ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

Tyler was and never will be an NBA player, way too many holes in his game. Yeah, he has elite athletic ability (as does pretty much every NBA player), but his handle and shot are not close to NBA level. This is not a knock on Tyler, he was a great college player for us, but just the reality of his game and the type of skills you need to play in the NBA.
Watched lots of Nova this year cause of Tyler. Agree with this take .... also could be wrong but wasn't a good man-up defender. Unfortunately coaching didn't help him. Thinking if Jay W (hard to follow) was there, improvement occurring from Tyler and the team too.

Team slightly underachieved under Neptune last season, but more so this season with quality transfers like Bamba, Hart, and Tyler along with good core. Not a deep bench but Wright never relied on it either with slow-tempo style of play.

Difficult not to wonder if surprising Spiders could have even been better with Tyler still here? We saw Dji ball handling more than sufficient, but liked to have seen starting lineup of him at 2 with Tyler and Bigs.

If Burton takes that 500K and invests in the stock market, he will have over 8 million by the time he is 55 (assuming similar rate of return over the past 30 years). That's why you take the $$$.

Tyler was and never will be an NBA player, way too many holes in his game. Yeah, he has elite athletic ability (as does pretty much every NBA player), but his handle and shot are not close to NBA level. This is not a knock on Tyler, he was a great college player for us, but just the reality of his game and the type of skills you need to play in the NBA.

I'm sure he can earn decent $$$ playing overseas though and doubt his one mediocre year at Nova impacts that greatly. Plus, he has a nice nest egg for his future.

I return to the thing that made me cringe the most in the last few years of being a Spider fan. There was a quote--and I'm sure I'm paraphrasing a bit- from the beginning of last year when O'Connor or Black or someone asked Tyler what he focused on during the summer, his response was "My leadership".

My immediate reaction, in real time, was: "well, it should have been your ballhandling".

If that dude would just do the Steph Curry ballhandling warmup routine 3 times a day between now and Christmas, he'll make himself millions more in career earnings. He just never got better at dribbling, and it really limits him offensively.

Reactions: coach fezz
Agree mostly kneepad. But I bet he has put in hours, just like Jaylen Brown. Some guys just have that inherent ability to be fine tuned. Everyone can improve obviously. I watched a lot of Dell Curry growing up. As hard as they worked at it, Steph and Seth were born with a ton of ability. I always thought Dell was the smoothest shooter when he was at Tech.

I return to the thing that made me cringe the most in the last few years of being a Spider fan. There was a quote--and I'm sure I'm paraphrasing a bit- from the beginning of last year when O'Connor or Black or someone asked Tyler what he focused on during the summer, his response was "My leadership".

My immediate reaction, in real time, was: "well, it should have been your ballhandling".

If that dude would just do the Steph Curry ballhandling warmup routine 3 times a day between now and Christmas, he'll make himself millions more in career earnings. He just never got better at dribbling, and it really limits him offensively.
this is correct Mr Kneepad He could not dribble Why wouldn't any assistant coach say to him Every day you WILL work very very hard with me to be better ? Everyone could see his poor dribbling . But I am very glad he got good beer money from Villanova ! Na zdravie !!

Reactions: whampas
Agree mostly kneepad. But I bet he has put in hours, just like Jaylen Brown. Some guys just have that inherent ability to be fine tuned. Everyone can improve obviously. I watched a lot of Dell Curry growing up. As hard as they worked at it, Steph and Seth were born with a ton of ability. I always thought Dell was the smoothest shooter when he was at Tech.

I do not question for one second that Tyler was an extremely dedicated and hard worker. I just wonder why this was not focus #1, 2, and 3. It was painfully obvious to me that it was the one thing really holding him back.

And I feel compelled to reiterate that I thought Tyler was a great Spider and great player and obviously a huge part of our success those couple years.

I don't think it is as easy as saying just work on it more. There are lots of 6'7 athletic guys who do not have a great handle. I'm sure they all work on it, but it doesn't guarantee success. Most guys that size have maybe never played PG or never been a guard that has to handle.

That would be like telling guys to just practice 3s and you will shoot like Steph. My guess is Tyler has worked on his handle and his 3 point shot a great deal. That is likely what he heard back when getting NBA feedback. But, his 3s have dropped to 29.3 and 32.7 the last 2 years. There's a reason why it's so hard to make an NBA roster....it's hard to be a great at pretty much everything.

I would say that is more important than his handle. If he stayed above 36% from 3 the past 2 years, like he was the 2 years before that, he would be getting a lot more attention.
LOL in agreement again. So many NBA guys not prolific in dribbling but good spot-up shooters.

Reactions: VT4700
I would say that is more important than his handle. If he stayed above 36% from 3 the past 2 years, like he was the 2 years before that, he would be getting a lot more attention.
What was he November & December of 2021, 36 of 89? Now if he stayed at that level…

What was he November & December of 2021, 36 of 89? Now if he stayed at that level…
He started 17-29 that year, then went 0-10, but then went 13-27, so thru Dec 19 ( 12 games) he was 30-66 (45.4%). But, the final 25 games he went 27-90 (30%). Then, in 22, in 33 games he went 55-188 ( 29.3%). So, his final 58 games with us, he went 82-278 from 3 (29.4%). I loved Tyler and he was a great player for us. He was also a class act, his interviews were always great, and he could not have represented us any better. He had some incredible games for us and was fun to watch, but just never could knock the 3s down at a high enough level to attract the attention he needed for the next level.

He started 17-29 that year, then went 0-10, but then went 13-27, so thru Dec 19 ( 12 games) he was 30-66 (45.4%). But, the final 25 games he went 27-90 (30%). Then, in 22, in 33 games he went 55-188 ( 29.3%). So, his final 58 games with us, he went 82-278 from 3 (29.4%). I loved Tyler and he was a great player for us. He was also a class act, his interviews were always great, and he could not have represented us any better. He had some incredible games for us and was fun to watch, but just never could knock the 3s down at a high enough level to attract the attention he needed for the next level.
Ah, I knew he started well, and tried to shortcut it.

Total season minus A10.
But that is not OOC.
That is OOC plus A10 tourney plus NCAA…

Alas, like so many, Burton found out that the grass isn't always greener. Hope the money was good because he may not earn any more playing basketball.

If Tyler wants to continue playing basketball and earn good money doing so, I don't think he will have any problems doing that.
I agree he should be able to get a job playing professionally, but disagree with people who insinuate that his performance this year doesn't matter. The question is how good of a job will he get and how much did he hurt him self by transferring? If I owned a sports team, I would not pay top dollar for a guy who finished 5th on a team in scoring.

I agree he should be able to get a job playing professionally, but disagree with people who insinuate that his performance this year doesn't matter. The question is how good of a job will he get and how much did he hurt him self by transferring? If I owned a sports team, I would not pay top dollar for a guy who finished 5th on a team in scoring.
This is the free market for NIL shaking things out. In some places they may have sufficient funds to live with the ROI. I'm not sure Villanova is that place. They may be a little more circumspect on who they buy this offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT