of Bobby Ukrop would be appreciated.

The rotation may go 9 deep if we bring in a graduate transfer or if another incoming freshman develops more rapidly than expected, but I don't think that there much of a possibility of those scenarios.

I don't see JP leaving since he not be a senior until after next year, but I do see PF doing the senior transfer thing after next year so that he can participate and test his skills at a school where he will be a better fit. He will already have his Richmond degree so I don't see him hanging around to warm the bench. If I were JP, I would redshirt next year so that I could follow the graduate transfer rule for he same reasons as Paul and get a paid year of meaningful contributions to another team to bolster his resume.

I also see three redshirts (Schneider, Ford, Verbinski) from our incoming class which will even out the 2017-2018 class with Grant and another incoming frosh making that class consist of five freshman, eligibility wise. I fully expect Schneider, Ford and Verbinski to be major contributors before they graduate, but not as soon as next year.

As for Grant, I am sorry that he had his medical problem, both personally and as a fan. However, looking at the silver lining, with an additional year to develop and learn the system, I see him a major contributor next year. (25 minutes, 10-12 points, a good number of assists and rebounds). He may not equal TJ's standards by next year but he will be good. By his senior year, I see him as a star. If his brother, Bryce (Bryce Golden (Class of 2019) chooses to join us, I see them both as dynamic by the time Grant is a junior. We will have other marquee players, but those two will be "Golden" and, as does the cream, rise to the top.

If the foregoing occurs, and assuming we develop our players as expected, we should contend for postseason play in consecutive years after next year. We should also have the cupboard well stocked for the next four years. Additionally, as it stands now, we have 4 openings for 2019. If we can land a few more meaningful contributors, we'd be good for a long time. There is a 6'9" superstar at Trinity Episcopal named Armando Bacot (Class of 2019) who has been offered by several teams in the ACC and SEC. We are also pursuing him and seem to have made some inroads. If, by some miracle, we could land him, with the talent we already have, we would immediately jump to the next level. I don't have substantiated reasons to believe that we will land Armando, but I do know that our coaches are in close contact with him. Hopefully, Armando will see the benefits of staying at home, like Nick and Buck, and come on board. If so, he will be our most highly touted recruit since the Great Flood.
We are also pursuing a highly rated guard out of Chesterfield, Rasir Bolton (Class of 2018). I do not have much information on Rasir, but I believe him to be very good and I understand that our staff is in close contact with him.

2017- 2018 (Next Year)
Starters: Kwan, Jake, Nick, Buck, Grant
OTB: Solly, JJ, JK, Nathan Redshirts: Ford, Schneider, Verbinski)

2018-2019
OTB: Solly, JJ, Nathan, Schneider, Verbinski, Ford

2019-2020
Starters: Jake, Buck, Nick, Armando, Grant, Bryce (Nick and Buck with equal minutes, alternate as starters
OTB: Nathan, Ford, Schneider, Verbinski (bring in 3 additional recruits. perhaps, Rasir Bolton (Class of 2018 ) from Chesterfield County attending Huntington Prep. St Josephs, a 3.5 star recruit)

2020-2021
Starters: Jake, Nathan, Armando, Grant, Bryce (possibly new recruit, Rasir Bolton)
OTB: (Ford, Schneider, Verbinski and other recruits)

I really like 2019-2020 and 2020-2021- We will be long, athletic up front and a terrific back court. First time in several years that I can remember that happening.

BTW, as for Bacot, Golden and Bolton, I ask those of you who think that I am being totally unreal or overly optimistic, to pause for a second and think about our current dilemma. Isn't what I have suggested truly the type of recruiting Coach Mooney has to do to bring us to the level we desire? So if it is unreal or overly optimistic, then I would deduce that we will be facing the same level of mediocrity we have experienced for the last 4 or 5 years, and I would conclude that such is just fine with us...or the powers that be. Please tell me where I am wrong and where the logic fails. I stand ready and willing to be corrected.

While the foregoing is my hope for where we are headed, it is probably laden with errors. Please let me know where and I will revise this post accordingly.

Reactions: SpiderER
Whiling a way the hours...dreaming of success....
And then I drank some of the Ulla's kool aid and thus:

The lineup I see next year by midseason has a rotation of 8 players.
The starters will be Jake, Kwan, Buck, Nick, and Grant.
Early off the bench and contributing substantially will be JJ, Solly, and Nathan.

JK will be a contributor not only because he will be a senior, but also because of the spark he brings to the game. He will be the only true player on the team who has demonstrated that he can bring us back on course when we are down. And his skill set is pretty good as well. A friend mentioned him as a "Bobby Ukrop" type, and that Ukrop also came off the bench as our 6th man and was often the critical spark to our victories back in the day.That was before my time, but my friend was insistent upon the analogy. You older gentlemen can make your own assessment as to the validity of the analogy. FRS, even your remembrance of Bobby Ukrop would be appreciated.

The rotation may go 9 deep if we bring in a graduate transfer or if another incoming freshman develops more rapidly than expected, but I don't think that there much of a possibility of those scenarios.

I don't see JP leaving since he not be a senior until after next year, but I do see PF doing the senior transfer thing after next year so that he can participate and test his skills at a school where he will be a better fit. He will already have his Richmond degree so I don't see him hanging around to warm the bench. If I were JP, I would redshirt next year so that I could follow the graduate transfer rule for he same reasons as Paul and get a paid year of meaningful contributions to another team to bolster his resume.

I also see three redshirts (Schneider, Ford, Verbinski) from our incoming class which will even out the 2017-2018 class with Grant and another incoming frosh making that class consist of five freshman, eligibility wise. I fully expect Schneider, Ford and Verbinski to be major contributors before they graduate, but not as soon as next year.

As for Grant, I am sorry that he had his medical problem, both personally and as a fan. However, looking at the silver lining, with an additional year to develop and learn the system, I see him a major contributor next year. (25 minutes, 10-12 points, a good number of assists and rebounds). He may not equal TJ's standards by next year but he will be good. By his senior year, I see him as a star. If his brother, Bryce (Bryce Golden (Class of 2019) chooses to join us, I see them both as dynamic by the time Grant is a junior. We will have other marquee players, but those two will be "Golden" and, as does the cream, rise to the top.

If the foregoing occurs, and assuming we develop our players as expected, we should contend for postseason play in consecutive years after next year. We should also have the cupboard well stocked for the next four years. Additionally, as it stands now, we have 4 openings for 2019. If we can land a few more meaningful contributors, we'd be good for a long time. There is a 6'9" superstar at Trinity Episcopal named Armando Bacot (Class of 2019) who has been offered by several teams in the ACC and SEC. We are also pursuing him and seem to have made some inroads. If, by some miracle, we could land him, with the talent we already have, we would immediately jump to the next level. I don't have substantiated reasons to believe that we will land Armando, but I do know that our coaches are in close contact with him. Hopefully, Armando will see the benefits of staying at home, like Nick and Buck, and come on board. If so, he will be our most highly touted recruit since the Great Flood.
We are also pursuing a highly rated guard out of Chesterfield, Rasir Bolton (Class of 2018). I do not have much information on Rasir, but I believe him to be very good and I understand that our staff is in close contact with him.

2017- 2018 (Next Year)
OTB: Solly, JJ, JK, Nathan Redshirts: Ford, Schneider, Verbinski)

2018-2019
OTB: Solly, JJ, Nathan, Schneider, Verbinski, Ford

2019-2020
Starters: Jake, Buck, Nick, Armando, Grant, Bryce (Nick and Buck with equal minutes, alternate as starters
OTB: Nathan, Ford, Schneider, Verbinski (bring in 3 additional recruits. perhaps, Rasir Bolton (Class of 2018 ) from Chesterfield County attending Huntington Prep. St Josephs, a 3.5 star recruit)

2020-2021
Starters: Jake, Nathan, Armando, Grant, Bryce (possibly new recruit, Rasir Bolton)
OTB: (Ford, Schneider, Verbinski and other recruits)

I really like 2019-2020 and 2020-2021- We will be long, athletic up front and a terrific back court. First time in several years that I can remember that happening.

BTW, as for Bacot, Golden and Bolton, I ask those of you who think that I am being totally unreal or overly optimistic, to pause for a second and think about our current dilemma. Isn't what I have suggested truly the type of recruiting Coach Mooney has to do to bring us to the level we desire? So if it is unreal or overly optimistic, then I would deduce that we will be facing the same level of mediocrity we have experienced for the last 4 or 5 years, and I would conclude that such is just fine with us...or the powers that be. Please tell me where I am wrong and where the logic fails. I stand ready and willing to be corrected.

While the foregoing is my hope for where we are headed, it is probably laden with errors. Please let me know where and I will revise this post accordingly.

I really hope Buck isn't our 4 for the next 2/3 years. That means more years of recruiting failure and likely no NCAA bids. Buck has done a fine job with the situation he has been given, and it is a big asset to have players like him who can guard 1-4 (though taller players can shoot over him), but if he is still the 4 it means Mooney has failed to bring in quality forward talent. That is not a recipe for success.

Right now Buck and Nick play about 50% of the minutes at the 4/5 (mostly at the 4, but sometimes we have no one over 6'4 on the court, which is crazy.) That number needs to go down if we want success. The lower that % gets, the more forward talent we have, the more successful our team will be. I like our talent at the 1-3 for the next 2/3 years, but we need to hit the lottery on some of these forward recruits if we want to be an at-large quality team.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I really hope Buck isn't our 4 for the next 2/3 years. That means more years of recruiting failure and likely no NCAA bids. Buck has done a fine job with the situation he has been given, and it is a big asset to have players like him who can guard 1-4 (though taller players can shoot over him), but if he is still the 4 it means Mooney has failed to bring in quality forward talent. That is not a recipe for success.

Right now Buck and Nick play about 50% of the minutes at the 4/5 (mostly at the 4, but sometimes we have no one over 6'4 on the court, which is crazy.) That number needs to go down if we want success. The lower that % gets, the more forward talent we have, the more successful our team will be. I like our talent at the 1-3 for the next 2/3 years, but we need to hit the lottery on some of these forward recruits if we want to be an at-large quality team.
Completely agree.

Unable to get a percentage, but was told that his three point shooting was "money".

That's encouraging. I hope that someone can find that stat to verify it.
If memory serves, all of our stellar point guards over the last 10 years seem to have had an above average 3 point shooting percentage. If JG were simply depending on driving to the rim to score, which he can probably do with ease in high school, I think that we'd all be disappointed because it will be much more difficult in the A10 than against the competition he now faces. Also the threat of a 3 point shot will force others out to guard him allowing us to spread the floor and providing him with lanes to the rim when he is able to dribble past the person guarding him, which seems to be one of his current fortes. If other defenders collapse on him, he hopefully will be able to spot an open teammate rather than go up against players 6-10 inches taller.

I agree like 97 also but didn't you mention earlier how great GM was at rebounding even though they were such a small team? So sounds like you agree with me Richmond can't reach optimum success with a small squad. Small squad that can't rebound = unlikely to make the NCAA tourny.

Tell y'all what, Jacob Gilyard looks like a stud. Guy has limitless range and will put up a three from anywhere past half court. He's going to be big time for us.

Tell y'all what, Jacob Gilyard looks like a stud. Guy has limitless range and will put up a three from anywhere past half court. He's going to be big time for us.

I agree like 97 also but didn't you mention earlier how great GM was at rebounding even though they were such a small team? So sounds like you agree with me Richmond can't reach optimum success with a small squad. Small squad that can't rebound = unlikely to make the NCAA tou
That's encouraging. I hope that someone can find that stat to verify it.
If memory serves, all of our stellar point guards over the last 10 years seem to have had an above average 3 point shooting percentage. If JG were simply depending on driving to the rim to score, which he can probably do with ease in high school, I think that we'd all be disappointed because it will be much more difficult in the A10 than against the competition he now faces. Also the threat of a 3 point shot will force others out to guard him allowing us to spread the floor and providing him with lanes to the rim when he is able to dribble past the person guarding him, which seems to be one of his current fortes. If other defenders collapse on him, he hopefully will be able to spot an open teammate rather than go up against players 6-10 inches taller.
I believe that Gil game is on psr with Frank Mason of Kansas.

rny.
I tell you whst, Gilyard reminds me Mason of Kansas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT