ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

I want to clarify my forgiveness of Dji a little. My latest responses seem to give full remission to Dji. I want to be clear that is not the case. His loyalty / Spider pride definitely still takes a big hit. If he really loved the Spiders, he would stay and help make them more successful. I only wanted to state that the point that he graduated is a valid one; it, however, doesn't put him in the clear as far as having an unblemished pride rating with the Spiders especially when he is still pursuing college basketball.
Wow...just wow. When one thinks enough is enough, at the end of the line, and there's really not much more that can be said. Then there's more piling on.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Any update on Dji? Been quiet on Twitter. Hoping that UR can scrap some more NIL money for him and he decides to come back and lead a team with guaranteed minutes

Any update on Dji? Been quiet on Twitter. Hoping that UR can scrap some more NIL money for him and he decides to come back and lead a team with guaranteed minutes
For fear of getting attacked on here, I will say I don't understand this comment. So, Dji would have had some NIL money had he stayed since we are pretty much paying all our players something now. He decided to enter the portal, which is his choice and I have no issues with that. He maybe doesn't get the fit or money or interest or whatever it is he is looking for in the portal, so not only should we take him back, but we should now give him more money than he would have gotten before entering the portal? I think we should be a lot more focused on guys who have visited or are coming in for a visit than guys who entered the portal.

Last edited:
guys do withdraw from the portal. sometimes it's because the collective finds more money. it's not impossible.

it's also not common so I'm not expecting it. hopefully we were already properly rewarding a really good 4 year guy with a better NIL than a potential 1 year guy.

I hear you Sman.....I guess I am just more focused on finding much needed 3 point shooting in the portal. Dji would not solve that issue.

The portal is wild…kids still getting in late so they can collect their last NIL check. It’s not about the money for Dji as I’ve said multiple times. The money is a good by product. We have great people helping us, UR is still an option so if that upsets some on here, I ain’t got nothing for you…and I hate this process but the thing about the portal recruiting is we’ve been through this process before in HS but now it’s accelerated but we can see through some of the mess from coaches(not UR coaches). We have a lot going on with family that is adding to my stress and ready for this to be over. Also in regards to NIL a lot on here are have been wrong on just about every thing in that regards.

The portal is wild…kids still getting in late so they can collect their last NIL check. It’s not about the money for Dji as I’ve said multiple times. The money is a good by product. We have great people helping us, UR is still an option so if that upsets some on here, I ain’t got nothing for you…and I hate this process but the thing about the portal recruiting is we’ve been through this process before in HS but now it’s accelerated but we can see through some of the mess from coaches(not UR coaches). We have a lot going on with family that is adding to my stress and ready for this to be over. Also in regards to NIL a lot on here are have been wrong on just about every thing in that regards.
I hope your family situation all works out.

PS

You do not owe anyone on here an explanation.

Do what is best. I am sure you will.

Last edited:
I hope you family situation all works out.

PS

You do not owe anyone on here an explanation.

Do what is best. I am sure you will.
Appreciate it...My moms Alzheimers has taken a bad turn and my dad's cancer is back BUT God is still good and we believe we will get though it. Would love prayers from Spider nation from those that do. 🙏🕷️🏀

I have mentioned this in the past, but I think there is better than 50/50 he comes back, because U of R offers the best opportunity for him. The coaching staff like him a lot and he has built a good reputation in the A10. We all know he is a great player, but other programs wont appreciate his skill set, because they quickly need to make decisions on players, and his small number of 3s and poor free percentage will hurt him. My guess is he will leave his options open until we only have one spot less.

Bottom line, he is a great kid, great player and I would LOVE to seem him back next year.

Appreciate it...My moms Alzheimers has taken a bad turn and my dad's cancer is back BUT God is still good and we believe we will get though it. Would love prayers from Spider nation from those that do. 🙏🕷️🏀
Very sorry to hear that. Those are difficult things to deal with. Let us know if there is ever anything the local Richmond people can do to help support your son (without violating NCAA rules).

So sorry to hear this. No matter our differences on here, I am praying for you big time. And, don't let Dji in the portal add to your stress.....make it a fun time for you and Dji, who is a good enough player to do what very very few (less than 1% or whatever of high school players?) athletes do.

Djii is going to have real interesting decision in my opinion. He is going to have Power 6 options and those will come with real NIL $$ differences from UR and probably real differences between individual schools. But I think they will also come with questions about playing time and role. Obviously no one is going to be offering big $$ and saying he is going o struggle to get off the bench, but reality is that his minutes and role will be far more uncertain almost anywhere else and even more so the higher up he goes. The current landscape in CBB is totally the wild, wild west. Look at Kentucky - - they basically have three players. Their incoming class has all reopened their recruiting and all their other guys (save those 3) are either out of eligibility, have declared for NBA draft or are in the portal. They need a whole team basically. So any transfers choosing them now, literally have no idea who they might be competing with for time etc. The NIL era certainly giveth to players (in a $ sense), but also makes life hard. Dji's dad has said money isn't the driver here, so that complicates things further in my view because the $$ is the easiest thing to assess and compare. I will take Dad at his word and then speculate that the driver then is a chance to prove himself at a higher level - - something I guess he feels like simply isn't possible at UR.

I certainly hope DJII stays, but respect that he can and should do whatever he feels like is best for himself. But I'd think long and hard about some of our better players recently - - Burton, Gilyard, Golden. Staying surely worked for later two and leaving surely didn't work for Burton (unless cash in fact WAS the big motivator). Tough stuff for sure and I wish DJII well no matter which direction he goes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT