ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I hope we can add more, but as far as your roster of 12 to roster of 10, I would take our 10 man roster with King over our 12 man roster minus King, but with Nelson, Randolph, and Dread. I think you are definitely downplaying King if you say we have done basically nothing this off season. So, yes, it would be nice to get another guy or two, but at least we got an impact player at a key position, which IMO, makes us already much better than last year. But, to be a lot better we probably need another impact player (Langford?).
I see the upcoming season in much the same way.

I predict that the 23-24 team is better, even without Burton. The well below par guard play of last season was a major factor in many of the problems. The play of the replacement (King) should be FAR superior. IF King is as successful as we hope and project, then the performance of all players around him should be enhanced. If all of that projection falls into place, then the upcoming team is quite a lot better than last year's addition. That doesn't even take into account the potential of individual player improvements, nor the addition of what seems to be two pretty good freshmen.

Of course, the addition of a couple of more high caliber players make the odds go up yet another level, but at this moment that doesn't seem to be happening. Other than practice fodder, I don't think that adding a couple of filler portal players helps this team at all.

As always, the player combinations and the allocation and managing of player minutes will be THE key issue. I am willing to bet that the magic of osmosis has not improved Mooney's player management ability. Will it be team improvement, or sputter, sputter, sputter due to misapplication of resources? Time will tell.

From Maryland. Interesting career stat lines. Played a lot of minutes freshman season at Mt. St Mary's. Then must have had injuries? Then a ton of minutes again in his 5th season. Made 39 3s. Not a lot if assists. Seems like a shooter type, not a playmaker.
I look at that list and we seem to be far and away the highest offer - which is not something I typically like when it comes to recruits or transfers.

Of course, the addition of a couple of more high caliber players make the odds go up yet another level, but at this moment that doesn't seem to be happening.
not if we're now considering guys averaging 6 points a game as a career high after 5 years at Southern Utah.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Six points a game at Southern Utah in his fifth year in college? Meh. This is the pond we are fishing in?
But, looking a little farther, he was 39-89 from 3 (43.8%), 43-75 from 2 (57.3%), and 23-29 at the line (79.3%), so he can shoot.

He is 6'4 and averaged 2.5 rebounds in 15 minutes, so his size and rebounding could help. And, the 3 guards that all started in front of him averaged double figures on a 12-6 WAC, 24-13 overall team, so maybe he was behind some pretty good players.

If we had one spot left, maybe I would want more of a high minute impact guy, but with 3 or 4 spots left, I think it makes sense to go after a guy who can shoot like this.

Is it me, or is the portal playing out much slower this season? Not talking specifically about us necessarily (obviously not for VCU either), but seems like guys enter the portal and taking sweet time. No Jay Pal updates. Langford entered the portal March 24th. Just visited us and Temple. Someone posted a number, a ton of guys still in the portal Mid May.

maybe I'm just talking myself into this, and I know all highlight vids look good, but his is impressive. he's athletic. some of the inbounds dunks are sick. and he's clearly a knock down shooter.

I can't imagine any scenario in which a guy like this would transfer up to come here and then outperform his career highs. Maybe I'm wrong. In half of those highlights, Southern Utah was either winning by 40 or losing by 30 lol.

I can't imagine any scenario in which a guy like this would transfer up to come here and then outperform his career highs. Maybe I'm wrong. In half of those highlights, Southern Utah was either winning by 40 or losing by 30 lol.
it would depend on playing time. his aggregate numbers aren't impressive. his per 40 numbers were good.
16 ppg, 7 rpg on 57.3% from 2 and 43.8% from 3.
no idea about his defense, but I'm guessing he's more than a scorer since he was named 6th man of the year in the conference while scoring just 6 ppg.

Why would he have to outperform anything? What if he averages 10-12 minutes a game and has 4 or 5 games where he plays 15 minutes and makes 3+ 3s for us? Last season, he had games of 3-6, 4-5, 4-4, 3-6, and 3-4 from 3. You can never have enough outside shooting.

Reactions: urfan1
Is it me, or is the portal playing out much slower this season? Not talking specifically about us necessarily (obviously not for VCU either), but seems like guys enter the portal and taking sweet time. No Jay Pal updates. Langford entered the portal March 24th. Just visited us and Temple. Someone posted a number, a ton of guys still in the portal Mid May.
Kids are waiting to see who will pay.

There definitely is a lot of wrangling going on that front. I love me some college hoops, but even if I was loaded, I would find it hard to pay a kid $300,000 for 9 points and 8 rebounds.

I'd imagine there is a significant portion of first time NIL super booster fans that are not satisfied at all with their ROI and do not come back for a second round ha

I wonder what the statistics are on guys entering the portal and end up returning to same school and not transferring. Hard on the school cause they have to keep a spot open, but wondering if guys put their name in - see what interest they draw, and if not a lot or the interest they thought - they take a while and end up back in same place.

School doesn't have to keep the spot open. They're more than welcome to fill it with another player, too bad so sad for the guy who was looking for greener grass and didn't find it elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT