ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

since then we've signed 3 guards. I doubt we've been involved with Langford for a while now.
Agreed, just keeping an eye on him cause he's one of 3 players that remain uncommitted on my list. We technically do have one scholarship left, but some have mentioned we are probably done bringing in players for '23-'24.

Agreed, just keeping an eye on him cause he's one of 3 players that remain uncommitted on my list. We technically do have one scholarship left, but some have mentioned we are probably done bringing in players for '23-'24.
I agree, we are done for 23-24.

Unless there are some special circumstances and maybe he never officially enrolled at Nicholls or there's some sort of window to renege? Otherwise as an undergrad transfer, he shouldn't even be able to enter the portal now since we're outside of the window.

Still trying to close the loop, one of the last few transfers we were mentioned with has announced a couple of NAIA offers today: Dee Merriweather with offers from Midway University and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.

Still trying to close the loop, one of the last few transfers we were mentioned with has announced a couple of NAIA offers today: Dee Merriweather with offers from Midway University and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
If we lose out on a guy to that second school I will just pretend it was Saint Mary's College instead, better for my mental health.

though this was interesting.

looks like he played:
2019-20: 1 year at City College of San Francisco
2020-21: cancelled / Covid
2021-22: Seattle U (D1)
2022-23: UNH (D1)

feels like there's another year available. maybe NCAA is getting less lenient, and not allowing Covid years if you transfer multiple times? or is it because he wasn't D1 at the time of the Covid year?

Hmm, seems like he would have at least another year, but maybe something behind the scenes.
City College of San Francisco is a legit Juco, they whooped up on my guys Coach Rob and Coach Mosley :):):):)
that show really was great. They should identify ten interesting JUCO teams all over the country and follow their seasons in the same way. I would watch them all!

8legs, I liked season 1 more than season 2. Not sure if just because it was new to me, or the cast of characters (players) was better. I think a little of both. But I really enjoyed that show. A couple years ago when out in LA dropping off my daughter at school, I kept driving by the school. Never went in. The last time in town I emailed Coach Mosley to see if any practices I could come by and watch, but no reply. Should have contacted Coach Rob :).

Reactions: 8legs1dream
though this was interesting.

looks like he played:
2019-20: 1 year at City College of San Francisco
2020-21: cancelled / Covid
2021-22: Seattle U (D1)
2022-23: UNH (D1)

feels like there's another year available. maybe NCAA is getting less lenient, and not allowing Covid years if you transfer multiple times? or is it because he wasn't D1 at the time of the Covid year?
Double transfer, would have to sit out this year. So maybe the NCAA denied his waiver and he did not want to sit out a year, because yes, it looks as if he'd have 2024-25 as a final year.

that show really was great. They should identify ten interesting JUCO teams all over the country and follow their seasons in the same way. I would watch them all!
Second season had a couple kids who were there for the show, not the second chances for sure. But that had it's own little dynamic that was intriguing as well. Really enjoyed it. I'll take Damani on my team every day all day.

That's funny, was just wondering if he ever landed somewhere. Just seems very odd, like he is either looking for a big NIL amount, or guaranteed minutes/role, or something.

b6b

• Haha
Reactions: MDspider8
That's funny, was just wondering if he ever landed somewhere. Just seems very odd, like he is either looking for a big NIL amount, or guaranteed minutes/role, or something.
There was speculation online that he was having some academic issues contributing to his lack of destination.

Previous targets Ques Glover and Mike Meadows have jumped back into the portal. Meadows has now committed and de-committed to two different schools this offseason.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Zeeter
Is there a deadline? Hard to keep track of things these days
I asked this sort of tongue in cheek, but seriously how long can this go? Is the portal year round now? Will a player who gets benched get upset and enter the portal? I mean ENTERING the portal on August 6 is not good for college basketball...

Reactions: urfan1
I asked this sort of tongue in cheek, but seriously how long can this go? Is the portal year round now? Will a player who gets benched get upset and enter the portal? I mean ENTERING the portal on August 6 is not good for college basketball...

Well can u now play for two schools in the same season? Play 1st semester or part of it & transfer out for 2nd semester elsewhere. gotta believe there’s a rule against that but w immediate eligibility u never know. I’m sure SF can confirm.

I don't understand what's going on with these multiple transfers in a single offseason. I feel like it has to be tied into these not being considered official enrolled at their new schools yet. But even if they're not taking summer school classes, you'd think practicing with your new team would be a delineation point. You shouldn't be able to shop around for tryouts with multiple teams in a single summer lol.

As for the mid-year stuff, undergrad students can't transfer mid-season and be immediately eligible since there are now transfer windows that limit when you can enter the portal.

Postgrads have more flexibility, but they're still supposed to be subject to limits like one-time waivers for immediate eligibility, etc. Not sure if a postgrad who has never transferred before could do a mid-season transfer. Or like a guy graduating in December, could he do a postgrad transfer to start a new degree in January and be immediately eligible?

I know there are some sport-specific rules around midyear transfers that have traditionally been mostly related to strictly fall or spring sports, but I'm not sure how this new Wild West of transferring applies to winter sports that span both semesters.

I remember a few years ago when Harrison Barnes got traded while on the court and had to be pulled out of the game. He wasn't traded to the current opponent though.

that mid-major guard absolutely cooking your P5 team? Give him an offer he cant refuse at halftime and hand him a jersey!
Exactly what I was thinking. Any time your team is down at halftime, switch sides and never lose...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT