ADVERTISEMENT

"True Grit" (a team that does not back down)

Spideroldie

Team Manager
Oct 3, 2003
The most striking thing about today's game, vs. West Virginia, was that the team did not back down, and showed some really impressive intangibles. ShawnDre Jones, for example was fouled hard, a few times, with no calls, and he got right back up, and competed hard. The same can be said for other players. The expressions on TJ's face told a story of great determination. Terry Allen's drives to the basket, (again with fouls that were often not called) were memorable. We lost tonight to an NCAA team, and we gave them a real battle.

We handed a mediocre team a victory. They refused to accept it the first time, so we doubled down on our gift-wrapping.

What game did you see 8? I give you the fact that we could have, should have won this game but WVU is not a mediocre team.

What game did you see 8? I give you the fact that we could have, should have won this game but WVU is not a mediocre team.
Gcarter, agree 100%. West Virginia is a very good team and so are the Spiders. Over the next week and a half, the Spiders have several others on their plate starting with #12 Cal who was upset by San Diego State! OSC

West Virginia has no half court game, can't shoot to save itself and couldnt even outrebound US, for God's sake, and we still couldn't win the game. Sorry, but most of the top teams in the A10 would have beaten them by 10 points last night, and we lost.

West Virginia has no half court game, can't shoot to save itself and couldnt even outrebound US, for God's sake, and we still couldn't win the game. Sorry, but most of the top teams in the A10 would have beaten them by 10 points last night, and we lost.
Eight Legger, most of the top teams in the powerhouse A10 would have been beaten by 15-30 points. I mean, really? Don't know where you are coming from. OSC

Ulla, come on. Even you can't really believe that. West Virginia had one good player. The rest of their guys couldn't shoot worth a damn. We make even half of the free throws we missed and we win.

Thought WVU was average. Did not penetrate well, cannot shoot from outside and, absent rebounds, did not set up big men well inside on set O. Very disappointing loss.

WVU was tough on D disrupting our flow. They looked terrible on O but that could have been our D. They were averaging more points per game than we were so they can score, but think they thrive off turnovers like VCU. If they don't get em they look avg in the half court set.

Very disappointing loss just couldn't get over the hump and we need to win these games if we want to get to the next level. I admire our play but to be a top team you need to thrive in all facets of the game. Free throws killed us yesterday.

Williams is by far their best player in the half court. Their other rebounder is Holton who was in early foul trouble. Their team is dependent on it not being a half court game. Their full court defense is good and can make you rush outside shots and tired on free throws.

They have some very good aspects to their game but also a couple of glaring weaknesses. Many teams won't be able to take advantage of those weaknesses, the best ones will.

Really liked the way they competed especially after being down like 18-6 against a good P5 team. The game was there to be had but from what I saw will take this effort every night of the week.

WVU looked bad on O because they couldn't get live ball turnovers off of us. They need turnovers to score because they can't shoot well. This was known before we played them. Most teams will turn the ball over a lot more than us, we are top 10 team in terms of ball handling. That means WVU will score much more easily against almost every other team in the country, including every other team in the A10.

Reactions: Ulla1
WVU looked bad on O because they couldn't get live ball turnovers off of us. They need turnovers to score because they can't shoot well. This was known before we played them. Most teams will turn the ball over a lot more than us, we are top 10 team in terms of ball handling. That means WVU will score much more easily against almost every other team in the country, including every other team in the A10.

What factors are you including to get top 10 this year? I see Top 50 and climbing for TOs...

Compared to 224 of 351 for SDSU, so that could be interesting today...

What factors are you including to get top 10 this year? I see Top 50 and climbing for TOs...

Compared to 224 of 351 for SDSU, so that could be interesting today...

Only played 5 games, one against the best turnover producing team in the country. That is my projection for the end of the year based on our players, performance up to this point, opponents, and historical performance.

Only played 5 games, one against the best turnover producing team in the country. That is my projection for the end of the year based on our players, performance up to this point, opponents, and historical performance.
Just to clarify by 50 and climbing, I meant getting better...

Why doesn't Clone follow his shot? Throws up a baby hook and immediately turns to retreat

I would predict WVU about 35 rpi at the end of the year -- would have been considered a good win

I thought this thread was a bit premature last night. Yeah, we played a solid game against a quality opponent, but we trailed wire to wire and couldn't make the clutch play when one needed to be made.

However, tonight was a different story, we lost a huge lead, Cal had all of the momentum. But we didn't panic and Terry and SDJ were able to make clutch plays and come up with a win. That "calmness" comes from our coach.

When the score was 18-6, yesterday, early in the game, and WVU was fouling us hard on every possession, it would ahve been easy to pull up the tent posts and go home. Our players played hard, and made this a real game, down to the wire. I was proud of the effort yesterday, and believe we saw additional evidence of this team's "grit," and determination to win, today. Also agree with fan2011 that we did a terrific job handling the press, and there will be many teams that "wilt" under that kind of pressure. I think we saw some great intangibles from our Spiders team, and only hope that our guys go home, and get plenty of rest, in preparation for two more possible "signature" games/wins. In my view we are seeing something very different in the "culture" of this team. Some of the common "issues" with last year's team, like losing on the road, losing to good teams, and folding down the stretch, look like they may be replaced by a new Spider "mentality." The new mentality appears to be one that will take us farther, and be much more fun to watch. Not sure if anyone else is noticing it, but to me this team is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than last year's team, in a GOOD WAY. And lest anyone forget it, we just out-rebounded two potential top-25 teams. Whatever cool-aid we are drinking, I hope we have gallons of it stored in the cooler!

When the score was 18-6, yesterday, early in the game, and WVU was fouling us hard on every possession, it would ahve been easy to pull up the tent posts and go home. Our players played hard, and made this a real game, down to the wire. I was proud of the effort yesterday, and believe we saw additional evidence of this team's "grit," and determination to win, today. Also agree with fan2011 that we did a terrific job handling the press, and there will be many teams that "wilt" under that kind of pressure. I think we saw some great intangibles from our Spiders team, and only hope that our guys go home, and get plenty of rest, in preparation for two more possible "signature" games/wins. In my view we are seeing something very different in the "culture" of this team. Some of the common "issues" with last year's team, like losing on the road, losing to good teams, and folding down the stretch, look like they may be replaced by a new Spider "mentality." The new mentality appears to be one that will take us farther, and be much more fun to watch. Not sure if anyone else is noticing it, but to me this team is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than last year's team, in a GOOD WAY. And lest anyone forget it, we just out-rebounded two potential top-25 teams. Whatever cool-aid we are drinking, I hope we have gallons of it stored in the cooler!

Agree 100% Spideroldie, there is something eerie good about the chemistry of this team. We are in for something special..

Marshall Wood is making a pretty significant difference. He has scored a bunch of points on follow-up lay-ins, including one or two tonight, not to mention spreading the court by draining a bunch of threes. He's giving us exactly what I think we had hoped for in a best-case scenario.

Great title to this thread. I like what I see. Can't believe the contrast I'm seeing now vs our first game against jmu.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT