ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer news

Schools like Kentucky, Duke, UNC will catch on. Their issue right now is trying to balance. Kentucky takes all 1 and done players. But if they can ever figure out how to mix 1 and done with transfers, they could be dangerous.
Kentucky already relies heavily on transfers to replace their one-and-dones who leave...Toppin, Sarr, Mintz, now Tschiebwe. And as we've seen this year, mixing in so many new guys all at once, whether freshmen or transfers, doesn't always go well.

Maybe? I just think it creates a dynamic where the player is saying they’re open for business. I don’t think that inspires confidence with a coach.

I am not commenting on the merit of the portal btw, it clearly has great benefit to players, particularly those who are definitively looking to transfer.
That fair.

I guess I’m just not convinced that coaches “transfer” schools quietly while players do it openly and loudly. And if so, I would argue that how the portal was conceived forces players to announce publicly they are looking for a new home (whether or not they transfer), while coaches are allowed the opportunity to look at other jobs without necessarily making it public (though we definitely hear about a lot).

If you are a happy camper, you stay at your campsite. Can't see a player throwing his name lightly into the portal. Whatever the discomfort/unhappiness, entering the portal is much more likely to exacerbate rather than alleviate tensions with the current coach. Seems unwise to use it to gauge interest from other programs as has been suggested.

Reactions: MrTbone
Odd that Mooney claims he hasn't talked with any of our five guys about their plans for next year yet. Can that possibly be true? If so, how effectively can you plan for next year or recruit guys if you can't tell them how much PT might be available? If not, why lie about it?

does anyone know when seniors have to decide? I don't think I've heard any seniors anywhere declare they're coming back, except for the ones who've publicly stated they're transferring for an extra year.

I assume there has to be a deadline though sometime after the season ends. and the same for each of the next 3 years?

Don't think there necessarily has to be a uniform deadline...whatever the players and programs work out I would assume.

Mike McGuirl announced yesterday that he's coming back for a fifth year at Kansas State.

Vermont has four seniors coming back, three of whom seem to have already used up their four years even though a couple of them had transferred in.

Kentucky already relies heavily on transfers to replace their one-and-dones who leave...Toppin, Sarr, Mintz, now Tschiebwe. And as we've seen this year, mixing in so many new guys all at once, whether freshmen or transfers, doesn't always go well.
I would argue against Kentucky is not doing well. I think this year was an anomaly and really more COVID than anything. With such a young team - you need those offseason practices and workouts to get everyone together and without that - Kentucky was way behind. But to say Kentucky has not been successful is hard to take - look at their NCAA seeds the last 10 years. Again - they did not make it this year.

2019 - 2
2018 - 5
2017 - 2
2016 - 4
2015 - 1
2014 - 8
2012 - 1
2011 - 4
2010 - 1

They won in 12, lost in finals in 14, and made final four in 15. Since then - not great in the tourney, but I like my chances going forward if I can continue to get a 5 seed or higher in the tourney. At this point at UR - I would take the play in game.

I said it doesn't ALWAYS go well. It definitely didn't this year thanks largely, as you noted, to the lack of offseason/preseason prep time.

Regardless, they are absolutely mixing one-and-dones with transfers to build their roster, which is the main thing I was trying to point out.

Is that a bad thing?
Yes UR and hundreds of other midmajors will become a minor league, so we recruit a player improve his skills give him exposure for a year or so and he leaves to go to UVA for likeness money is that what you want?

Yes UR and hundreds of other midmajors will become a minor league, so we recruit a player improve his skills give him exposure for a year or so and he leaves to go to UVA for likeness money is that what you want?
I think there are plenty of places in greater Richmond that would want to spend money to have Richmond Basketball players promote their products.

I’m also whole heartedly on the side of athletes having the ability to use their likeness for money. I see no reason why schools/the NCAA should have the market cornered on earning money.

I also find the idea that major conference teams will have an unfair advantage a form of fear mongering. First, they already do. Second, as stated above, I think there is plenty of money to be spent on advertising with mid major players in their own market. Will it be as big as major conference teams, of course not. But see point 1 that they already have an advantage.

Odd that Mooney claims he hasn't talked with any of our five guys about their plans for next year yet. Can that possibly be true? If so, how effectively can you plan for next year or recruit guys if you can't tell them how much PT might be available? If not, why lie about it?
You know that’s BS. He knows or he is worse than we thought.

Just tuition and required fees…other funds like for for room and board are taxable.

Just tuition and required fees…other funds like for for room and board are taxable.
There were (probably still are) tax codes at one time that got the athletes around the room and board if the university required them to live on campus and use the meal program, then that portion was also not taxable. Wording is something to the affect that the employee is living there for the convenience of the employer, also excluded FICA taxes as well, if I read it right.

That’s $75k tax free too.
My understanding is the way athletic scholarships work is the player first receives need based aid (like any other student), and then the scholarship covers the rest. This is the reason fraud cases were brought against people giving money to players families, as they were helping defraud the financial aid given (as they did not deserve it due to actually having more income than was being reported).

According to a quick google search, the average amount paid by UR students in 2018-2019 was $26,000 a year after need based aid. Obviously this would be a case by case basis (as all need based aid is for all students), but this means the $75,000 quote that is being thrown around is, on average, about $50,000 off per year for “pay” for scholarship athletes.

If you wanna play it out further, the “pay” for players coming from lower income homes would be less than the “pay” for players coming from higher income homes.

Reactions: plydogg
Most schools, especially UR - will have to pay all players the same amount for every sport. I find it hard to imagine the UR will give football player X $5,000 stipend, but then turn around and give women's lacrosse player only $500. You can just sense backlash from that. For that reason - I don't see UR willing to pay athletes an extra amount, and if they do - it will be very small in mind in order to be fair to everyone. Will this put us at a disadvantage against other schools - possibly? Will it be an excuse we use, like our academic standards, on why we miss out on certain recruits - of course it will be.

We already pay some athletes extra through the cost of attendance bonus. I believe only men's and women's hoops are currently receiving it by default. Coaches in other sports can offer it, but it comes out of their overall scholarship budget, so if they give it to someone they have less money to give to other athletes.

For those who get it, the amount does not vary as far as I know...it is set by the school. It was initially set at $1,300 when it rolled out a few years ago, but I assume it's gone up a little since then.

Most schools, especially UR - will have to pay all players the same amount for every sport. I find it hard to imagine the UR will give football player X $5,000 stipend, but then turn around and give women's lacrosse player only $500. You can just sense backlash from that. For that reason - I don't see UR willing to pay athletes an extra amount, and if they do - it will be very small in mind in order to be fair to everyone. Will this put us at a disadvantage against other schools - possibly? Will it be an excuse we use, like our academic standards, on why we miss out on certain recruits - of course it will be.
The movement at the moment isn’t asking for extra pay directly from schools (the stipend limit was actually increased fairly recently). The ask is for the restriction on using one’s likeness to make money to be lifted. This money would be coming from businesses outside of the university.

I believe universities have been so vehemently against this for so long, not because it will cause an imbalance in the competitive field, but because it will cut into their bottom lines. If you’re Nike for example, is it cheaper to pay Zion Williamson to wear your gear/shoes/do commercials? Or is it cheaper to have a contract with Duke?

At the end of the day, Nike probably does both. I would imagine scholarships/apparel deals will become similar to the NBA, where players can’t wear competing brands during school events like games/press conferences.

The ask is for the restriction on using one’s likeness to make money to be lifted. This money would be coming from businesses outside of the university.
What if a well-healed donor makes a side-deal with a player if he plays for Duke? Let's say the side deal involves a player's endorsement for a product or service in exchange for large sums of cash. What then?

i believe this is what is happening. Isn’t it just men’s & women’s basketball that receive it at UR?

What if a well-healed donor makes a side-deal with a player if he plays for Duke? Let's say the side deal involves a player's endorsement for a product or service in exchange for large sums of cash. What then?
The situation I was pondering was...
A one and done recruit is pursued by Kentucky.
3 days before the recruit makes his decision, a Kentucky booster buys the right to take a selfie with the recruit that day for $200k.
3 days later recruit chooses Kentucky...

Besides Kolwek are we showing interest in either of these transfer entering the market. Lots of big men are coming in the portal, we need one.

3 days before the recruit makes his decision, a Kentucky booster buys the right to take a selfie with the recruit that day for $200k.
I think the argument is to let it be.
if a school or a booster feels an athlete is worth money, let them pay him. free market capitalism.

Reactions: nathanw19
transfer numbers have exploded in the last week. we're up to 852 now. will certainly set a record.

I thought with Walker Kessler & Lucas Taylor both committing we were done recruiting?
;) ;) ;) ;) 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23
Kolek and Healy are the only two I've seen us mentioned with so far...both guards.
Are we waiting around for a reason. Seems to me, we would want to be making calls right now to players who could help us next year to at least let them know if we are interested.

Are we waiting around for a reason. Seems to me, we would want to be making calls right now to players who could help us next year to at least let them know if we are interested.
I'm sure we are. but very few of the 852 transfers in the portal are broadcasting who they're hearing from.

Yeah, I'm sure we're only hearing about small fraction. There's also the issue that we're one of only 24 teams still playing, so we're a little busier than many other programs are at the moment.

Yeah, I'm sure we're only hearing about small fraction. There's also the issue that we're one of only 24 teams still playing, so we're a little busier than many other programs are at the moment.
true, but I doubt that has any affect. I'm sure someone is looking into the details of every kid that hits the portal every day, and we're reaching out right away if we have interest. we have to be. that's just part of the job.

Two things:

1. These deals happen already. I would rather them happen above board for everyone to see rather than using bag men.
2. While I’m ok with this sort of arrangement (free market capitalism), I would imagine the ncaa will put some rules in/review to determine if advertising deals are “market value”.

That would be a violation. The recruit is not yet an intercollegiate athlete.

well yeah, it's currently a violation regardless of when it's done. question is should it be?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT