ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

sman, have the same concerns. Bigelow is going to have to play a ton. If he can't find his 3 point shot that could be two guys not really a threat. At this point it seems like we have to hope the musical chairs music stops and a couple decent players have no seat other than the one in the Robins Center.
I hear what you both are saying, AND we will need big minutes from Bigs, AND I definitely value the 3 point shot, BUT.....I do think Langford would make us much better, and I think his proven ability against P6 competition tells me he would be even better in the A-10. His 2 point game looks solid to me. Nick Sherod type post up, turn around from 12-15 feet along with a strong ability to attack and finish at the rim. Good size and looks like a good defender as well.

Reactions: spiderman
physically he sure looks the part. he's a guard that we could certainly play as a 3rd (my SF) at 6'5".
but I don't love the Sherod comp. before the ACL, Nick was a great 2-point guy (around 56%) as well as a top 3-point guy (37%). DeMarr is consistently around 47% from 2 and under 27% from 3. at least he doesn't shoot many 3's.

he's probably a great fit with the right guys around him, including shooters. so it could work if paired with Roche, Noyes and Smith.
but I think it's more likely he's out there with Quinn, Bigs, Dji, and King. and there's just not enough shooting.

physically he sure looks the part. he's a guard that we could certainly play as a 3rd (my SF) at 6'5".
but I don't love the Sherod comp. before the ACL, Nick was a great 2-point guy (around 56%) as well as a top 3-point guy (37%). DeMarr is consistently around 47% from 2 and under 27% from 3. at least he doesn't shoot many 3's.

he's probably a great fit with the right guys around him, including shooters. so it could work if paired with Roche, Noyes and Smith.
but I think it's more likely he's out there with Quinn, Bigs, Dji, and King. and there's just not enough shooting.
I was only comparing his 12-15 foot turn around post ups to Nick. I don't think any other part of his game would compare much to Nick. As far as shooting is concerned, trust me, I want as many 3 point guys out there as possible, but I don't think we are finding a key 3 point weapon this late in the portal, so based on what our team looks like now, whether we need more 3 point shooting or not is not as relevant as will he make us a better team? I say he will. Look at it this way, some of you have Dji in your starting lineups. Like Langford, Dji doesn't shoot the 3, but I think Langford would be the much better option there. And also Hunt (28.7% from 3 last year and 31.3% for his career), who many also have in their starting lineup. I think Langford would be the much better option there also.

Last edited:
I opined on it before, I think Langford would work GREAT if we modified our system to match the athletes and be a much more pressing, aggressive, transition team. King's speed, BIgs and Langford attacking the rim, kick-outs to Roche? I think that would be both fun and effective. Sadly, it's also a pipe dream.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Marcus Watson is visiting Towson today. One of the few remaining transfers who we've been linked to.

Watson has trimmed his list to Towson, High Point, and Seton Hall, and is visiting Seton Hall today.

Was looking across the street at our main comparison competition and saw this posted ....

When the dust settles, the player carousel (swaps; primarily as it relates to size) is essentially/effectively:
1. Baldwin - Nelson
2. Nunn - Bamisile
3. Kern - Bairstow
4. Watkins - Belle
5. Deloach - Wheeler
6. Johns - Kuany
7. Shriver - Patrick
8. Banks - Shulga
9. McAllister - TBD
----------------------------
10. Jackson - Jackson
11. Billups - Billups
12. Fermin - Fermin
13. Lawal - Lawal

Say what you want about enough players listed with uncertain potential but sadly don't see us close to their upside potential. And saw Patrick and said WTH is he? Well researching and see his German Euro season just finished and posters over there oddly consider him a possibly pickup? In limited time good 3PT shooter along with automatic from the FT line.

Well guess what, been playing with men since 16 and turns 20 end of 2023. And his dad John Patrick has been coaching him. Played and won NIT for Stanford back in 1991. Played also for Morgan Wooten in DC.

Must be an intelligent kid so expect many offers from better colleges than them, though probably goes some foreign pro route? Though after getting Belle and the other Euro players wouldn't put it past Odom getting this kid. Can't seem to find any more info on him but maybe others here know more?

Sadly type of background it appears well suited to being a Spider. Interested to see what Jacob decides.

Was looking across the street at our main comparison competition and saw this posted ....

When the dust settles, the player carousel (swaps; primarily as it relates to size) is essentially/effectively:
1. Baldwin - Nelson
2. Nunn - Bamisile
3. Kern - Bairstow
4. Watkins - Belle
5. Deloach - Wheeler
6. Johns - Kuany
7. Shriver - Patrick
8. Banks - Shulga
9. McAllister - TBD
----------------------------
10. Jackson - Jackson
11. Billups - Billups
12. Fermin - Fermin
13. Lawal - Lawal

Say what you want about enough players listed with uncertain potential but sadly don't see us close to their upside potential. And saw Patrick and said WTH is he? Well researching and see his German Euro season just finished and posters over there oddly consider him a possibly pickup? In limited time good 3PT shooter along with automatic from the FT line.

Well guess what, been playing with men since 16 and turns 20 end of 2023. And his dad John Patrick has been coaching him. Played and won NIT for Stanford back in 1991. Played also for Morgan Wooten in DC.

Must be an intelligent kid so expect many offers from better colleges than them, though probably goes some foreign pro route? Though after getting Belle and the other Euro players wouldn't put it past Odom getting this kid. Can't seem to find any more info on him but maybe others here know more?

Sadly type of background it appears well suited to being a Spider. Interested to see what Jacob decides.
I thought he signed a LOI with them on April 16? But no public announcement until he finished playing? But we will see…

Reactions: spiderfriend
From my list of known transfer targets, we're down to 5 that remain uncommitted: DeMarr Langford, Dee Barnes, D'Marco Dunn, Corey Williams Jr., and Dee Merriweather. Barnes is visiting 3 other schools and Dunn is seemigly headed to Georgetown. That leaves us with Langford, Williams Jr. (walk-on at TTU), and Merriweather (JUCO product). If we don't land Langford, things are looking pretty grim with 3 open scholarships to fill.

According to VerbalCommits, there are currently 618 other players in the 2023 D1 transfer portal who remain uncommitted. We have to hope that there is an impact guy or two in that group who is keeping his recruitment quiet and we are involved with. That 618 number is going to shrink quickly as we get deeper into summer.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Zeeter and SpiderK
How about Elvis Nnaji, a 6-9 forward leaving Mason after a season. He had a bunch of higher offers, and his cousin plays for the Nuggets.

How about Elvis Nnaji, a 6-9 forward leaving Mason after a season. He had a bunch of higher offers, and his cousin plays for the Nuggets.
How about Remy Lemovou? 6'9", transferred from Coppin State to Lindenwood, increased his minutes from 2 to 4.5 and is transferring again...

That seems to fit... ;) ;) ;)

I thought he signed a LOI with them on April 16? But no public announcement until he finished playing? But we will see…
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I went to verbal commits and didn't see his name on there. Wherever Patrick goes looks like he can be a good addition.

Yes, see it’s official now at verbal commits. Odom even got a player to replace the bad haircut guy. Is there a certain poster here that still wants to question whether he can recruit?

Start post #159, do you mean #287?

Of course, none of them have a single stat for the 2023-2024 season, so….

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Yes, see it’s official now at verbal commits. Odom even got a player to replace the bad haircut guy. Is there a certain poster here that still wants to question whether he can recruit?
If you mean me, absolutely I still question that. It is not every year he will bring guys with him from a previous stop, or have a bunch of local AAU guys from Richmond go there after struggling at previous spots.

If you mean me, absolutely I still question that. It is not every year he will bring guys with him from a previous stop, or have a bunch of local AAU guys from Richmond go there after struggling at previous spots.
Or 2 highly rated international players coming in as freshman. Agree, the Mooney formula is working miracles.

Last edited:
Obviously, that was the bad half. We kept the good half. Right?
we lost Burton. he graduated. he had an opportunity to play high major at Villanova and probably got well paid. I don't know anyone besides mr spider who'd blame him. I know I'd make that move.

so really it's Nelson, Randolph and Dread for King, Hunt and players TBD.

did we really lose half the team and replacing them with nothing???

we lost Burton. he graduated. he had an opportunity to play high major at Villanova and probably got well paid. I don't know anyone besides mr spider who'd blame him. I know I'd make that move.

so really it's Nelson, Randolph and Dread for King, Hunt and players TBD.

did we really lose half the team and replacing them with nothing???
Losing half may be correct.
Burton
Grace
Goose
Nelson
Randolph
Crab
Dread

IF, IF, IF we are done then add
Tanner
NONE
Hunt
King
Smith
NONE
Graham

Start post #159, do you mean #287?

Of course, none of them have a single stat for the 2023-2024 season, so….
Didn't even recall the exact post but yes going back it was #287 thanks. No stats indeed for all but just researching Patrick's bio/resume I'm unfortunately thinking will be a + for Odom. Also getting that coalition of local players to trust him coming to VCU is worth something with proven stats for two players.

And Bairstow and Shulga weren't recruited by Odom to play for Utah St so must have made an impression following him on a lateral school move. On the flip side the main five players that left all went to P6 teams with of course two following Rhoades.

Not sure who we are hosting but just saw Boyden leaving RIC with a recruit. Looked to be decent size, 6’5” maybe?

we lost many guys and we have a bunch of open roster spots, it is what it is. Call it hyperbole if that makes you feel better.
we graduated Burton, Grace, Goose and Crabtree.
we've replaced them with Tanner, Smith, King and Hunt.
that honestly might end up being an upgrade in talent. time will tell.

we've also lost Nelson, Randolph and Dread. we haven't replaced them yet. but I'm not so sure how much we lost there. maybe Nelson will become a strong A10 guard. no sure thing though. I don't think we planned on Randolph being more than a backup. and Dread saw no time.

like you said ... it is what it is.

*edit: I keep leaving out Graham! kid hit 11 threes in a semi-final game, and I write him off because JOC says he's a walk-on! kid will have to earn respect now. it's an uphill battle once you're known as a walk-on.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Relax Guys.

It is late in the game, the pickings are slim, and we still can't fill out our roster. Nothing to be concerned about here.

The dividends from our recent NCAA appearance are NIL.

Deja vu.

Rinse. Repeat. Maintain double nickel speed. Be satisfied bc what you have seen is what you are will continue to get.

Pitiful statement on where this program finds itself. Pitiful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT