ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer news

My dog, Winston, wants to know, if he has to be a member of a D1 team to enter the portal. He can outrun most, if not all, D1 athletes. He chases rabbits and squirrels, he points, and he steals footballs and basketballs. Oh and he barks a lot at random things. Would he qualify?

Reactions: nathanw19
Yeah, I'm sure we're only hearing about small fraction. There's also the issue that we're one of only 24 teams still playing, so we're a little busier than many other programs are at the moment.
I was surprised when you said 24.

I completely missed that the CBI had started...and finished.

Reactions: Ram Bal
Casey Morsell, a UVA sophomore guard and 4-star recruit from Maryland, is transferring. Seems like the kind of guy who could come in and play right away here, depending what our seniors do.

• Love
Reactions: plydogg
My dog, Winston, wants to know, if he has to be a member of a D1 team to enter the portal. He can outrun most, if not all, D1 athletes. He chases rabbits and squirrels, he points, and he steals footballs and basketballs. Oh and he barks a lot at random things. Would he qualify?
His SAT’s are probably better than most also

Reactions: Gallipoli
GW has managed to pick up a super-senior big man transfer from a P5 program. Not a starter, but a double-digit minutes guy who can rebound. Must be nice.

• Wow
Reactions: plydogg
And St. Joe's has picked up Obinna. He didn't do anything against in our games and he's a fairly low minutes guy on a bad team, but still, there are big bodies out there to be had.

I was wondering why Gilyard wouldn’t transfer to Virginia or Va Tech. Two very good teams with terrible point guards. He would almost be guaranteed a NCAA bid and play against the big boys all year.

I was wondering why Gilyard wouldn’t transfer to Virginia or Va Tech. Two very good teams with terrible point guards. He would almost be guaranteed a NCAA bid and play against the big boys all year.
Seeing that Tech got Storm Murphy from Wofford out of the portal; I think it would be very hard for Gilyard to play there.

Reactions: SpiderK
Sometimes kids with great talent are all about “me”. Without getting into too much detail, I know from a very close contact, this is the case with one of the players mentioned. I don’t think it would be a good fit even if there was interest.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Honestly, if they all decide to play another year, I could see all of them going elsewhere as grad transfers. Not sure why they would come back to this dog and pony show.

Just like you know how much of a fan I was of KF, love to see them all more on. That would really assist in my opinion the higher-ups realizing they really must move on from Mooney. Plus show how great the character of the Spider players not throwing their coach under the bus.

Great character kids who maybe Mooney has taught them better outside of the X and Os. I give him credit for that but unfortunately the end results of the UR basketball program has not been sufficient enough against the investment. Like what was posted already, nobody hates Mooney, for me it's just business.

And please nobody post again about Mooney getting a P5/6 job even if say bottom dweller like DePaul. That level of b-ball is all about what will you do for me today! Anybody who watched the UR-Miss St game has to say HowtheF could Mooney teach those kids his system? #1 was so not listening to anything Howland said it made me feel for the coach. Wait till these kids start getting paid how disengage they will become.

Kentucky Spiders next year?
Anyway, this thread should be the topic we all concentrate on the next couple of weeks. Transfers in and out. This will be the big news.

Last edited:
Where is “Knows All Noah” letting us know who is staying and who is going? He said Sunday didn’t he?

Kentucky Spiders next year?
Anyway, this thread should be the topic we all concentrate on the next couple of weeks. Transfers in and out. This will be the big news.
No, They all transfer to Texas to play for the Longhorns next coach...
As Mooney puts on his cowboy boots for his next position.

They love Princeton guys in Austin...

Last edited:
I think there are plenty of places in greater Richmond that would want to spend money to have Richmond Basketball players promote their products.

I’m also whole heartedly on the side of athletes having the ability to use their likeness for money. I see no reason why schools/the NCAA should have the market cornered on earning money.

I also find the idea that major conference teams will have an unfair advantage a form of fear mongering. First, they already do. Second, as stated above, I think there is plenty of money to be spent on advertising with mid major players in their own market. Will it be as big as major conference teams, of course not. But see point 1 that they already have an advantage.
The amount of money the power conferences will have will make any money we might be able to raise meaningless.
This is just opening the door for pay which will eventually lead to a title 9 debate

Feeling a bit nervous today regarding Gilyard saying he will know his decision today. Also wondering if his decision means 1 or 2 others are making theirs today too. Really could see anything happen today.

Reactions: nathanw19
Tennessee Martin has 15 guys in the portal! lol. I guess that includes walkons

George Mason has 9 including Tyler Kolek
Albany has 8 including Cam Healey

GW also has 8
LaSalle and St Bonaventure each have 5

Wake Forest has 6

Chris Lykes entered the portal. show interest if Gilly doesn't come back? I assume he'd go P5.

JP Moorman is available. we offered years ago. would fit a big forward need. 7.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg. Duquesne already offered him among others.

• Wow
Reactions: gospidersgo

GW also has 8

Wake Forest has 6

Chris Lykes entered the portal. show interest if Gilly doesn't come back? I assume he'd go P5.

JP Moorman is available. we offered years ago. would fit a big forward need. 7.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.2 apg. Duquesne already offered him among others.
Wow, Tennessee Martin’s water boy (oops person) must have entered the portal also.

GW also has 8

Wake Forest has 6

Trying to remember was it Moorman & Mutt that we were looking at, at the same time?

we broke the 1,000 mark today for names in the portal.
should break last year's record 1,026 tomorrow.

I’m praying that we were never back on bamisile. The idea we lost him to GW is too much to process.
I kind of doubt Mooney was going after Bamisile this offseason. He doesn't exactly play within the “flow of the game” that Mooney loves so much. He played really out of control this year for Tech, very good athlete but just plays 100 miles an hour all the time and loses control sometimes.

Yeah, we definitely recruited him and he unofficially visited. I don't think I ever saw official word that we ever offered him though.

Yeah, we definitely recruited him and he unofficially visited. I don't think I ever saw official word that we ever offered him though.
Ya we never offered him because he wasn’t good enough for us. Probably didn’t have a good feel for the game or fit well with the flow.

Ya we never offered him because he wasn’t good enough for us. Probably didn’t have a good feel for the game or fit well with the flow.
Maybe some didn't think he was "real"? It was probably the "K"...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT