ADVERTISEMENT

The Good Ole Days

spiderjpo

Assistant Coach
Mar 11, 2004
Sitting around today on a rainy day with no Spider Football and reminiscing about those years at City/UR Stadium. I love Robins Stadium but seems like something has been missing since we moved on-campus. I really miss those student tailgates and later group tailgates where most fans were in one big lot. I miss that flowing fountain on the wall in the Men’s bathroom that intimidated me as a child but would always help to get the job done. I miss hearing the feet pounding in the stands as you walked below smelling the aroma of fries and pronto pups cooking in hot grease. I miss the excitement building as you climbed that dark tunnel that opened up to a beautiful field with lots of fans in the stands cheering as one. I miss the kazoo group doing the fight song in the stands after each touchdown. Most of all, I miss those last couple of years there where we expected to win each week, playoffs were a constant and losing was a surprise. Losing has now become tolerable because it seems to happen far too often. We need a change and we need some new good memories that come with one key piece. WINNING GAMES!

Amen...don't believe we've had a win over a CAA Championship contender at The Brick House since 2016...that's five years ago!...mixed into the wins have been some head scratching losses...

interest and excitement around the program is slowly fading...no significant wins, Championships or Playoff bids...hopefully the new President, the Board and the AD will decide to try and "reboot" things with this very expensive and underperforming University asset...

all you have to do is look back at the last 20 years of Richmond football to see how quickly a program can be turned around...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: spider fan
You got it - also was thinking about City Stadium in reference to the thread on best Richmond football coaches. When the I-A/I-AA "divide" was being discussed one of the requirements/capacity for 1-A was 20,000 per game. We didn't average that but the stadium held around 22,000 and can remember some of the games there when the place was close to full. Recall driving down Cary Street to get to the stadium and also liked the parking close to the field where many people gathered before going into the game.

Reactions: FRS1976 and urfan1
Count me in as someone who wish we never left city stadium. It was a dump, but a dump with character and fans that were there to watch a football game. Leaving there priced out a lot of the townies that would go to the games and didnt want to bother figuring out how to park on our campus. So many storied programs and coaches and games have been played there. I cant recall one epic game at the rob where the atmosphere matched city stadium on an average day. The Flying Squirrels have a more intimidating atmosphere than the Rob.

Personally I think she's on the chopping block once VCU builds the new soccer facility. Kickers will move in there and the city will move to turn it into more bland "affordable" housing for out of towners.

Reactions: FRS1976
I thought I heard someone that the “home stands” had been condemned at city stadium. I do miss it though. Perhaps though the biggest part is missing the winning.

You can still do a little scoreboard watching if only for the schadenfreude it may provide. Losses today by Delaware and JMU made a little scoreboard watching kind of fun today.

JMU missed 2 short field goals at the end to lose by 1 to Villanova. Talk about brining back memories of city stadium!

I was just telling someone today that I actually miss City Stadium because the atmosphere was better. Who woulda thunk it? But it’s true. We got some big crowds there and it was exciting. Even the sets are Robins Stadium over the years haven’t come close to those atmospheres. It was right to build the stadium on campus but it ended up costing us that excitement factor.

It’s possible that the relative stadium excitement has a direct correlation to how good the team is.

Just spitballin’.

Reactions: FRS1976
I was just telling someone today that I actually miss City Stadium because the atmosphere was better. Who woulda thunk it? But it’s true. We got some big crowds there and it was exciting. Even the sets are Robins Stadium over the years haven’t come close to those atmospheres. It was right to build the stadium on campus but it ended up costing us that excitement factor.
Didn’t we hire a marketing team to come in and figure out how to make Robins Center more exciting for basketball.
Maybe they do football stadiums too.
But, as has been said, winning works magic.

Just because we built a stadium on campus didn’t mean that we had to build something so sanitized.

Reactions: urfan1
It’s possible that the relative stadium excitement has a direct correlation to how good the team is.

Just spitballin’.
IDK, we were pretty good under Rocco and the Rob still had the atmosphere of a funeral.

We could start a 25 game winning streak starting with JMU next week and Id be shocked if you would see any noticeable difference in the stadium atmosphere.

Many of the "fans" attending these games are just west end parents looking for a cheap play date for their children who care more about the sweet frog truck and bouncy house than the outcome of the game.

When we left city stadium Richmond still wasn't in full renaissance mode. Tailgating or bar hopping down at Carytown is far more appetizing to me than driving through the windy campus roads that doesnt seem to embrace oncampus football or the outside community.

Had we kept up the current football trajectory with our football program in city stadium we would have the same/similar type of following and support from the media/area sports fans that VCU basketball gets. Lost a ton of potential "new fans" as Bobby Black likes to refer to them when we left city stadium and didn't bother engaging with the students to make up the shortfall.

The rob is nice, but useless for a homefield advantage and recruiting tool if we have useless leadership and an apathetic student fan base that cant be bothered to stay more than a half of football, once a season.

The issue, to me, was that we had demand and footprint for a 15k seat stadium and we built 8K. And we may it clear that sellouts were prioritization. We took pride in turning people away and just catering to a very small group. Pretty much exactly what was predicated to happen has happened.

The issue, to me, was that we had demand and footprint for a 15k seat stadium and we built 8K. And we may it clear that sellouts were prioritization. We took pride in turning people away and just catering to a very small group. Pretty much exactly what was predicated to happen has happened.
The neighborhood and city government dictated the small size of our stadium, not the school

Reactions: Stork3 and urfan1
I thought I heard someone that the “home stands” had been condemned at city stadium. I do miss it though.
This is correct. Kickers need to do more to make that stadium an attraction. Excellent field, great location. 0 excuse to not put more into it with their 40 year lease.
The issue, to me, was that we had demand and footprint for a 15k seat stadium and we built 8K.
No chance one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city was going to allow that to happen, unfortunately.

Maybe if the administration hadn’t screwed around with Bandy Field than maybe the neighborhood wouldn’t have been so antagonist. We left ourselves so few options on the stadium. As mentioned, we could have built it without a track. And I still think we could have built it larger. The city just wanted money…

Unrelated to UR football but I’m the gold ole days did they skip the halftime interviews with the coaches? Those are just awful all around.

As an occasional visitor, I love the stadium, and the fact it's on campus. Tailgating is much better than it ever was at City Stadium, and I love getting there early and walking around campus. It's should also be a real positive to take prospective recruits around campus, and to show off our other football-related facilities, on game days. City Stadium was a dump, parking was a challenge, and the drive back to campus was often harrowing unless one had a DD, which wasn't in vogue in my era.

I said at the time Robins Stadium was built that keeping the track would absolutely kill the atmosphere and I was right (not bragging here, many others said the same thing). The seats are just too far away from the field. Why Miller did not listen more to concerns on that issue (which were many), or why Clawson did not insist on the track being removed, is beyond me.

We could not control the capacity of the stadium, our hands were tied by NIMBY politics. But we could control the layout, and keeping the track was terrible decision that has had a negative impact for more than a decade. Miller has to wear that one.

In a perfect world, we would relocate the track, and re-site the field and Refectory-side grandstand closer to College Road.. Engineering-wise, it's easily possible to move structures of that size relatively intact, and the Refectory grandstand would be an easier move.

That would also create ample room for some sort of indoor practice center/permanent football locker room on the Boatwright Drive end of the Refectory, with an expanded Law School parking lot.

The demise of the fraternity system has decimated student attendance. Almost everyone (40-45) in my house went to the games together at City Stadium; probably half took dates. Multiply that by 11, and you've got about 700-800 active/engaged fans, in addition to the many other non-affiliated students who attended. We probably have about 1/7 of that now.

Plus you would have awesome pregame/postgame parties at the lodges, and a great opportunity for alumni to engage 5-6 times a year. Alums from my frat still have a good pregame tailgater every week; it would be great to be able to have it at our lodge (if it was still standing). And you'd get a better turnout from current Greeks. I'm shocked the remaining houses are ghost towns on football Saturdays when they should be rocking.

I have no idea where a new track could be located. But as far as non-personnel moves go, that should be priority 1 in restoring Richmond football to national FCS prominence.

Last edited:
THere is a way to resolve the size of the stadium and get rid of the track. It’s been done before.
You dig out and lower the field, putting more stands at the extended front walls of either side.
You could probably add a thousand or more seats, and they would be closer to the field.
But, they won’t.

Reactions: DTSpider
Exactly Annap. It’s a relatively easy solution but it likely won’t happen. Unless it would help lacrosse or men’s basketball.

THere is a way to resolve the size of the stadium and get rid of the track. It’s been done before.
You dig out and lower the field, putting more stands at the extended front walls of either side.
You could probably add a thousand or more seats, and they would be closer to the field.
But, they won’t.
The capacity of the field is limited by local ordinance, we are at full allowable capacity. I guess you could remove some end-zone seats to stay at about 8,500.

But doing it your way would entail removing thousands of cubic yards of dirt, requiring hundreds, if not thousands of truckloads on roads not built to handle that type of traffic (I supposed we could put a berm in the far end zone). The NIMBYs already hate UR (even though they love walking, etc., through campus); they would not be happy with a month or two of constant truck traffic.

The entire synthetic surface and drainage system would have to be removed and replaced. Who knows what the water table is at that part of campus. And the existing 7,000 seats in both grandstands would still be too far from the field, just as they are now.

Removing the track and moving the Refectory grandstand closer to College Road would be the faster and cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
As an occasional visitor, I love the stadium, and the fact it's on campus. Tailgating is much better than it ever was at City Stadium, and I love getting there early and walking around campus. It's should also be a real positive to take prospective recruits around campus, and to show off our other football-related facilities, on game days. City Stadium was a dump, parking was a challenge, and the drive back to campus was often harrowing unless one had a DD, which wasn't in vogue in my era.

I said at the time Robins Stadium was built that keeping the track would absolutely kill the atmosphere and I was right (not bragging here, many others said the same thing). The seats are just too far away from the field. Why Miller did not listen more to concerns on that issue (which were many), or why Clawson did not insist on the track being removed, is beyond me.

We could not control the capacity of the stadium, our hands were tied by NIMBY politics. But we could control the layout, and keeping the track was terrible decision that has had a negative impact for more than a decade. Miller has to wear that one.

In a perfect world, we would relocate the track, and re-site the field and Refectory-side grandstand closer to College Road.. Engineering-wise, it's easily possible to move structures of that size relatively intact, and the Refectory grandstand would be an easier move.

That would also create ample room for some sort of indoor practice center/permanent football locker room on the Boatwright Drive end of the Refectory, with an expanded Law School parking lot.

The demise of the fraternity system has decimated student attendance. Almost everyone (40-45) in my house went to the games together at City Stadium; probably half took dates. Multiply that by 11, and you've got about 700-800 active/engaged fans, in addition to the many other non-affiliated students who attended. We probably have about 1/7 of that now.

Plus you would have awesome pregame/postgame parties at the lodges, and a great opportunity for alumni to engage 5-6 times a year. Alums from my frat still have a good pregame tailgater every week; it would be great to be able to have it at our lodge (if it was still standing). And you'd get a better turnout from current Greeks. I'm shocked the remaining houses are ghost towns on football Saturdays when they should be rocking.

I have no idea where a new track could be located. But as far as non-personnel moves go, that should be priority 1 in restoring Richmond football to national FCS prominence.
I personally e-mailed Jim Miller regarding the stadium when it was still in the planning stages. I asked him to please relocate the track and build the stadium around the football field. I included high school and college stadiums around the country as examples. Jim e-mailed me back a pretty detailed message which said, it summary, that higher-ups had deemed that any new facilities would be multi-purpose facilities. I had heard a rumor that big boosters in the D.C. area where raising money to start a lacrosse program at UR. Jim said that he had not heard of that rumor. IMHO, the track wasn't going anywhere. Jim never actually came out and said it; but his message was really long and general, with enough detail where I could get the hint. Just my opinion.

All things considered, we need to start winning games, and need to keep winning games.

I personally e-mailed Jim Miller regarding the stadium when it was still in the planning stages. I asked him to please relocate the track and build the stadium around the football field. I included high school and college stadiums around the country as examples. Jim e-mailed me back a pretty detailed message which said, it summary, that higher-ups had deemed that any new facilities would be multi-purpose facilities. I had heard a rumor that big boosters in the D.C. area where raising money to start a lacrosse program at UR. Jim said that he had not heard of that rumor. IMHO, the track wasn't going anywhere. Jim never actually came out and said it; but his message was really long and general, with enough detail where I could get the hint. Just my opinion.

All things considered, we need to start winning games, and need to keep winning games.
Now we don't even have men's track team while women's soccer was moved over to the other end of campus.

Agree 100% that winning solves everything. If we don’t do any better the rest of this season with this group,
we are going to struggle next few years. But we need a shakeup in our coaching staff in the worst way. Durden
has been a huge disappointment and if there is no other change than him, I can stomach the rest. Satterfield I think
should be given a chance at OC. RH seems to be getting more and more distant from his players and his fans. I hate to
listen to his interviews and worry he has totally lost touch.

The capacity of the field is limited by local ordinance, we are at full allowable capacity. I guess you could remove some end-zone seats to stay at about 8,500.

But doing it your way would entail removing thousands of cubic yards of dirt, requiring hundreds, if not thousands of truckloads on roads not built to handle that type of traffic (I supposed we could put a berm in the far end zone). The NIMBYs already hate UR (even though they love walking, etc., through campus); they would not be happy with a month or two of constant truck traffic.

The entire synthetic surface and drainage system would have to be removed and replaced. Who knows what the water table is at that part of campus. And the existing 7,000 seats in both grandstands would still be too far from the field, just as they are now.

Removing the track and moving the Refectory grandstand closer to College Road would be the faster and cheaper alternative.
Wood Hall, after 10 years I don’t think we’d have a problem increasing the capacity of the stadium.
And yes, you can’t do it by waving a magic wand.
I doubt your way would be cheaper, and there are always going to be seats further away. Have you ever sat in the
nose bleed section of JMU’s stadium?

We’d need a new special use permit to increase capacity. Outside of us, I doubt there’s any desire on the part of the university to fight that battle again.

would love to see a berm on the scoreboard side that comes with pizza boxes for kids to slide down.

Does anyone know how many seats we actually have in our stands. This old article says the plans originally called for 6,200 permanent seats and 1,900 temporary stands. When we first opened, capacity was 8,700 with the end zone stands for students. Now we claim capacity as 8,200 and have eliminated the end zone stands.

Last edited:
Wood Hall, after 10 years I don’t think we’d have a problem increasing the capacity of the stadium.
And yes, you can’t do it by waving a magic wand.
I doubt your way would be cheaper, and there are always going to be seats further away. Have you ever sat in the
nose bleed section of JMU’s stadium?
Their stadium is three times the size of ours. We do not have any nosebleed sections. I've sat in the top row at Robins Stadium, on both sides. It is not high. Both would be outstanding seats if the track was removed and the grandstands were properly relocated.

Their stadium is three times the size of ours. We do not have any nosebleed sections. I've sat in the top row at Robins Stadium, on both sides. It is not high. Both would be outstanding seats if the track was removed and the grandstands were properly relocated.
No further away from the playing field than at City Stadium. Asphalt vs track. I would prefer the track not be there as well. Lowering the field sounds like the better route to me. You would get natural bowl effect by doing so with ability to increase seating further if landscape of changing college athletics dictates. At the rate that our athletics is crashing, it's all wasted discussion anyways.

No further away from the playing field than at City Stadium. Asphalt vs track. I would prefer the track not be there as well. Lowering the field sounds like the better route to me. You would get natural bowl effect by doing so with ability to increase seating further if landscape of changing college athletics dictates. At the rate that our athletics is crashing, it's all wasted discussion anyways.

93309635_10218276358798512_8157672122504708096_n.jpg

The taller grandstand at City Stadium was much closer to the field because it was built over the track. The track clearly does not circle the entire playing field.

The point of removing the track is to get the spectators closer to the action. That's only possible by moving the field closer to College Drive and to the grandstand that will remain in place, and then moving the other grandstand closer to College Drive.

Lowering the field actually moves the current permanent seats further away from the action.

Yes, but puts the new permanent seats on top of the action. My season tickets that I've had from day one are in the last row, 50 yard line home side and are great.

Yes, but puts the new permanent seats on top of the action. My season tickets that I've had from day one are in the last row, 50 yard line home side and are great.
So, we'd have about 1,000 seats closer to the action, but the other 7K even further away. Do it my way and all 8K are closer to the action.

Think how great your current seats would be with the sideline about where the outside lane of the track is. Or even closer.

Any stadium improvement talk is just hot air, anyway, until I see a more genuine commitment to athletics from the BOT and the president.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT