ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Fire Chris Mooney Thread - 2018-2019 Edition

Sloppy game; got out-rebounded by 20; UMass had an announced attendance of 2564 in a 9400-seat arena - they are a train wreck. And we lost.

Wait 'til next year.

Is Duquesne still hovering at the Quad 4 line to give us 7 (7!?!) Quad 4 losses?

On a different note, Bakersfield is #3 in OR% in KenPom...UMass 79th.

You: "Quad 4 loses"
Alex: "In the form of a question please"
You: "Sorry Alex.....What are the Q4 loses for the University of Richmond during Chris Mooney's last year of coaching there?"

Did not mean to poke fun at Alex......bad timing, just heard he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.....
Hang in there, buddy, you've been in my family room for many many years.

Tonight was prime example of why it’s time to move on from Mooney. Unfortunately I think we’ll have at least 1 more season of this type of suffering.

Reactions: 72Spider
It never changes with Mooney! Davidson a BAD offensive rebounding team too ranked #328 in the nation. Battle of the Have Nots tonight in that sense. Well late in game Davidson has 2-0 lead in 2nd chance points. Have Nots right. Well at 2:35 mark it goes to 4-0 advantage. At 1:31 mark it goes to 6-0 ad. And at :45 mark 8-0 ad. Of course UR got it to 8-2 for with Cayo's 2 FT at :05 mark.

What has killed Mooney's forever, giving up too many 2nd chance opportunities literally finishes Mooney's team off tonight. And against some team that attacks the offensive glass like Mooney's team does. I would describe those 3 missed defensive rebounding chances as 1) soft 2) delicate and 3) passive. Maybe not in that order though. Like I said, some things never change. Hopefully that isn't the case with who is coaching the Spiders next season!

It never changes with Mooney! Davidson a BAD offensive rebounding team too ranked #328 in the nation. Battle of the Have Nots tonight in that sense. Well late in game Davidson has 2-0 lead in 2nd chance points. Have Nots right. Well at 2:35 mark it goes to 4-0 advantage. At 1:31 mark it goes to 6-0 ad. And at :45 mark 8-0 ad. Of course UR got it to 8-2 for with Cayo's 2 FT at :05 mark.

What has killed Mooney's forever, giving up too many 2nd chance opportunities literally finishes Mooney's team off tonight. And against some team that attacks the offensive glass like Mooney's team does. I would describe those 3 missed defensive rebounding chances as 1) soft 2) delicate and 3) passive. Maybe not in that order though. Like I said, some things never change. Hopefully that isn't the case with who is coaching the Spiders next season!

Agree on all counts.

An example of poor coaching:
Cayo is a terrible free throw shooter. His form is terrible. First move is ball up and over his head, second move is ball back in his palm and flick with wrist. Now if you’ve been shooting like that your whole life AND you can hit 70% that way, then leave him alone. But when you’re that bad you have to teach him a better form. He can practice 1,000 shots s day with that form and he won’t be much better. Coach him! 4 college coaches can’t figure that out!

just wait till next year and the following year. compete. i am very proud we didn't get blown out.

Danny Manning fire watch is on.
Wellman is retiring this Spring so the question is whether he would want to bother with a firing/hiring or
does he leave that for the next AD. Wake is a young team so I think he lets Manning be the next ADs
problem.

Reactions: SpiderK
It's just time to end this marriage. No hard feelings. I don't hate Chris Mooney. I don't despise him or want bad things for him. But it has to be plainly obvious to all involved now that it's time to move on.

- A complete unwillingness to "own" the bad play/coaching: The press conference last night provided a perfect opportunity for him to say some form of the following, which we've all been wanting to hear from him: "these last 2 seasons are unacceptable, I need to do better, losing has been accepted around here as the best we can do and that's not okay, it's not enough to compete, we need to win more," etc.

Tell me you aren't okay with these results. Show some anger/fire/passion. Enough of the same talking points from last week's loss, last months loss, and so on. That lack of accountability permeates to the rest of the program and it's toxic.

- Same script, different day: When we had a 10 point lead early in the 2nd half, I told my wife the game is over. We've already lost. She already knew it too. I knew it. And I bet the players and coaches knew it too.

We've seen it so many times I've lost track. Good game plan, play well, shoot well to get a decent lead (I will give him credit up to this point). But then as soon as the opposing team switches up defense and becomes more aggressive on offense the game is essentially over.

It's the same problems year after year that are plaguing us - poor ft shooting especially in the clutch, rigid defense with no ability to adjust, poor play calling out of time outs, especially late in the game, etc.

- Lack of depth: We need more good players. To me we have a good core but it's just not enough. Enough with the excuses (injuries, discipline, transfers, admissions). With even 2 more average A10 players added to this year's team the season would look totally different.

I truly think in the best interest of our program the decision makers need to find a way to end this relationship.

Last night would have been a good time for JOC to ask Moueigh if he was ready to answer the question he posed earlier in the season, but it looks like the RTD didn’t send him to Brooklyn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT