ADVERTISEMENT

TAG

spider fan

Spider's Club
Dec 4, 2003
Not official yet but with 83% of the votes counted TAG has 60% to his opponent's 40% in the 5th Virginia Congressional District and has been projected as the winner. Good to again have a Spider as my representative in a seat held for a number of years by Spider Virgil Goode (97 to 09).

With 94% of the vote in, still 60% to 40%. Game over. Congrats Tom!

CONGRATS TOM!! know you worked hard for this night and will work even harder when you get up there. can see your DAD looking down and smiling.

Congrats Tag. I have always enjoyed speaking with him when we've seen each other at a few games over the years notably up in AC years ago.

Congratulations Tag! While we have never met, I knew a predecessor, Virgil Goode, who lived in Freeman Hall and graduated with me from UR. Virgil was truly special. Visited him at his office in Washington and he never changed. Best wishes to you in the future. OSC

Virgil was a frat bro and a really good guy.
Yep. When I took congressional training on Capitol Hill, two instructors were queried about who was the most honest member of Congress, both said Virgil Goode. True story. OSC

Virgil is the only congressional representative other than my nearby neighbor when I was a boy who would respond himself whenever I wrote him about any issue. He would send me a handwritten reply sometimes as long as three pages explaining why he voted a certain way or supported a certain stand on an issue. Knew him from college and he never changed in his kindness and respect.

what is funny is that Virgil was very unassuming, kind of an "aw shucks", andy griffith, kind of guy but the girls adored him and he could pretty much go out with his choice. he was extremely smart, very active politically while in school and helped out numerous dems' campaigns and ran and was first elected to the state legislature as a dem, went to dc as a dem and worked very hard there but voted his own mind, did not give in to the pressure to vote only party. be nice to have dc loaded with his type rather than folks who only vote party.

By the way, has there been anything about Tom's win from UR?

UR loved touting Tim Kaine as a Spider because he taught a couple law school classes when he had some time.

Tom is a REAL Spider. Where is the love from UR?

hollywood is complete mourning and chaos, they may need some serious help from mental health personnel even though they obtain that without a disaster like this. feel sorry for them.

i am WebSpinner, class of 70, should have been 68 but did a little military time, frat bro of Virgil, and you?

Great day for SpiderNation. Not just because he is a UR graduate, but because he is a huge Spider fan.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
Hopeful that his first piece of legislation will be to eliminate all federal funding to state schools with enrollments of 30,000+ and basketball arenas that seat less than 10,000.

or just federal funding for a ton of things, starting with yours, of course, Eight. great thinking and let's come up with more entities who could do without. seriously, healthcare is a bear, lots of people cannot afford it, our governent cannot afford it so what do you do? get out of the middle east, get out of nato, tax non-profits, churches, schools?

I'm all for taxing churches. They're big businesses. Just drive along River Road and look at those monstrosities. No reason they should all be tax-exempt. Pay taxes like the rest of us. Contribute to the economy.

unfortunately, bricks and mortar are not income though one could feel that if you have that, probably have money as well but in some cases, maybe not. if you do churches, am for all non-profits as well, then we are talking some money. many of these non-profit deals have employees making huge salaries and who could ever forget the guy running the united way with his big ny penthouse and limos, get them all i suggest. the key would be, assuming we had a new revenue source, no new programs, only to pay for what we are currently on the hook for today. let's not forget the power five conferences, need to tax all that money.

Last edited:
unfortunately, bricks and mortar are not income though one could feel that if you have that, probably have money as well but in some cases, maybe not. if you do churches, am for all non-profits as well, then we are talking some money. many of these non-profit deals have employees making huge salaries and who could ever forget the guy running the united way with his big ny penthouse and limos, get them all i suggest. the key would be, assuming we had a new revenue source, no new programs, only to pay for what we are currently on the hook for today. let's not forget the power five conferences, need to tax all that money.

If you really want to make a change, then try this.

If a college makes any revenue from sports, then all revenue including tuition becomes taxable.

Sure, throw the nonprofits into the mix too. Or maybe establish some type of general revenue threshold, above which churches and nonprofits would be taxed and below which they wouldn't be. I agree that some nonprofits, especially the bigger ones that can afford to do so, manipulate their status and have administrators who are getting rich. That is not right.

the income would be great, but if we could just cut spending, huge, enormous but we never really do, we just cut the increase in spending and say, hey we just cut spending. NO, you did not cut spending at all. also getting 90+ million americans back to work would increase income to the treasury as well. create the atmosphere, the environment for that to happen.

would love for us to leave europe for europe to take care of and close all our military bases there and have nato be for those people to figure out. know we have some strategic stuff there but we cannot afford to take care of them.

Spinner, your man in Houston, Joel Osteen, has a net worth in excess of $40M at last count.
Doesn't the Bible address the difficulty of a rich man entering heaven Seems as though I remember something about a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

Do you realize how many multi-millionaires are preachers of the gospel? See Top 50 Ludicrously Wealthy Pastors
Billy Graham - $25M
Joel Osteen - $40M
Pat Robertson - $500M
Where did they get this money? Magical powers? Were tax-exempt organizations involved?

as stated before, think a man, or woman, is entitled to earn what people are willing to pay them. if they have mega or national churches to which tons of people contribute, they deserve that money. am OK with the govt taxing all non-profit entities. last year there was a story about a local minister, an african-american church, who told the congregation that they were having a special offering to pay for replacing the blades on the church helicopter. the talking heads were angry and upset about him asking the congregation for that. turns out that the church also has a jet for his use. to me, if the congregation is willing to purchase a helicopter and a jet for their pastor, their church, they should be willing to pay for their maintenance. their income, wealth, is no different than the clintons' $350 million based on public service.

yes he was and had his hands full. it was nice of those adults to advise and chaperone us despicable and deplorable men back in the day. had several faculty members who also helped us out and we appreciated and more often than not thanked them for their service and sacrifice, am sure it was boring and fairly unpleasant.

TOM GARRETT TOWN HALL MEETING

Very impressive speaker. Handled everything well. You can see the video of the full meeting on FaceBook. Though I do not agree with him on many issues, he seems like a very good Congressman and the video is well worth viewing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT