ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer news

Like the enthusiasm CH but no way this guy academically gets into UR. Looked at VC and first he went to technical HS and then to CCollege before Akron. Also from way out in Oakland.

Reactions: SpiderK
I like our transfer chances. We only have one good A-10 player, the other 4 starting spots are wide open for transfers.

numbers are exploding on verbal commits transfers the last few days.
CH may have head something. who knows. he's not a big shot blocker. never took a 3.

I hope we're talking to Matt Faw of Holy Cross. a very reasonable option who I've seen him a couple times. bouncy athlete and skilled with decent size. and he's a locational fit from King of Prussia, PA. in my opinion he'd start for us. grad transfer.

I hope we at least call Emanuel Okpomo from Wake Forest who went to Oak Hill. he'd be a long term solution. only a freshmen.

not sure if Hannes Polla would help much but he's huge and went to the same Helsinki Basketball Academy as Goose. come on now. that should be a layup if we want him.

I expect there will be more interesting names coming out the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: plydogg
Great insight sman. Hopefully someone in the basketball department reads this board and now knows those names

Reactions: CH_Spider
Great insight sman. Hopefully someone in the basketball department reads this board and now knows those names
I've got absolutely no insight. just a verbal commits link. we need a big body next year. everyone knows it.

Kolek looking at transfer options, but says he could return to GMU. We recruited him out of high school, so there's already a relationship, but we obviously don't need another guard and not sure where things stand with the A-10 and intraconference transfers anyway.

With the uncertain coaching situation, Greene is also looking at grad transferring out of there, and Haidara is in the portal.

He will go to Louisville
Chris Mack to all A10 transfers
tenor.gif

And just to bring out the Fatts Doubters (including myself)

Bones Fatt Treats. Yummy snack for a dog.

But seriously don't see the infatuation with Fatts. But, will say he has some ability, and maybe with the right coach his talent can be reigned in and used better. But after 4 seasons of terrible, awful decision making at URI you wonder if he can re-learn how to play better.

Kellan Grady into the portal looking for a grad transfer fifth year.

Last edited:
Former local Spider target who initially committed to Northwestern before flipping to Tech. Now headed elsewhere, and he’ll have plenty of interest.

Reactions: plydogg
Tech has danced in what, 4 of last 5 years? We haven't danced in a decade. Why would he or anyone in a similar situation consider the Spiders? This is a serious problem.

Our lack of relevancy on the national stage is a huge drag on recruiting. Doubtful we get better without a change.

Last edited:
Former local Spider target who initially committed to Northwestern before flipping to Tech. Now headed elsewhere, and he’ll have plenty of interest.

I had heard early rumblings that he wasn’t happy in Blacksburg, but then he got playing time at the end of the year and thought he just had a rough start. I guess entering the portal doesn’t mean you have to leave though. Definitely don’t think he would go anywhere in the A10, but will be interesting to see what happens. He is an interesting kid.

Tech has danced in what, 4 of last 5 years? We haven't danced in a decade. Why would he or anyone in a similar situation consider the Spiders? This is a serious problem.

Our lack of relevancy on the national stage is a huge drag on recruiting. Doubtful we get better without a change.
Yep, that is a very good point. We had some juice this offseason with some national writers hyping us, but we couldn't cash in and land any bigs. Completely agree, just keeps getting tougher as we become less relevant.

Bring in this guy and Schieffelin with him and I may change my mind:

Disappointed to hear about Bamisile deciding to transfer out of Tech. I had also heard rumors he was unhappy but he was starting to come on at the end of the year. From what I heard he had a hard time picking up Mike Young’s offense and it definitely seemed that way, he was always playing a little too out of control but he played really hard. I think bringing in the transfer guard Storm Murphy from Wofford may have been the deciding factor in Bamisile transferring out.

Yep, that is a very good point. We had some juice this offseason with some national writers hyping us, but we couldn't cash in and land any bigs. Completely agree, just keeps getting tougher as we become less relevant.

Bring in this guy and Schieffelin with him and I may change my mind:

So is Spiderdad75 back on the job?

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I think I saw former target Sy Chatman back on the market. Although I generally disfavor going after guys who already have 2 former teams under their belt.

Bamisile I think is really into music - not a strong major at UR. Plus, watching him play and his style - I hate to say it - he would be a perfect fit for VCU. Big and strong, sometimes out of control and going full speed all the time - that fits right into their style and I actually think he could be very successful there. But I would expect he will get P5 offers simply because he didn't play too much this year at Tech so he still like recruiting a HS senior.

Grady will get a lot of offers for sure. So it will be interesting to see where he lands. In all honesty, if the NCAA is allowing a free waiver - meaning you don't have to sit out a year - it only makes sense to put your name in the portal and see what interest you get. Its like declaring for the NBA draft, seeing where you may land and then deciding to come back to school - no harm done.

At this rate - I almost expect Burton to put his name in and see what is out there.

Bamisile I think is really into music - not a strong major at UR. Plus, watching him play and his style - I hate to say it - he would be a perfect fit for VCU. Big and strong, sometimes out of control and going full speed all the time - that fits right into their style and I actually think he could be very successful there. But I would expect he will get P5 offers simply because he didn't play too much this year at Tech so he still like recruiting a HS senior.

Grady will get a lot of offers for sure. So it will be interesting to see where he lands. In all honesty, if the NCAA is allowing a free waiver - meaning you don't have to sit out a year - it only makes sense to put your name in the portal and see what interest you get. Its like declaring for the NBA draft, seeing where you may land and then deciding to come back to school - no harm done.

At this rate - I almost expect Burton to put his name in and see what is out there.
The only problem with this is it doesn’t do a ton to enhance a players position as committed. If I’m a coach or a fan and one of my players announced he is open to being wooed, that guy is going to have a demerit in my book.

you guys are funny. of course you expect transfers. because you personally wouldn't choose UR to play for Mooney. we all get it. but sure seems like you want it to happen to prove your point.

I don't think it has much to do with that, honestly. Just look around – guys on every team are entering the portal, even good teams. Odds are someone from our team will throw his name in there. Hope not, but we'd be naive not to think it's possible or even likely.

well yeah. 900 kids do every year. it happens for a variety of reasons. but specifically "expecting" your best player to transfer? those talking about that are pushing an agenda.

Yeah, I don't "expect" Burton to transfer, but I think it's fair to look at him with the most to gain, potentially, if he does. He's our best player, has a couple or three years left, has NBA aspirations, etc. He would have a lot of suitors and I'm sure he knows it. I hope he stays, but I won't be shocked if he considers leaving.

Reactions: spider23
It's certainly sobering seeing some of these four-year guys like Fatts and Grady wanting to use their extra year, but at a different school.

As for Bamisile, music, and hoops...we can claim LiDicky Ball and Dave East. Tough to beat that!

Why does the player need to be committed? The coaches are rarely committed. Bigger job with bigger pay comes along and they are usually out of town on the first plane with a bigger bank account. So I can't fault a kid for looking around. If he does put his name in the portal - the kid is either not happy or you need to re recruit him to make him realize this is the best place for him. Or of course - just let him go if you didn't want him anyways.
And remember - it works both ways. While we may be in a position to lose good players looking to move up. We are also in a position to add players from P5 programs looking for more playing time or guys from the lower ranks looking to move up, but P5 might be too much of a jump - guys like Francis and TJ Cline fit that mold. Or an all time spider great - Greg Stevenson - who moved down from Penn State to UR and was awesome for the Spiders.

It's certainly sobering seeing some of these four-year guys like Fatts and Grady wanting to use their extra year, but at a different school.

As for Bamisile, music, and hoops...we can claim LiDicky Ball and Dave East. Tough to beat that!

I don’t think Grady has any grad school options at Davidson, so he’s a unique case.

This season is going to be the closest thing the NCAA gets to free agency. There’s going to be a ton of player moves all over the country.

Yeah, I don't like this whole free agency. As much as some want to treat these players as professionals, the fact is they are 18-20 years old with their first forays into adult life. I think a lot of them think the grass is going to be greener somewhere else and instead of sticking with something and learning and growing from adversity, they are looking for a quick fix and this gives it to them.

I don't think this does players near the benefit in the long run that its proponents feel it will.

I don’t think Grady has any grad school options at Davidson, so he’s a unique case.

This season is going to be the closest thing the NCAA gets to free agency. There’s going to be a ton of player moves all over the country.
Correct on Grady. Davidson is a college, he has graduated. He can't stay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT