ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Fire Chris Mooney Thread - 2018-2019 Edition

I don't know 97, how can you be a good guy AND win? You are right, reading this board, it does seem they are mutually exclusive. My understanding is that you can throw 1.3 mill at someone who is a good guy, and just be glad he takes it and shows up and competes, with only minimal players in trouble and excused from the program.

Richmond picked very low in A10 again next year. And this guy is A10 centric, he knows who we get back from injury and in on transfer.

Richmond picked very low in A10 again next year. And this guy is A10 centric, he knows who we get back from injury and in on transfer.

The list looks pretty good to me with a one exception, my take:

1. Richmond
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. Davidson
5. Duquesne
6. St. Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. George Mason
9. Saint Joseph’s
10. Saint Louis
11. La Salle
12. UMass
13. GW
14. Fordham

Reactions: VT4700
I believe if Hardt can nail the hire, we would have a shot of winning it next year 93. If Mooney is back, or we make a bad hire this scenario is more than likely. I am rooting like hell to be on top next season.

I believe if Hardt can nail the hire, we would have a shot of winning it next year 93. If Mooney is back, or we make a bad hire this scenario is more than likely. I am rooting like hell to be on top next season.
Guys, mooney will be back...stop dreaming...make your plans next yr accordingly but Mooney will be our coach!

1. Dayton
2. VCU
3. Davidson
4. Duquesne
5. St. Bonaventure
6. Rhode Island
7. George Mason
8. Saint Joseph’s
9. Saint Louis
10. La Salle
11. Richmond
12. UMass
13. GW
14. Fordham

I was surprised at first seeing UR behind LaSalle, maybe even Joe's and St Louis but pundit behind the predictions probably took coaching into his analysis so understand why Spiders were picked so low.
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1102338792663511040

most pundits aren't as down on CM as this board. maybe they predicted a coaching change and potential fallout.

If Mooney is back next year (hopefully not) and we don’t finish in the top 3 of the A10, minimum, and win at least 1 game in the NCAA tournament, then it will be a total failure.

I’m basing these expectations on Chris Mooney himself saying that next year’s JR class “will be the best class that Richmond’s ever had” in a Dec 8th RTD article.

An article were he was also quoted saying that this year’s FR class “is a pretty good class, too. So I feel like we are a pretty good and improving team, on the verge of having great teams.”

Great teams don’t finish 11th in the A10 or ‘crack the top 8’ in the A10, they compete for a championship. So anything short of that, with Mooney at the helm, is a total failure.

IF (big if) Mooney goes, how would you feel about Shaka coming here? Understand he's on thin ice at Texas and Mrs. Smart would love to get back to Richmond.

I would be totally fine with it. I'm not sure I see how the money works.

If our former football coach - who took us further than any other - can land at our biggest rival, it only seems fair that we return the favor to our biggest basketball rival.

Man, Shaka would be a great get for us. That guy can recruit and motivate. Used to love to hate him, but could love to love him (that sounds weird).

Anyway, if he leaves Texas, he would probably go and do a year or two of announcing while he waits to pounce on the perfect P6 fit. He's not coming here. We need to find the next Shaka. Hardt doesn't seem like the guy to do it though. We can hope.

If Mooney is back next year (hopefully not) and we don’t finish in the top 3 of the A10, minimum, and win at least 1 game in the NCAA tournament, then it will be a total failure.

I’m basing these expectations on Chris Mooney himself saying that next year’s JR class “will be the best class that Richmond’s ever had” in a Dec 8th RTD article.

An article were he was also quoted saying that this year’s FR class “is a pretty good class, too. So I feel like we are a pretty good and improving team, on the verge of having great teams.”

Great teams don’t finish 11th in the A10 or ‘crack the top 8’ in the A10, they compete for a championship. So anything short of that, with Mooney at the helm, is a total failure.
I Dont disagree

Shaka would be an incredible hire. I give it a less than 5% chance of happening but the confluence of things that it could spawn would be amazing. Hope Texas loses out so that there's at least a chance. His style doesn't work at a P5 program like that but would work very well (obviously) in our league.

Shaka would be an incredible hire. I give it a less than 5% chance of happening but the confluence of things that it could spawn would be amazing. Hope Texas loses out so that there's at least a chance. His style doesn't work at a P5 program like that but would work very well (obviously) in our league.
Gilyard would average 10 steals a game in the havoc system.

The list looks pretty good to me with a one exception, my take:

1. Richmond
2. Dayton
3. VCU
4. Davidson
5. Duquesne
6. St. Bonaventure
7. Rhode Island
8. George Mason
9. Saint Joseph’s
10. Saint Louis
11. La Salle
12. UMass
13. GW
14. Fordham

I appreciate the optimism and would love to see that result. Unfortunately it would require Mooney to do something he has never done (finish 1st or even 2nd in the A-10....even in the Glory Days of 2010-2011.).

lol, so a 2020 projected grad from Davidson is a pundit now? that bar's gotten pretty low I guess.
Someone posted the original preseason prediction by the blogger. He writes for the A10 Talk site. They have contributing writers for each school in the A10.

If Mooney stays another year, it will be time to move the basketball forum to a minor sport column and give Lacrosse its own heading. I wouldn't put basketball in with baseball. The way they are playing that would be an injustice to baseball. Lump it in with Quiddich

Someone posted the original preseason prediction by the blogger. He writes for the A10 Talk site. They have contributing writers for each school in the A10.
he's a Davidson student. not some college basketball expert. posters here will quote ANYONE as if it's gospel as long as the quote agrees with them.

Reactions: VT4700
he's a Davidson student. not some college basketball expert. posters here will quote ANYONE as if it's gospel as long as the quote agrees with them.
Feel free to find some college basketball experts to quote about how great of a job Mooney is doing.

I understand that. It was shared so I shared the comment from Noah with the DC bloggers response. It is just a preseason poll so it is meaningless. The team will have a say when it comes to that stuff.

Very few national college basketball writers write about the a10. Glad that a10 talk exists to shed a bit of light on the conference. That guy is a pretty regular contributor. Feel free to not pay attention.

https://twitter.com/A10Talk

I'll pay attention. I'm just not going to quote his blog to prove I'm right if he happens to agree with me on something.

That's a shame, because he just posted this:

"Top Messageboard Posters by A10 schools
[...]
11. Richmond – spiderman
This guy has been around awhile, clearly knows a lot about the program, hasn't fully bought into the overwhelming anti-Money sentiment and still shows up, maybe somewhat naively, to talk actual basketball. Every board could use more of him."

Mooney's teams 12 wins according to kenpom opponent rankings .....

#133 St Louis
#143 GMason
#189 Wake
#192 IUPUI
#215 LaSalle
#221 S Alabama
#224 H Point
#253 Fordham
#274 St Fran NY
#283 GW
#283 GW
#344 Coppin

Impressive list but not as impressive as these home losses .....

#284 Longwood
#287 Oral Roberts

along with a neutral loss ......

#318 Wyoming

Most ADs would probably ask the coach responsible for the above to leave. We shall see but might not be his call.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Mooney's teams 12 wins according to kenpom opponent rankings .....

#133 St Louis
#143 GMason
#189 Wake
#192 IUPUI
#215 LaSalle
#221 S Alabama
#224 H Point
#253 Fordham
#274 St Fran NY
#283 GW
#283 GW
#344 Coppin

Impressive list but not as impressive as these home losses .....

#284 Longwood
#287 Oral Roberts

along with a neutral loss ......

#318 Wyoming

Most ADs would probably ask the coach responsible for the above to leave. We shall see but might not be his call.

Thanks for that list. Where is Hampton? Also, I believe Wyoming was missing 2 starters when they beat us.

4.5 million would go a long way towards the % chance. He likes Richmond and might just have the itch to raise a good program from the ashes again, but the money's going to have to be there. I say he gets a killer offer from UCLA. They need all the help they can get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT