ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Not sure if this is a fresh update from Zagoria, but I assume so. Interestingly, no mention of Temple, his other known visit.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Texas A&M Corpus Christi. They were the Southland conference champions this year and played in the 16 seed play in tournament, which they won before playing Alabama.

Reactions: spiderman
Here's a name out of nowhere...we're a finalist for Wofford's Amarri Tice, along with Buffalo and Quinnipiac. 6'8" SF with three years left, came out of South Kent. Started 11 games as a frosh for Wofford in the Nov/Dec timeframe but then shifted to the bench. Wasn't shooting it well...25.6% from deep and 33.3% overall.

The list of other schools interested in him is uninspiring to say the least. There is not a single program near our caliber on that list. Averaged 3.5 points and 4 boards as a reserve at Wofford.

Obviously, we need some front court help, he was only a freshman, so have to hope he is not fully developed his game yet, but not a ton on my initial glance to be excited about.

Yeah, most of his offers coming out of high school were of the MAAC/CAA type, although UMass was on there. NERR had him at #17.

Certainly looks like a depth/potential piece rather than an immediate impact guy.

The list of other schools interested in him is uninspiring to say the least. There is not a single program near our caliber on that list. Averaged 3.5 points and 4 boards as a reserve at Wofford.

Obviously, we need some front court help, he was only a freshman, so have to hope he is not fully developed his game yet, but not a ton on my initial glance to be excited about.
That would be embarrassing if we were not his choice of those three.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Sounds like he was the 6'8" guy we had on campus?
He wasn't the one I heard about.

Things have been quiet about that guy, but I suppose I can at least identify him given that Boyden follows him on Twitter and Instagram. That was Stefan Todorovic out of SMU. No idea who else he is looking at, but clearly an immediate UR commitment from him wasn't forthcoming.

Here is the list of initial schools that swiped right on Amarri. Again, not exactly the who's who of the college basketball world.

Reactions: urfan1
I've lost count but we've swiped right on like 70 guys.
end of the day I'm very happy with King and Hunt.
I like our backcourt now. land Langford and I love it.
bring back Burton and I like our front court a lot too.
could use another 6'8" body.

Are you saying these
“West Alabama (D2)
Coker (D2)
Livingstone (D2)
Columbus State (D2)
Midway (NAIA)”

are not our peers?
Blasphemous -- my UVA PHD grad Dad was a professor at Columbus State (GA) for 40 years and I watched almost all the home games from '84-'88. There was a crazy insane player Tim Thomas who could do anything on the court but ultimately wasn't able to sadly make the grades at the D2 school. Remember driving to see Columbus College at the time play at a loud and unairconditioned Tuskegee Institute gym.. my Cougars lost but great memory.

Reactions: plydogg
Are you saying these
“West Alabama (D2)
Coker (D2)
Livingstone (D2)
Columbus State (D2)
Midway (NAIA)”

are not our peers?
And we yet we TWICE REJECTED All-ACC AD Vassallo who starred at VT because we didn't think he could cut it academically despite qualifying?

I am pretty much resigned to roster fillers at this point. I think our best hope is A) Burton comes back (have not been online but there were strong suggestions he was entering portal imminently a few days ago- any updates?) and B) improvement from within (specifically Dji, Bigs, Noye - or at least more opportunity shows good results) and Smith/Tanner are ready from day 1. I think King is an improvement over year 2 Nelson. If Burton not back we really have Bigs as our athletic/rebounding/physical 3/4. Noyes athletic but not sure defense or rebounding?

No updates on that A-10 star potentially entering portal. Speculation about it being Collins picked up as well, but again, I don't know his agent situation and whether he even could change his mind and retain eligibility. Regardless, nothing has come of it so far, whoever it was.

Tracker update as of 5/23 - things definitely have gotten interesting over the past few days with the likes of Watson, Tice, and Todorovic being added.

We're approaching 70 names we've been tied to over the transfer window, and it sure looks good to have two names now in green. Would love to add the third (Langford?) by Monday.

Uncommitted-5-23.png

Tracker-5-23-23.png

I am pretty much resigned to roster fillers at this point. I think our best hope is A) Burton comes back (have not been online but there were strong suggestions he was entering portal imminently a few days ago- any updates?) and B) improvement from within (specifically Dji, Bigs, Noye - or at least more opportunity shows good results) and Smith/Tanner are ready from day 1. I think King is an improvement over year 2 Nelson. If Burton not back we really have Bigs as our athletic/rebounding/physical 3/4. Noyes athletic but not sure defense or rebounding?
23 I think this is where we are...filling spots but you never know, we could get lucky. Take Dji off your list bc VT says he isn't good enough 😉. I think the longer TB plays this out is not a good sign for him returning. If I had to guess now, we shouldn't count on him being back, but that is a guess with no inside info.

back to the Tice (Monroe) list ... out of HS he was hearing from (but not offered by) some big name schools. from video, he has a great handle for a 6'7" kid. actually played PG as well as SF.

23 I think this is where we are...filling spots but you never know, we could get lucky. Take Dji off your list bc VT says he isn't good enough 😉. I think the longer TB plays this out is not a good sign for him returning. If I had to guess now, we shouldn't count on him being back, but that is a guess with no inside info.
Yes, agree that it would seem the longer we don't hear Burton back, he likely will pursue a different opportunity. I am knocking on wood while typing this, but I feel like this is first off season Dji has been healthy and able to train the full or most of the time?
If Burton were back, I feel like he may have opportunity to improve for the same reason - he lost a good chunk after the knee surgery last off season.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
As soon as I post a tracker update, of course we get a new name! Darryon Prescott, 7'0 C with 4(?) years left (believe he redshirted this season at FIU). From Philly. I see he recently visted La Salle & Fairfield.

• Wow
Reactions: Zeeter
Yes, agree that it would seem the longer we don't hear Burton back, he likely will pursue a different opportunity. I am knocking on wood while typing this, but I feel like this is first off season Dji has been healthy and able to train the full or most of the time?
If Burton were back, I feel like he may have opportunity to improve for the same reason - he lost a good chunk after the knee surgery last off season.
Pretty much correct...he came into last season fairly healthy but still had a little bit of ankle/foot thing going. He is fully healthy 🙏 and has changed his diet, taking some supplements that help with bone strength as well. Working hard in the weight room and working on being aggressive.

Awesome, good to hear sdad. I'm sure the injury history keeps you up at night. Hopefully those steps will alleviate and keep him in one piece. I had two sons play h.s. basketball. One never got hurt - sprained knee kept him out 1 week. The other would just start going really good and then injury would set him back - it was super frustrating.

kids at JUCOs aren't always lesser academic kids. there have been JUCO transfers on Ivy teams.
as a glass half full guy ... he is a lights out shooter on pretty high volume. and the JUCO basket's the same size.
Agree, and if we are going to add depth pieces, you want them to be above average at something. It looks like Merriweather can shoot the 3 (he made 11 in one game!), and Tice can rebound the ball (averaged 3.9 in 16.8 minutes a game), including 7 in 24 minutes against LSU and 7 in 24 minutes against Texas A&M.

ADVERTISEMENT