ADVERTISEMENT

Dji entering the portal

This is a very strange post. While a very high number of schools have lost multiple guys each year to the active portal, Tyler and now Dji are the only main guys we have lost. And, before that, we had all of our starters return for their covid year when options were available elsewhere for all of them. Yet, you look at Dji transferring as this big negative on our program? Seriously? All of this just because Dji is transferring?

Lack of NCAA appearances? We went to the dance in 2022 and Dji wasn't part of the rotation then, so if he goes to another program and, even assuming they get to the NCAAs, how can you assume he will be a major contributor? Leading a team to the NCAAs? You just said he wasn't even part of our 2022 dance rotation, right? Sdad has said he would not transfer laterally, so I guess you assume he will lead a power team to the dance? And, it seems like you are holding the fact that Dji played just 1 minute combined in the Iowa/Providence dance games against our program somehow.

Bottom line is we won 24 games the year before Dji got here, we won the A-10 tourney, went to the dance and won a dance game in 2022 while he was here, and won the A-10 regular season title in 2024 with several new players while he was here. None of the 9 players who played in the Iowa game were on this year's team, yet you seem to give us no chance for success next year even though we just proved what we could do with a bunch of new players. And, that's a lot of winning the last 5 years, yet, your negative post seems to attack our program as if to say of course he should leave because we don't have a chance at the NCAAs here??? Just a very strange post. If that's why Dji is leaving, what a strange reason, when he could maybe end up in the dance elsewhere, but, like 2022, have no guarantees of how much he would be a part of it. Or, he could maybe be like Tyler and think he will make the dance and not make it. And, I don't remember anyone assuming if Nova made the dance, Tyler would be the main contributor leading them there, yet you think Dji would be elsewhere? Wow, strange post.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Let me offer another perspective on loyalty that was hinted at by a prior poster. I graduated from UR, went somewhere else for grad school, even though I WANTED to stay at UR for grad school too. I knew that was not the best option for me and I listened to my head, not my heart.

All of my loyalty, all of my rooting interest, a lot of my time, and a fair amount of my $, goes to UR. Not one iota of any of that is directed towards my grad school. Most of my friends who attended grad school of whatever ilk, are the same.

So you can be completely loyal to UR, and still recognize, however reluctantly, that it is time to move on in your professional capacity.

To follow this to its inevitable point, what do we all think the unrealized goals are that are why Dji is leaving?

I’ll take a stab: leading a team to a run in the ncaas. He wasn’t part of the NCAA team postseason rotation and subsequent 2 years yielded no NCAA. Now 3 starters and a lot of scoring leave.

We need to be there more consistently to keep guys coming back. If we are now losing major contributors who have eligibility left because of the lack of ncaa appearances (as opposed to NIL $$$) where are we as a program?

It’s a highly concerning statement to me.

The program’s goals (and that of billboard fans on both sides) have to be aligned that we need consistent bids as goals 1,2,3,4 and
I highlighted your one statement. Before I reply, let me say this. Dji had a great season and deserved all the accolades he received and was an integral part of our success this past season. He deserves his oppty to look and see what is out there. IMHO, if he leaves, he will most likely transfer up. He will MOST LIKELY be a role player on a P6 team, 10-15 minutes per game.

At Richmond he will MOST LIKELY be team captain and play 35 minutes per game. Option 1 will come w/ prob larger $ than staying. There is nothing wrong with either option. Are there 100% guarantees with either option? Absolutely not.

Everyone needs players now. Promises made to fill out rosters in April are hard to keep in November.

Thanks 8Legger, but I can't believe how close I am to giving it all up. It's not really worth my energy if the players don't have the same level of pride.
honestly, mr.spider, this might be a good thing for you. being a fan is one thing. loving your school is great. but your level of attachment is pretty unhealthy. and expecting everyone else to have the same level of attachement is borderline crazy.

I have an unhealthy obsession with spidernation.com.

Therefore I am giving it up.

Travelling April Fools GIF

APRIL FOOLS

honestly, mr.spider, this might be a good thing for you. being a fan is one thing. loving your school is great. but your level of attachment is pretty unhealthy. and expecting everyone else to have the same level of attachement is borderline crazy.
Yeah. I'm close to out I expect. The landscape is just not fun anymore. It's hard to give up something I care about so much, though, especially when it is a very large part of my identity. I didn't think it was that big of an ask for the players to be all in with pride for their school. I thought they chose to be here and wanted to be here. But dangle some money on a carrot stick, and all supposed loyalty is gone. It's what's wrong with society as a whole - no morals or loyalty, only money, and now it's found a deeper place in my escape, my passion.

Yeah. I'm close to out I expect. The landscape is just not fun anymore. It's hard to give up something I care about so much, though, especially when it is a very large part of my identity. I didn't think it was that big of an ask for the players to be all in with pride for their school. I thought they chose to be here and wanted to be here. But dangle some money on a carrot stick, and all supposed loyalty is gone. It's what's wrong with society as a whole - no morals or loyalty, only money, and now it's found a deeper place in my escape, my passion.
Honest question… Do you think kids sign a letter of intent for a school or a coach? Sure there are dream schools for kids but most don’t get their dream school. So the question remains…Do the players being recruited come to a school for the school or for the relationships they build with coaches, then possibly the school??

Honest question… Do you think kids sign a letter of intent for a school or a coach? Sure there are dream schools for kids but most don’t get their dream school. So the question remains…Do the players being recruited come to a school for the school or for the relationships they build with coaches, then possibly the school??
if it's between 2 very similar schools then it's the relationship. but when there are differences in the schools ... that makes the decision.

every decent coach is pretty good at the recruiting thing. if they really want a kid, they WILL be able to build a good relationship with him in the recruiting process. can't last in the business if you can't do that.

so the better school, or the better conference, or the better opportunity usually wins. the best recruiter in the world isn't going to sell Longwood over Richmond.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Didn't Dji backout of Wake because of a coaching change? I would imagine the relationship with the coach matters a lot. We have an advantage there. But I really hope the players come because they LOVE the school itself and really want to be there.

Dji spent 4 years as a Spider, he will graduate and get his degree. Tyler did the same last year. What more can we ask of them? Did any of you stay around UR after you graduated to show your loyalty?

They are not leaving the program early, they are using an extra year they received because of Covid to maybe go somewhere else and get a fully paid grad degree. Oh and yeah, someone is probably also going to drop 6 figures in their laps to do so.

Again, I question if any of us would pass up that deal. I'm a UR alum, I want Dji back, I want our MBB to succeed at the highest level, but if Dji was my kid, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to at the very least explore all of my options post graduation. And if he finds one to his liking, I'm not going to begrudge him that in the least.

Dji spent 4 years as a Spider, he will graduate and get his degree. Tyler did the same last year. What more can we ask of them? Did any of you stay around UR after you graduated to show your loyalty?

They are not leaving the program early, they are using an extra year they received because of Covid to maybe go somewhere else and get a fully paid grad degree. Oh and yeah, someone is probably also going to drop 6 figures in their laps to do so.

Again, I question if any of us would pass up that deal. I'm a UR alum, I want Dji back, I want our MBB to succeed at the highest level, but if Dji was my kid, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to at the very least explore all of my options post graduation. And if he finds one to his liking, I'm not going to begrudge him that in the least.
Thanks 97 for reminding me as a 100 others have that he completed his degree and is not leaving early. That is a valid point. And shines in Mooney's favor that his family culture is paying off in this age.

I'm been posting here, but a lot of my frustration is over Grace Townsend leaving, but she completed her degree, too, right?

And SpiderDad75 ensures us that he and Dji are still very proud to be Spiders! I'm ready to take him for his word. Please remain Spiders even after Dji moves on. It would mean a lot to see both of you at games!

Reactions: bullfrog91
Also, just messaged with a friend who is UR grad. His son did a visit recently and said how much they all loved it and how much pride was felt by those they encountered during their visit!!! Just what I needed to hear. What we're experiencing with basketball is happening at all schools but probably less so at Richmond thanks to Chris' family culture!

@SpiderDad75
Sorry I was an asshole. I get really caught up in my emotions around the pride for my team. I wasn't fair to you or Dji. Dji did a lot of great things for our program, and I am grateful. As others have pointed he will be graduating, and that is a fair way to look at it. He's not really leaving early. Look forward to seeing you and Dji at games in the future! Good luck.

I think the issue is, some see it the same as a regular student.

Would you attend an institution for a professor or for the school?

Not sure it should be viewed as the same situation but I think some do.

@SpiderDad75
Sorry I was an asshole. I get really caught up in my emotions around the pride for my team. I wasn't fair to you or Dji. Dji did a lot of great things for our program, and I am grateful. As others have pointed he will be graduating, and that is a fair way to look at it. He's not really leaving early. Look forward to seeing you and Dji at games in the future! Good luck.
No worries…it’s all good 🕷️🏀

It wasn't right, but I appreciate your forgiveness. I guess we (or at least me) get a little crazy sometimes!
I def understand….you are not alone, I’ve been just as crazy at times. I appreciate the apology but wasn’t needed as I didn’t take it as disrespectful but as a passionate fan. We don’t always have to agree. Dji has loved his time at Richmond and bc he might leave doesn’t mean he loves it any less. In terms of leaving, I’m going to always have Djis back. He’s a young adult now and totally his decision. We give advice and his circle gives it, but ultimately it’s his life and his decision even if it meant he would be far away. Which tbh will hurt bc we are a close family and it would be hard to only attend a few games. But I will say again UR isn’t out. 🕷️🏀

I def understand….you are not alone, I’ve been just as crazy at times. I appreciate the apology but wasn’t needed as I didn’t take it as disrespectful but as a passionate fan. We don’t always have to agree. Dji has loved his time at Richmond and bc he might leave doesn’t mean he loves it any less. In terms of leaving, I’m going to always have Djis back. He’s a young adult now and totally his decision. We give advice and his circle gives it, but ultimately it’s his life and his decision even if it meant he would be far away. Which tbh will hurt bc we are a close family and it would be hard to only attend a few games. But I will say again UR isn’t out. 🕷️🏀
There's something about you guys that I really respect. I certainly sense the family closeness. I love it.

I hope the fact that it has been a tough decision is in part due to the closenit family of players (both past & present) Mooney has helped generate.

@SpiderDad75
Great step. Now if we can get you sold as a solid Spider FCS fan, perfect ending. :)

Great step. Now if we can get you sold as a solid Spider FCS fan, perfect ending. :)
Yeaaaah. That's a little tougher. I used to travel all over the country for football too. Besides the National Championship game in Chattanooga, the game in Fargo was my favorite despite getting our asses kicked. Wonderful people out there who really respected our program. Helped that they invited us to their tailgates and offered drinks! 😉

Nowadays, it just feels like such a lower level unfortunately, even though it's good football. No one cares, and that's hard for me to get over. In basketball we are playing with the big boys for the real prize! Of course, I still want to see all Spider's teams win. Lacrosse has jumped ahead of football now, though, because it's for the real prize.

No, he is not obligated to stay, but if he leaves (or says he wants to leave if he can), he is not loyal to the Spiders. I don't know how he and his Dad can say they love Richmond if they want to leave.
I love Richmond but wanted to leave for law school. I guess I’m not loyal either?

Reactions: gcarter52
I want to clarify my forgiveness of Dji a little. My latest responses seem to give full remission to Dji. I want to be clear that is not the case. His loyalty / Spider pride definitely still takes a big hit. If he really loved the Spiders, he would stay and help make them more successful. I only wanted to state that the point that he graduated is a valid one; it, however, doesn't put him in the clear as far as having an unblemished pride rating with the Spiders especially when he is still pursuing college basketball.

Just re-read this. Are you saying you don't expect the players to have the same level of attachment to the school as the fans?

Just re-read this. Are you saying you don't expect the players to have the same level of attachment to the school as the fans?
as rational fans, yes.
you may be the most fanatical fan I've ever seen. and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you love it that much. but expecting others to feel the same is a bit extreme.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
He is saying that YOUR level of expectation of what a fan and a member of the program are, is unreasonable and excessive and unrealistic. Pretty much that sentiment seems unanimous, even from the most die-hard here. Maybe consider it a bit.

He is saying that YOUR level of expectation of what a fan and a member of the program are, is unreasonable and excessive and unrealistic. Pretty much that sentiment seems unanimous, even from the most die-hard here. Maybe consider it a bit.
Yeah, I hear you all. I'm just shocked. Here I am on the Spiders message board, and I am too big of a fan! Wow.

as rational fans, yes.
you may be the most fanatical fan I've ever seen. and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you love it that much. but expecting others to feel the same is a bit extreme.
So, I guess one of my earlier comments after the A10 tourney loss where people falsely interpreted that I was saying I thought I was more hurt from the loss than the players may have actually been true?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT