ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

23 I think this is where we are...filling spots but you never know, we could get lucky. Take Dji off your list bc VT says he isn't good enough 😉. I think the longer TB plays this out is not a good sign for him returning. If I had to guess now, we shouldn't count on him being back, but that is a guess with no inside info.
Beyond frustrating that we are left to "fill roster spots", when Mooney had every advantage over Odom, who with the exception of the last signing, did not fill roster spots but got impact players.

Just another in a long line of examples of why Mooney can't capitalize when we need him too. We have a .500 roster as I see it now, if Burton returns, less than that if he doesn't. And the sad thing is that will be "OK" with Hardt, Queally, Mooney and most of the rest of our athletic leadership.

Beyond frustrating that we are left to "fill roster spots", when Mooney had every advantage over Odom, who with the exception of the last signing, did not fill roster spots but got impact players.

Just another in a long line of examples of why Mooney can't capitalize when we need him too. We have a .500 roster as I see it now, if Burton returns, less than that if he doesn't. And the sad thing is that will be "OK" with Hardt, Queally, Mooney and most of the rest of our athletic leadership.
97 I hear your frustrations...my assumptions are just that..no inside info on that. It appears that way to me but doesn't mean I'm right. Just bc VCU filled their roster super fast...the verdict is still out on the team, but I get your frustrations.

The portal is messy and with all the money being thrown around to kids it is hard to compete when you are a MM type of school. Something is going to have to be done, bc I know of kids being offered money before they even hit the portal(not here). Smaller schools just aren't going to be able to compete financially with the bigger ones. Word is, College coaches are going to start focusing back on HS guys (25' 26') bc you can't really build programs the way. The free for all is going wild right now and the NCAA will be looking hopefully to make changes to fix after this season. I don't know for a fact but heard money was a factor for us not getting a guy.

I get that. Very few transfers will want to go be a depth piece somewhere, especially if it likely means less playing time than their previous spot. But, no harm done in us making contact here.
I question if he just put in us in his Final 3 and whether he was a priority for us. Yeah, we need size but a guy who only averaging 3 points a game in a low mid major league, seemed to be quite a leap that he would think he could come to an A-10 program and be a major contributor. Either way, I'm good with him going to Quinnipac.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I question if he just put in us in his Final 3 and whether he was a priority for us. Yeah, we need size but a guy who only averaging 3 points a game in a low mid major league, seemed to be quite a leap that he would think he could come to an A-10 program and be a major contributor. Either way, I'm good with him going to Quinnipac.
I'm not crushed, but he did at least have 3 years remaining to develop. Mooney clearly prefers those types to the one year variety.

I'm not crushed, but he did at least have 3 years remaining to develop. Mooney clearly prefers those types to the one year variety.

but sometimes the right one year player can really make a huge difference, we have already seen that a few times recently in the A10. Of course, it will take our guy another 20 years to learn the nuances of the transfer portal.

Reactions: SpiderK
Good report friend, we need more posters like you dropping in! Nice to hear about King. And good to hear this activity is going on. As much time as you can spend on skill work, if you can get competitive runs vs good comp that is essential too.

Walz around?

Stork still out there? He gave some of the best, most accurate off season reports I have read on this board. Very balanced, no narrative for favorites or blowing smoke?

Post 72

So occasionally?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
our offseason is incomplete but I'd give us a B so far with 1 great and 1 solid incoming transfer plus most importantly we haven't lost Tyler yet.

I'm guilty of writing off a prospect when I hear "walk-on", but I do like the tape and resume of Graham.

You can't give him a scholarship now, I was already right about him being a walk-on!🤣

This sucks. It's so late in the portal game that we aren't going to find the kind of player we need. Unless maybe we have some backroads connections to a grad transfer power forward who wants to come start and play 30 minutes a night now that we have no one in that role.

Reactions: SpiderK
Sounds like UNC transfer D'Marco Dunn will be heading to Georgetown to join hix ex-teammate Dontrez Styles. We contacted both.

Demarr Langford still in play? Saw 4700 mention a couple times recently so I am like hmmmm.

It's amazing how quiet some of these portal recruitment are vs. others.

Do think we could definitely use a guy like him to add some physicality/toughness into the mix with Burton gone. Weird offseason. The King signing was a super start, then we have been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Demarr Langford still in play? Saw 4700 mention a couple times recently so I am like hmmmm.

Do think we could definitely use a guy like him to add some physicality/toughness into the mix with Burton gone. Weird offseason. The King signing was a super start, then we have been waiting and waiting and waiting.
I go back and forth. he's the best player we're mentioned with. I love his strength and athleticism. yet I can't help but feel that's where we go wrong ... going for the best player regardless of fit.

I'd be super excited if we get him, but I'm not so sure that putting a non-shooter on the floor for 30 mpg at a shooting position will help us.

sman, have the same concerns. Bigelow is going to have to play a ton. If he can't find his 3 point shot that could be two guys not really a threat. At this point it seems like we have to hope the musical chairs music stops and a couple decent players have no seat other than the one in the Robins Center.

Reactions: spiderman

I keep checking on him and nothing new. Sure would like to get him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT