ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Basketball sole Possessionof 1st Place

2 tough games coming up with Rhode Island and Davidson (Dayton in there in between I think). if the women can get to 7-0 or 6-1 to start the A10 - they are looking good for a possible bid and NCAA conversation.

Reactions: urfan1
Dayton is after the Davidson game.

Odds are against sweeping two solid opponents (one on the road), so 1–1 would be solid, 2–0 of course fantastic.

Davidson is very good, but getting housed by Mason yesterday leaves me scratching my head. I didn't spot any obvious explanation like a key player(s) being out.

Right - I was putting down Dayton as a W, then got to go 1-1 in the Davidson and URI games. But our girls team can shoot. Shooting 38% as a team and almost half their attempts are from 3 point land.

Spiders up 6 at the half! Not shooting terribly well from outside, but okay overall. Townsend leading with 15 (3-for-8 from deep) and 6 boards.

Winning the battle of the boards, partly thanks to URI not shooting well, so lots of defensive ones to be had. Turnovers an issue again though with 12 in the half. Clean those up and it's a runaway.

Lead got down to 2, but Spiders pushed it back to 6 at the end of the third. Townsend and Hill with 19 each. Finish it off!

Reactions: mr.spider
Spiders up 6 at the half! Not shooting terribly well from outside, but okay overall. Townsend leading with 15 (3-for-8 from deep) and 6 boards.

Winning the battle of the boards, partly thanks to URI not shooting well, so lots of defensive ones to be had. Turnovers an issue again though with 12 in the half. Clean those up and it's a runaway.
It feels like they could cut the TOs in half if they would stay at home and not TRAVEL so much.

We're awful against the press and fouled a 3 point shooter under 2 minutes.

Still at arm’s length, but this is maddening. Can’t wait to see the Roussell press conference after this.

How bad is that? Foul with no time off the clock. Going to need to hit free throws.

71–67 Spider victory. Should have been double digits, easy. That final quarter was horrific other than foul shooting.

Regarding turnovers, I saw more phantom traveling calls in this game than ever before. The guy sitting near me and I had a running conversation about how ridiculous a lot of the calls were - and that applies to both teams.

If this officiating crew called a men's game the final score would be something like 10-6 since virtually every possession would end with a traveling call.

Roussell more positive than I expected. He obviously knew this was going to be a really tough game, so as long as they come away with the W, it cures all. Seems like he was happy with the way they handled several facets of the game, particularly the rebounding. I really enjoy his press conferences...down to earth, positive yet realistic, keeps everything in perspective, etc.

Reactions: mr.spider
Roussell more positive than I expected. He obviously knew this was going to be a really tough game, so as long as they come away with the W, it cures all. Seems like he was happy with the way they handled several facets of the game, particularly the rebounding. I really enjoy his press conferences...down to earth, positive yet realistic, keeps everything in perspective, etc.

Yes. His press conferences and interviews are really good! He is a really good person and coach. Easy to talk with and really appreciative of all fan support. Love that the team stays out and greets fans after the games, too.

It was noted on the press conference about both our men's and women's home success. I looked it up, and we are one of 13 programs whose men's and women's teams are undefeated at home!!

Oh, and congrats to Townsend on hitting 1,000 career points. She's also second in program history in assists (no chance of catching the record held by Koclanes). Not bad for a former walk-on!
had chance to speak with her parents nice people. Said she had offers when got the PWO to Richmond, even though local had never been on campus and feel in love when came to visit. Decided to take the chance as a PWO. Also said may have one more year eligibility, not sure how. But law school may be in her future. Suggested at right time make sure to speak with coach

Spiders only move up one spot in the NET to 51. Still tops in the A-10 with Mason right behind at 52.

Huge game Wednesday at #59 Davidson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT