ADVERTISEMENT

Tariffs

When the initial tariff on steel was enacted, my company had to drop 2 American Mfg/suppliers and buy more product from overseas. The prices from those 2 went up over 50% since the start of the year. One of them is going out of business. The other was purchased by a Japanese company. It had been one of the oldest American owned companies in that particular industry. They still have a market outside of the USA, but their US customers are gone. They are moving their production overseas. I have been splitting the price increases with my customers so far. If things continue along the same path, I will lose $15-20K in profits compared to the previous year. Now gas prices are creeping up and the tariffs are going to 25% at the end of the year. My industry is slowing down. It has been since the start of the tariffs. The forecast for next year is not looking good. One employee and I. If things don't change, I will have to let the employee go some time next year. The worst part is I have no control to change the situation. The government is running my business now. I come in to the office, read up on the daily news and check my fax and email for product prices increases. Then I call suppliers for price quotes and product availability. Lots of backorders in the industry. Then I set my prices for the week. After that, then I can actually think about selling some product. At least my business is small and can adapt/makes changes on the fly. I have one container currently in route from China. It left on 9/7/18. It should be here any day. When the latest 10% tariff announcement was enacted a couple of weeks ago, the price on that container went up $3300.00 while it is en route. It is that way for every container that hasn't landed yet. Think about those companies that have 10, 50,100 containers on the water. That can put every company involved with that transaction in the red quickly. As with supply and demand, the product coming from other countries prices increased as well.

Last edited:
it is a shame that governments have to be involved in your business, anyone's business and hopefully trump will end it but it will take some time. hang in there buddy and hope it all gets done quickly and you will still be in business and a lot better off.

keep saying, only the second or third inning, why not wait until the game is done, then comment. plus trump's real objective with china is the protection of our intellectual property

keep saying, only the second or third inning, why not wait until the game is done, then comment. plus trump's real objective with china is the protection of our intellectual property

Spinner,

Share your own “intellectual”property with us by answering this question.

How does a tariff protect intellectual property?

No BS.No rambling.No generalizations.

Last edited:
industries can see what is going on and make adjustments and in the long run will be better off than just having our government say, we are getting scewed, but that is OK.....DUH. trump has taken off the handcuffs stifling business and that is a great positive, given them a tax break, a great positive and now is attempting to level the playing ground on trade which will be a great positive as well. again guys, only the second inning not the ninth. you guys have no patience, well, that is not it, you guys are haters and no matter what trump does, you will attack it, just like nbc business or any other entity or person full of hate.
i sey dis, BIGSPINNER. i not able to actually hate any1 person personally dat i dont nose in person i kin hate their policies tho when u sey trumpf u seem 2 make it personal n dat is wrong, BIGSPINNER
how du i nose dat be wrong
well i nose cuz i kin honestly say dat i nose cuz i nose
hows dat
i jus using ur logic, BIGSPINNER...u nose...givin it a try
nuthin personal 4 sur cuz i dont hate u, BIGSPINNER

u GEEZn me, BIGWEBSPINNER? u GEEZn me?
i ax u a questun u GEEZn me?
cuz if u is u wastn ur time
n mo dan dat i may hafta find me anudder person 2 potentanlly b my guru...
once i decide
u best spain urself
wat du GEEZ mien?

Dow Tumbles 435 Points Because the Trade War Has Finally Come Home

U.S. stocks, including Caterpillar and Fastenal, are increasingly citing the impact of tariffs on their earnings.

10:10 a.m. Look out below.

The S&P 500 has slumped 2% to 2702.49, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average has dropped 435.82 points, or 1.7% to 24,881.59. The Nasdaq Composite has tumbled 2.4% to 7292.53.

Blame China all you want—its issues are big and not going away soon—but the real problem is that the U.S. isn’t immune from the impact of the trade war any more than China is. Just look at recent earnings fromFastenal (FAST) to Caterpillar (CAT) to see companies citing tariffs as a source of rising costs and margin pressures. And the market, remember, is about corporate profits. To make matters worse, the sales of S&P 500 companies are beating forecasts by just 0.4%, not nearly enough to alleviate concerns about those margin pressures.
To which we say: What a mess.

Write to Ben Levisohn at Ben.Levisohn@barrons.com

what??? i thought we were being led to the promised land ... maybe it takes 40 years (or a caravan), give or take, with a burning bush (already achieved via Jeb?) along the way but its the promised land I tell you.

Dow Tumbles 435 Points Because the Trade War Has Finally Come Home

U.S. stocks, including Caterpillar and Fastenal, are increasingly citing the impact of tariffs on their earnings.

10:10 a.m. Look out below.

The S&P 500 has slumped 2% to 2702.49, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average has dropped 435.82 points, or 1.7% to 24,881.59. The Nasdaq Composite has tumbled 2.4% to 7292.53.

Blame China all you want—its issues are big and not going away soon—but the real problem is that the U.S. isn’t immune from the impact of the trade war any more than China is. Just look at recent earnings fromFastenal (FAST) to Caterpillar (CAT) to see companies citing tariffs as a source of rising costs and margin pressures. And the market, remember, is about corporate profits. To make matters worse, the sales of S&P 500 companies are beating forecasts by just 0.4%, not nearly enough to alleviate concerns about those margin pressures.
To which we say: What a mess.

Write to Ben Levisohn at Ben.Levisohn@barrons.com
Report the rest of the story 32. I made a bunch of money today.

think we can handle this, quit growing soy beans if you cannot make a profit, find a market, one can grow whatever they want, not forced to and the chinese will eventually find common ground with us if they give up the stealing of our intellectual property which this is about, not soy beans

think we can handle this, quit growing soy beans if you cannot make a profit, find a market, one can grow whatever they want, not forced to and the chinese will eventually find common ground with us if they give up the stealing of our intellectual property which this is about, not soy beans

Let’s see how these farmers view the genius of Donny and Navarro.

You don’t run a business with employees,you never have,you never worked on a farm.You never reinvented yourself after toiling in the soil with embedded investments over many years.

You’re a generalist with nothing to offer.Collect your social security checks,hump the dog with Medicare and act as if you are an expert on finance and economies.You got nothing except hallow generalities.

will confess that i do not know the intricacies of these trade plans but i do understand, get, what he is attempting to accomplish with what he is doing. you may understand everything, being a star and all but your hatred clouds being able to think straight when it comes to trump and that is a fact.

will confess that i do not know the intricacies of these trade plans but i do understand, get, what he is attempting to accomplish with what he is doing. you may understand everything, being a star and all but your hatred clouds being able to think straight when it comes to trump and that is a fact.
so u 'mit ur ignorance...well, gud. dat b a gud start...but u still got a long way 2 go since u sey it in a wey dat justify it...u needs 2 jus fess up n apologize 4 ur ignorant behavior or else u shud expain why u so emotionally tied to a position that u cant see any merit 2 wat udders sey...i mien it, BIGWEBSPINNER, n u wud feel gud once u du it...
but dis: n yet agin u tell uv no specifics, no facts, nuthin 2 bak up ur sweepin generalizations...how cum?

why u reply, 2 me, BIGWEBSPINNER?
u first gives every reason why u shudnt...den u du
u jus want da last wurd, BIGWEBSPINNER...
I own 2 u

Donny blowing smelly fart air saying he’s close to a China deal.Kudlow exposes the GREAT BS’er.

Trump’s Most Loyal Stooge Blows Up His Midterm Hail Mary

Larry Kudlow went very off script on Friday, declaring the U.S. is nowhere close to a deal with China. Read the full story

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the Chinese Stock market, which has fallen off a cliff since this dispute started:

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/stock-market

We are stronger. We will win- despite the traitorous Left's best efforts to undermine our position.

I have pinned the Politics thread, lets be considerate of others and move all politics to that thread. Thank you for your consideration of others.

Reactions: BillyWayne
32, not sure a deal we will accept is close but the chinese have offered us a couple of good deals which did not include the intellectual property which is the sticking point. either way, we should applaud trump for attempting to obtain a better deal than we have had. that is his job as prez, make us better and he is trying despite all of the haters.

I have pinned the Politics thread, lets be considerate of others and move all politics to that thread. Thank you for your consideration of others.

Thanks, urfan1. I think it's worth a try.

32, not sure a deal we will accept is close but the chinese have offered us a couple of good deals which did not include the intellectual property which is the sticking point. either way, we should applaud trump for attempting to obtain a better deal than we have had. that is his job as prez, make us better and he is trying despite all of the haters.

wat b ur problem, BIGWEBSPINNER? u no kin read da posts?
u b tryn 2 du da dis'spect 2 da moderator?
u jus b n contrary or oblivious?
oh, wait, i think i git it...u just need da last wurd...dat b it..
well, u dont git it...da last wurd, dat is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT