ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Turns out we WILL be watching Mike Meadows play this year, but for Travis Ford and the SLU Bilikens. Well, that's unless he does what he did to LMU and Cal, and hits the portal for a fourth time this offseason!

• Haha
Reactions: gospidersgo

We've now entered the part of this wild transition where a freshman leaves to go pro overseas prior to school even starting lol.

"While my time in Louisville has been short..." - no kidding
I'm sure Louisville fans will look back on the Trentyn Flowers era with immense fondness as the years roll on.

I get that ... but he committed. and it's August.
Yes, he committed, but it looks like an opportunity came along that he felt was too good to pass up. If he doesn't care about college life, and was going to be a one and done anyway, he needs to do what is best for him. Maybe his heart would not have been in it at Louisville? Maybe he would have been wishing he had gone to Australia the whole time he was at Louisville? At this point, these kids should be looked at no differently than everyday people getting jobs, especially 5 star recruits like him. Yes, he committed to one job, but then one he likes better came along. I say go for it.

when you sign, the school is committed to a scholarship for one year. you're committed to play for them for one year.

I'm old. I don't understand the new definition of "committed".
The bottom line is he is a 5 star recruit who has a chance to do what very few kids could do. Most others kids will not back out of a signed commitment because they would have to sit out a year at their new school. He is not going to a different school. He is going to Australia to be their starting PG. This is very much a step up, not a lateral move. The timing is bad, but he did not plan it this way. He just got the offer and opportunity at Australia, and he should do what is best for him. Next man up at Louisville, and as I said earlier, if I were Louisville, I would rather him move on than still be at Louisville with his heart not fully in it.

I'm sure Louisville fans will look back on the Trentyn Flowers era with immense fondness as the years roll on.
Right. The whole Card nation, the love he got from the entire City of Louisville, special place in his heart. My lord dude, you didn't even play in 1 game there. Honoring commitments seems to be a very fickle thing these days.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I don't blame the kids in this scenario at all. For years and years - coaches have been able to get up and move an make millions on the moving up the ladder for a bigger paycheck at a bigger school. Now - with more NIL, and more opportunities overseas in G-League for kids to "skip" college and make money - I don't blame them.

Reactions: Zeeter and VT4700
yeah. wife hasn't exercised the cancelation option yet. I hear there's a steep penalty.

Ha nice. Me too…remarkably.

I’m with u for most part on commitments. In this case I view it more like mlb draft. Kids out of hs r committed to colleges but then change mind based on a professional opportunity. He didn’t change school he was bound to, he received a pro offer that he took. Yes timing is bad, how much control he had on that idk. Heck Solly Stansbury did it to us during season. Also I don’t have much sympathy for a dirty school like Louisville & or when this happens to a power conf school who r most responsible for creating the new world order of “amateur” college athletics.

Ha nice. Me too…remarkably.

I’m with u for most part on commitments. In this case I view it more like mlb draft. Kids out of hs r committed to colleges but then change mind based on a professional opportunity. He didn’t change school he was bound too, he received a pro offer that he took. Yes timing is bad, how much control he had on that idk. Heck Solly Stansbury did it to us during season. Also I don’t have much sympathy for a dirty school like Louisville & or when this happens to a power conf school who r most responsible for creating the new world order of “amateur” college athletics.
Especially your last part, you reap what you sow.

That's why I think any team Pitino or Calipari coaches, is going to end up under the
microscope and of course add to that list Will Wade and Rick Stansbury. NCAA basketball use to be at the top of my viewing list, but it certainly has been tarnished by NIL and the portal. Parity of amateur collegiate sports is taking steps back.

That's why I think any team Pitino or Calipari coaches, is going to end up under the
microscope and of course add to that list Will Wade and Rick Stansbury. NCAA basketball use to be at the top of my viewing list, but it certainly has been tarnished by NIL and the portal. Parity of amateur collegiate sports is taking steps back.
Agreed. Really tough to be invested in your team when the majority of the roster will be turned over every year. The NIL has morphed from allowing some college kids to make a few bucks off of their jersey sales and maybe advertising for a local business to an absolute free for all where kids are being lured ridiculous sums of money from god knows who to play for 1 year at another school.

The NIL has swung the pendulum way to far in the other direction, that pendulum will swing back at some point. I don't know when but the path the NIL has put college sports on is both diametrically in opposition to the whole reason for college sports and unsustainable.

Honestly, rather watch pro sports were folks are paid above the table and there rules in place to create a level playing field vs college where their are no rules at this point.

Agreed. Really tough to be invested in your team when the majority of the roster will be turned over every year. The NIL has morphed from allowing some college kids to make a few bucks off of their jersey sales and maybe advertising for a local business to an absolute free for all where kids are being lured ridiculous sums of money from god knows who to play for 1 year at another school.

The NIL has swung the pendulum way to far in the other direction, that pendulum will swing back at some point. I don't know when but the path the NIL has put college sports on is both diametrically in opposition to the whole reason for college sports and unsustainable.

Honestly, rather watch pro sports were folks are paid above the table and there rules in place to create a level playing field vs college where their are no rules at this point.
The NIL and transfer portal is the equivalent of the 1 and done for the bigger programs on the lower level.

Before all this madness - only the Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etcs were effected by constant changeover of players because they constantly had guys going pro. And it gave the little guys some advantage when playing them as an experienced mid-major team could hang with the big guys if that power team was young and inexperienced. BUT now - mid-majors are feeling the pain as they lose players moving up, and then are trying to add players moving up and down - which leads to a revolving door of players and experience.

an organization wanting to tank for draft picks couldn't do much better than bringing in these guys to run the show for a while 🤣
True. Except with Mooney we would never truly tank, we would just finish just good enough to be irrelevant perpetually. Also, as a Philly fan, I hated the process . Intentionally losing year after year. And for all that losing and high draft picks they only hit on 1, Embiid. The rest were a steaming pile of crap, so they didn't even execute the process well.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

college sports has never been close to a level playing field.
NIL doesn't change that at all, though it does give some kids tangible reasons to make moves where they may not have before.

Bamisile's waiver has been denied even though he argued the "dad-had-open-heart-surgery" justification.

Wow, that would be a blow to VCU this season I think. I have been reading they are being much tougher enforcing this rule. Bamisile is a proven scorer in the A10. Hope his dad is OK.
He does seem like a poster child for the AAU model applied to college in which you can just jump teams at will.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT