ADVERTISEMENT

W&M Fires Tony Shafer after 16 Seasons

Maybe Princeton has some good assistants since they have been a run the past 2 years. But I think being an assistant at the top Ivy League school might be better than W&M head job.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Agreed EL. Another false narrative from the Mooney truthers. Its like What if we fire mooney and the next guy kills someone or gets arrested or whatever. Settle for average.
Just to clarify, you were for the billboard, before you were against it. Four years later, are you a Mooney truther or a Mooney denier, or both at the same time? Just curious.

Just to clarify, you were for the billboard, before you were against it. Four years later, are you a Mooney truther or a Mooney denier, or both at the same time? Just curious.
Depends on the day. He has a chance to make up for some some of his blunders - see BC, see UNI - earlier in the season. As noted, we are going to see the Jordan Rules on Thursday - hoping he has us prepared.

That was missing this season…he’s 96–103 overall. This was the first time in 8 years he’s been above .500 in Ivy play.

Reactions: urfan1
That was missing this season…he’s 96–103 overall. This was the first time in 8 years he’s been above .500 in Ivy play.

7 years. Hasn’t been below .500 last 3. Trending up at Cornell.

U can win at Cornell but 2nd tier to Princeton/Yale it’s not easy to put up crazy W-L records either.

Bottom line W&M got a sitting head coach from a better program. Not sure what u guys were expecting. W&M hard job but they can pay better esp now and I think Earl is solid for them. Plus they love the Ivy pedigree there, kinda like us.

Thanks, yep, I meant 7 seasons…must have been off target typing on my phone.

Agree it’s a hard job. He had a good season and may do well there, not discounting that. Not sure who else would have been a good option.

I generally like guys who have been consistent winners, and taking that long to have a winning record among peers gives me pause. Of course, Shaver was a big time winner prior to landing there and couldn’t get them over the hump.

NABC Coach of the Year for his district ... like Mooney.
seems like a good choice for W&M. at least he's been a HC.

Reactions: urfan1
I see we are keeping this 7 page thread about William and Marys coaching status alive 😜
well the thread started in 2019 two coaches ago!

I assume W&M had to conduct a national search for DEI purposes, right? seems a pretty quick hire in less than 2 weeks. maybe that's normal?

Apparently Moon helped counsel Brian Earl on taking W&M job. Also props for calling him ‘Moon’ in the article.

This hire has been lauded all over the media. I think SF and spidernation cronies r only ones against it.

Yes, I know he will bring this post up in 4 or 5 years!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT